• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: Episode Three speculation

MrPing1000 said:
I'm really interested in how the hell are valve going to make the narrative work when your leading lady just
lost her father
and you the player CANNOT TALK.

Of course they might just have gman get rid of Alyx for most of it to save them that headache.

Yeah I was wondering that too, as soon as the game finished!

I imagine it will start during a rather sombre helicopter journey.

SenseiJinx said:
It could be, but that image does look significantly different from the one you're referring to:
fzccjq.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Death_Born said:
Wha-really? I never even noticed that :lol

So it seems that Freeman is actually a "Link" kind of silent protagonist rather than a "Crono" type.
Indeed, I never noticed until a later playthrough of the episodes :lol . It really helps to make you feel more at home as the character, glad Valve added it.

It's especially funny to interact with Alyx for the nth time and have her look at you funny with a raised eyebrow, as if wondering "uh, are you going to stop bugging me for input on this situation?".

Metal B

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the idea that the G-Man is somehow related to Gordon. Like you said, it's likely that he's not even human. He does seem to have some control over slowing time down, or even stopping it, but I don't think he has the power to actually time travel.

At the end he could be an alien, who looks really diffrent. He explain than that he just use a look of Freeman just much more older, because he know Freeman would trust himself and make it easier to controll his actions.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
shhhh! I've yet to finish half life 2.

loving every minute of it. :D

SenseiJinx said:
Death_Born: I dunno...that could be the ships hull, but I'm not convinced...and that's definitely not Alyx. For one thing it's in the foreground, and that object is significantly smaller than Freeman.

You're right, it's just some kind of errant metal rod or something. But the construction of the latticed metal is definitely not of Combine design - remember that the combine use modular architecture for everything, so they build it out of vertical rods.

Oreoleo

otake said:
shhhh! I've yet to finish half life 2.

loving every minute of it. :D

You'll love it even more when you don't have to wait a year and a half to find out what happens afterwards in EP1.

firex

starchild excalibur said:
I haven't played HL1, but I didn't know the combine were a separate species. I thought they were just humans with masks on.
Supposedly they were the ones controlling the Xen aliens, which is why there are no controllers/alien grunts in HL2, yet there are headcrabs and barnacles and vortigaunts.

The only reason I doubt Gordon will weild the Portal gun is the fact that (to my understanding) he doesn't have an official character model that we've seen, and I don't think we will see one. I wouldn't mind seeing GLaDOS again though.

Joe Molotov

Buttonbasher said:
I guess that's true. But didn't Chell have the special things on her feet to allow fall from higher? How would that be explained?

Gordon has the HEV suit, that thing can take quite a beating.

Buttonbasher said:
The only reason I doubt Gordon will weild the Portal gun is the fact that (to my understanding) he doesn't have an official character model that we've seen, and I don't think we will see one. I wouldn't mind seeing GLaDOS again though.

Hehehehehe

6lsnog

Sibylus

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Gordon has the HEV suit, that thing can take quite a beating.
Fall damage would have to be axed. Doesn't mean there couldn't some kind of "dark energy upgrade" for it, though.

We love you dark energy, you solve so many problems!

Slavik81

Alien Bob said:
my favorite shirt
A bit off topic, but...

Beware. Valve has no sizing information and their shirts are made for GIANTS.
Not even customer service can tell you sizing information.

And the only shipping allowed to Canada is the $27 FedEx Express. It's fast as fuck, and it's $27 flat regardless of how much you order. Aside from duties... but it's the only international shipping option.

I'm not too upset. I picked up $200 worth of junk between myself and a few friends. My stuff needed to be returned, so all in all, the shirt and hoodie ended up costing ~$120 ($70 for the stuff + $50 shipping and taxes and customs fees). And that was with the shipping split 4 ways.

Totally worth it, but... Just make sure you know that you'll be paying significantly more in shipping than any normal online store if you're in Canada or any other country aside from the US.

SenseiJinx said:
Anyway, didn't think about the issue of having to see Gordon through the portals. You'll notice that there's not a single reflective surface in HL2, so it seems like purposefully don't want to show you him...

Vadernooo.JPG

Jaagen

Slavik81 said:
Totally worth it, but... Just make sure you know that you'll be paying significantly more in shipping than any normal online store if you're in Canada or any other country aside from the US.

What? They actually ship outside of the US? Does it apply to all items, because last time I tried to buy stuff at their store, they couldn't ship outside the US.

Thaedolus

God, why did you have to make this thread? Here I had stopped thinking about HL...almost a year has passed since Episode 2...now I'm gonna have it on my mind. The wait SUCKS.

Hurry up Valve.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just throwing this out there for what it's worth....
What if Alyx has the portal gun?

It could solve alot of the problems from the past few posts.

Hell, I'm not really convinced the portal gun as we know it is even in the borealis. I'm sure *something* along those lines is, but there is too much that we don't know to start discussing the ramifications of it being a usable item in the game.

Thaedolus said:
God, why did you have to make this thread? Here I had stopped thinking about HL...almost a year has passed since Episode 2...now I'm gonna have it on my mind. The wait SUCKS.

Hurry up Valve.

Don't worry...as the epic conclusion to Half-Life and having taken extra time to finish, I'm sure it will be longer than the other episodes and suitably awesome.

Jtwo said:

OMG. I am now re-hyped. This would solve the problems of shooting the gun wherever you want, AND seeing yourself in the portal.

This thread was largelly needed!

One of the best sagas ever, only criticism i have is the time they take releasing new episodes :|

SenseiJinx said:
Especially the dark energy particles that Breen promised to name after Gordon.

Anyway, didn't think about the issue of having to see Gordon through the portals. You'll notice that there's not a single reflective surface in HL2, so it seems like purposefully don't want to show you him...

Wow, you're right. I Never noticed it but there really isn't any reflective surface in the games. Interesting...

SenseiJinx said:

WHOAguitarninja said:
Wow, you're right. I Never noticed it but there really isn't any reflective surface in the games. Interesting...

?

5odc6z

More likely Gordon Freeman is a vampire! :lol

Cheeto

WHOAguitarninja said:
Weren't there mirrors in Black Mesa's bathrooms in HL1?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nice write-up. Do you think
Dr. Breen is still alive
? I know there's some ambiguity there. I hope we see him again, personally. He had some amusing lines.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fantastic writeup, OP... I kinda forgot a lot of the little details when I went through the HL2 saga, but this writeup makes me more hyped than ever for ep3. Especially since I think ep2 is the best HL yet.

Sibylus

Banned
Jtwo said:

Hell, I'm not really convinced the portal gun as we know it is even in the borealis. I'm sure *something* along those lines is, but there is too much that we don't know to start discussing the ramifications of it being a usable item in the game.
That'd be pretty awesome. Some cool music would start blaring and the two of you would just start beating the shit out of waves of Combine.

*Portal opens up from a wall high above*
*Explosive barrel flies through*
*Hilarity ensues*

The other players who don't hold much appreciation for the character would probably feel cheated somehow, though.

SenseiJinx said:
So I was playing Portal a little bit tonight, when something popped into my mind.

This room doesn't remind anybody else of Aperture Laboratories, does it?

The textures seem a bit less...clean, but it seems to share the same architectural design and hues we saw in Portal. I downsized this pic a bit, so it's a little bit harder to tell, but the glass on the doors is even the same kind from the Aperture Laboratories.

Heh, it probably means nothing. They were probably just trying for a certain theme in that scene, and the same kind of style from Portal fit in well.

Black Mesa foyer, the large screen flashes the logo during the scene. It's hard to recognize that famous room in the Source engine.

zer0das

Banned
Whoa... whoa... now that you mentioned Aperture Science and the GMan my head has just exploded. What if he got ahold of a portal gun? It makes perfect sense how he's able to follow Gordan around. But then, that doesn't explain his ability to stop time... or the fact that he probably isn't human.

Despite this little mental freakout of mine, I don't think Valve is going to reveal who he is anytime soon. They'd be stupid to do so. They've built up the speculation around him so much that anything they reveal is probably going to result in severe disappointment. They might reveal something about the nature of how he does things (ie, his briefcase), but to reveal the man himself? I don't think so.

Top Bottom