• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lk6TXeH.png
lemme guess, its some commentary on the socioeconomic conditions that cause rifts between men in women.

fuccouttahere gumps
tbtb all over again. Listen to the last few bars brehs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's some stuff i really like. I knew when i was running through this that we were going to see lots of complaints of production from the kanye stan/soulja girlbase who can't listen to anything without an 808 in it / any music made before 2003, but I'd say it's got some really really high points. Some of this shit is soulful as hell or sets nice vibes that remind me of the best of Nujabes / TDE inhouse, other times it can be meh. Kendrick himself is all over the place on it too, sometimes i'm like damn this dude is one of the most poignant writer/rappers ever, others i'm like holy shit this guy needs to tone it down waaaay all the fuck down.
nah ima tackle this head on

I don't really get the atmosphere, emotion or the energy (and no, I don't use this in a turnupturnup sense) from the majority of these songs that I did for Section.80 or GKMC. The way it's sequenced just makes it worse in the 2nd half. I built an expectation for what the next song will sound like and it didn't surprise me or make me feel like "wow this production is exceptionally __________!" Smooth doesn't fit that either. Not really a jazz guy nor do I suck FlyLo types off so maybe this isn't my riff but I don't think the jazz influences do more than make me feel like Kendrick wanted to emulate a feel that he didn't.

This is all on a first listen of course, and it is nearing 2:30AM but right now the production is a massive issue for me. Drowning out Kendrick on half the songs, to no real good effect (if that's possible), not really complementing or contrasting the vocals except on certain songs like Wesley's Theory, Momma Said, and Mortal Men. Gonna give it a whirl on my headphones tomorrow mid-day and see if this changes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I is so much better. Thank goodness. I can actually really enjoy the song.

Edit: the second half of the album is making me change my mind a bit.

Edit2: and they completely fucked up i. Congratulations.

Most of the songs here just don't work. Some good tracks but they're a small part of the album, and even those have bits here and there that don't work.

Can't say this is a good album by any means, not even a mixed bag. I really don't like it.

Oh well, hope Bronson delivers.

injurai

Banned
I don't really get the atmosphere, emotion or the energy (and no, I don't use this in a turnupturnup sense) from the majority of these songs that I did for Section.80 or GKMC. The way it's sequenced just makes it worse in the 2nd half. I built an expectation for what the next song will sound like and it didn't surprise me or make me feel like "wow this production is exceptionally __________!" Smooth doesn't fit that either. Not really a jazz guy nor do I suck FlyLo types off so maybe this isn't my riff but I don't think the jazz influences do more than make me feel like Kendrick wanted to emulate a feel that he didn't.

Jazz is at an all time low with the public. True story (according to NPR the last bastion of jazz stan's)

May bite Kendrick in the ass a bit, it's certainly bitten FlyLo and a bunch of jazz-hop artists that have been relegated to a niche before the genre could even go mainstream.

mooooose

I think new Kendrick may isolate a lot of white hip hop listeners because it's so influenced by soul and jazz and so racially energized.

Esch

Banned
nah ima tackle this head on

I don't really get the atmosphere, emotion or the energy (and no, I don't use this in a turnupturnup sense) from the majority of these songs that I did for Section.80 or GKMC. The way it's sequenced just makes it worse in the 2nd half. I built an expectation for what the next song will sound like and it didn't surprise me or make me feel like "wow this production is exceptionally __________!" Smooth doesn't fit that either. Not really a jazz guy nor do I suck FlyLo types off so maybe this isn't my riff but I don't think the jazz influences do more than make me feel like Kendrick wanted to emulate a feel that he didn't..

Well breh, IME you don't care for anything understated done in any style of music. You like your shit extra and bombastic on the boards, and that's alright.

tbtb all over again. Listen to the last few bars brehs.
rapping on it is scat garbage.

Dunno if i can sit through that bs again tbh
9vU7w8t.png

Fjordson

What a weird album.

I respect him for going off and trying something different, but I can't imagine I'll throw this on much in the future. Kendrick's voice and delivery sounds weird as fuck to me on a good day, so when he's purposefully making his voice high and adding in vocal effects and shit like on this album it's a little too much. I really love some of the production and that live band type sound, I just can't get into Kendrick's delivery most of the time.

Overall I'm feeling mostly how I expected to. Interesting, but not really my thing. Couple tracks are cool though, like How Much a Dollar Cost and Mortal Man.

Come on Bronson. Give us that Friday drop. Do it.
Man I wish. That'd be great.

Trey

Some of these songs are easily some of the best work Kendrick has even done. This is a good album. Some misses, but easy to forgive (and in some cases, forget).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mortal Man, Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, and These Walls (kinda) are the standouts IMO.

The skits are the worst thing on the album, but those don't count for me. I'd have to say "u," Alright and maybe Momma are the lowest points. A lot of the rest is middling for me or I don't know yet.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Second half of the album is what the successor to GKMC a should've been. It retains that experimental vibe but still moves Kendrick farther as an artist. Most of the songs in the first have definitely make me feel like it's a side step, or a throwaway that wasn't thrown away, more than a showing of actual growth.

HiiiLife

I still dig KK.

I love that hook. And when the beat picks up.

Then the goat mouth part comes up and I hit my radio with the come on son face. Then it picks up again so I ain't mad.

Courage

The Good: Hood Politics, How Much A Dollar Cost, The Blacker The Berry, Mortal Man, the second half of u

The Meh: Everything else except:

The Bad: For Free, For Sale, These Walls, Momma

The Ugly: The first half of u

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I still dig KK.

I love that hook. And when the beat picks up.

Then the goat mouth part comes up and I hit my radio with the come on son face. Then it picks up again so I ain't mad.
Yeah, KK definitely has one of the better less "weird" hooks. It's one of the safer songs as far as format goes, but on this album that's an advantage IMO.

HiiiLife

So what do y'all think of Snoop?

You prolly already talked about it but....I'm too tipsy to backtrack through this thread lol.

Not gonna lie I was a little skeptical, but then I remembered when I first saw Gunplay featured on C&C I wasn't happy....before I even listened to C&C, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

I vibe with the track though.

Can't get worse than For Free.

I AM FUCKING BAFFLED "i" ISNT THE WORST SONG (to me) AND KENDRICK MANAGED TO DROP FOR FREE ON MY ASS.

I'm tight tbh.

Courage

So what do y'all think of Snoop?

You prolly already talked about it but....I'm too tipsy to backtrack through this thread lol.

Not gonna lie I was a little skeptical, but then I remembered when I first saw Gunplay featured on C&C I wasn't happy....before I even listened to C&C, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

I vibe with the track though.

Can't get worse than For Free.

I AM FUCKING BAFFLED "i" ISNT THE WORST SONG (to me) AND KENDRICK MANAGED TO DROP FOR FREE ON MY ASS.

I'm tight tbh.

Snoop is Snoop. Phoned it in as he's been doing for the past few years in terms of features.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This kendrick reminds a lot of overly dedicated on its reliance on G funk music ascetics ....

Which isn't ideal for me because out of OD, Section 80, and GKMC. I feel that OD is the weakest album he dropped prior to this one.

There are some good songs on here but Section 80 --> GKMC made me think he would go further with it this time since he grew so much between those two older albums. With that said I am pretty sure this album would bump like crazy when he performs it live. G funk is made for live performances and Kendrick is a pretty great live performer.

Jesus christ...I downloaded the album to get TBTB to add to my iTunes version...and the song is not only edited but features a troll cover of Kanye holding Kendrick in his arms saying "you should have bought my album instead" lmao

it's not a jpeg so I can't post it. I saw it on KTT earlier today lol

HiiiLife

Jesus christ...I downloaded the album to get TBTB to add to my iTunes version...and the song is not only edited but features a troll cover of Kanye holding Kendrick in his arms saying "you should have bought my album instead" lmao

it's not a jpeg so I can't post it. I saw it on KTT earlier today lol

Yeah that pic was floating around ktt. Shit got me on the floor.

u and You Ain't Gotta Lie's choruses really shows me potential of Kendrick's voice evolving over the years. He deepness on u really grabs me, and on You Ain't Gotta Lie he does a pretty good Badu impression - better than on Sing About Me. I wish someone would ask him if he envisioned Badu on Sing About Me, or tried to get her on it. It sounds so obvious.

PD I just inserted my purchased version of the blacker the berry and adjusted the info

Yea but the album version is different. It's aite tho, I just acquired the correct version.

Detox

Haven't listened but I'm guessing the song on the beats commercial isn't on the album?

I just realised the only reason why no dre tracks make the album is they're all fire and Dre saves em in the vault. 😖

IrishNinja

not even gonna try to catch up on the last 5 pages...how many fire emojis are we talkin on this new kdot fam

Dame just needs that one ridiculous interview that puts him over the top. Like that Hell Rell classic

I believe in him. I'm sure he can do it.

ill take any excuse to watch this classic again

PD as a Kendrick stan is worth 1000 kanye stans.

alternate timeline where kingpin is daredevil

#levels

Suge will always have power and respect in the streets of LA. He's got doctors, lawyers and anyone he wants on his payroll. Even when he declared bankruptcy a few years back it was just to avoid paying specific people back. He'll always be stacked with cash.

speaking of, this kingpin fanfic shit is outta hand, daredevil hype too skrong

EloquentM

aka Mannny
🔥💦🔥💦🔥💦🔥💦💦🔥🔥🔥🔥💦💦(5x🔥)

Eos

On instutionalized right now but I'm loving what I've heard so far (probably won't come back to for free tho)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ok I listened to it twice now and I don't understand how everybody saying this album is as good or better than gkmc

as is It's not, but if you cut out a few songs it's highs get very close if not higher than GKMC in my opinion. as a full project (kendricks vision) however it's flawed and definitely not as good as GKMC in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom