• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GW2 GAFGuild | Community Thread

Herla

Herla.9685

There's no regional restrictions in-game; European players can play with NA players can play with Asian players. I'm not sure if there will be 'recommended servers' or not, but as far as we've seen, you can play with anyone from anywhere at any time.

EuroGAF is more than welcome, the more the merrier.

Isn't WvW locked to one guild/one server ? Like I said before, that might become problematic for europeans (lag during large PvE events is accetable but massive PvP has to be as smooth as possible IMO).
I'll try to test it during the beta weekends on both an east coast and west coast server, if possible. If any other non-american player plans to do the same, please share your experiences!

Retro

Isn't WvW locked to one guild/one server ? Like I said before, that might become problematic for europeans (lag during large PvE events is accetable but massive PvP has to be as smooth as possible IMO).
I'll try to test it during the beta weekends on both an east coast and west coast server, if possible. If any other non-american player plans to do the same, please share your experiences!

Yes, you can only represent your home server in WvW, so GAF Guild will all need to be on the same server. PVE and Competitive PVP has no server restrictions though.

I would hope the latency isn't too bad, but it is definitely something to consider. If it seems to be an issue, we probably should have a second, Euro-centric guild.

Retro

Best decision you've ever made man. Use the gift cards for toothbrushes and pencils or something.

Psh. Spend it all on Mountain Dew, Energy Drinks, Funyuns, Candy and Pizza Hut giftcards. What kinda gamer are you, man?

lol I will use them to buy a mic since I don't have one, probably will buy a clip on(zalman) or Sennheiser PC series headphones

Just puttin' this out there since I recently came into a pair of these (Thanks again, Arken) and they're pretty damn sweet; Turtle Beach EarForce X12

Ferny

I was going to ask what class most people we're going, but I think i'll wait till after the first pre-purchase beta weekend so people get an idea firsthand.

lol I will use them to buy a mic since I don't have one, probably will buy a clip on(zalman) or Sennheiser PC series headphones

My Zalman clip on mic started getting screwy after a few months, i think it had a defective connector. I ended up getting this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IT9P3G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works great and it comes with 2 magnets that you can attach to any headset you want. While pricey, I find it works better than a normal clipon

Ferny

I went ahead and updated the OP with the guild name but I've decided on Gaming Age Force [GAF]. It seemed like the better option between going with something sort of funny or just NeoGAF so it includes the site we're representing but also a force to be reckoned with
3AQmK.gif

Thanks go to Retro for coming up with it.

Retro

I went ahead and updated the OP with the guild name but I've decided on Gaming Age Force [GAF]. It seemed like the better option between going with something sort of funny or just NeoGAF so it includes the site we're representing but also a force to be reckoned with
3AQmK.gif

To be fair, I don't think I was the first one to suggest this, though I do remember listing it at one point. I'll go dig around and see who suggested it first though.

Edit: GrizzNkev suggested "GAF Assault Force . . . It would be Gaming Age Forum Assault Force" in this post. Birdchili also suggested "Gaming Age Front" here. A couple posts later I listed both Gaming Age Front and Force, with credit to Bird. So it was kind of a community effort.

I do agree that it represents GAF without being blunt about it and without any kind of negative connotation. Most players are simply going to see "Your name" [GAF] when out in the game.

ShaneB

3AQmK.gif

Sounds good to me!

01DragonFly

3AQmK.gif

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I am ok with the name , Is the same but different at the same time lol , I just wanted to use the flip table

My Zalman clip on mic started getting screwy after a few months, i think it had a defective connector. I ended up getting this

Works great and it comes with 2 magnets that you can attach to any headset you want. While pricey, I find it works better than a normal clipon

probably this will be better that the clip on since you can actually change the position of the mic, thanks will check it out . The turtle beach is a nice option but will probably have to try them out and check out the sound myself .

zulfate

gaming age force just sounds weird to me, why couldnt we just have neogaf? but then again my opinion wouldnt have mattered lol.

names dont matter its the people in that will make it or break it. how long do you think the guild will last 3-4 months? lol i say this because i have been in 4 gaf guilds and they dont last very long....but i like to think we will be different.

Ferny

At the end of the day I think most people will refer to the guild as 'GAF' anyway and like you said the name doesn't matter as much as the people in it. I honestly see this guild lasting longer than most GAF Guilds do for two reasons.

The first reason being that the game has no subscription fees so you can go and come as you please and not have to worry about any monthly charges. The second reason being that this GW community just seems WAY more into the game as whole than i've seen in a while. I've been apart of the Rift guild, WoW guild, and ran one of the SWTOR guilds, and none of them had the kind of enthusiasm this community does. We'll see how that translates in game of course but I think it'll be much better.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I am ok with the name , Is the same but different at the same time lol , I just wanted to use the flip table

probably this will be better that the clip on since you can actually change the position of the mic, thanks will check it out . The turtle beach is a nice option but will probably have to try them out and check out the sound myself .

Yea and all you really need is a nice quality set of headphones, not limiting yourself to gaming ones opens up your options. I'd suggest checking the headphone thread in Off Topic for suggestions.

Ryan_

Hm... I, myself, am from the European mainland. Should I wait for a European guild or go ahead and stay here? Would it be a problem with the time difference?

Also, can someone be so kind to tell me where I can find the username with the numbers?
Thanks in advance!

Ferny

Hm... I, myself, am from the European mainland. Should I wait for a European guild or go ahead and stay here? Would it be a problem with the time difference?

Also, can someone be so kind to tell me where I can find the username with the numbers?
Thanks in advance!

If you'd like you can stay in till it becomes a problem with lag or whatever but from the sounds of things, they have looked into that. The time difference won't be a problem because there will be people on at all times of the day.

The username.xxxx will be in a email that you get from them after you pre-purchase.

ShaneB

At the end of the day I think most people will refer to the guild as 'GAF' anyway and like you said the name doesn't matter as much as the people in it. I honestly see this guild lasting longer than most GAF Guilds do for two reasons.

The first reason being that the game has no subscription fees so you can go and come as you please and not have to worry about any monthly charges. The second reason being that this GW community just seems WAY more into the game as whole than i've seen in a while. I've been apart of the Rift guild, WoW guild, and ran one of the SWTOR guilds, and none of them had the kind of enthusiasm this community does. We'll see how that translates in game of course but I think it'll be much better.

The no factions thing is a big bonus as well. It doesn't split the userbase, and there's no sense of wanting to leave one faction and try the other. Whatever you'll be doing, it'll all be in the one GAF guild, and that helps with management and planning and all that good stuff.

Also, figure I'll add my id here now. ShaneB.4593

nataku

This is really nice. I was looking for a nice mic I could use with my HD555's. The extra wire coming from the headphone does suck, but what can you do.

Ferny

The no factions thing is a big bonus as well. It doesn't split the userbase, and there's no sense of wanting to leave one faction and try the other. Whatever you'll be doing, it'll all be in the one GAF guild, and that helps with management and planning and all that good stuff.

That's another good point. That will help the overall numbers of the guild.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

That's probably one of the coolest things I like about this game is the fact that you can multi-guild. I've been getting emails and phone calls from old friends and multi-gaming clans like crazy, so the fact that I'm not stuck in one makes this a non-issue.

Retro

That's probably one of the coolest things I like about this game is the fact that you can multi-guild. I've been getting emails and phone calls from old friends and multi-gaming clans like crazy, so the fact that I'm not stuck in one makes this a non-issue.

Just remember; while you can multi-guild and play across multiple servers, you can only WvW on your home server (since it's server vs. server). So if you want to engage in that particular aspect of the game, you'll need to be on the same server as the people you want to play with.

Translation: Get your friends on the same server as Gaming Age Force to ensure maximum WvW enjoyment.

Ferny

So if it does end up being this weekend for the BWE, we'll go ahead and get the guild up for everyone asap. I'll be on as soon as the servers allow so if you don't need any gold to start it, i'll do it right away. If not we'll pull some gold coinage together and get it up.

I can't wait to get my grubby hands on it!!

SDBurton

Just remember; while you can multi-guild and play across multiple servers, you can only WvW on your home server (since it's server vs. server). So if you want to engage in that particular aspect of the game, you'll need to be on the same server as the people you want to play with.

Translation: Get your friends on the same server as Gaming Age Force to ensure maximum WvW enjoyment.

Working on it. ;)

nataku

Working on it. ;)

Same here. I hope they release a server list pretty far in advance. Honestly, the split server structure is one of the things I'm most disappointed about with GW2. It's nearly impossible to get all the people I know and the friends of friends together on one server. It'd be nice if they gave everyone a one time free home world transfer once things got going, but they probably won't.

SDBurton

Same here. I hope they release a server list pretty far in advance. Honestly, the split server structure is one of the things I'm most disappointed about with GW2. It's nearly impossible to get all the people I know and the friends of friends together on one server. It'd be nice if they gave everyone a one time free home world transfer once things got going, but they probably won't.

My thoughts exactly. It would make planning sooo much easier.

Achtius

I thought you can switch as much as you want? o_O The limitation is you can't do WvW until the current one is over.

or did they change that?

edit: nevermind, just read what a home server is

Ferny

Yeah get all your friends and buddies on GAF's server so we can wreck other servers on WvW otherwise we will roll them ;)

Top Bottom