• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo

u

sHoNR61.gif

Alright is dope though. Kendrick flowing on there.

The delivery on Hood Politics noooooo

It sounded so much better on the Big Boy freestyle he did a few days ago.

Ugh, why do rappers not bring the energy on studio versions of their tracks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm only up to Alright so far, but right now? This is fucking garbage. Interludes and skits do not make a good album. Sonically, it's a mess of wannabe funk and jazz infusion with none of the soul you'd expect out of those things. Goddamn, the second half of this better not fucking suck because this is some depressing ass shit to wake up to on a Monday. If this wasn't Kendrick, this shit would already be CClean'd out of the recycling bin and I'd be seriously considering rolling back my PC to the last save point so that it'd be like the taint of this sonic diarrhea never existed.

IrishNinja

up to institutionalized so far...this funk/jazz vibe + 40 acres and a mule type shit is something you'd expect more from the Roots when they had that energy circa early aughts or so, but as much as i love Thought i'm digging this so far more than i think i would that.

assuming it stays on this tip, i mean it's a distinct sound/concept so it's not gonna be something you casually revisit like 80 or dive into like GKMC, but i fucks with it so far

*edit haha following WW with that juxtaposition tho

Because 9 times out of 10, live performances are better.

This isn't true for me in most cases. I actually think most rappers are awful live performers. The ones that can bring the energy and enunciate all the lyrics with a well mixed sound setup though.....yeah, they can usually top than the album version.

I love the delivery. It's almost sarcastic.

I just think the lines sounded way better with a more aggressive style. I would've liked it more had I not heard the "freestyle."

How Much A Dollar Cost is sooooooo good. That ATCQ/90s jazz-rap bassline + Dr. Dre drums + that instrumentation loop = drool.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm only up to Alright so far, but right now? This is fucking garbage. Interludes and skits do not make a good album. Sonically, it's a mess of wannabe funk and jazz infusion with none of the soul you'd expect out of those things. Goddamn, the second half of this better not fucking suck because this is some depressing ass shit to wake up to on a Monday. If this wasn't Kendrick, this shit would already be CClean'd out of the recycling bin and I'd be seriously considering rolling back my PC to the last save point so that it'd be like the taint of this sonic diarrhea never existed.
second half redeems it but it's not gonna change the your mind completely on what you want out of the album.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Opinions?

Blacker the Berry is the best song on this album by far.

I am mad he didn't rap over the intro to Hood Politics, its like how he didn't rap over the intro to the Art of Peer Pressure Beat. My second favorite track is You Aint got to Lie. How Much a Dollar Cost is great, and Complexion is great 2. These Walls is pretty good too. Mortal Man is the audio version of the Tupac Hologram....

IrishNinja

This isn't true for me in most cases. I actually think most rappers are awful live performers. The ones that can bring the energy and enunciate all the lyrics with a well mixed sound setup though.....yeah, they can usually top than the album version.

yeah, i wanted to say something similar...i suspect my man CRS has seen some good shows or mainly listens to Roots/etc type of shit that excels live? cause man ive been to shows in the day where even jigga had nearly zero energy, talib sounded like he was forcing a fake voice the whole set, monch seemed like he was forgetting too many lines, etc etc

How Much A Dollar Cost is sooooooo good. That ATCQ/90s jazz-rap bassline + Dr. Dre drums + that instrumentation loop = drool.

shit...i wanna go to bed & pick up here tomorrow but this sounds too good

I'm stuck on How Much A Dollar Cost. First "can't stop replaying" track of the album. Amazing beat. There's no way Dre didn't get his hands on this.

RPS37

On my first time through, up to Momma, only Wesley and KK have stood out to me.
But I'm sure after a couple more listens I'll like one or two others.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How much a dollar cost is probably the best song on the album. Alright is my favorite (I just really like the energy). Mortal man is just a song from another dimension. I works so well and then the abrupt stop kills all the momentum it has. Opening track is great albeit it having a weird mixing issue with the vocals. King kunta and TBTB are still solid. Hood politics is a loss for that hook alone but other wise I love it. Momma is straight to me and complextion is good. You ain't gotta lie and these walls whoooooo it like them cause they're just to smooth to me nice. Yeah fuck a written out review. I like the album overall though. I just think it suffers from being too into its own vibe. Overlooked and overcooked at some points which bring it down. The highs match GKMC highs though. The shit that works works too well. The stuff that isn't is straight shit though. Very divisive album imo. I give it 11/16 maybe a 12

dreamfall

I love it. It's insanely all over the place, but sonically I just loved really listening to the unexpected. There's so much jazz, so much soul, so much depression. It doesn't fit anywhere within the realms of what's going on with these other rapper's releases, but I was completely entranced.

Agree with Net_Wrecker about the delivery on Hood Politics. While I do like the song, I really wanted the pitch to be more normalized so it could get the vibe from the freestyle. The way it flows with the higher pitch makes the punches not hit as hard.

I'm stuck on How Much A Dollar Cost. First "can't stop replaying" track of the album. Amazing beat. There's no way Dre didn't get his hands on this.
Yea. That's the track Sounwave tweeted about a couple weeks ago ("Dre back"). I'm guessing he redid the drums, they sound like his.

Some of these tracks will work live but others...dunno. A lot of the mellow tracks like These Walls will fit perfectly alongside Poetic Justice and the Section80 tracks in a live set. I would imagine that Kendrick won't be performing u, for instance. Or Mortal Man, Institutionalized, probably not Complexion much.

He's doing a bunch of festivals this year, and I'd assume he'll have a band for this stuff. I'm guessing the main crowd pleaser will remain Maad City.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I will say this, if I was listening to this shit live, with a full band backing with the flow and ebb of unsanitzed jazz stylings, I'd probably be feeling this. But at that point, Kendrick would be ancillary to the equation. I can't help but think what's he brought to the music. For a rapper's rapper who is all about competition and pushing the artform forward, you shouldn't thinking that the music would sound better without you on your own song. During lunch I'm going to dive into the second half with my thumper headphones.

I like the vibe on Complextion. The guitars + bass just really work for me.

The Blacker The Berry is still as good as it was when they released it. Definitely a standout.

They managed to make "i" more listenable and more interesting. The live atmosphere was a smart move. The a capella is a bit much, but it kinda works.

Wow @ Mortal Man. Flowing like (good) Eminem around 3:40 + a great beat. The outro will kill replayablity (without simply restarting at least) and I think the backing music could've aided with that if it was a bit more interesting, but it hits hard at the end.

I don't know man, I feel like the 2nd half of this pulls the album back to its feet and nudges it forward until it reaches a full sprint on some of these tracks. The hype is making people overreact a little. I understand that not everyone will like it, but there's enough good here to make up for those low spots, which mostly occur in the first 8 tracks (of which only 3 I think are outright bad)

Top tracks right now:

1. How Much a Dollar Cost
2. The Blacker The Berry
3. Mortal Man
4. Alright
5. Complexion or These Walls

JohnDoe

Banned
Removing u, i and for free would have made this shit so much better.
How Much A Dollar Cost, TBTB and Mortal Man are definitely fire though 🔥🔥🔥

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I like the vibe on Complextion. The guitars + bass just really work for me.

The Blacker The Berry is still as good as it was when they released it. Definitely a standout.

They managed to make "i" more listenable and more interesting. The live atmosphere was a smart move. The a capella is a bit much, but it kinda works.

Wow @ Mortal Man. Flowing like (good) Eminem around 3:40 + a great beat. The outro will kill replay value and I think the backing music could've aided with that if it was a bit more interesting, but it hits hard at the end.

I don't know man, I feel like the 2nd half of this pulls the album back to its feet and nudges it forward until it reaches a full sprint on some of these tracks. The hype is making people overreact a little. I understand that not everyone will like it, but there's enough good here to make up for those low spots, which mostly occur in the first 8 tracks (of which only 3 I think are outright bad)

Top tracks right now:

1. How Much a Dollar Cost
2. The Blacker The Berry
3. Mortal Man
4. Alright
5. Complexion or These Walls

Removing u, i and for free would have made this shit so much better.
How Much A Dollar Cost, TBTB and Mortal Man are definitely fire though 🔥🔥🔥
Exactly my thoughts

Nibel

At Hood Politics now, and I must say that this album is among the most ambitious ones I've heard in a long time; you can just hear how much money, time and energy went into this - it tries to reach the regular rap audience with a sound that is pretty distanced from rap at this point.

Some tracks are fire, some tracks need more spins - will try to write something longer when I have the time and am sure to have given the album its due. It's an interesting album for sure.

Done with my first listen of TPAB and I don't know what to think.

There's some great tracks on it, especially on the second half, but there's also unmitigated garbage on it. It's just all over the place. How can you go from Mortal Man, TBTB, How Much A Dollar Cost etc. to For Free? There's about 30% too much fat and would have worked infinitely better if he cut some of that. I guess it's my fault for expecting something as focused as GKMC.

I think it has some of Kendrick's best and most ambitious work on it but it too often falls flat on its face and overall it feels weaker than either Section.80 and especially GKMC.

Ok, after a few more listens: "u" would work way more for me if Kendrick cut the theatrics in the 2nd half. That kind of delivery rarely works for me on a record. Very grating and undercuts what could be a great track. i suspect that's actually what makes the track "pop" for those that like it.

Love the production on the first part though. It has an almost extraterrestrial jazz sound to it, like a band was doing a session and someone just threw on a sample of those old sci-fi movie soundtracks with the high pitched alien keyboard music. Hard to explain but you'll hear it if you can decipher whatever the hell I'm saying. Wish the whole thing sounded like that. Can't believe the hate for that section.

EDIT: I underrated Wesley's Theory. Should be in my track ranking up there. Funky as hell. Love the synths/keys

Hip Hop

I really can't think why they decided to put a track like "Alright" on the album. Pharrel/Ross already renegaded that track, and they went and straight sampled it? makes no sense to me, and it isn't even decent. It's like a straight waste that could have been used by another track.

JohnDoe

Banned
The guitars on Complexion are reminding me a lot of D'Angelo's "Lady". Loving it.
Still a disappointing album overall 🌚

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow, what news to wake up to.

Album drops, and disappointment all around.

I'll give it a few spins on Spotify, see if I want to buy it.

Very cool stuff, but as Courage said, some progress would be dope - other than that, I must say I enjoy your stuff and think it's cool that you keep working.

Thanks for the feedback Nibel.

Been at it for 11 years, music is something I can't just stop doing now. It's sorta part of who I am. lol

Last comment on this for now

How Much a Dollar Cost is probably my favorite mixtape/album Kendrick Lamar track (since Cartoon & Cereal was left off GKMC). Every element of this song works for me. Kendrick's voice and verses, the bass, the brass (especially the way everything just trails off slowly), the piano, the Cocaine 80s hook, Dre's drums and tambourine, all the small additional effects..... A+ track gotdamn. Perfect combination of airy noir jazz and Chronic 2001 sounds.

Who the fuck listens to clean leaks Nevermind stupid ass snippets. Some of y'all are taking L's left and right

I'll listen to this later after work maybe. The negative impression kinda putting me off.

Kreed

While I like that Kendrick is pushing himself and experimenting, this definitely isn't on the level of GKMC and I'm disappointed there's no overall narrative this time. I'm going to give it a few more listens today though and let the whole thing sink in.

JohnDoe

Banned
Last thoughts before I gotta go to work: TPAB is growing on me after several listens but man... a big chunk of tracks/moments on it hold it back from being the great album that it could have been. Damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom