• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

The Boogie mixtape (The Reach, still haven't checked out Thirst 48) is definitely not what I expected going off of Oh My. Much more laid back but there's some nice tracks on it, it has a summer vibe which I'm feeling ATM.
The opening track is great, can't believe they sampled My Love by Route 94, I love that vocal melody and was often thinking about sampling it for a beat, guess they were thinking ahead of me lol. Still, a dope song.

T Dollarz

The Boogie mixtape (The Reach, still haven't checked out Thirst 48) is definitely not what I expected going off of Oh My. Much more laid back but there's some nice tracks on it, it has a summer vibe which I'm feeling ATM.
The opening track is great, can't believe they sampled My Love by Route 94, I love that vocal melody and was often thinking about sampling it for a beat, guess they were thinking ahead of me lol. Still, a dope song.

Yeah, I peeped it yesterday and thought it was pretty nice.

Man, I still can't get over the Yes Yes Remix off the new Slum Village. So good. Great album.

RP912

Banned

Honestly, Thirst 48 has more Oh My type of tracks than The Reach. Both mixtapes are equally dope though.

On another note...

That Been That track though....sweet Jesus.

Musical Tastes

Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - Atlantistan since I'm near it
What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Grime, Backpack, WC, Alternative Hip Hop, Jazzy Hip Hop, 90s Hip Hop, Down South Country Tunes, Some Drill hop...fuck it anything besides that swag shit.
Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - MF Grimm, Nas, MF Doom, Kendrick Lamar, OG Maco (Fuck it dude makes powerful music)
Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Nicolay, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Thundercat, Flying Lotus (technically)
What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? Last Year- Flying Lotus: You're Dead...This Year- Kendrick Lamar- To Pimp a Butterfly
What are you listening to right now? - A$AP Ferg- Trap Lord, Boogie- The Reach, Camp lo- Ragtime Hightimes
What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? Drum and Bass...Mainly Electronic music, also Japanese Drill music is the shit.
Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Royce the 5'9
1. Death is Certain
2. Bar Exam 2
3. Bar Exam 1

GAF-Hop Discusses

What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? I love the variety and the flood of music within the genre, but wish rappers were hungry and not faking the funk (You're broke and trying to get a deal...stop bullshitting)
Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? Ghostface of course...
Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? Nas, Biggie, and OG Maco (YEAHH YEAHH YEAHH)
What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? Jay Rock's album
Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? J-Live- Underrated...Jay Z- Overreated
Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? Booty eating gang repping
Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? both
Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? Hell no...I have a family dammit :/
Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? Tough one...I'll say Pharell Williams...finest I'll say Jhene Aiko.
Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago...My eye swelled up from allergies to the point I look like a brown skinned Uncle Ruckus :(

That's about it. This isn't my first time introducing myself, but I think we got off at the wrong start since I said I was a Canibus fan which I apologize for such fuckery.

Welcoming another real ninja to the squad.

overcast

*edit this slum village tho
Oh yeah, I haven't listened to that.
Interview with most of TDE, only missing SZA I guess?
- Jay Rock album within the next month, mixing right now
- Everyone says they're working on stuff.
- Kendrick/Q comment on Charleston shooting, emphasize pain/hate narratives I guess
Damn, they're dropping it that soon then. Guess that makes the most sense for Rock. Why hype it up.
I'm feeling good about this next batch of albums. Can't be worse than Oxymoron/These Days. Kendrick delivered again but this time I expect the rest of the camp to at least not embarrass themselves. Jay Rock's album should be dope, Q can't do worse than Oxymoron IMO, Rashad will drop another dope project.

....Ab Soul is finished tho
He can definitely do worse than Oxymoron. That album still lands in the pretty solid tier. Got some great tracks on there. He might go less commercial, I have no idea. Not sure where he is at. Soul is done; would be floored if his next project is anything more than a 6/10
Good to hear the new Meek is bangin after all these smarty pants records we've been getting this year.
I mean there have been plenty of records to bump too.

HiResDes

If I learned anything after listening to ALLA it's that an artist can definitely go downhill even from a commercial sophomore release. My mom fucks with Studio pretty heavy. Asked me to put the Poolboy track on her Nano. Hell of a Night or whatever it's called is irredeemable trash though.

injurai

Banned

need... want...

Truth is they probably won't meet expectations either way. Obsidian pulled off PoE because they were an existing studio which already had a tried and true production pipeline setup. Any kickstarter that is a brand new team put together I take with a giant heaping of salt.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Did we all laugh at this already?

Dej Loaf Fist Fight with Manager During BET Soundcheck

Dej Loaf checked someone during a BET soundcheck, and the guy ended up in the ER.

The rapper, who's nominated for 3 BET Awards and scheduled to perform, was at rehearsal Saturday at the Nokia Theatre when 2 of her former managers showed up unannounced.
We are told Dej Loaf and the hired help ended on bad terms just a week ago. The 2 managers wanted to "talk it out" with her and, needless to say, it didn't go well.

Dej Loaf, her brother and her new management got into a scuffle with the old manager... leaving him with a cut forehead.

The manager went to the hospital for stitches.

Know what bothers me about Q?

Biggie and Nas, put they ass in a blender
Throw in some 50, then came out this ni**a

Really now? He doesn't remind me of any of those dudes in any way. In fact, his whole swagger on that verse just kinda pisses me off.

overcast

Really now? He doesn't remind me of any of those dudes in any way. In fact, his whole swagger on that verse just kinda pisses me off.
Definitely has some 50 in him, other 2 are just classic GOAT figures that serve as a point that he's dope.

Never met a person who talks bad about Q's verse on Brand New Guy.

Dereck

If I learned anything after listening to ALLA it's that an artist can definitely go downhill even from a commercial sophomore release. My mom fucks with Studio pretty heavy. Asked me to put the Poolboy track on her Nano. Hell of a Night or whatever it's called is irredeemable trash though.
Poolboy, hahaha

HiResDes

Definitely has some 50 in him, other 2 are just classic GOAT figures that serve as a point that he's dope.

Never met a person who talks bad about Q's verse on Brand New Guy.
Microwave oven while you out there coffin, you over there lovin, that bitch be my stuffing like we really be fucking... Phenomenal verse.

Dude can rap listened to Setbacks recently, underrated tape to be honest. His verse on that first Druggy Wit Hoes might be his best.

Courage

Summertime 06 is a good album but Vince just isn't that interesting really. Can't shake off how familiar and derivative he sounds at times. Fortunately, this is something that can be improved, as it is only his debut album. I personally felt Earl has the better sadboyz dark-vibes album this year.

Nibel

Whew @ that score. Safe to bump this ish now. Was worried I'd have to drop it.

We been posting bout Vince for some time now and yet you decided to trust P4K instead of us

bvzcddi4fpgw.png

Microwave oven while you out there coffin, you over there lovin, that bitch be my stuffing like we really be fucking... Phenomenal verse.

Dude can rap listened to Setbacks recently, underrated tape to be honest. His verse on that first Druggy Wit Hoes might be his best.

Yeah it's the best druggy with hoes too.

Fjordson

Summertime 06 is a good album but Vince just isn't that interesting really. Can't shake off how familiar and derivative he sounds at times. Fortunately, this is something that can be improved, as it is only his debut album. I personally felt Earl has the better sadboyz dark-vibes album this year.
Totally feel like that at times also. The album sounds really good, though, so I'm able to enjoy it front to back with that production.

We been posting bout Vince for some time now and yet you decided to trust P4K instead of us

bvzcddi4fpgw.png
Haha, I'm just teasing. Though P4K is a serious tastemaker for some people I know. They ain't down until that BNM badge shows up.

Dereck

S A D B O Y Z

HiResDes

Thug Angel the best sadboys style tape of the year.

Grzi

Earl tries way too hard to be smart and witty and I have a problem taking him seriously since he's basically a kid. Vince sounds much more honest, you can tell he's saying what he wants to say and not what people expect to hear from him.

Earl tries way too hard to be smart and witty and I have a problem taking him seriously since he's basically a kid. Vince sounds much more honest, you can tell he's saying what he wants to say and not what people expect to hear from him.

Eh...

I didn't get any of that from Earl's album. Interviews and tweets? Sure, I get a whiff of pretentiousness. But his new album seems like it's almost entirely focused on his self: how he perceives things in his life, how fame and expectations have impacted him, etc. There aren't really macro level statements on the album.

I won't comment on Vince's album yet because I need to sit with it (didn't have time to finish it on my first listen) but in general he's very open about shit. He makes some attempts at macro level shit, which sometimes feels lol worthy (some of his Obama/politics comments). But overall his lens is focused on himself, his hood, and the homies.

new meek aint got shit on dreams and nightmares. it's alright though.

really like what's the word on that tape too. simple verses but it's his most goonie song.

The first time I heard Setbacks I commented in the thread that he sounded like 50 Cent. Hell, half of the production on Setbacks are G Unit type beats. It's become less pronounced as he embraced the Niki Minaj multiple tone rapping, but it's still there.

IrishNinja

what's the next major release ya'll waiting on? not feelin like yeezy season

need... want...

Truth is they probably won't meet expectations either way. Obsidian pulled off PoE because they were an existing studio which already had a tried and true production pipeline setup. Any kickstarter that is a brand new team put together I take with a giant heaping of salt.

its the same team bruh

FZZ

Banned
Has the new Ye snippet been deleted from the internet?

Can't find it anywhere other than a four second video from twitter.

overcast

Yeah, in my opinion he can rap pretty damn well for a swag rapper. Even on Oxy he has some great verses but the production and direction of the album just felt incomplete/lacking. Druggies wit Hoes, What's the word, Kamikaze, fig and betigotsumweed are all dope.

Might be wrong is a real shit track off Staples album. Brings the album to a halt quick

Might be wrong is a real shit track off Staples album. Brings the album to a halt quick

I actually really like that track because it's basically a Cocaine 80s interlude, and it acts as a good palette cleanser deep into the album that gets you ready for that final stretch of tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom