• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Can't believe ya'll aren't talking about any of the recent releases. Enzo has been mum about the new DJ Mustard, so it must be ass? YRN the Album is up for stream, Dej Loaf, Trae the Truth and the L'Orange/Kool Keith getting no discussion really.

Nibel

GAF HOP lOT 14l The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Pretty good, but also way too connected to an event that will be over sometime; I prefer something more timeless tbh

jordan37rs4j.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't believe ya'll aren't talking about any of the recent releases. Enzo has been mum about the new DJ Mustard, so it must be ass? YRN the Album is up for stream, Dej Loaf, Trae the Truth and the L'Orange/Kool Keith getting no discussion really.
It has like 8 features from a Drake-sounding guy named DrakeO. No thanks.

Kool Keith in 2015? I'll listen to a track
YRN? I'll go with this
Dej Loaf? Wait till Spotify, most likely pass
Trae? Pass

Too much drama to listen to any music. Everybody is just f5ing thecoli.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Slaughterhouse talks Drake/Meek beef. Even better discussion than the Vic Mensa one, they all have pretty different opinions on what this means (or if it means anything at all), the value of lyricism and more. And yeah, it's not the rappity rap dusthead perspective you'd expect.

Rosenberg reiterates Drake bought Hold On, We're Going Home in full.

Also sounds like they can't get a release date lol

Fjordson

Slaughterhouse talks Drake/Meek beef. Even better discussion than the Vic Mensa one, they all have pretty different opinions on what this means (or if it means anything at all), the value of lyricism and more. And yeah, it's not the rappity rap dusthead perspective you'd expect.

Actually a great discussion. Dudes making a lot of sense. Meek / Drake shit starts at about 7:40.

edit: Joell at 13 minutes with facts on facts.

HiResDes

Damn, I didn't know the Kool Keith / L'orange album was out. Will check that and YRN out.

edit: also been bumping that Tory Lanez EP Cruel Intentions that came out last month. Anyone who didn't already should check it, it's dope: http://cruelintentions.us/

Yeah it's cool, got some fire ass producers as usual. I'm surprised a Drake stan like you ain't all over Tory Lanez you should check out some of his old tapes too.

Fjordson

Yeah it's cool, got some fire ass producers as usual. I'm surprised a Drake stan like you ain't all over Tory Lanez you should check out some of his old tapes too.
Haha, I think he's dope. I think you turned me onto him when you posted Lost Cause last year.

Gonna be very interesting to see how bad Slaughterhouse ruin a production credits list that includes Just Blaze, Araab Muzik, Cardiak, Justice League, and Illmind lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lost Cause was a grower for me. I think he's still a bit away from stepping into his own and still sounds super derivative to me, but he's on the right track.

Also dead @ Joell's face when they say Drake pays Quentin $5k a month.

5 grand a month?
5 GRAND A MONTH?
Drake is a super successful artist. 5 Grand... falls shy of what I would believe he should be getting.

Az

Thanks for this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay, this is entirely knee jerk, but I listened to the first several tracks off of YRN the album before losing interest. Sounded like a continued regression of their sound on the original YRN and NL2. Really cheap and generic sounding prod. and an absence of the fun and infectious sound-writing that made them stand out. Further proof that the distinction between mixtape and album means pretty much nothing for some of these artists at least.

HiResDes

Okay, this is entirely knee jerk, but I listened to the first several tracks off of YRN the album before losing interest. Sounded like a continued regression of their sound on the original YRN and NL2. Really cheap and generic sounding prod. and an absence of the fun and infectious sound-writing that made them stand out. Further proof that the distinction between mixtape and album means pretty much nothing for some of these artists at least.

Keep listening breh, and come back. There are two west-coast gangsta tracks on it that are straight fire! Sounding Migos paying homage to NWA. Cocaina pretty fire too!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You're right, I should wait to react until I have a proper sit down with it. Probably should smoke something first too.

I view rap through a couple different lens. There's nothing wrong with fun records that are good. Even going back to the 90s you can list a billion dope ass songs from artists that didn't have a great album or career. Kris Kross have dope tracks. I can understand someone not really feeling Naughty By Nature's album but loving the singles. Craig Mack comes to mind.

But there's another category of rappers who I tend to take more seriously, watch their careers, and judge on a higher scale. Keeping in the 90s...Biggie, Nas, Jay, Prodigy, Raekwon, Ghostface, Method Man, DMX, Redman, Scarface, etc...at various points you could make an argument that each was the best rapper out. You could compare each to others on the list, debate the weaknesses and strengths, etc. Nobody would put Craig Mack in that category but that wouldn't stop you from enjoying Flava In Ya Ear, nahmean.

Today I use a similar standard. I LOVE that Commas song by Future, it might be my favorite single of this year. But when I give DS2 my first listen this weekend I'm not gonna be thinking aite, how does this compare to Reasonable Doubt. A good song is a good song, lyrics and content don't dominate...and not every artist should be held to the same level of greatness.

So I judge those who want to be judged. Cole has been very vocal from day one about his aspirations, he considers himself a lyricist...so I judge him as one. Not every Cole song has to be lyrical, just as not every Jay song was lyrical, but album wise and from a general artist perspective I hold him to a standard. What type of debut album does he have, how is his storytelling, metaphors, etc. And truth be told he measures pretty low in many of those areas, although he's clearly a "good" rapper. Kendrick wants to be judged too...how does his debut album, storytelling, metaphors, etc hold up. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Then we come to Drake. He constantly talks about wanting to be the best. He was vocal about listening to Nas while writing NWTS in order to change up his flows. Debut album, storytelling metaphors, etc...pretty low. Drake makes some amazing records though. 0 To 100 is a classic song IMO. That shit is perfect. Started From The Bottom is amazing. He has a lot of stuff like that. But the fact that he uses ghostwriters ensures he can never be considered one of the greats. It's like the cherry on top of what isn't a particularly impressive BODY of work. He's not a good storyteller, no metaphors, more corny than clever, very repetitive flow, etc.

Because of this I'm more apt to view Drake in that Craig Mack category than the Jay category. Obviously Drake has had far more hits than Mack, but even if Mack had 10 Flava In Ya Ear tier singles would anyone compare him to Jay? I'm guessing not. Ironically I say that as someone who doesn't even like Flava In Ya Ear lol. Point being it was a hit song.

Fjordson

I agree that Drake's never been the GOAT on a purely technical level as an MC, not even close, and probably never will be. And if the amount of stuff he didn't actually write keeps expanding and goes way back then yeah, that knocks him down even further as far as a pure MC. But for some people a list of MC's with technical prowess doesn't necessarily line up with a list of their favourite MC's. Especially nowadays. I think the genre's expanded enough to where Drake can be considered a quality artist for some people (though even as far as just an artist in general I don't consider him the GOAT or even like top 10).

This isn't a perfect comparison, but it's like someone who listens to garage rock over Rush or some shit. I have a friend who loves Rush, loves their musicianship and all that. Whereas I can't stand them. I'd rather listen to someone like The Sonics cover Chuck Berry. It's super simple garage rock, but it affects me more than the technical prowess of a band like Rush. It's sort of similar to Kendrick vs. Drake. Kendrick clearly knows what he's doing on the mic and is better technically than Drake, but his delivery and just the way he sounds + a lot of the production simply doesn't do it for me.

Dunno if any of that makes sense. I'll just say I don't begrudge anyone who isn't into Drake and totally understand how he doesn't usually bring to the table what some people are looking for in a hip-hop artist.

also, I know people are getting tired of my Drake posts. I need to chill, honestly as big of a Drake stan as I seem on here lol

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Drake has always been a mediocre lyricist yet she's entertaining, and that's really the only appeal that matters to the majority. I've never taken her seriously when she says she's the best because I always took it as her talking about popularity and sales. The truth is the girl is not nice with pen but she can make songs I can bump my head to. As PD said sometimes that's okay. In the grand scheme of things this is why no one will care about this ghost writer fiasco at the end of the day.

Nibel

Drake has always been a mediocre lyricist yet she's entertaining, and that's really the only appeal that matters to the majority. I've never taken her seriously when she says she's the best because I always took it as her talking about popularity and sales. The truth is the girl is not nice with pen but she can make songs I can bump my head to. As PD said sometimes that's okay. In the grand scheme of things this is why no one will care about this ghost writer fiasco at the end of the day.

corny

Koozek

Quentin Miller's response:

Pretty good response IMO. Son is doing more work for Drake than 40 was.

That's even more damning. 40 has been in the studio longer than anyone and sounded like he was copping pleas. Not about QM entirely, but in general...dude sounded shook. Whereas QM sounds humble and is just saying they collaborated.

Meek heard the Rico reference track, throw in 10 Bands and Drake buying Hold On We're Going Home...and you have a legit story. Where there's smoke there's fire. Nothing stops this L train.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's like y'all didn't even read it. Quentin's still giving Aubrey credit for the majority of the work. Sounds like they were bouncing lines and ideas which many rappers do.

Or this
Or Drake is upping his salary to keep anything else from leaking out

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's even more damning. 40 has been in the studio longer than anyone and sounded like he was copping pleas. Not about QM entirely, but in general...dude sounded shook. Whereas QM sounds humble and is just saying they collaborated.

Meek heard the Rico reference track, throw in 10 Bands and Drake buying Hold On We're Going Home...and you have a legit story. Where there's smoke there's fire. Nothing stops this L train.
Yeah 40 fucked up, dude was in pure damage control mode as opposed to framing it like QM did. 40 was using all this vague language and not addressing it directly while this dude who apparently worked in a bakery put out a proper press release. Also, don't forget Started From The Bottom (Ebro mentioned that too).

Sounds like as the NWTS era was revving up dude was quietly picking up all these different street MCs (I use this term loosely) and re-recording the vocals. Probably the reason for him switching up his tone/voice the way he does on a lot of those songs. It's a shame, really. Also probably explains why his label isn't taking off, because he's only signing the dudes who make songs that are too garbage for him to use for himself.

The only way Drake can make up for this is if he goes on Sway and does 5 Fingers of Death lol

This is pretty much where I stand. Too much smoke at this point. Everything from here on out is tainted with "But is that actually his though?" That whole "on his way to becoming an all time great rapper" thing (which was the popular opinion whether you agreed or not) is dead. Not saying I won't be able to enjoy his music, but Drake isn't a part of certain discussions anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom