• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW2 GAFGuild | Community Thread

nataku

Alright so narrowed it down to these names for the guild. My favorite is in bold.

Gentlemen Ask First
Guilds Always Fail
Gaming Age Front
New Elite Order

All will have the tag of (GAF). I'll go ahead and announce the one we're going with on the next podcast. Throw out your opinions before then though so I can see what most of you guys like.

I really like Guilds Always Fail. It a perfect fit for GAF guilds, lol.

Retro

Both "Gentlemen ask first" and "Guilds always fail" strike me as too silly. First, they have a very short shelf-life; after a few months the novelty will wear off. Second, other players can see the name and something too silly may give us a less-than-positive reputation. For example, if you saw a guild running around named "Cornholers", you'd probably picture a pack of teenage jackanapes who troll general chat with Chuck Norris jokes.

I would prefer we have something slightly more serious, if at all possible. We'll also have Non-GAFers in the guild, so it has to be something they aren't ashamed to play under.

I also kinda liked the NEO rather than GAF since our tag will be "GAF".

New E____ Order is my favorite, though I don't like "Elite" particularly.

New Eternal Order
New Ebon Order (Ebon meaning "Black")
New Eldritch Order ("unearthly, supernatural, eerie")
New Eristic Order (Eristic "refers to a type of argument where the participants fight and quarrel without any reasonable goal." Sounds like GAF to me.)
New Elonian Order (References Elona, another continent in the GW world and probably a future expansion)

I dunno. Guilds Always Fail strikes me as too much of an in-joke and Gentlemen Ask First is just too silly for my tastes.

Ferny

I dunno. Guilds Always Fail strikes me as too much of an in-joke and Gentlemen Ask First is just too silly for my tastes.

It is a GAF guild though. Just because we will have non-gaffers in doesn't mean we have to cater to them. They will want to join because of the people in the guild not because of a name. It being "in-joke" is exactly why it fits so perfectly with the guild. I honestly see it as us having a funny little joke name or going with the NeoGAF name and calling it at that. It doesn't have to be the ones I listed either but it being some that GAF will know easily and be kind of a funny joke seems fine to me. At the end of the day the name is just the name, it won't dictate the community.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think "Guilds Always Fail" is okay from a joke point of view, but horrible as an actual name.

This is supposed to be a guild name, not a statement that makes absolutely no sense in the outside world. Yeah I get it, "inside joke" yadda yadda, I just personally don't care for it.

I support the name Gaming Age Front, or just plain ol' NeoGAF.

Ferny

I think "Guilds Always Fail" is okay from a joke point of view, but horrible as an actual name.

This is supposed to be a guild name, not a statement that makes absolutely no sense in the outside world. Yeah I get it, "inside joke" yadda yadda, I just personally don't care for it.

That is actually one of more serious names that I liked as well. Gaming Age Front fits well.

Retro

At the end of the day the name is just the name, it won't dictate the community.

But it doesn't dictate how the community is viewed, and that's the point I'm making. I can't tell you how many times I've queued up for a dungeon or raid or something in other MMOs and seen somebody with a silly guild name and thought "Great, this is going to suck".

The scary thing is that it's actually a surprisingly good indicator.

At this point, I'd be fine if we came up with something cool-sounding with maybe a little cheek without it actually having a NEO or GAF abbreviation. After all, the tag will still be "GAF" whatever we do.

I do like "Gaming Age Front" though, "Gaming Age Force" also works.

Ferny

I actually don't agree with that at all. Goon Squad has one of the worst reps in all MMOs and I can't tell you how many times i've grouped up with them and had the best experience. A funny name is just going to be a funny name. If we cause problems and all, then we will receive the bad rep of course. I'm not defending any of the names I picked or saying it's that or nothing else, but I do want it to represent GAF in some way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But it doesn't dictate how the community is viewed, and that's the point I'm making. I can't tell you how many times I've queued up for a dungeon or raid or something in other MMOs and seen somebody with a silly guild name and thought "Great, this is going to suck".

At this point, I'd be fine if we came up with something cool-sounding with maybe a little cheek without it actually having a NEO or GAF abbreviation. After all, the tag will still be "GAF" whatever we do.
I do like "Gaming Age Front" though, "Gaming Age Force" also works.
I wouldn't mind if we ditch the G.A.F. acronym altogether, and just make a cool sounding name that references the boards in a way.
The tag will still be [GAF], so people will recognize either way. Make it a "proper" NeoGAF inside joke maybe, but one that also sounds cool as a guildname.

Take for example the GiantBomb SWTOR guild. It's called "Kessler Run", which is a reference to the infamous GB intern Matt Kessler.
It also apparently infuriates the Star Wars nerds, which is an added bonus.

Edit: I just realised I wrote exactly what you just posted, but yeah, i'm down with that idea! :)

Retro

Make it a "proper" NeoGAF inside joke maybe, but one that also sounds cool as a guildname.

Not a lot of GAF in-jokes that work well as guild names... "Dyack's Demise?".
JUWnj.gif

Ryan_

Does anyone know when the first beta weekend will arrive?

EDIT: And what do I have to do to join this worthy cause? ;-)

Ferny

Does anyone know when the first beta weekend will arrive?

EDIT: And what do I have to do to join this worthy cause? ;-)

Its going to be either the weekend of the 20th or the last weekend of the month.

I'll take you asking about it as being interested so I put you down.

nataku

All registered and ready to go. Too bad I still have no idea what profession I'll play. I really hope they keep the level boost to 30 in for the BWE so I can test everything out. It's going to be hard getting a good feel for each profession when I've got to go through a bunch of levels where I hardly have anything available.

On the topic of guild names, just some random stuff I was thinking of. If we use the "A" for "And" it seems a bit easier to fit a G and F into it without having to come up with three words that make sense together. Gladiators, Guilds, Glory, Gold(en), Gods, Gore, Fire, Fury, Fate, Fear, Fame, Flame, Force. Various guild sounding words fit in there in certain combinations. I'm sure there's more I'm not even thinking of.

Teknoman

Count me in. Probably going to end up a Greatsword Guardian or Rifle Engineer.

I support "Dyack's Demise" since it actually sounds kinda cool. But of course anything that sounds nice works for me.

#addme

Retro

The reason we're trying to iron out a name and such now is so when the Beta weekends do start we can get up and running as quickly as possible.

Ferny

We actually got the name all set but I'll be updating the OP with it later tonight as well as I'm going to try and get the updated member list updated as well.

Forkball

I'm waiting for it to hit Steam before I purchase it, but I'm in. I already plan to play with some GAFfers anyways. Guild members should wear orange, grey, and white. Any other colors will be considered traitorous.

Retro

I'm waiting for it to hit Steam before I purchase it, but I'm in. I already plan to play with some GAFfers anyways. Guild members should wear orange, grey, and white. Any other colors will be considered traitorous.

Not to burst your bubble, but ArenaNet has pretty much ruled out GW2 on Steam. Because Valve requires a cut of microtransaction sales and GW2's entire business plan is based on them, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Nevermind, see below. I is a stewpid.

Well shit. I guess I'm clearly in the wrong then, I didn't see that (and it's from last month). Sorry about the confusion then, Forkball, I'll edit my post.

I did not mean any offense! I'm sure Anet wants to secure as many prepurchases now before Steam is set up since most people want it on steam.

Impulse buyers like myself going with CE already know a good chunk of profit goes to Anet, and the eventual trip to Steam will come forth.

Ferny

Yeah I can easily see a situation where they work a deal with Valve and this game. If GW is up there, I don't see any reason why GW2 won't be at some point.

Ferny

Ok so everyone that has expressed interest in the guild above has been added to the member list. I'm also starting to add the user id's as well so if you want to post your own then feel free. It's the one they give you that's like username.xxxx. We also have 62 people in the guild and we don't even have a date yet which is awesome.

Ok so everyone that has expressed interest in the guild above has been added to the member list. I'm also starting to add the user id's as well so if you want to post your own then feel free. It's the one they give you that's like username.xxxx. We also have 62 people in the guild and we don't even have a date yet which is awesome.

Nice, I assume US GAF and EuroGAF are going to be separate guilds or one?

Ferny

I haven't seen any talk of someone forming up a Euro specific guild. If people from those regions are able to and want to join the US one, they are more than welcome though.

NeededSleep

Wonder how many guilds you can be on considering you can hop to different servers with your characters.

If so maybe we can all be under one roof. ?

Retro

Nice, I assume US GAF and EuroGAF are going to be separate guilds or one?

There's no regional restrictions in-game; European players can play with NA players can play with Asian players. I'm not sure if there will be 'recommended servers' or not, but as far as we've seen, you can play with anyone from anywhere at any time.

EuroGAF is more than welcome, the more the merrier.

Teknoman

Teknoman.3608

alazz

I saw mention of being able to be in multiple guilds in GW2?
A nice casual guild sounds perfect. I was in a couple great guilds/alliances but I got too casual and they didn't like that.

#addme
alazz.3127

Retro

I saw mention of being able to be in multiple guilds in GW2?
A nice casual guild sounds perfect. I was in a couple great guilds/alliances but I got too casual and they didn't like that.

Yep, the GAF Guild is more of a place to hang out and do stuff with a familiar community. There's no end-game raiding slots or anything that people will fight over, so we avoid a lot of the drama that way. The plan so far is to just have fun, yuck it up in guild chat and try to do events as a group... like terrorize some WvW and get the GAF Banner flying over some valuable real estate.

_machine

Yep, the GAF Guild is more of a place to hang out and do stuff with a familiar community. There's no end-game raiding slots or anything that people will fight over, so we avoid a lot of the drama that way. The plan so far is to just have fun, yuck it up in guild chat and try to do events as a group... like terrorize some WvW and get the GAF Banner flying over some valuable real estate.
Totally forgot about having multiple guilds, so add me too:

#machinaea.8613
add #EU

Top Bottom