• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALCALI Appreciation Thread (Japanese schoolgirls do the Mario!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a retread of my gushing over in the Mix CD thread. It was getting out of hand.

HALCALI is awesome!!

g2003070306futari.jpg

They are the funniest, dopest rapping middle schoolers produced by Dragon Ash in the whole of Japan, and their lack of universal super fame and fortune is a total mystery. They're cute! They're skilled at rapping! Their songs are awesome synthy cool! They do really funny dances! In their music video for their first single, Tandem, they dress up in overalls and run through SMB 1-1!! HELLO!

halcali2.jpg

Here are links to MP3s of their first three singles: Tandem, Electric Sensei, Giri Giri Surf Rider.

Their videos are great. The video for Tandem opens with the camera slowly zooming in on a TV; then the two of them fall into SMB 1-1 as the lyrics start and begin this start-stop arm-swinging funky dorky dance while singing toward the camera and looking adorable. It's so awesome.

tandem.jpg

The Giri Giri Surf Rider one parodies Michael Jackson's Beat It with two groups of 80's-style Japanese Yankee schoolgirl thugs fighting it out. The one for Electric Sensei parodies the Dragon Ash video where they kick ass at Ping Pong; the Halcali version has them playing ping pong very, very poorly.

You can see some clips of these videos on their website; it's kind of a pain, but so, SO worth it. First, go to their DVD website, get past the opening, then click on the kanji in the lower right-hand corner ("haru-kani," or "spring crab"). This gives you a list ofstatic items to click on; the grean leaf leads to a concentration type game; match up a pair of images and it gives you a video clip. The images in the memory game are icons of the corresponding album/single, which are found on their main site. Click the red HALCALI logos for Tandem and INCREDIBLE Mario dancing action!! Complete with mosaiced-out mario, koopa troopa, and goombas. Giri Giri Surfrider is the embossed blue logo with the "waves," and Electric Sensei is the "regular" blue logo.

(Thanks to FnordChan for decoding the Flash site.)

halcalianime.jpg

So listen to the MP3s, watch the video clips, worship the adorably awesome HALCALI, and remember: once we track down a high-quality version of Tandem, I call dibs on the inevitable Mario dance avatar!

Strawberry Chips > all. Quite possibly the most addicting song i've ever heard. Even though as far as videos go it's probably their weakest one aside from Electric Sensei.

Tandems still their best video if only for all the stuff they parody. Including Hikki's Automatic video (it's during the scene where they're in a read room with shirts dancing around with black bars over their eyes).

Moral of the story is they kickass. Hopefully they've got a new album planned for this year.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i have halicalis newest video if anyone wants it. i dont have any place to upload it to though.

halicali.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom