• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Beta shots!

All here, baby!!

Here's a few...

post-1-10901045590.jpg

post-1-10901046782.jpg

post-1-10901045591.jpg

As border pointed out in that thread, looks liek this idiot is going to get OWN3D for not blurring out the serial number!

Sai

Saved Films... SAVED FILMS!!! :D :D

HalfPastNoon said:
That plasma sword.
That's the second one, man.

It looks like the M6D Pistol in the third one, but... It's possible that it's an SMG. It's hard to tell because of the lighting and the quality of that image.

Sai said:
Saved Films... SAVED FILMS!!! :D :D

That's the second one, man.

It looks like the M6D Pistol in the third one, but... It's possible that it's an SMG. It's hard to tell because of the lighting and the quality of that image.

The third picture in this thread, not the OA one. ;) The second picture here is just a shot of the setup screen.

wow, the guy who took the pictures will get serious trouble with MS for breaking NDA.

Omg you can even see his serial number, lol

GhaleonEB

Looks like the pistol is indeed back. The new HUD is interesting, with the shield and health down below, and seperate. I'm glad they kept the health meter - Bungie was considering tossing it. (of course, they may yet....)

Sai

Er, that's not the Pistol, guys, it's the SMG. If you examine the 4th image, you'll see that it has the same reticle as the SMG.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
Er, that's not the Pistol, guys, it's the SMG. If you examine the 4th image, you'll see that it has the same reticle as the SMG.

True. I had this whole rational about how it looks like the gun is recoiling from fire because it's pointing up while the recticle is in front, then I noticed A) The ammo shows about 60 rounds on it and B) it's empty, so he's reloading.

You're right, dammit. But hey, you only got part of the reason, so I get to be right too - right? :p

WTF was this idiot thinking? That person is about to be bitch slapped by some M$ lawyers. If I were that person I would be on the first flight out of the country.

Cubsfan23

Banned
I've always wondered why NDA's aren't broken more often, especially on the internet. Who knows, could be a publicity stunt by a high-level MS employee.

For what its worth about the Saved Films, that menu option directly mirrors similar ones found in Myth I/II and is similar to the one in Marathon (Replay Saved Film)... and since in one of the updates Bungie was touting the return of a feature not seen in their last few games (Oni and Halo)... this would seem to be all but confirmation that there will be saved replays. Woo.

It also looks like there are timed Slayer matches... and probably other types of matches... a good improvement over Halo on the Xbox... I think that the PC version already had timed matches.

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like the pistol is indeed back. The new HUD is interesting, with the shield and health down below, and seperate. I'm glad they kept the health meter - Bungie was considering tossing it. (of course, they may yet....)

I think the shield is on the far left above the radar... the bottom right looks to be all game information... possibly kills vs. deaths shown in graphical form... or team vs. team rankings...

Edit: Speaking of which... can anyone figure out what gametype is being played on the second shot of this screen. It is the only one of the batch which is not Slayer... I'm thinking "Swords" which I guess would mean the name of the gametype is displayed not just the kind of game which is being played. Or not... just conjecture and imagination...

Joe

im thinking the meter in the lower-left has something to do with proximity voice because it is near the radar but im not sure if that was even in the beta?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
looks like the health is beside the radar.

ammo is now top right, grenades top left.... multiplay info bottom right

GhaleonEB

dorio said:
Are the pics still up?

nevermind I see them. Not really much more than we've seen from the e3 demo.

Yup. This guy violated a NDA from Microsoft for crying out loud, and all he can come up with is some screens featuring stuff we've already seen? (Okay, seeing the new HUD is nice.)

Idiot.

Am I the only one who finds these pics a little boring, I mean from the terrible blurry quality of the screens it basically looks like Halo 1 with a new HUD. I mean, if you are going to break an NDA then you might as well find a way to get decent captures

While the quality of the pics are crap there is quite a bit of new stuff you can pull from it... sort of like one of the weekly updates...

dorio

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. This guy violated a NDA from Microsoft for crying out loud, and all he can come up with is some screens featuring stuff we've already seen? (Okay, seeing the new HUD is nice.)

Idiot.
Exactly, he could have took a pic of a never before seen vehicle or weapon.

GhaleonEB

dorio said:
Exactly, he could have took a pic of a never before seen vehicle or weapon.

Part of me is glad there was nothing new besides the new HUD. It keeps with the legitimate Bungie updates so far. At least we saw the new HUD, though we don't know what some of it means.

And yeah, if you are going to break an NDA he should have A) gone for broke and B) covered up his gamertag in ALL of the screens - he missed one, guaranteeing a visit from Bill's minions.

Sai

From the IGN Boards:

Here is what TheOtherGod posted over @ the ign boards...

"Oh, ok, well, if any of this is against the board rules, feel free to edit this post, or ban me, or whatever, but here goes:

- There are Halo 2 beta discs all over the place. I'm really surprised there haven't been more beta pics posted on the net. My guess is that there are a ton, just not on the regular legal sites, but that if you did a little work looking around the (not recommended to visit) illegal sites, that you'd find a bunch.

- The guy I knew said he had a hard time burning a copy of the disc, and said it couldn't happen, but he doesn't really know too much about computers, etc. So who knows.

Now, about playing the actual game:

- He says that vehicle damage is really annoying, and definately takes away from the game. If you manage to get a vehicle to a base, there's no way it's still gonna be there for you to escape on. Often times the warthog is just used for kamikazees becuase the driver knows its just gonna blow up anyway.

- Says that vehicle hijacking can get really annoying, but in the end it doesn't matter because the vehicles gonna blow up real soon if its around enemies anyway.

- Also says that dual weilding is a must. No one online uses the one gun and a grenade option, ever, because its just nowhere near as powerful or useful.

- Jumping is very floaty, considerably higher, and much faster. All the news sources have touched on this, but he says that it completely changes the game. So much so that in the situation of one player firing a rocket at another players feet, the first player can easily jump up and out of harm.

He's a huuuuge Halo fan, but is kind of dissapointed with the beta (although is still definately having fun with it). Of course, all of the things I mentioned above are things that could easily be changed before the final release though. What I hope is that there will be options to switch each feature between Halo 1 and Halo 2 type settings (for example, when setting up a multiplayer game you can choose the jump settings: 1 or 2, meaning not so floaty or floaty, and same with vehicle damage, etc). "
Only things that have me worried at this point are vehicle damage and dual weilding...

Sai said:
He says that vehicle damage is really annoying, and definately takes away from the game. If you manage to get a vehicle to a base, there's no way it's still gonna be there for you to escape on. Often times the warthog is just used for kamikazees becuase the driver knows its just gonna blow up anyway.

Now THAT worries me...This problem never occured to me. Bungie is going to have to really balance things to make this not a problem. If they did, all hail Bungie.

Teddman

I can say from playing the E3 demo that dual-wielding the sub-machine guns packs some serious firepower. It was my setup of choice throughout the game; direct hits with two full clips can drain an opponent's shield to death in under three seconds.

I didn't bother with grenades much either.

Since vehicle damage has been announced I've sort of been hoping for an option to turn it on and off when you set up a gametype.

Hmmmm, I'm not liking the sound of the vehicle damage altering the gameplay that much. Sidewinder was my favorite map in the original for CTF and it was very difficult to bring a flag back to your base without a vehicle. I really hope they do something about this.

siamesedreamer said:
Hmmmm, I'm not liking the sound of the vehicle damage altering the gameplay that much. Sidewinder was my favorite map in the original for CTF and it was very difficult to bring a flag back to your base without a vehicle. I really hope they do something about this.

Maybe they should do BETA TESTING?

GhaleonEB

The latest Bungie update said they came away with a ton of changes they need to make to weapons balancing and physics. If the game is half as balanced as the first, then I'm going to be very happy.

I think all they need to do for the vehicles is make them take more damage. In the first game, a Ghost would take several clips from any weapon but the shotgun and rocket launcher to take down. In the E3 2004 demo, a Ghost was destroyed after taking half a clip from the battle rifle. If it can take more damage, then I think it will balance out just fine.

Top Bottom