• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Acorn

I'm not a fan of people using the term SJW loosely either, but I don't think I have any other name for someone like her. She went full, delusional warrior mode at the drop of a hat.
SJW has so far been used by nobody I would be likely to respect. Ethan using that term is disappointing.

Its up there with "salt" memes in annoying hot air rhetoric.

Red Frost

Banned
see, for talk like this I'd like to see the receipts.

Trying to find stuff on Twitter right now. The comment he left on a Shoe video seems to be deleted and the only proof is a reddit thread where people are talking about it, but not what the comment actually was.

Other than that, you'd have to pay $5 to subscribe to Oney or Psychicpebbles and watch one of the past streams Ethan was on. They definitely had a conversation a while back about them getting harassed over words they've used and how "SJWs are ruining comedy" and stuff.

And to be fair, they've also criticized the other side by calling Sargon a manipulative money-grubber that doesn't believe what he says, but more often than not they'l go after the "offended people".

That video isn't Filthy Frank.

I shouldn't have used him as an example.

Ethan is friends with Filthy Frank, JonTron and is friendly with other YouTube personalities online, being friendly with someone does not mean they share views. JonTron has beem accused of being a GG supporter before but he isn't, he just doesnt agree with a lot of talking points of the other side.

Personally I try to avoid using the word SJW, much like I don't use words like "feminazis". There are legitimately extreme feminists out there that are out for blood, no doubt, and you could say the word feminazi applies to that specific type of feminist and is in no way a condemnation of feminism as a whole. But when I hear someone say "feminazi", I always wonder if they're using it as a catch-all term to express their disdain for all feminists.

With SJW, I feel the same. When I hear it, I always wonder if the person who's saying it is criticizing a certain type of insufferable people who see social issues where there are none, or if they're hating on even the most legitimate fights for social justice. So I can see why people would be a bit surprised to hear Ethan use it.

That said, it's clear that he's using the word to describe a specific subset of crazy people, not people who fight for social justice in general, so he's still A-OK in my book.

This sums up me feelings better than my original post to be honest that's my main issue with the video

Red Frost

Banned
What's wrong with that worldview? Are all non-liberals not worthy of your attention?

Nothing, I'm a fan of Shoe. I'm more addressing the people that are saying stuff like "Ethan is above this" and stuff like that as if his worldview not totally aligning with their's is worthy of lost respect for him. It's the kind of thing I see often here, like a mod saying "People that unironically use SJW are garbage people, no exceptions".

Ethan is friends with Filthy Frank, JonTron and is friendly with other YouTube personalities online, being friendly with someone does not mean they share views. JonTron has beem accused of being a GG supporter before but he isn't, he just doesnt agree with a lot of talking points of the other side.

Not disagreeing there.

Sagely

Nothing, I'm a fan of Shoe. I'm more addressing the people that are saying stuff like "Ethan is above this" and stuff like that as if his worldview not totally aligning with their's is worthy of lost respect for him.
Yeah, going from his videos I can speculate that Ethan is a good guy who may not have a hyper nuanced appreciation of current social issues (just like many people). I found his use of SJW a bit uncomfortable because I personally am sensitive to it and find it a very loaded term, but it's not made me any less interested in his future content. Maybe he is appealing to a certain demographic of his audience, maybe he genuinely shares the beliefs of some of his Youtube friends, but overall I like his material. He said feminism was great in this video and makes fun of PUAs so that's good enough for me.

Likewise, I understand if others thought he came across insensitive in this video. I do admit I had some negative kneejerk reactions to this one myself, even fully admitting that the woman he reacted to was insanely aggressive and deluded.

i think it would have been better to make a thread about it. now the OT is unreadable for someone who doesnt care about this all that much.

Isn't the lawsuit against Ethan from a creepy pick up artist type in the first place?

Jon being 'GG' always felt like a combination of earlier drama's (like Jon going off at a random user getting offended he said 'retarded') abd his slight history with Zoe being extrapolated by both sides when he always struck me as kind of clueless about the whole thing. Pp made more directly inflammatory comments at the time but has also talked at length about regretting them since he lost a ton of friends over it and on Sleepycabin how them and that crew don't like being lumped in with GG. FilthyFrank is literally a parody of internet culture in general. I've seen enough of the SC crew to really like them and feel while they're crude and definitely throw some political shit out there that makes them difficult to talk about positively on GAF, they're not bad people. PsychicPebbles still regularly throws out eye-rolling commentary on Twitter now and then though, even when I agree with him. Hell, people bitch about OneyG now and then here yet he's still close to Egoraptor who was one of the earlier personalities speaking out against GG.

Shoe is the only actual legit Gator people are bringing up here, and unless there's more direct crossover with her behaviour/ opinions (and I'm talking about way more than just regular anti PC stuff) and what H3 do I don't see it a a cause for concern.

There's a *ton* of online personalities GAF likes and were vocally against GG who were and still are good friends with Total Biscuit at the height of his involvement with the movement.

y2dvd

Finally got around to watching that feminist video. Yikes at her straight out accusing him of sexual harassment and abuse.

nynt9

Trying to find stuff on Twitter right now. The comment he left on a Shoe video seems to be deleted and the only proof is a reddit thread where people are talking about it, but not what the comment actually was.

Other than that, you'd have to pay $5 to subscribe to Oney or Psychicpebbles and watch one of the past streams Ethan was on. They definitely had a conversation a while back about them getting harassed over words they've used and how "SJWs are ruining comedy" and stuff.

And to be fair, they've also criticized the other side by calling Sargon a manipulative money-grubber that doesn't believe what he says, but more often than not they'l go after the "offended people".

They don't go after "offended people" "more often than not." They have like 3 videos making fun of people who are overly offended, and they have a vast catalogue of videos making fun of PUAs, sexually creepy "pranks" and more. They've generally stood against sexist shit in their videos. Just because they are against some fringe elements doesn't mean they're anti-feminist. That's a bizarre framing. Also, condemning people for the actions of those who they loosely associate with is pretty low hanging fruit too. We don't know their relationships with those people, and you can be friends with people you disagree with. Being someone's friend doesn't mean you explicitly endorse everything they say. That's absurd.

While this video was rather disappointing with Ethan's stance, they're not above course correcting so people should let them know how they feel about the views, but writing them off and lumping them in with gamergaters and whatnot is overkill.

Hylian7

Personally I try to avoid using the word SJW, much like I don't use words like "feminazis". There are legitimately extreme feminists out there that are out for blood, no doubt, and you could say the word feminazi applies to that specific type of feminist and is in no way a condemnation of feminism as a whole. But when I hear someone say "feminazi", I always wonder if they're using it as a catch-all term to express their disdain for all feminists.

With SJW, I feel the same. When I hear it, I always wonder if the person who's saying it is criticizing a certain type of insufferable people who see social issues where there are none, or if they're hating on even the most legitimate fights for social justice. So I can see why people would be a bit surprised to hear Ethan use it.

That said, it's clear that he's using the word to describe a specific subset of crazy people, not people who fight for social justice in general, so he's still A-OK in my book.
I agree with this. He even said in the video that he supports feminism, but this woman is off her rocker and I don't think you will find anyone that thinks she was in the right there.

Red Frost

Banned
They don't go after "offended people" "more often than not." They have like 3 videos making fun of people who are overly offended, and they have a vast catalogue of videos making fun of PUAs, sexually creepy "pranks" and more.

That was in reference to the streams, not H3 videos.

Fat4all

Banned
IPVtSbJ.png

i really don't understand

K.Sabot

performance art is the only thing i can come up with

watch that channel pop up in some performer's linkedin in the future

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
i really don't understand

Looks like he will make one of those if you give him 5 dollars.

Frankly, it's the most baffling channel I've ran across.

Performance art? I hope that's right.

Seventy70

I feel like their output has been sort of lackluster ever since they moved to LA. Especially the newest video with the toy channel. Normally when they do a reaction video, they add something of value like making you see the video in a different way, but in this case it was just "Hey, look at this!." You really could've gotten the same thing out of it if you had just gone to the original video directly. Like if the person that made the video was being actually serious, it would work, but it's obviously a joke channel. Idk maybe they're just getting adjusted or something.

y2dvd

That video could not have ended soon enough. So creepy.

Is it me or have Hila kinda been calling out Ethan out lately? She seems less thrilled to participate in these videos lately.

Top Bottom