• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gymnastics at the Olympics / Worlds |OT| Artistic, Rhythmic, & Trampoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
Since Women' all around is today,

If anyone wasn't watching in 2008 and you're looking for something to watch, I recommend watching the all around from that year. It's on youtube.

One of the most nerve wracking and dramatic events I ever remember watching. There was controversy all night as the commentators were openly complaining about the judging. It led to one of the happiest endings as the controversial judging didn't matter in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrB8KLjdsc

If anyone just wants the ending with Nastia's great floor routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_80QQF-KcU

Meh3D

Since Women' all around is today,

If anyone wasn't watching in 2008 and you're looking for something to watch, I recommend watching the all around from that year. It's on youtube.

One of the most nerve wracking and dramatic events I ever remember watching. There was controversy all night as the commentators were openly complaining about the judging. It led to one of the happiest endings as the controversial judging didn't matter in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrB8KLjdsc

If anyone just wants the ending with Nastia's great floor routine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_80QQF-KcU

That's weird that I don't even remember a controversy. It didn't feel nerve wracking to me (at least the all around.) I did love seeing Nastia's routines. Shawn Johnson on the other hand I just felt terrible for. International judges just shat on anything she did.

Such a shame Komova is out with an injury (and is retired I hear.) Besides the odd character/bahvioral issues, she's a beautiful gymnast when she hits. Similar to Nastia though there is something there that makes me feel she's not as polished.

Lothar

Banned
That's weird that I don't even remember a controversy. It didn't feel nerve wracking to me (at least the all around.) I did love seeing Nastia's routines. Shawn Johnson on the other hand I just felt terrible for. International judges just shat on anything she did.

Such a shame Komova is out with an injury (and is retired I hear.) Besides the odd character/bahvioral issues, she's a beautiful gymnast when she hits. Similar to Nastia though there is something there that makes me feel she's not as polished.

It's usually nerve wrecking when they get to the end of the all arounds because you know they're one wrong move away from being legendary and having the top moment in their life to being utterly devastated knowing they probably won't get a second chance. They could also fall and get injured. One additional reason Nastia's final performance was nerve wrecking was because she had just fell before warming up.

Now I leave the thread so I won't get spoiled.

MIMIC

Banned
DzXc9x5.png

eAjQwrh.png

wfF13pd.png

ZlJ8u8N.png

DfqImMj.png

qX4MmU0.png

v1ExcTM.png

255aVvx.png

King!

Wow.

Nothing to worry about, Bars is by far Simone and Aly's worst event, they were expected to fall behind Mustafina here. They'll come back on Beam and they are the queens of the Floor. Still expecting it to go 1-2 USA.

GREAT routine, dismount wasn't good, if Aly gets above 15 she'll be in Silver position.

EDIT: Thought that score was really low, should have been at least a 15. It comes down to floor between Mustafina and Aly for Silver...Biles has gold locked up, her floor routine is near-flawless.

Dang they must have really docked her for that dismount. Mustafina remains in 2nd with 1 rotation to go. Biles lead seems insurmountable at this point

Pretty much. Mustafina is really good on floor though. It's going to be close for silver, that said Raismann pretty much has at least bronze locked up so that's good.

giga

People saying Aly crying because she knows she got it is making me cry. And I'm not even watching. 😭😭😭

sphinx

the piano man
lol

this is awesome, Biles' supremacy is amazing.

it's like "I just need to do what I normally do, nothing extraordinary, and I beat all of you bitches"

sphinx

the piano man
Mustafina gotta thank the cap rule because Douglas would have gotten silver or bronze.

plus.. is it me or could she have been a bit.. friendlier at the end?

The Americans where looking for her to celebrate as the 3 top spots and Mustafina like "oh leave me alone, I am minding my own business".

Yiazmat

So Aly and Aliya are the first Olympic AA medalists above the age of 20 since Khorkina in 2004.

Also the average age for female gymnasts at these olympics is 20.77

giga

plus.. is it me or could she have been a bit.. friendlier at the end?

The Americans where looking for her to celebrate as the 3 top spots and Mustafina like "oh leave me alone, I am minding my own business".

She's always been an ice queen.

Cross-posting from the other thread to see what you guys think...

As great as Biles is, why are news outlets reporting her as 'the best gymnast of all time' instead of 'the best female gymnast of all time'? She certainly does not compare in sheer skill or technical mastery to the likes of Kohei Uchimura, so what metric are they using as a basis for their assertions? The relative lead gap against their respective opponents? Consecutive wins?

I'm just annoyed at the self-important attitude of the US and the Networks focusing on the achievements of US athletes. If the US men's gymnastics team wasn't so shitty, I highly doubt they'd be throwing around that title for Simone so freely.

As great as Biles is, why are news outlets reporting her as 'the best gymnast of all time' instead of 'the best female gymnast of all time'? She certainly does not compare in sheer skill or technical mastery to the likes of Kohei Uchimura, so what metric are they using as a basis for their assertions? The relative lead gap against their respective opponents? Consecutive wins?

I'm just annoyed at the self-important attitude of the US and the Networks focusing on the achievements of US athletes. If the US men's gymnastics team wasn't so shitty, I highly doubt they'd be throwing around that title for Simone so freely.

I agree. I think the problem is that there never really has been a great American male gymnast (maybe Paul Hamm) while the women's team conjures up memories of Mary Lou and the Magnificent Seven. That is why the US will always treat gymnastics as a girl's sport. Hell, when my sister was in gymnastics, the gym she went to didn't even have a boy's program.

Mumei

Well, this should make you very slightly happier.

Was this posted on Imgur as a single album post or something?

I agree. I think the problem is that there never really has been a great American male gymnast (maybe Paul Hamm) while the women's team conjures up memories of Mary Lou and the Magnificent Seven. That is why the US will always treat gymnastics as a girl's sport. Hell, when my sister was in gymnastics, the gym she went to didn't even have a boy's program.

I understand this, but is it that much of a problem for the media to talk about Uchimura?! Why does it need to be a US Olympian?

And my lord if the US ever achieved something like the Magnificent Seven for men, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Brainchild..... this seems like a lot of shit over nothing.

Get over it. The slight only exists in your mind.

Really? So there's no GARGANTUAN difference in media news coverage between Biles and Uchimura?! Wow, it must have all been a dream!

Well, this should make you very slightly happier.

Was this posted on Imgur as a single album post or something?

Thank you so much for this!! :)

Btw, so glad to see this thread. Never knew it existed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom