• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

The more I play online the more I see the DMR being the best weapon in all situations, that thing really needs something tweaked to bring it down a notch.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really like the game so far, one thing aside. Playing this it really feels like they nailed the interface in Reach. All the in-match medal pop ups, post game stats, daily challenge and the armor customization menu all looked much better in Reach. Maybe I'm just not used to the new medals, but in Reach I always instantly saw what medal I earned. Now the icons seem to pop up too fast and I hate how you have to dig in the menu to find out which ones you got post match.

WJD

The more I play online the more I see the DMR being the best weapon in all situations, that thing really needs something tweaked to bring it down a notch.

Yup. Give it a month and everybody will be rocking the exact same primary weapon and the exact same perks.

dalVlatko

How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

If you spent a lot of time dual wielding in Halo 2, you were doing it wrong. Halo 2 multiplayer had the best maps and the best gameplay of the series. SMG starts were pretty bad, but eventually it was BR starts for most playlists I played.

Even the parts that were broken were great (BXR, BXB). There were communities that were dedicated to finding new glitches like super bounces and getting outside of maps. I think everyone I knew had a glitches custom game type with overshields and rockets/sword start.

This is probably just nostalgia, but I feel that even though there were more tools for custom games in Halo 3, I still had more fun in the simple custom games of Halo 2 that were based on honor rules. Tower of power, zombies, troy, cat and mouse, hide and seek, and all the other silly ones.

Finished on Heroic last night. Thoughts:

+ Game looks and runs great.
+ Voice acting is quite good.
+ Soundtrack is excellent.
+ Nice interaction between characters.
+ Nice art design overall.
- Engagements are smaller in scale. I suspect this is due to technical limitations.
- AI seems weaker than Halo: Reach. No flanking enemies or other interesting group maneuvers, but you definitely have enemies who go for cover. Despite shortcomings on this end, engagements are still entertaining.
- Low enemy variation.

Story thoughts:
I thought the story was told rather well. The only gripe I have is that the entire exchange with the Librarian felt rushed. I wish she went into the Forerunner-Human conflict with more detail. Everything feels like a prologue to future events if you exclude the relationship between the Master Chief and Cortana. This is, of course, acceptable for the first entry in a trilogy. I do, however, hope that there's a little more drive and focus in the next entries as far as setting and supporting characters are concerned. Also, I hope the Arbiter makes an appearance in this new trilogy at some point.

As far as campaign quality is concerned, this is how I rank the games: Halo 1 > Halo: Reach > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2

RotBot

I am so sick of playing Complex in Slayer pubs. Every time that map shows up, it gets voted, and then everybody proceeds to camp with the DMR. The round almost always ends on the time limit instead of hitting the score limit.

Victrix

*beard*
I am so sick of playing Complex in Slayer pubs. Every time that map shows up, it gets voted, and then everybody proceeds to camp with the DMR. The round almost always ends on the time limit instead of hitting the score limit.

Only map that's had an immediate 'I don't like the feel of this' vibe.

Too little cover between buildings, too many long lines of sight, too much distance between furthest points for a largely non vehicular map.

JimiNutz

Banned
On paper the light rifle should be the best weapon (best of both BR and DMR) but I really can't use it.

Going from DMR to Light Rifle just feels really strange to me and I cant seem to land shots with it like the DMR.

GavinGT

Banned

I'm sick of Haven myself, but I'm getting there with Complex. That one rooftop.....

RotBot

just remember that your gun is just as accurate while zoomed out as it is zoomed in. You should only be zooming in when the target is really far.

I've pretty much stopped using zoom because of this. Halo doesn't reduce your look sensitivity when zoomed like most other games, so it doesn't help steady your aim at all.

I've pretty much stopped using zoom because of this. Halo doesn't reduce your look sensitivity when zoomed like most other games, so it doesn't help steady your aim at all.

I dont know, I sort of like it like that. You can do a fast twist reaction if you need to as a last resort, or you can slowly move the reticle by only pressing 1/4 of the way down

Sean

Banned
How is it possible people believe Halo 2's multi was the best of the franchise? Big fans of circle strafing while duel wielding? Because that's all I remember from that game myself.

Halo 2 had by far the best maps in the series. Out of the ~25 maps (counting DLC), I can only think of maybe one or two stinkers like Colossus and Burial Mounds. There was awesome massive maps for Big Team Battle like Containment and excellent tiny maps like Midship.

I think Halo 2 had the most "creative" maps of the series too, lots of small touches that may seem insignificant but add to the strategy in objective games. Like the breakable glass near the flag/bomb spot on Headlong, being able to use the wraith to move large boxes in front of the base entrance(s) on Waterworks, the two way teleporter on Relic, the gate control on Zanzibar (and destructible pillars inside the base), the speeding train on Terminal, etc.

haikira

Seems my router has a well known bug, were if a port is ever opened for a protocol it can never be assigned to anything again, even if everything is cleared. It just gets stuck. The only known fix i could find, is people saying you can save a backup of the router when you first get it and revert back to that save, when you need to clear it. Not very handy, considering i don't have a bloody time machine.

With UPNP enabled and using a lan cable, still can't get open NAT.

FML

LowParry

The more I play the MP, the more I'm not liking it. Given that I haven't played MP Halo since 3, I dunno. Something seems off about it right now. I must have ice cold COD veins right now. :/

I really wish there was a control scheme that allowed Recon with sprint on LB and AA on X.

There really should just be a custom button config. It's not 1998 anymore. Any hope of this ever getting patched?

wwm0nkey

∀ Narayan;44125353 said:
Finished on Heroic last night. Thoughts:

+ Game looks and runs great.
+ Voice acting is quite good.
+ Soundtrack is excellent.
+ Nice interaction between characters.
+ Nice art design overall.
- Engagements are smaller in scale. I suspect this is due to technical limitations.
- AI seems weaker than Halo: Reach. No flanking enemies or other interesting group maneuvers, but you definitely have enemies who go for cover. Despite shortcomings on this end, engagements are still entertaining.
- Low enemy variation.

Story thoughts:
I thought the story was told rather well. The only gripe I have is that the entire exchange with the Librarian felt rushed. I wish she went into the Forerunner-Human conflict with more detail. Everything feels like a prologue to future events if you exclude the relationship between the Master Chief and Cortana. This is, of course, acceptable for the first entry in a trilogy. I do, however, hope that there's a little more drive and focus in the next entries as far as setting and supporting characters are concerned. Also, I hope the Arbiter makes an appearance in this new trilogy at some point.

As far as campaign quality is concerned, this is how I rank the games: Halo 1 > Halo: Reach > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2
The terminals will address your concern.

Xamdou

Did anyone preorder the .35 cent halo 4 armor codes plus free $5 vudu credit from Walmart.com and receive them yet?

Halo 2 had by far the best maps in the series. Out of the ~25 maps (counting DLC), I can only think of maybe one or two stinkers like Colossus and Burial Mounds. There was awesome massive maps for Big Team Battle like Containment and excellent tiny maps like Midship.

I think Halo 2 had the most "creative" maps of the series too, lots of small touches that may seem insignificant but add to the strategy in objective games. Like the breakable glass near the flag/bomb spot on Headlong, being able to use the wraith to move large boxes in front of the base entrance(s) on Waterworks, the two way teleporter on Relic, the gate control on Zanzibar (and destructible pillars inside the base), the speeding train
on Terminal, etc.

Yup 2 was definitely the best in my opinion. Everything was just better. Maps, gameplay and customs... and tbh the glitches made it EVEN better. loved bxb and bxr and even superbouncing. It added a much needed depth to the sandbox.

I still like the assault rifle, a lot of players are still garbage close quarters. DMR and BR are pretty much the same gun, get rid of one.

I think everyone has fond memories for Halo2 because it was the first game that had native support for online multiplayer. Which meant everyone played it a ton, got good at it, and sees any change to that formula as a negative.

Striker

I think Halo 2 had the most "creative" maps of the series too, lots of small touches that may seem insignificant but add to the strategy in objective games. Like the breakable glass near the flag/bomb spot on Headlong, being able to use the wraith to move large boxes in front of the base entrance(s) on Waterworks, the two way teleporter on Relic, the gate control on Zanzibar (and destructible pillars inside the base), the speeding train on Terminal, etc.
The two stinkers were Backwash and Gemini. Colossus 2 flag and Burial Mounds 1-bomb were great for Team Skirmish.

Agree about the maps. Tons of great designs for a variety of gametypes and player counts. Like interactive elements, those types of maps have been lacking since. CTF seems to work real well on Adrift and Solace, but others seem pretty meh so far. The BTB playlist needs CTF pretty fast, kind of silly we can't get it on Meltdown or Vortex.

Heroic is harder then i expected, Halo gaf don't call me a pussy for going to normal ok? I beat halo 2 3 ODST and Reach on heroic. But 4 is kicking my ass.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I still like the assault rifle, a lot of players are still garbage close quarters. DMR and BR are pretty much the same gun, get rid of one.

No.

DMR is the only weapon in this game that gets shits done when shit needs to be done. I'm taking fools out across the map without a sniper.

No.

DMR is the only weapon in this game that gets shits done when shit needs to be done. I'm taking fools out across the map without a sniper.

K, seems like most people are opting for dmr over battle rifle. Still doesn't change the fact that they could probably take one out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I find it far easier to hit anything with the BR. It feels like DMR has no magnetism on it at all and it's impossible for me to hit anyone.
I haven't used the BR yet, but I'm finding the DMR to be a headshot machine.

I dunno what it is. I suck at console shooters, but I've had a great KDR in every game so far, and almost every kill has been a DMR kill.

I'm sick of Haven myself, but I'm getting there with Complex. That one rooftop.....
Is easily the most open spot on that map. There are 4 tacticle jumps, 2 walkways, and an opposing building on its flank that are all put in place to counter that position. I've gotten countless triples on people who are unaware of this.

Complex has been my favorite oddball map so far. There is so much verticality and space to keep the ball moving.

There isn't a situation where the BR or carbine outguns you - at range you win, in close quaters you win. Only downside is that you cant use the shielding perk at the same time.

werd, when i opt for the AR load out I always wish the pistol was just a bit better (it still is very fun to use).... DMR would totally solve that.

Top Bottom