• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Forge |OT| Crafting a better tomorrow; one Brace, Large at a time

Initial Ordnance works initially in the same way, lol. Then you need Random Ordnance to repopulate the map with weapons.

Actually you can get Initial Ordnance drops to work almost exactly the same way as regular weapon spawns. The only real thing you don't have control over is the number of clips in a weapon. Even though it says Initial Ordnance it is actually more like Static Ordnance.

Karl2177

WkFgQl.png

Larger image

Maybe I'll hire out Fyrewulff to do this or something.

nillapuddin

Ughhh. Why do they make these things for a half of a unit tall? I swear they don't understand what Forge has become and they're just making Lego blocks for the fun of it.

I designed something in SketchUp over about 20 minutes. Haven't added any cover aside from a tower-to-tower LoS blocker. Dunno if I want to try and make this with Forge or just let it sit in my folder until a competent map editor becomes available...

qsRogl.png

Link to larger image.

First of all, from the way you worded it, I couldnt tell what you were asking because you didnt really name any specific piece, I thought you were talking about the Ramp Bridges

I dont see any on your map so Im still not sure

Secondly, Half Units are very useful, and I dont know how you can say forge is less than "competent"

Why dont you try actually building that in forge so you can use the pieces we are given, when you build things in sketchup (imo) you lose the feel for what it will actually look like

I see a few areas I dont know how you plan to achieve in forge, such as those filled in corners and paper thin walk ways

I bet you could make that in forge in the same amount of time than in sketchup
and get a much better feel for what your trying to accomplish

Actually you can get Initial Ordnance drops to work almost exactly the same way as regular weapon spawns. The only real thing you don't have control over is the number of clips in a weapon. Even though it says Initial Ordnance it is actually more like Static Ordnance.

Oh, really? When will Initial Ordnance respawn? Set intervals? Relative to pickup?

IHaveIce

Banned
Thanks to Nilla again. Awesome maps, really looking forward to other future maps, Forge can do amazing stuff in this game

If anyone's bored tonight, I'm simply trying to mirror the other half of my Avalanche-remake now and I could use some help. I cannot offer payment, but banter in Party Chat is included.

Any input on the design would also be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to adding in spawns, weapons, vehicles and objectives so we can start testing this thing, finally. If the map works, it'll be great on Dominion, too.

Karl2177

First of all, from the way you worded it, I couldnt tell what you were asking because you didnt really name any specific piece, I thought you were talking about the Ramp Bridges

I dont see any on your map so Im still not sure

Secondly, Half Units are very useful, and I dont know how you can say forge is less than "competent"

Why dont you try actually building that in forge so you can use the pieces we are given, when you build things in sketchup (imo) you lose the feel for what it will actually look like

I see a few areas I dont know how you plan to achieve in forge, such as those filled in corners and paper thin walk ways

I bet you could make that in forge in the same amount of time than in sketchup
and get a much better feel for what your trying to accomplish

I did say Ramp Bridges, it was for another map(that sadly can't be done since Halo 3 Forge due to some of the garbage constraints they put on Forge in Reach). There aren't any Ramp Bridges on this map that I just made. Half units are good when it is just a half. 1.5 doesn't help worth a shit when the ramp I want is 1 unit tall with railings.

To call Forge competent is laughable. It's Legos. I whipped up a map in SketchUp in about 30-ish minutes. It would take me a little while longer, but I could make decals and add them to SketchUp and it would look better than 99% of Forge's walkway tunnel maps. To make the same in Forge would take hours or would become impossible, because certain objects can't be scaled(thanks Havoc Engine!).

And this line: "when you build things in sketchup (imo) you lose the feel for what it will actually look like" is the epitome of Good Enough™.

To be fair, first and foremost I feel they should be building Legos. They're missing an opportunity by not making Forge even more user friendly. Minecraft is huge for the same reason Halo's Forge COULD be huge: building things is really fun.

Whew, finished the red team's base in Rocksteady, my Avalanche-inspired map on Ravine, so testing's on my mind, too.

I just need to finish its satellite base with the teleporter and it's off to the races on spawns, weapons and objectives. Thanksgiving is unfortunately throwing a wrench into the mix. It's looking beautiful, at any rate. Baking in the lighting always gets me excited, even if it happens every. fucking. time. you transform out of the Monitor. One of the many things I hope they touch on with their first title update.

I wonder how far out that is. December, last I heard?

Fuchsdh

Whew, finished the red team's base in Rocksteady, my Avalanche-inspired map on Ravine, so testing's on my mind, too.

I just need to finish its satellite base with the teleporter and it's off to the races on spawns, weapons and objectives. Thanksgiving is unfortunately throwing a wrench into the mix. It's looking beautiful, at any rate. Baking in the lighting always gets me excited, even if it happens every. fucking. time. you transform out of the Monitor. One of the many things I hope they touch on with their first title update.

I wonder how far out that is. December, last I heard?

Would make sense to assume a TU when the map packs fall, so as early as December I guess.

Halo 4 already has wonderful original maps...but the fact that none of the 3 Forge template maps have been implemented into matchmaking is very exciting. Seeing how most of Reach playlists is all Forge World, it's refreshing knowing that there is so much potential for the future of Halo 4's map variety and quality.

Good luck to all you master forgers on Gaf! Make us proud!

nillapuddin

I can still see what you originally wrote... This is Forge Discussion, not just suck off other people for their maps.

-----

Why not have a map creation mode like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGl5sKxjryE&feature=player_embedded

And then have an object placement tool like Forge was intended to be?

im not sucking off anyone for their maps
I am infact a quite busy map maker myself and very satisfied with the tools

I dont care if you can see what I wrote, because I meant it

some people just like to complain about things on the internet because it makes them feel good

so go on, just like HaloGAF, let the "salt" flow through you

Im not interested in fueling negativity so I highly doubt you will be hearing from me again, enjoy far cry 3

Raide

I can still see what you originally wrote... This is Forge Discussion, not just suck off other people for their maps.

-----

Why not have a map creation mode like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGl5sKxjryE&feature=player_embedded

And then have an object placement tool like Forge was intended to be?

I would love the terrain stuff but Halo is heading more and more towards 4v4 stuff and not the massive BTB stuff. All that terrain would be wasted.

A combo of the terrain and foliage tools + the Forge stuff with Major tweaks would be ideal. Added features like advanced shadows/lighting, weather effects and being able to add things like moving objects like lifts, buttons etc.

I would love the terrain stuff but Halo is heading more and more towards 4v4 stuff and not the massive BTB stuff. All that terrain would be wasted.

A combo of the terrain and foliage tools + the Forge stuff with Major tweaks would be ideal. Added features like advanced shadows/lighting, weather effects and being able to add things like moving objects like lifts, buttons etc.

Have you seen the playlists lately? Or the maps on disc? :p

Raide

Have you seen the playlists lately? Or the maps on disc? :p

Some of the BTB maps are big but the Farcry editor seems to favour massively huge maps to make use of the terrain. Sorry, I should have put in a bit more detail. :D I still have dreams for a Halo + Battlefield mode where we can have 32 v 32 made up of classes and ranking up to be Spartans/Elites. I know everyone wants to play as Grunt First Class!

I am slowly getting used to Halo4orge but its certainly not the jump I really wanted. It has some nice additions but still feels disjointed and not really made by people who have spent enough time with Forge to figure out its issues etc.

I took some offscreen shots of my new map, Corvus. I noticed there were no 4v4 warthog maps in Halo 4 so I decided to take a bit of inspiration from Valhalla and Standoff to start this one off.

You can find this map, set for Slayer, CTF, and KotH, on my fileshare. XBL: Spiteful Crow.
I'd be incredibly grateful for anybody that downloads the map and either plays on it or gives comments on it.

Corvus said:

Loginius

Talk about unrealistic expectations, halo has not and will probably never have a terrain editor like FarCry and even a option to resize or mirror forge-pieces is asking for a lot with the way the game handles its geometry.

That some people can have such a good feel for mapdesign and forging while having absolutely no knowledge about how the games engine works is quite surprising.

What isnt unrealistic however is to expect a pallete/pices that work well together and are not plagued by bad texture work etc. and tools to support easy, precise and efficient building.

I feel like I already wrote this a few times.

Computron

^um, well....

...never-mind. I could spend all day...

--------

Instead, I will post some 1080p pics of my Halo 2 Foundation remake fresh from the theater mode.

The maps is called Groundwork and I would like some help setting up spawns/weapons/gametypes, (I haven't bothered to brush off the old manual) and I still need to flesh out the corner rooms a bit.

If your interested, catch me anytime I am online on my GamerTag: Vlad356

FyreWulff

Talk about unrealistic expectations, halo has not and will probably never have a terrain editor like FarCry and even a option to resize or mirror forge-pieces is asking for a lot with the way the game handles its geometry.

That some people can have such a good feel for mapdesign and forging while having absolutely no knowledge about how the games engine works is quite surprising.

What isnt unrealistic however is to expect a pallete/pices that work well together and are not plagued by bad texture work etc. and tools to support easy, precise and efficient building.

I feel like I already wrote this a few times.

There's nothing that precludes the Halo engine from using heightmapped ground.

Also I'm sorry Computron. Every time I tried to join your game I just ended up stuck in black screen.

Computron

The Halo 2 Foundation remake I am making is now set up with preliminary spawns/weapons/gametype-objects.
The corner bases still need to be made pretty, but that will come later.

It is now playable.

• It's located in my Fileshare (GamerTag: Vlad356)
  • It's name is Groundwork (Foundation) V.01
  • Test it out
  • Report bugs/issues/hangups/framerate
  • Make suggestions
  • Have fun

To access without Waypoint (Which is currently down), search for my gamertag in the file browser search in your start menu.

Click and hold image to expand up to 1080p:

irCPvTYiTdbRc.jpg
ixnqRsRiCB7Ds.jpg

ibg0O9N7JmYy4x.jpg
ibehK118aTclJt.jpg

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
^um, well....

...never-mind. I could spend all day...

--------

Instead, I will post some 1080p pics of my Halo 2 Foundation remake fresh from the theater mode.

The maps is called Groundwork and I would like some help setting up spawns/weapons/gametypes, (I haven't bothered to brush off the old manual) and I still need to flesh out the corner rooms a bit.

If your interested, catch me anytime I am online on my GamerTag: Vlad356

Looks ok.

Few points, using upside down bridges isn't a great idea since they have rises on either side that effects smoothness.

Seems to be a few gaps in the geometry which can be annoying when grenades disappear through them.

Izayoi

Banned
What was the reasoning behind the removal of a Forgeworld-esque map? Everything is so cramped, there's nowhere to go and nothing to build off of. What a huge disappointment.

Loginius

There's nothing that precludes the Halo engine from using heightmapped ground.
Yeah, just the 1000 Problems that come with hightmapps and the way the game handles physic, textures and collision.

Of course its not impossible but its just not how the engine is supposed to work and they sure as shit probably wont integrate that for forge alone.

FarCry (and Crysis1) use hightmaps because its a tool that CryEngine is known for and the developers themself use/used it a lot to build their lvls/maps.
There is a night and day difference between having a engine centered around a tool and making it possible for the community to use or forcing a feature in a engine that wasnt supposed to handle it because forge would profit from it.

Not saying it wouldnt be nice, just saying its unrealistic to expect it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, with the new oddball mechanic, would it be possible to create a basketball-like game type in which you need to carry, or pass, the ball to the enemies side and toss it through a hoop to score?

iirc, there used to be a similar mode in an old unreal game that was quite a bit of fun.

NOKYARD

so, with the new oddball mechanic, would it be possible to create a basketball-like game type in which you need to carry, or pass, the ball to the enemies side and toss it through a hoop to score?

iirc, there used to be a similar mode in an old unreal game that was quite a bit of fun.
I am sure Fyre could explain it better but in Halo objectives (flag bomb ball) and goals (flag stand, capture plate, hill marker) do not interact (collide). The holding the objective changes the player class to flag carrier or ball holder. The player entering the goal marker causes the collision which scores the point.

Speaking of hill markers. You can now activate neutral Hill Markers in some other game variants and use the hill animation as decoration. You can even use it for lettering. Right now i am using it to add field lines to a Grifball court, and to add a contrasting background to a very dark area of a map. You can raise the level of brightness moving the marker away from the wall.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I am sure Fyre could explain it better but in Halo objectives (flag bomb ball) and goals (flag stand, capture plate, hill marker) do not interact (collide). The holding the objective changes the player class to flag carrier or ball holder. The player entering the goal marker causes the collision which scores the point.

Speaking of hill markers. You can now activate neutral Hill Markers in some other game variants and use the hill animation as decoration. You can even use it for lettering. Right now i am using it to add field lines to a Grifball court, and to add a contrasting background to a very dark area of a map. You can raise the level of brightness moving the marker away from the wall.

so the ball holder would have to go to the goal to score? could still be a really awesome gametype, even of shipping symmetrical maps

Raide

Some of these forge maps look beautiful, really want them in matchmaking!

There are some nice tricks Forgers can use to help them make some pretty maps. Hopefully some more advanced stuff will appear over the coming weeks but at least the majority of good maps that appear are not bland grey. :D

So who is up for some ForgeGAF customs this weekend? I've been kinda absent from the Halo scene for almost a week. Now that some time has past, I won't be the only one with something to test. lol... :p

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What was the reasoning behind the removal of a Forgeworld-esque map? Everything is so cramped, there's nowhere to go and nothing to build off of. What a huge disappointment.

The size of Forgeworld contributed to the frame rate problems Forge maps had in Halo Reach.

So who is up for some ForgeGAF customs this weekend? I've been kinda absent from the Halo scene for almost a week. Now that some time has past, I won't be the only one with something to test. lol... :p

Yup. I'll be looking to run them at the scheduled time Sunday, hopefully people are around :) Also I'd be happy to join in some customs tomorrow (Friday) at any time. Anybody else interested?

Top Bottom