• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 pre-load delayed until...

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
...tomorrow :p

Instead, tonight we're getting a 60Mb "Video Stress Test" that will allow you to check your rigs likely HL2 performance:

Gabe @ HL2 Fallout said:
Quick update:

- ATI/CZ users will get turned on later tonight for the CS: Source test

- An update will be out today as well. This is largish (~60 MB).

- The size of the update is due to the Video Stress Test it includes. You'll be able to do some initial performance analysis using this test and report the data back to a central server. The results of the VST will be posted on Steampowered.com.

- HL/2 pre-load will begin tomorrow. It was ready yesterday, but we decided to use the bandwidth to get out the VST first since I get pelted with zillions of questions from people asking how their PC will run Half-Life 2.

I'm staying up for a CS:S allnighter, also I hope theres plenty of new HL2 eye-candy in the VST, can't wait to see what kind of HL2 performance I'm going to get.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I guess we'll see preliminary benchmarks tonight then? I want to see how ATI cards do, else i'll pick up a 6800 soon. I care more about source performances than doom3 engine, will all the mods and especially vampire the masquerade, its the engine i'll play the most for a while.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if there is any way to get ahold of that stress test if you aren't testing CS-S?

Kon Tiki

Banned
w00t.gif

I got wood.

Keio

For a Finer World
I tried searching for this, but found nothing:

Who can preload HL2 from Steam? Only ATI coupon owners? Is there a way to buy a cd-key from Valve for HL2?

Well, just finished my CS:CZ preload of CS: Source :) Now the benchmark, please!

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Society said:
HL2 Preload = ATi Coupon holders/Pre-orders. Right?

I believe so, I can't see them wasting bandwidth on sending a Gb+ of data to all Steam users, although that would be one hell of a stress test for Steam, just not terribly efficient. Although they did pre-load CS:CZ to all Steam users at release regardless so who knows?

As for the benchmark/stress test, I read it to mean it was going to be a Steam update, therefore the benchmark would be available to all Steam users, although it could be a CS:S Beta update, in which case it will just be the Cafés, CS:CZ owners & ATI / Pre-orders.

With the way Steam works I doubt it will be a standalone app, although I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising hacker managed to successfully remove it from it's Steam-powered wrapper.

Hopefully it'll be part of a general Steam update, and all Steam users will be able to benchmark. A few hours and we'll know.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully it'll be part of a general Steam update, and all Steam users will be able to benchmark. A few hours and we'll know.

...let's say it is available to everyone...how will we know?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
...let's say it is available to everyone...how will we know?

Once they've 'released' the update the next time you log on with Steam it will auto-update itself, and put up a pop-up with the update details.

I can promise you that ATI voucher owners all around the world have been closing Steam & re-opening it every 5 minutes today like their life depended on it. :p

I haven't though , I managed to control myself to once every 7.5 minutes instead :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
New update:

CS:S Beta will be unlocked to CS:CZ & ATI coupon holders tonight at 7pm PST.

That's in just over 2 hours.

epmode

Thaedolus said:
I still don't know how to preorder HL2 via steam :(

I think you all hate me cause you won't tell me
you can't order it from steam yet.

oh, and we all still hate you.

Thaedolus

epmode said:
you can't order it from steam yet.

oh, and we all still hate you.

At least we cleared that up

Is there any date as to when you can order it? Or do only people who bought ATi cards with the deal get to preload it?

Sirolf

Sorry for repeating the link!!
Lol it's 2:36 am here and i'm waiting for CS: SOurce and the benchmark..Soooo tired !

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Haha Sirolf, same here, only my stamina is disappearing.

Currently trying to decide between a caffeine overdose & bedtime & play tomorrow...

*puts the kettle on*

Zilch

Banned
Also included in this portion of the beta is a Valve Source technology benchmark. The benchmark will be available to all beta participants via the main menu. Results will be displayed upon completion, and beta participants will then have the option to send the results to a Valve-hosted public web page tracking the results as done in prior Valve surveys.

So the benchmark is betatesters-only.

Sirolf

Currently trying to decide between a caffeine overdose & bedtime & play tomorrow...

I really want to see the benchmark too so i just drinke coke with the channel on the olympics games!!!Ahh just one more hour :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
CS:S Beta just became available on my "My Games" list.

Time for some physics fun. :)

Top Bottom