• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
U1gQso7.gif

Detox

Not even apple can afford detox. We're never getting it. Hopefully they make that straight outta Compton soundtrack.

You guys think they told Dre to sit down and out indefinitely?

Starting to wonder about that. There wasn't as much mileage out of the domestic violence stuff that I thought there would be, but perhaps Apple feels otherwise.

Or maybe it's just the continuation of the re-branding process. This isn't Beats streaming anymore, it's Apple. Still...why not use an asset like Dre for your music service. Not saying he'd have an album ready to go for this (LOL), just that him having 0 public involvement is weird.

I didn't realize Weeknd went platinum last go around honestly.

He didn't. Trilogy sold around 300k, and because it's a triple album each sale is counted as three. So the RIAA views it as selling around 900k.

Same reason why a double album that sells one million records is counted as going double platinum.

Fjordson

Can't Feel My Face is so dope. Even better than The Hills. Abel on his MJ flow.

He didn't. Trilogy sold around 300k, and because it's a triple album each sale is counted as three. So the RIAA views it as selling around 900k.

Same reason why a double album that sells one million records is counted as going double platinum.
That's how Outkast went diamond with Speakerboxxx/Love Below right? 5 million sales x 2 for the double album.

I don't think Dre would be told to sit out because of the domestic charges.. if anything it'll have to do with being involved in that Suge Knight murder smh

That's how Outkast went diamond with Speakerboxxx/Love Below right? 5 million sales x 2 for the double album.

Yup.

Thoughts on Apple brehs? I don't fuck with streaming but I enjoy watching the business competition. I'd imagine Spotify will continue to hold the advantage solely due to the free option. But allegedly they're getting rid of that eventually.

Courage

I don't think it's the domestic charges or the Suge murder. Drake and The Weeknd have a way wider appeal worldwide at the moment. There's no use bringing someone like Dre out to entice people to subscribe. They probably could have if they wanted to, but it wasn't worth the effort.

Fjordson

I think it all looks pretty good, and the price ain't bad. I'm never been into streaming, but we'll see.

I think Apple is actually pretty good about what they do with music, especially considering how tone deaf and out of touch large corporations can be. Like I just saw this on my twitter, they're tweets from the manager of Echo Park Records (they manage Chromatics, Glass Candy, Todd Edwards and a few other acts) talking about Apple and the presser

I remember friends, family & fans freaking out when a new Apple ad rolled out & people would see the artwork for "Kill For Love" in the spot

I remember getting masters from our acts many times and uploading them to iTunes, Apple then getting the music up immediately & featuring it

As a manager of some small, truly independent musicians, Apple has been a great supporter of our acts and have reached out to us many times.

Obviously that's super anecdotal to just one label out of the unending sea of record labels that exist today and small indie groups aren't gonna make the service a mainstream success, but I think Apple cares a lot about music and wants to really get this right.

Nibel

Dre is probably done with doing albums and that's all. Which is kinda sad, I know nothing he does is written or 100% produced by him but dunno man, it's Dre. Kush was great, INAD was trash.

MoodyFog

Yup.

Thoughts on Apple brehs? I don't fuck with streaming but I enjoy watching the business competition. I'd imagine Spotify will continue to hold the advantage solely due to the free option. But allegedly they're getting rid of that eventually.

It seems very promising, just need to see the library..

If spotify gets rid of the free tier they're dead though.

Courage

I understand they have to build a userbase first, but I probably won't be interested until there's a student option that competes with Spotify. Price still remains my number 1 factor as a broke college graduate.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seems like Apple's ace in the hole is Drake premiering snippets via Connect leading up to Views From The 6's release.

It just all seems so redundant considering shit already travels at light speed across twitter/soundcloud/facebook. Now I need to centralize it in your pay-to-use app instead of on twitter where I can RT it, or save it as a favourite or in a set on soundcloud?

The overall tone, which is to be expected for Apple who wants a vicegrip on the industry, of music having all these different outlets and that being confusing/bad for people seemed like a really silly premise. Before there was only radio, then we got the internet and you could read the blogs that post the type of music you want. And their solution to this non-problem is.. to make a radio station and have those blogs make playlists within iTunes? Am I understanding this right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If Apple Music really includes the iTunes catalog, I'm so in.

I've started to really miss having access to a music streaming service since cancelling Spotify several months back. I didn't think I would need it once I had my PC back, but I've come to realize that streaming just suites me better. No streaming service will ever have a library that compares to what you can build with the unlimited access of a desktop PC, but ultimately I'm content with having only what I need vs. having everything. Lots of the time the latter just leads to hoarding anyways. What gives streaming the edge for me is being able to access everything where ever I go, across multiple devices. It's not all contained in a single hard drive that will eventually fail. This is why (aside from gaming) I've already p much made the transition from digital media to streaming. Guess I'm just a transient spirit and I find it liberating to ditch the whole concept of ownership.

MoodyFog

It just all seems so redundant considering shit already travels at light speed across twitter/soundcloud/facebook. Now I need to centralize it in your pay-to-use app instead of on twitter where I can RT it, or save it as a favourite or in a set on soundcloud?

They're not targeting people used to going on soundcloud or leak sites and all that.
For a random person that already has an iphone with the music app integrated in it, it becomes way easier to just go in that app and see what was posted by artists they like, rather than go search what hashtag is pooular and whatnot

BlackJace

If Apple's UX is better than Spotify (Spotify's is getting real shitty), then ill heavily consider switching.

$4.99/mo is so sweet to me. Basically why I'm married to Spotify, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom