• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? Influences? Samples? Styles?

Also, Favorite Dilla Albums?
Not Donuts pls

Also Also, Tokus you post good gifs. You da real mvp.

Dilla_-_w2d.jpg

Probably how he flipped the styles on his new album. It reminds me of how Dilla did beats with the heavy bass and flitering. As far as my favorite Dilla album...besides Donuts lol, I love his vinyl years album. Dat she said remix tho..

i haven't heard the new Pete Rock album so maybe I'm wrong (and maybe you're talking about something different), but hasn't the whole heavy bass and filtering always been Pete Rock's signature since his early SP-1200 days in the early 90's?

RP912

Banned
Dilla_-_w2d.jpg

i haven't heard the new Pete Rock album so maybe I'm wrong (and maybe you're talking about something different), but hasn't the whole heavy bass and filtering always been Pete Rock's signature since his early SP-1200 days in the early 90's?

I dunno...it just seems like I'm getting Dilla vibes from his new album compared to his old work. Like I said it's probably how he flipped the samples which didn't sound like typical Pete Rock beats. I could be reaching though...

I couldn't get far into the Pete Rock album tbh, it's rather weak. I'll give it another try soon. Doesn't remind me of Dilla at all so I'm confused by the comparisons. Early Pete Rock? Sure, of course. Hard drums, bass, interesting sample flips. But modern Pete Rock? ehhh...

Dilla used to look up to Pete Rock and he was a heavy inspiration to his style. You can definitely hear it in their 90s/00s work.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I couldn't get far into the Pete Rock album tbh, it's rather weak. I'll give it another try soon. Doesn't remind me of Dilla at all so I'm confused by the comparisons. Early Pete Rock? Sure, of course. Hard drums, bass, interesting sample flips. But modern Pete Rock? ehhh...

Dilla used to look up to Pete Rock and he was a heavy inspiration to his style. You can definitely hear it in their 90s/00s work.
How early are we talking? I though those were all decade or two old beats?

How early are we talking? I though those were all decade or two old beats?

It's a mixture of unreleased and new stuff. I'm assuming the unreleased stuff is largely from the aughts.

How many legit dope Pete Rock beats can you remember from that era to today? Even Premo shits out a good track every few years. That Watch The Throne track is from 1997 btw.

IrishNinja

this staples aint bad so far

yeah, and again as someone who still revisits petestrumentals from time to time, this doesn't feel like it has that resonance for me

Interview with most of TDE, only missing SZA I guess?
- Jay Rock album within the next month, mixing right now
- Everyone says they're working on stuff.
- Kendrick/Q comment on Charleston shooting, emphasize pain/hate narratives I guess

Q out here looking like a washed up wrestler hawking autographs lmao.

Sounds like TDE realized Jay Rock will never do big numbers and are just gonna release the project for the fans. If Isiah Rashad could do 14k first week without anyone knowing who he was, I'd imagine Jay Rock can at least double that (or come close).

I'm feeling good about this next batch of albums. Can't be worse than Oxymoron/These Days. Kendrick delivered again but this time I expect the rest of the camp to at least not embarrass themselves. Jay Rock's album should be dope, Q can't do worse than Oxymoron IMO, Rashad will drop another dope project.

....Ab Soul is finished tho

DWMTM is pretty cool.

Lord Knows :WOW: but doesn't touch D&N's intro

Ambitionz
I Got The Juice
R.I.C.O.
Stand Up
The Trillest

keepers right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom