• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2: Episode Three speculation

Sibylus

Banned
I'm guessing they're going to work in the underground puzzle they cut from Episode Two. From what the commentary tells us, it sounded cool.

Xrenity

SenseiJinx said:
:O

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/slancko/c1a00001.jpg[/IG]

vs.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/slancko/hl22008-08-2300-27-24-32.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Ha, that's so awesome.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Orellio said:
Makes me want to play Black Mesa Source so fucking bad. When's that ever going to come out :(
At this point I think it's safe to say... never. Which sucks, considering how terrific it looks.

c1a0_release11_001.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, just assume that Black Mesa is never going to come out. It'll keep you from being disappointed when it never does, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if there's a miracle and it is.

What puzzle is that? I haven't played the game with commentary since my second playthrough, sometime last year.
I'll dig around for a sound file. Basically, Valve liked it but cut it because the mines were too long.

blackmesa source is still coming. I play on a tf2 server some of them play on from time to time. One was actually on last night advertising the site and I asked if it was ever coming and he laughed and said yeah its still coming out.

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, just assume that Black Mesa is never going to come out. It'll keep you from being disappointed when it never does, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if there's a miracle and it is.

They've been keeping a devblog, whose last entry was this month. They've finished a hell of a lot already. Hopefully, if the mod dies for some reason, they will release it in its unfinished state rather than hoard it for themselves.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SuperEnemyCrab said:
blackmesa source is still coming. I play on a tf2 server some of them play on from time to time. One was actually on last night advertising the site and I asked if it was ever coming and he laughed and said yeah its still coming out.
Yeah, there's some activity in the forums and the dev blog, but seriously, at this poing it is hard to believe.

Funky Papa said:
Yeah, there's some activity in the forums and the dev blog, but seriously, at this poing it is hard to believe.
Just because they don't update either of those things, doesn't simply mean that they aren't working on it.

Tenks

Orange Box has got to be the best single player FPS experience available at the moment. Thanks for that link a few pages back for the HL timeline. Very informative. Heres to hoping Valve releases Ep3 on PS3!

SenseiJinx said:
Indeed. Honestly, I think they need an iterative release schedule, or else they'll never get anything done. It's one of the problems with huge mods like this. They're just working under their own steam (lulz), and have no external publisher pressure to release, like a retail game has. Just think, if Valve was never pushed to release a project (they weren't doing it for money) would they ever get anything done?

Even at the rate they're going, they'll probably finish before Episode 3 :lol

Sibylus

Banned
Ecchi-Time7 said:
Will we finally be finishing the fight in ep 3?
I certainly hope not, I'm having too much fun!

The most drastic thing you get to do is make HL3 with Gordon and Alyx, Valve! *crazy-guy stare*

x3sphere

Funky Papa said:
At this point I think it's safe to say... never. Which sucks, considering how terrific it looks.

c1a0_release11_001.jpg

There was a beta that leaked awhile back of this and they've actually completed a lot. Hopefully it does get finished.

Sciz

I wonder if they're still planning to outsource Episode 4, or if that whole idea has been canned. Haven't heard anything on it for a long time, but then we haven't heard anything on 3 either.

Woffls

I doubt there will be an episode 4, It'll be getting near the time in 2009/10 when Source might be replaced, and they'll want Half Life 3 to showcase it. and good things always come in threes.

Episode 3 will be awesometastically amazing, obviously. But I want to feel a little bit of PC gamer elitism by playing it at least 2 weeks before all you console gamers. *shakes fist*

Scipius

Sciz said:

Yeah, could be that after Ep. 3 they'd go back to the HL1 model of expansions: similar setting, different characters. I wonder if they would be in the same timeline as HL2 and who will be developing it. Gearbox?

That way we'll have more of the world of City 17 without contaminating the story line too much, while Valve goes back underground to develop the next-gen (hopefully non-episodic) Half-Life 3.

Sibylus

Banned
I have to wonder what Episode Three's soundtrack will be like. Every game in the saga has sounded incredible so far.

firex

you know what I hope? I hope somehow episode 3 sets up a possible sequel later where you play as Adrian Shephard. the guy's been sitting in a quarantine out in Xen somewhere since Opposing Force. It'd be cool if Episode 3 leads to Gordon escaping Gman's control, and Gman needs a new operative, so he brings back Shephard (or at least sets it up so that he could bring back Shephard for the next game). I still think it's fun how you can play through the HL1 story from 3 different perspectives (Gordon, Shephard, and Barney) through HL, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. They can't do that with Barney anymore, but Shephard could remain a blank slate.

Sciz

SenseiJinx said:
Interesting! I hadn't read that. How long ago was that article published?
Well, if you go by those dates, mid-2007. I haven't read it myself, and I couldn't tell you when I first heard about it either. Didn't get into the series until Dec. 2006 though, so it at least predates Ep. 2 by a while.

Botolf said:
I have to wonder what Episode Three's soundtrack will be like. Every game in the saga has sounded incredible so far.
If the trend continues, it'll rock out even more than Ep. 2 did.

Sciz

Botolf said:
Comes out much clearer than before, even though my Youtube account was set at highest. Wth Youtube.
Just because Youtube doesn't offer a higher quality video doesn't mean that there isn't one available.

Sibylus

Banned
I hope Valve gives us another landmark in the sky for Episode Three.

HL2: The Citadel
Episode One: The Citadel creating an orange/reddish storm
Episode Two: A massive, blue superportal growing in the ruins of the Citadel

For Episode Three: The Aurora Borealis, maybe?

Sciz said:
Just because Youtube doesn't offer a higher quality video doesn't mean that there isn't one available.
Ok, but I figured that's what the option was supposed to do, use the highest quality video.

firex

Oh yeah, I kind of have doubts about Episode 3 going to the Combine homeworld. Gordon is still human, and the reason Dr. Breen was going to be put into a host body was because he wasn't going to survive on the other side of the portal he was going to escape through.

Sciz

Botolf said:
Ok, but I figured that's what the option was supposed to do, use the highest quality video.
And generally it does, but there's a cutoff date around July 2007. Anything prior to that won't default to HQ.

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, that's a good point. Having that happen would also be quite a bit like Xen, which not everybody was a fan of. Plus, they may not want to do the same thing twice anyway.
Xen was aesthetically really cool, but the platforming was atrocious and the Alien Controllers were a pain in the neck to fight. I wouldn't mind another alien world if it was designed with Valve's modern methods.

JBuccCP

Alyx was all in Gordon's imagination. He made her up to cope with his loneliness on his travels. Kinda like Tyler Durden. Everything you saw Alyx do was actually Gordon doing it himself and imagining Alyx doing it. That's why Alyx is so important. She IS Gordon! Also it was all a dream. Gordon fell asleep on that long ass ride in the trolley thing at the beginning of Half Life 1.

JBuccCP said:
Alyx was all in Gordon's imagination. He made her up to cope with his loneliness on his travels. Kinda like Tyler Durden. Everything you saw Alyx do was actually Gordon doing it himself and imagining Alyx doing it. That's why Alyx is so important. She IS Gordon! Also it was all a dream. Gordon fell asleep on that long ass ride in the trolley thing at the beginning of Half Life 1.

So...Eli was Gordon Freeman's dad? Gordon is mute because he's actually talking in the voice of Alyx? IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

Gordon fell asleep on that long ass ride in the trolley thing at the beginning of Half Life 1.

I have a feeling that the G-man will time-travel Gordon back to Half-Life 1 after defeating the Combine. Then he'll not interfere with the reaction and everything will be set right.

Death_Born said:
I have a feeling that the G-man will time-travel Gordon back to Half-Life 1 after defeating the Combine. Then he'll not interfere with the reaction and everything will be set right.

That'd actually be a really cool ending :D

JSnake

Can someone summarize the story of HL2 for me? I must've started that game about ten times but never finished. Don't want it to be 11 times. But I do plan on playing Ep 1 & 2 when I get my birthday computer so that's why I ask.

All I got so far is "citadel goes boom, Gordon rides flying car."

JSnake said:
Can someone summarize the story of HL2 for me? I must've started that game about ten times but never finished. Don't want it to be 11 times. But I do plan on playing Ep 1 & 2 when I get my birthday computer so that's why I ask.

All I got so far is "citadel goes boom, Gordon rides flying car."

Gordon gets teleported 7 years into the future.

The Combine have enslaved Earth, arriving after HL1's portal opened a wormhole here. They've made all surviving Earth cities into ghettoes.

Gordon arrives in City 17. He gets picked up by his old friend Barney and goes on an adventure to stop Dr. Breen, a Combine collaborator and old Black Mesa dude. He also meets Alyx Vance, daughter of Eli Vance, another Black Mesa dude.

He arrives in the citadel, and blows up Dr. Breen's teleporter as he tries to escape, thus destroying the citadel and opening another, even bigger portal. G-Man teleports him away along with Alyx.

Top Bottom