• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of Great Barrier Reef coral 'dead or dying' due to global warming & 93% bleached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

It pisses me off that people still deny climate change. What is there to lose in saying "humans could be ruining the world, let's try and fix that and make it better?". Do people just want to believe that we can do no wrong or something?

It pisses me off that people still deny climate change. What is there to lose in saying "humans could be ruining the world, let's try and fix that and make it better?". Do people just want to believe that we can do no wrong or something?

They just don't want to believe it.

I mean, I'm not super excited about believing in it myself. However, facts are facts and I can't personally throw them out just to let myself not have to think about something upsetting.

Famassu

And for every scientific piece of evidence there is corresponding evidence to refute it.
There simply isn't enough data for them to extrapolate that this issue in Australia is directly related to human effects.
But as usual someone will say it and the media and other sheep will run with it
For every one scientist & scientific article claiming (human-caused) climate change isn't real (studies often funded by parties who want the denial to continue or using methods that are lacking), there's, like, a thousand that say it is from unbiased sources. The scientific consensus is OVERWHELMINGLY in support of climate change that is caused by humans. This narrative that there are a lot of scientist/science against it is total & utter BS that isn't substantiated by any proof.

You don't even have to look at temperatures. There is evidence of climate change all over Earth if you know the signs to look for. Glaciers are melting faster than ever, ocean levels are rising, corals are in ways that are an indication oceans are warmer & warming, desertification is increasing in some previously dry areas that are even drier now etc. None of these would be happening and none of it would be happening/changing so quickly unless climate change was happening. And there's nothing else changing so drastically that could cause the climate change except the amount of greenhouse gases we spread into the atmosphere (Earth's position in relation to the sun isn't changing in a way that the climate would warm this quickly, sun's activity hasn't changed in a way that would explain this decades long warming etc.).

adj_noun

6856466_G.jpg

Checkmate, science.

I'm a meat eater, but that study is a bunch of absolute biased nonsense.

'In order to get as many calories as a slice of bacon from lettuce...'

You should stop reading right there. Basically no one goes 'well I'm going to stop eating a kilogram of beef a week, and instead eat 6.8 kilograms of broccoli'.

That is a horrible article and has absolutely nothing to do with a varied vegan/vegetarian diet, just so you know.

I caught that.

I'm a meat eater, but that study is a bunch of absolute biased nonsense.

'In order to get as many calories as a slice of bacon from lettuce...'

You should stop reading right there. Basically no one goes 'well I'm going to stop eating a kilogram of beef a week, and instead eat 6.8 kilograms of broccoli'.

This isn't always true. My friend does something this on his Zone diet.

hiro4

And for every scientific piece of evidence there is corresponding evidence to refute it.
There simply isn't enough data for them to extrapolate that this issue in Australia is directly related to human effects.
But as usual someone will say it and the media and other sheep will run with it

Let's say you are right! Just for the fun of it.
Give me a valid argument for not trying to stop it and fight against it.

"Oh I didn't do it, so it is not my problem" mentality is just as worse as refuting evidence and visual proof!

Or do you believe that it isn't happening and it is all a conspiracy?

pr0cs

and what you posted proves how that it is related to man's influence?

What about 200-300 years ago, do we have data on the reefs then? What was the percentage of bleaching a 1000 years ago?

It is convenient to blame it on human intervention. There clearly is not enough data and statistics to be certain of it. I mean, if we had some sort of disaster there then it would be easy to agree with you. Right now, there is only speculation.

Toxi

Banned

What about 200-300 years ago, do we have data on the reefs then? What was the percentage of bleaching a 1000 years ago?

It is convenient to blame it on human intervention. There clearly is not enough data and statistics to be certain of it. I mean, if we had some sort of disaster there then it would be easy to agree with you. Right now, there is only speculation.
Why do you think this is relevant?

The point of that excerpt is that bleaching has repeatedly corresponded to higher ocean temperatures. And since the temperature of the oceans is increasing very quickly, bleaching is happening more.

Sunster

Let's say you are right! Just for the fun of it.
Give me a valid argument for not trying to stop it and fight against it.

"Oh I didn't do it, so it is not my problem" mentality is just as worse as refuting evidence and visual proof!

Or do you believe that it isn't happening and it is all a conspiracy?

their argument is that regulations will hurt business' (huge corporations) and economic growth (bonus' of said corporation's ceo's)

pr0cs

Why do you think this is relevant?.

Because if you don't have statistics from the past, enough to see a trend, that making statements about the warming trends are just that.. statements.. with no basis on factual data.

If we had data from hundreds or thousands of years ago we could look at trends and see "well the temperatures of the water moves in cycles and the bleaching is expected" or "never in history has this level of bleaching been seen" and thus make the inference that it is due to our intervention.
I am not against trying to reduce our carbon footprint on the earth, but to make blanket statements "it's due to global warming and man" with no real data to back it up, well that is grandstanding at it's best.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
What a depressing future we're headed into.

It makes me not want to have offspring, because their world is going to be even worse than the one I'll be leaving.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
What a depressing future we're headed into.

It makes me not want to have offspring, because their world is going to be even worse than the one I'll be leaving.

Same here. I do want kids but I am also aware that we're fucked in approximately 50 years.

I am not against trying to reduce our carbon footprint on the earth, but to make blanket statements "it's due to global warming and man" with no real data to back it up, well that is grandstanding at it's best.

"No real data". Dude.

Toxi

Banned
Because if you don't have statistics from the past, enough to see a trend, that making statements about the warming trends are just that.. statements.. with no basis on factual data.

If we had data from hundreds or thousands of years ago we could look at trends and see "well the temperatures of the water moves in cycles and the bleaching is expected" or "never in history has this level of bleaching been seen" and thus make the inference that it is due to our intervention.
200-300 years ago the world was cooler than average.

And yes, we have seen more bleaching than this... During the Paleo-Eocene Thermal Maximum 55 million years ago, which was caused by a massive amount of carbon being released.

Jonm1010

Banned

Seriously bro, just stop.

Even your logic doesnt make sense, setting aside your bullshit grasp of what data we have and don't for a minute, do you even understand how coral reefs work? How bleaching events work?

We don't need 1000's of years of data to know that rises in ocean temperatures cause bleaching events. We don't need 1000's of years of data to investigate if any other causes of bleaching events may be the major culprit. We don't need 1000's of years of data to know the basic science of how the greenhouse effect works or that the ocean absorbs certain gasses that can raise its temperature which, again, is a major cause of bleaching events in coral.

Hell, even the douchebag in your video admits to the science of the latter point. He's just an opportunistic contrarian going against the grain for money.

cameron

Did you arrive at this conclusion all on your own? Those are standard talking points by climate change deniers. Verbatim.

200-300 years ago the world was cooler than average.

And yes, we have seen more bleaching than this... During the Paleo-Eocene Thermal Maximum 55 million years ago, which was caused by a massive amount of carbon being released.

"How do you know? Were you there?"

Tigress

By the time it comes to such an obvious disaster that even the deniers can't deny it, it will be far far too late. Already there is some evidence that it already is too late.

Jonm1010

Banned
Did you arrive at this conclusion all on your own? Those are standard talking points by climate change deniers. Verbatim.

He got me wondering if he was the guy I was arguing last Climate Change thread I was in(he wasnt, but he was there)

Seems this has been his go to argument for several threads now:

Climate change over the last 50 years, perhaps and I'm sure it could be proven.
Over the last 5000 years? Seems difficult to make a call either way.

Do we know what the weather trends were 1000 or 10000 years ago?

In spite of people in each one very nicely answering a question that a quick google search could of answered. So like I suspected earlier, willful ignorance. Though it is interesting he wants to play the role of learned expert when a couple months ago he didn't even know basic science underlying the issue....But now he's got it all figured out and an energy schill at his disposal to tell you all about it. Which I guess makes sense because he works for the industry and apparently has a vested interest in not addressing climate change:

Yes don't confuse people who don't know squat about the industry they talk about and one who actually works and lives in this place.
Generalizations abound.
Can only hope it gets cancelled[Kyoto]. There is no way it can work without devastating entire industries. Like a lot of things Canada signs on with these 'great ideas' without thinking things through.

- gun control registration
- kyoto
- etc

So yeah, willful ignorance and greed.

Sunster

By the time it comes to such an obvious disaster that even the deniers can't deny it, it will be far far too late. Already there is some evidence that it already is too late.

they will still deny that humans caused it until the end of days. protect the blessed job creators at all costs.

kingslunk

I luckily took a trip to Australia last year and got to scuba dive the outer reef. So glad I got to see when I did.

Such an unfortunate thing to be happening to such an amazing breath taking piece of earth.

Shredderi

I feel like the people who are in their twenties right now and their children had a bad luck in being born just in time to witness a real fucking bleak future. Would have been perfect to be born in like the 60's or something. When the shit finally hits the fan I would be pretty much dead anyway of old age after living a nice life. God damnit.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I recently returned to coral reefs in Indonesia I snorkeled at as a kid and I was horrified to find the once vibrant coral was all dead.

I feel like the people who are in their twenties right now and their children had a bad luck in being born just in time to witness a real fucking bleak future. Would have been perfect to be born in like the 60's or something. When the shit finally hits the fan I would be pretty much dead anyway of old age after living a nice life. God damnit.

Na, I'm in my early 20's and I see good and bad things about the future. I think people are too pessimistic about environmental issues and our inability to deal with them. COP 21 is just the start, renewable energy only gets cheaper and world wide policy will only ramp up as time goes on. In a decade from now EV's are going to be as cheap as a normal 18 grand car, renewables are already overtaking fossil fuels in new global capacity for two years in a row, I doubt this is going to change going forward.

The future is going to be different, no fact about it, but just because it's going to be different doesn't mean that we can't adapt and live comfortable lives.

Famassu

Dear Beelzebub you are so fucking clueless. -_-; We can be almost certain that man has quite significant effects on climate because NOTHING ELSE EXPLAINS IT. These scientists whose work you so easily dismiss as "not real results" have spend DECADES trying to find alternative explanations but NOTHING explains it as well as the increase in greenhouse gases does and that is mainly driven by supermassive human-caused emissions. It's not the sun. Our position to the sun has not changed so drastically that we'd be going through this kind of climate change. Sun itself isn't suddenly more active. Nothing else is currently producing so much greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that exceeds human influence. Continents haven't suddenly moved so much that it would have large scale effects of this scope & pace. There's simply nothing that explains it like the human-caused increase in greenhouse gases does.

As to how these things are figured out, here's just one of the methods that we can use to get quite the accurate picture of several things related to climate/atmosphere that can range back hundreds of thousands of years:

http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/glaciers-and-climate/ice-cores/ice-core-basics/

Others can be used to make estimates of the climate & reasons in its change in the (tens, hundreds, thousands) of millions of years. Though they can't be used to date things by the second, we can still date them well enough to get an educated picture of how the atmosphere, climate & such have changed since the formation of Earth and figure out the reasons and see that an increase in greenhouse gases has lead to a warming climate many times in the history of Earth. Not always, because other reasons can affect climate strongly too (i.e. continents moving in the long term, some super volcanoes erupting, a meteorite, sun's activity etc.), but often enough to see a repeating pattern. And when it hasn't correlated with the climate warming, we can figure out reasons that have prevented it from happening.

I mean, sure, scientists have conclusively proven that CO2 traps heat, and sure, we have been releasing large amounts of this in the last century and the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has been increasing dramatically over the same time period, and sure loads of the things that scientists predicted would happen as a result of this 20 years ago have come to pass...

but there's no real data.

Global warming is happening. Factually. Warmer seas bleach coral. If you want to debate whether we're causing it or not, I'd love to know how you could argue that we aren't at the very least contributing to it. We produce huge amounts of CO2. It goes into the atmosphere. CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat...

Darren870

It's funny when you go to a place, have such fond memories of it, see it and truly appreciate the world and nature around you.

Then you go back 5-10 years later and all the animals that were once there are now gone. The place is littered with garbage, people not giving two shits of the destruction around them, trees cut down, buildings put in, and just nothing that you once remembered exists anymore.

Then you have someone say we aren't destructive. Or this is the way things should be.

Some people need to get out a bit more and see things. See how things have changed and how our actions have consequences.

Not just talking about the reef either.

Lime

It's funny when you go to a place, have such fond memories of it, see it and truly appreciate the world and nature around you.

Then you go back 5-10 years later and all the animals that were once there are now gone. The place is littered with garbage, people not giving two shits of the destruction around them, trees cut down, buildings put in, and just nothing that you once remembered exists anymore.

Then you have someone say we aren't destructive. Or this is the way things should be.

Some people need to get out a bit more and see things. See how things have changed and how our actions have consequences.

Again, maybe Zizek is right, we are our garbage, destruction and consumption and we should embrace it rather than ignore it

You're talking about a Government that wanted to destroy a big portion of the reef to making coal shipping a bit quicker and easier

They don't give a fuck

This
They are dinosaurs and plan to drag us all to hell
Listen to them on the news: growth jobs growth growth
It's all about growth.

They flew 1000 captains of industry and politicians to China last week to grovel there in order to make sure they could stay on the teat and keep digging out coal and sending them gas and other resources that go into the plastic crap chain of the world.

The previously loud Australian contingent of embarrassing global warming deniers has gone a bit quiet but only because they are off recalculating their personal net worth not because they plan apologies and to work for good or anything.

If you personally know a "man can't possibly effect the enormous infinite world" idiot, it's time to call them out and stop being friendly and trying to talk to them. We are all stuffed in a tiny and fragile globe and they are busy smashing up the life support system and the backup to the life support system too.

The opposite is equally true though. When my parents were kids/young adults the local major river was so polluted that being anywhere near it made you smell death, animals simply left. Thirty years later and my parents are seeing things creatures that they thought they wouldn't see again because we cleaned our shit up and a lot of nature is coming back. Seeing eagles come back every year for nesting isn't something that happened 20 years ago.

FStop7

Banned
Really can't believe how short-sighted some of the things I read in this thread are.

It's like people are saying "Oh the outside walls of my house are on fire? Who cares, there's no fire in my bedroom."

Griss

This thread has inspired me to go snorkeling this weekend to see how our reef is holding up. As far as I know we (northern caribbean) have been largely unaffected so far, but maybe we're just operating on a 'new normal' after a lot of bleaching occurred back in 2005. (iirc)

The reef when I grew up was spectacular.

Well, Australia is contributing to this, as the OP states. Tragic.

Not really, Australia has a high emissions to GDP, but total emissions is really small.

The issue is the government doesn't give a shit and is banking on coal having a major comeback (hint coal isn't gonna be what everyone thought it was six years ago)

Cerity

Except we can get and do have data from 200-300 years as well as 1000+ years ago. Coral coring is exactly that, we can even cross-reference this data with tree and glacier cores to get a pretty clear picture of what was going on at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom