• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.
rae-fila.jpg
Nothing says luxurious art like a $50 photoshop from Ahmed's Artz And Graphicz. You can tell they only accept cash.

studyguy

Kendrick Lamar on His New Album and the Weight of Clarity

For many fans, “I’m the closest thing to a preacher that they have,” Mr. Lamar, 27, said from the couch of a Santa Monica studio where he recorded much of the new album. “I know that from being on tour — kids are living by my music.” However, he added: “My word will never be as strong as God’s word. All I am is just a vessel, doing his work.”

Kendrick out here giving his words of encouragement to those blackcule and brown kids.

HiResDes

It has a this warm intimacy about it that's quite lovely, though I believe the beginning of the album is quite rough and less charming.

I hate discussing scores but I'm going to assume Pitchfork will give it a high score. Especially in light of them creaming over D'Angelo's album. I'd expect anywhere between an 8.5 and 9.2.

Overall I think the album will get very good reviews. It's a journey through every aspect of black music, sonically. And I think the overarching story/"skit" will be heavily praised.

I hate discussing scores but I'm going to assume Pitchfork will give it a high score.

yea i literally just thought out loud because of pitchfork
not too interested in scores either

album is great though should've listened to it with headphones the first time lol
only questionable song so far is For Free
and the lack of features was actually a very smart move
not to say the included ones didn't add to the album though
just hearing someone else from TDE on the vast majority of these beats would've been weird

FZZ

Banned
Album will be well received critically. Critics love experimental shit that is for the most part good. What I'm more curious about is how the album is going to be seen in the grand scheme of the whole entire year. This year is already gonna be a blood bath, but will TPAB be the top album?

Still waiting on SHMG which I expect to be more well received (critically) than this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I hate discussing scores but I'm going to assume Pitchfork will give it a high score. Especially in light of them creaming over D'Angelo's album. I'd expect anywhere between an 8.5 and 9.2.

Overall I think the album will get very good reviews. It's a journey through every aspect of black music, sonically. And I think the overarching story/"skit" will be heavily praised.
Yea, I definitely agree. In fact relistening to the album a few more times I can see this album getting praised by quite a few audiences. Kendrick fans will obviously eat it up and critics will love the themes and attempts at experimentation. I think it'll only bomb in terms of the mainstream audience. It's a very solid album when all is said and done. a much better experimental execution than the recent yeezus however i feel as if I'd get tired of this record upon subsequent listens. I think Section.80 is still probably his most replayable album

HiResDes

It's definitely more miss than the one song, but the concept and overall cohesive warmth of the tracks really helps alleviate some of its misses for me. It works well as a whole and I applaud Kendrick for applying a somewhat antiquated methodology to the album because it's a risky move to make after the success of the somewhat modern sounding GKMC. I love the allegory that seems to permeate through the album treating the way black people have been burned by America as if it were a tumultuous domestic relationship with a mad woman.

blacker the berry still slaps

There's a story?

pay attention to all the short poems at the end of the songs
also momma

Album will be well received critically. Critics love experimental shit that is for the most part good. What I'm more curious about is how the album is going to be seen in the grand scheme of the whole entire year. This year is already gonna be a blood bath, but will TPAB be the top album?

Still waiting on SHMG which I expect to be more well received (critically) than this.

i actually think this has a higher chance of being well-reviewed than kanye
(not that they both can't be)
this album is surprising not because of how it sounds in general, but because of how it sounds in today's mainstream rap climate
drake could never release an album that sounds like this

and experimental-wise, i don't think anything kanye will drop will surprise anyone
again, i'm hyped for that album as well, and i actually enjoyed yeezus, but i think no matter what he does, even if it is highly experimental, won't have the same "shock" (using that loosely) factor as TPAB. (to the average mainstream rap listener, aka not really us)

Kendrick will lose more fans than he'll gain.

unfortunately agree

Nibel

When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?
When shit hit the fan (one two, one two)

mooooose

I think the negative impressions to TPAB were reactionary. In due time, people will have much kinder things to say. However, I don't know how accessible it will be for everyone.

My only complaint is length, though I don't know what I would eliminate.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yea, I'm not sold "Kendrick fans" will eat this up.

Let me rephrase that: I think kendrick fans that fell for him during the release of section.80 will love this more than the fans he gained from GKMC. This album feels like a progression of S.80 more so than GKMC. compared to the last album this feels like a sidestep to me and I could see myself liking it more than his major label debut.

JohnDoe

Banned
I think the negative impressions to TPAB were reactionary. In due time, people will have much kinder things to say. However, I don't know how accessible it will be for everyone.

My only complaint is length, though I don't know what I would eliminate.

i, u and for free definitely.
Maybe alright too. Didn't do it for me, but lots of people are feeling it so idk.

Let me rephrase that: I think kendrick fans that fell for him during the release of section.80 will love this more than the fans he gained from GKMC. This album feels like a progression of S.80 more so than GKMC.

totally agree

What constitutes a "Kendrick fan"? Its being thrown around like there's a qualification.

anyone haha but i think the "average kendrick fan" knows him from GKMC onwards so this album may seem too drastic a departure for some

also i is actually listenable on this album nice lol

DominoKid

Yea, I'm not sold "Kendrick fans" will eat this up.

his white girl fanbase (what little he had) is about to plummet. played some of it for folks on my lunch break and this one white chick was like "this is too black...er bleak. same thing i guess."

yes tell me more of your opinions girl
EpE5m1q.png

the olds will love it because it "transcends" rap. pops bought it off itunes as soon as he saw George Clinton was on it

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What constitutes a "Kendrick fan"? Its being thrown around like there's a qualification.

I mean what constitutes a fan of anything? its an arbitrary identifier no matter how you view it. with that being said i'd say a fan is someone who appreciates, partakes, and enjoys past and current work from an entity while anticipating future work.

Kwixotik

I've only given it one full listen, but I really like TPAB so far. It's definitely got a couple places where the experimenting might have gone wrong, but for the most part I feel it

FZZ

Banned
TPAB is growing on me.
mG97bFI.png

I think this has to do with just listening to something over and over again and understanding what the artist was going for. As soon as you get in the mindset of the artist you appreciate their work a lot more, and you notice little things that you didn't before and the song is just better.

I still stand by the fact that How Much A Dollar Cost is one of the only songs on the album that in any given context, at any given time that you can truly immerse yourself in.

BlackJace

I mean what constitutes a fan of anything? its an arbitrary identifier no matter how you view it. with that being said i'd say a fan is someone who appreciates, partakes, and enjoys past and current work from an entity while anticipating future work.

I dunno I've just always seen the phrase come up in discussions about who will and will not like his stuff.

It doesn't translate to stans either, it seems to mean something else. Is like, Kendrick fans that were on board with S80, or his more recent GKMC base?

overcast

Gonna post a few tweets. Keeping you guys updated on some things said.

Kanye:
@kanyewest: Finally back in the studio… starting my day by listening to Kendrick’s new album!!! Thank you for the music and messaging!!!

Punch earlier:
@iamstillpunch: Yeezy fans going in on me. I love Kanye guys I promise. I was only kidding. Lol

Another one from FlyLo last night:
@flyinglotus: He gets no credit for being a producer but he had a vision for this album. Dude gets involved w the whole process.

quoting TKAM
this guy
the last line of the album is creepy too
in a good way if that makes sense
yea this album is good
also the interview reminds me of the Mickey Factz - Mickey MauSe mixtape, specifically the Memoirs of Entry songs
...not that anyone besides me listened to that tape lol

Dude would totally jam to the Jazz-like production on the album, and wait til he gets to....for free

shit lol

CoolOff

So, is there something to the Billie Jean-line that I'm not getting? I didn't catch it on my first listen but it doesn't sit right with me.

overcast

So, is there something to the Billie Jean-line that I'm not getting? I didn't catch it on my first listen but it doesn't sit right with me.
Well, later on he talks about MJ "when shit hits the fan are you still a fan".

I'm sure there is a reason though.

I think it's pretty clear cut, exactly how you heard it. Song is about fallen heroes. Whether or not he believes MJ did that shit isn't made clear in the track but he is asking if fans gave him the benefit of the doubt or did they throw him under the bus

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Just him talking about mike's legacy and his "flaws"...if kendrick went through similar shit would his fans stick with him.

overcast

He says "Annie are you okay" earlier. Although that's smooth criminal. Think that's what Cool is referring to.

Edit: or just the reference later?

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so going by Kanye's tweets it's probably safe to assume the album version of All Day is gonna be different/more energetic

dat Kendrick influence

CoolOff

Okay, in the "are you still a fan?"-context I guess it works. Cheers guys.

I did not know Michael was acquitted, so that's why it stood out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom