• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

While I like that Kendrick is pushing himself and experimenting, this definitely isn't on the level of GKMC and I'm disappointed there's no overall narrative this time. I'm going to give it a few more listens today though and let the whole thing sink in.
No narrative but there is a concept. Going for another narrative wouldn't have worked tbh, it would be too similar in his approach to his debut major.

Cohesiveness is still there.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I really wish I could hear Kendricks album but for various reasons I can't right now.

Anyways GAFHOP I have a few questions that I'd prefer happened via PM.

Stay blessed

CoolOff

THE ENDING OF MOMMA LMAO

71yRTNw.gif

oh god the accuracy.

Up to Momma so far, love KK and These Walls, rest are meh. Not sure about the love for Alright.

CoolOff

Hood Politics brought this to mind:

Congressman_Monroe_James.jpg

You got to take it from the jukebox to the ballot box!

We got to move from the stovetops to the mountain tops!

You got to go from the poorhouse to the White House!

Edit: Shiiiii How Much A Dollar Cost.

CoolOff

Complexion is the best so far, so smooth. Feels like the first track that really settles in the sound. Rapsody with the best verse on the album.

Kreed

No narrative but there is a concept. Going for another narrative wouldn't have worked tbh, it would be too similar in his approach to his debut major.

Cohesiveness is still there.

There's always room in hip hop for more story telling IMO, but I understand the possible criticism he might have gotten for doing it again.

CoolOff

The second half of this album is really really good. Like 9/10-good.

I works so well on the album. In part because it's a far better version, but also because it feels legitimately cathartic.

The next day, album's better than I initially thought. It still has plenty of misses to the point where I don't think it's a classic. Some of the songs go and will be fun to hear live.

Floridian

TPAB sounds a bit better on a 2nd playthrough in the morning. I grown to appreciate institutionalized & Wesley's Theory a bit more.

Koozek

Jesus, some of you guys. What, did you want GKMC 2? S.80 2? What if OutKast hadn't done ATLiens? Electric Circus is great, too.

Definitely one of those records that needs several listens to grow on you. Loving the Soulquarians-esque sound.
Someone in Kendrick's position daring to experiment is always commendable. He could have easily made more of the same. But then again, no matter what he had done he would have never met the expectations after GKMC, anyway. Classic Illmatic situation.
I can see a lot of his casual fans be driven away, haha.

I want to check KTT, right now, but I fear for my sanity.

Nibel

Jesus, some of you guys. What, did you want GKMC 2? S.80 2? What if OutKast hadn't done ATLiens? Electric Circus is great, too.

Definitely one of those records that needs several listens to grow on you. Loving the Soulquarians-esque sound.
Someone in Kendrick's position daring to experiment is always commendable. He could have easily made more of the same. But then again, no matter what he had done he would have never met the expectations after GKMC, anyway. Classic Illmatic situation.
I can see a lot of his casual fans be driven away, haha.

I want to check KTT, right now, but I fear for my sanity.

Preach my brother

Funny enough, KTT was way more positive than GAF-Hop (when I checked it this morning), and the OT thread digs it way more as well

illadelph

Screw the haters, Electric Circus is great. Like, I'm glad that all of Common's albums don't sound like it, but it was awesome as a one-off.

Courage

My second listen is a little more positive, I can appreciate the instrumentation more but still think it's generic when compared to other jazz fusion artists out right now. I prefer this type of music solely as instrumentals, or with a free-flow style like D'Angelo.

Once again, I feel a lot of the ideas are hampered by his insistence of trying to spruce it up vocally, when it doesn't come across as anything but corny. You can't sit here and tell me his "LOVE IS COMPLICAAATEEEED" intonations convey any type of emotion effectively. It just sounds ridiculous. However, I do feel it fits in Hood Politics. He takes on a more sarcastic and somber tone. Other than that, mostly misses.

Who knows, maybe it's just a different side of Kendrick I'm not used to. This can totally grow on me if I can get over the idiosyncrasies. I don't see it ever growing into anything great for me, and as of now it's around a 6/10ish. Disappointing but expected.

Sonically, this album reminds me of Hi Tek and Kweli's Reflektion Eternal with some west coast g funk thrown in, thematically, it reminds me of the social awareness, self examination and emotional ups and downs of Me Against the World, though less well executed.

Esch

Banned
Screw the haters, Electric Circus is great. Like, I'm glad that all of Common's albums don't sound like it, but it was awesome as a one-off.
i just don't think Electric Circus is "great" per se, a hit miss affair like To Pimp a Butterfly is. I don't think either album is bad.

Every artist should have a couple albums like this where they try out some shit and some of it is real interesting and some of it is poo

Nabs

I fucks with Electric Circus, but I can't stand that the final 2 songs combine for like 20 minutes of play time. I just can't deal with long songs.

On EC, Common was spitting. Experimenting with his flow like he used to. The music had a warmth to it. I dunno. Give me EC over the safe/boring stuff like Be and FF.

Koozek

If I'm quite honest, though, I was talking more about the beats (in general Be is my most favorite Com album). I remember a fun interview with Dilla where he talked about how Common practically forced him to make the beats even crazier for Electric Circus and so he jokingly sped up one of his beats and Common actually liked it, haha. Think it was somewhere in this interview, not sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKGm3wc3qOE
This is the most interesting Dilla interview, btw. Obligatory watch!

EDIT: Here's the part about Electric Circus:
https://youtu.be/UqFhmYDDrMU?t=2m

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TPAB is so funky. Def the type of album to appreciate with time imo. Somehow I lost my entire phone case last night.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Holy fuck Hood Politics 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

Hit repeat track so fast 🔥🔥🔥

studyguy

Morning GAFhop, you feeling that #positivity2015?
Gonna be playing this shit all through the workday. Skipping For Free each time tho, what a shit interlude.

Ohnonono

I have TPAB pre-ordered on itunes and it most certainly did not download. Was this a leak leak or did it actually get pushed early? If so how the hell do you tell itunes to just download the damn thing!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I have TPAB pre-ordered on itunes and it most certainly did not download. Was this a leak leak or did it actually get pushed early? If so how the hell do you tell itunes to just download the damn thing!

It got taken back off of iTunes.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6502232/update-kendrick-lamars-to-pimp-a-butterfly-gets-accidental

Which I think is a terrible, terrible idea. They should've just let it stay up. People are going to pirate this shit out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom