• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thundercat EP is out today right? I'm at work, can't check.

Can't wait to give the Vince Staples album a spin. Production credits look amazing (almost entirely No ID and DJ Dahi), and I saw some pretty good impressions on The Coli and twitter.

Literally makes me go back and re-think all my opinions of his music.

Be self-serious brehs. Drink your own cool-aid.

- Kanye stan
xgmJNhy.gif

T Dollarz

Holy fuck, this new Doppelgangaz EP is FIRE. Was not expecting it to be this good, but I'm not sure why cause I've loved their last two albums. This is really great.

DominoKid

I absolutely love D'Angelo's music.... But talk about being conscious when you spent like 14 years after your sophomore album doing coke, cutting your ties in the industry, crashing your car while on drugs and getting arrested for soliciting an undercover cop instead of releasing your third album brehs.

yeah breh aint shit lmao

December 1989 rap singles chart: https://www.billboard.com/charts/rap-song/1989-12-30

Lots of love and party tracks just like today.

1992 (click the date to see the chart): https://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1992/rap-song

More diversity, at least on the dates I clicked; Public Enemy had the #1 rap song in the country for a week in 1992 (Shut Em Down). Ultimately party and love tracks have ALWAYS dominated radio, in every genre. I think it's fair to argue there was more diversity back then, and even into the mid 90s. Today nearly every rap song on urban radio is about drugs, partying, fucking, etc - and they're almost all club tracks. There's very little positivity on urban radio unless you count "I have x and you don't" records. It's hard to deny D'Angelo's point in that sense.

The general disinterest in social awareness continues to baffle me. I'm not saying everyone needs to be like Ice Cube in 1992 but I'm still stunned that almost no one had shit to say about police brutality/Stand Your Ground/etc from 2012-2014. That literally makes no sense to me, and is frankly pathetic. This is easily the generation of rappers the most divorced from their audience..

Koozek

Just had a good look through that Billboard list.

What happens to rappers after they stop being hot? They all got to get regular jobs?

I wonder about that, too, all the time. Coolio is a cook now or something. Many of the Golden Era cats are still living off of touring in the EU or Asia, where they sometimes have a second career or are even bigger than at home.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just had a good look through that Billboard list.

What happens to rappers after they stop being hot? They all got to get regular jobs?
If they don't have their publishing together (i.e. Sir Mix-A-Lot) or retain fanbases they can eat off of (i.e. Joe Budden), yeah.

Fjordson

It's an ep...
That's true lol I guess I'm just greedy, I dunno.

Yeah, good shit but waaaay too short. Is there a bigger project coming?
Yeah, and it sucks when a track just ends up being a short interlude. I get that it's to help establish the mood or whatever, but it cuts down an already short project. Works better on a full length imo.

You're really looking forward to a Fort Minor return breh? Shit was corny to me when I was 12 and judging the NBA on TNT for choosing them as the playoff theme.
Oh god, that fuckin song. NBA seared it into my brain.

Ninja Dom

I wonder about that, too, all the time. Coolio is a cook now or something. Many of the Golden Era cats are still living off of touring in the EU or Asia, where they sometimes have a second career or are even bigger than at home.

If they don't have their publishing together (i.e. Sir Mix-A-Lot) or retain fanbases they can eat off of (i.e. Joe Budden), yeah.

Damn! What other regular jobs have you heard of rappers doing after their career is over?

I saw Coolio like you said, cooking. Capadonna from Wu was a taxi cab driver.

Furyous

CLASSIC

these double standards whew, fam has zero tolerance for any other reality than Troy Aves

This dude is slowly getting pushed towards saying something that'll kill his career.

We're getting there swiftly. Once he goes full elitist 90's New Yorker the backlash will happen. His weirdo stance is real disrespectful when you think about it: he's telling someone from another region if they dress differently or talk about different topics than their 90's counterparts then they're weirdos. WAIT, WAT?

He's lowkey sending shots at Manolo Rose in this interview with the "guys following the trends of other regions trying to get radio play" angle.

Kendrick is currently rehearsing with his band to recreate To Pimp a Butterfly on stage (“It has to be explosive”) but he already has an ambitious concept for his next album. “I know exactly what I want to say next,” he says with a teasing smile, still playing with his gum. “Everything is going to make sense – not only to myself but to anybody who wants to understand life and music. Everything will make a little more sense

Good to hear. Too bad he can't just take Thundercat and Terrace Martin on the road; both have their own shit going on. Still I'm sure his band will be dope. This album has to be done organically - most tracks simply won't hit as hard if they're just coming from an iMac on stage.

MoodyFog

" to anybody who wants to understand life and music"

Kendrick about to try and make an album even more pretentious, can't wait

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
*Jamie-Foxx'excuseme.gif*

You didn't like anything from monster, 56 nights or beast mode?

I don't know how I feel about you any more, Enzo.
Low key been listening to Lay Up.

" to anybody who wants to understand life and music"

Kendrick about to try and make an album even more pretentious, can't wait
That's what I got out of it as well.

Kendrick is 100% on his way to Lupe status at a wildly accelerated pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom