• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah 40 fucked up, dude was in pure damage control mode as opposed to framing it like QM did. 40 was using all this vague language and not addressing it directly while this dude who apparently worked in a bakery put out a proper press release. Also, don't forget Started From The Bottom (Ebro mentioned that too).

Sounds like as the NWTS era was revving up dude was quietly picking up all these different street MCs (I use this term loosely) and re-recording the vocals. Probably the reason for him switching up his tone/voice the way he does on a lot of those songs. It's a shame, really. Also probably explains why his label isn't taking off, because he's only signing the dudes who make songs that are too garbage for him to use for himself.

The only way Drake can make up for this is if he goes on Sway and does 5 Fingers of Death lol

This makes NWTS era Drake even more laughable. I specifically remember him saying it would be him at his best, rap wise, and how he was studying Nas. Whoops.

PBY

Banned
Dont understand why anyone cares who wrote what.

Ye has hella shit ghost written. Still the GOAT.

That 10 Bands reference track is so much wacker than what we actually got, it wouldn't even track on the Creative Showcase at KTT.

Nibel

That 10 Bands reference track is so much wacker than what we actually got, it wouldn't even track on the Creative Showcase at KTT.

Breh

Hiphop

The culture

My GOAT top 10

+ the mainstream never forgets about anything

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

yo damn

Ye is a producer though, that makes it different. Ye out here telling 5 different people 6 different rappers he thinks are the best right now. Ye has also been relatively open book about this for a long time, saying he'd rather help cultivate something or help artists reach plateaus.

Drake giving dudes a cheesesteak and some liner note space and rerecording over others for his biggest hits over the past 2 years.The Slaughterhouse guys said it, dude is just no longer in certain hip-hop conversations because of this debacle. Which wouldn't be a problem if dude hasn't been gunning for those exact accolades. And we all know how bad he wanted to, too.

Fjordson

Man, even the sports world weighing in.

6FDUDG3.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean before this week y'all really had him in the discussion? He was on your list?
He frequently appears next to Cole and Kendrick on people's favourite modern rapper and lyricist lists, propped up by his quotable game, variety and longevity (as opposed to say, technical ability or tackling broader social isses that you'd side with Kendrick over).

Honestly I expected Kanye fans to have the knives out for Drake, simply because he has virtually made Kanye irrelevant and might knock Swish into 2016. A Drake fall from grace can only help Kanye - at least, in the minds of Kanye stans.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
He frequently appears next to Cole and Kendrick on people's favourite modern rapper and lyricist lists, propped up by his quotable game, variety and longevity (as opposed to say, technical ability or tackling broader social isses that you'd side with Kendrick over).
He's on a list of rappers with quotable songs with good beats, he's an entertaining artist but that's about it. J. Cole should be vouched for (in a less relevant category) Kendrick without hesitation but I never really though anyone took drake seriously in the grand scheme of best rappers. His only accolades are his sales and popularity. That's why I don't really care about this situation. I'm surprised most of you are.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly I expected Kanye fans to have the knives out for Drake, simply because he has virtually made Kanye irrelevant and might knock Swish into 2016. A Drake fall from grace can only help Kanye - at least, in the minds of Kanye stans.
How out of touch can you be? Especially with the two fanbases that probably overlap more than any other two you can name? That also want to do a duet album with each other? With an artist that Kanye also had a big part in helping come up and has given the highest praise?

Kanye is not gonna reach as many people again because, like he said, the generation can't relate to him like they can Drake or whoever comes next. He's into executive production, mentoring and experimental production; that throws out most casual rap fans off the jump.

Fjordson

Slightly off-topic, but has there been any updates on Kanye's album lately? Do people think he's dropping this year? I thought something was brewing for a while there with the newer tracks, but now it's been quiet.

Koozek

Haven't there been rumors about Nas having ghostwriters, too?

Ye generally isn't really considered to be a GOAT rapper like Jay, Nas, etc. anyway, is he? He was at his best around Late Registration and the Freshmen tapes and at that time he was one of the dopest rappers flow-wise, imo. The way he stretched and twisted words was fresh as hell. Now most of it was probably ghostwritten by Cons and Rhymefest, but he made up for that through his unique flow, but in the end I was a fan of him as a producer and beat-maker as a whole. He's getting worse, though, and it sounds to me like the reason is that he mostly writes on his own since Yeezus.

In the end I don't care for lyricism in rap anymore like I used to and even less about technique (GTFOH with your rappidy-rap, lyrical-miracle-spiritual-individual like Slaughterhouse, etc.). It's all about the flow, swag, ear for melody, song building, etc. now. Drake is one of the bests in that regard, even if it's true that it's more than just homies bouncing around ideas and references in the stu. Drake has his trademark sound since 2009, that's him. Now the words might not be. Who knows. Anyway, the most relevant stuff always was his personal songs and I doubt that those were ghostwritten. I mean, he's not Dre.

Let's not be naive, there were rumors about Nas or Jay having ghostwriters, too, over the last decade. What about those?

While we're at it: let's do a quick Top 5 GOAT. I have to think about it some more, though. Will post later.

on the news at 11: kanye west fanboys have trouble understanding why having a legit pen game matters

I'd say it's more along the lines of having roots in genres where lyrics aren't necessarily as important as everything else.

And that's about the nicest way I can put that
GohfqAoo.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think Jay or Nas would have a ghostwriter.

Jay would rather just shit out a turd.

Nas is too nice, but in one of his coked out romps, he might do it.

Fjordson

While we're at it: let's do a quick Top 5 GOAT. I have to think about it some more, though. Will post later.
Ghostface
Kool G Rap
Andre 3000
Slick Rick
Snoop (feels weird to say it these days, but whatever)

More just my favourites as opposed to the objective GOAT, though.

HabeeNo

Kno The Meaning grew a lot in me, best song in the album IMO

Future rapping on a different flow than Fuck up some commas sounds so good, not to mention the very lay back beat, so good

Esch

Banned
If you've sold more than 1 Plat album and had a couple hits at the very least you've done some studio bar trading imo

Slightly off-topic, but has there been any updates on Kanye's album lately? Do people think he's dropping this year? I thought something was brewing for a while there with the newer tracks, but now it's been quiet.

He's writing another acoustic smash hit, this time about Catelyn Jenner.

BlackJace

Forreal tho, would anybody really be shook if they found out an artist they like had ghostwriters?
Seems like a pretty inoffensive thing if the artist never prided themselves on dat "true authenticity" in the first place.

Courage

Forreal tho, would anybody really be shook if they found out an artist they like had ghostwriters?
Seems like a pretty inoffensive thing if the artist never prided themselves on dat "true authenticity" in the first place.
It's always situational. If you find out that artist uses one occasionally on a single, then that's fine really. If you find out that artist uses ghostwriters for the bulk of their work, then yeah that's disappointing. And that's what seems to be happening with Drake. It decreases your worth as a musician in this genre. It's rap after all.

Kyzer

Banned
https://twitter.com/OGMaco/status/624664444316987392

OG Maco (QM's friend): "Yall can tweet me this all day.
All I'm seeing is a nigga I once respected playing himself.
Period. "(referring to QM stating he is not and never will ghostwrite for drake)

People thinking its not a big deal...idk. Are you hip hop fans? Like "the game" that all these rappers talk about and fans are observing, taking bets on, is the competition of theiir rapping skills...thats the whole culture...hell its 50% of drake's lyrics..."I can tell you not a rapper." which is invalidated if you have other people writing entire verses for you. He's now just a vocalist. I get it more than other people too. Songwriting predates hip hop. When rappers made it to the bigger level they were introduced to writing teams for commercial music production, and it fused from there. But still. Yo. If it was really the whole RICO verse...

For a genre that prides itself on competition between it's contemporaries, it should be a big deal. The thing is though, with a rapper like Drake...is anyone really surprised?

WanderingWind said this pages ago but dude practically bought himself into the game. Don't be surprised if he's buying verses too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom