• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So multiplayer is basically going to turn into DMR: The Game with guest appearances by other Halo 4 weapons?

Darklord

Banned
I can't play Halo 4 MP anymore. Halo MP is just too boring now and I'm so sick of that announcer after so many years. I'm officially done. I'll keep playing single player though, that's still fun.

Sissel

I dont know, I sort of like it like that. You can do a fast twist reaction if you need to as a last resort, or you can slowly move the reticle by only pressing 1/4 of the way down
its better. That's why that reviewer got slammed when he said Halo should have iron sight aiming like CoD's.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So multiplayer is basically going to turn into DMR: The Game with guest appearances by other Halo 4 weapons?
Pretty much. I mean, that's how I play. DMR and pistol with Spartan laser ordnance for variety.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I actually like the Light Rifle more currently. The fact that it has the three round burst when hip firing, but the single shot when zoomed is the best of both worlds.

This is how Halo 2 and 3 worked. The primary weapon was the BR in nearly every situation. I don't get why people are complaining about everyone using the same primary rifles.

Just because we both have a DMR doesn't mean we are equally skilled with it.

HBroward

I was buying the FOTUS in game armor and emblem from a buddy who backed out at the last minute, if anyone has an unused code they would like to sell, please send me a pm.

Edit: Got one, I appreciate it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is how Halo 2 and 3 worked. The primary weapon was the BR in nearly every situation. I don't get why people are complaining about everyone using the same primary rifles.

Just because we both have a DMR doesn't mean we are equally skilled with it.

This is why I like BTB. Vehicles make DMRs a little less all-purpose.

Andrew.

Banned
So are there any specific weapons that work really well against the Knights? I'm playing on Heroic and they're taking qute a beating. Wasn't sure if thats the way it is or there's a weapon that'll fuck them up pretty quick like the Needler vs Elites.

Dinokill

The stat tracking in waypoint is bad as hell and confusing. Can't even look at my stats for each individual maps. I hope they improve this because is pretty embarrasing.

So are there any specific weapons that work really well against the Knights? I'm playing on Heroic and they're taking qute a beating. Wasn't sure if thats the way it is or there's a weapon that'll fuck them up pretty quick like the Needler vs Elites.

Needler Vs. Knights

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, but late levels have Promethean weapons only, and there's no short circuit solution aside from boltshot at point blank range.

thanks for the heads up. Im in the middle of Mission 4 right now about to enter a giant skirmish between Covenant and the Pros.

Ein Bear

I love how the Needler has slowly transformed over the course of the series from shit, joke weapon to godly instrument of annihilation.

GavinGT

Banned
I use that setup currently but always run out of DMR ammo quickly

This is really frustrating. It seems to only happen to me on Ragnarok, though, as I shoot off a ton of bullets trying to take down vehicles. I think I'll just make a loadout exclusively for Ragnarok that includes the extra ammo perk, or maybe two rifles.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love how the Needler has slowly transformed over the course of the series from shit, joke weapon to godly instrument of annihilation.

To be honest the Needler has always been great. The perception of it has changed though. No one would use it in 3 or Reach so I would always grab it and get an automatic few kills. Now everyone wants it. :p

This is really frustrating. It seems to only happen to me on Ragnarok, though, as I shoot off a ton of bullets trying to take down vehicles. I think I'll just make a loadout exclusively for Ragnarok that includes the extra ammo perk, or maybe two rifles.

DMR and PP seem to be the two most useful for ragnarok outside of power weapons.

A few missions later, and this is just plain GOTG at this point. It's also nice to finally play a genuinely pretty Halo. I have no idea what it does (or does not do) on a technical level, but it just plain works visually. Same feeling that I had about Uncharted 2, which I guess means that everything meshes really well.

Oh, and the sound. Still get a grin when I blast away with, well, any bullet rifle.

Just started experimenting with MP at my friends house. Is the pistol good in this game? I didn't have a chance to try it out. Is it five shots or something similar?

Xamdou

Forget to post this before, but here's my haul from my local Bestbuy Halo 4 midnight release!

Halo4BestbuyMidnightrelease.jpg

Raide

A few missions later, and this is just plain GOTG at this point. It's also nice to finally play a genuinely pretty Halo. I have no idea what it does (or does not do) on a technical level, but it just plain works visually. Same feeling that I had about Uncharted 2, which I guess means that everything meshes really well.

Oh, and the sound. Still get a grin when I blast away with, well, any bullet rifle.

I had my headphones on and the Scorpion rounds are damn delicious. I still think the pistol sounds off but it is still a great weapon.

Grisby

Anyone else finding the forerunner grenades to be completely useless in SP?

Also, Christ the cutscene audio downright blows.

Schmitty

343 needs to add BR, DMR, AR, and other starting weapons to the map. It is so frustrating to run out of ammo while on a spree and no weapons to fill up with.

343 needs to add BR, DMR, AR, and other starting weapons to the map. It is so frustrating to run out of ammo while on a spree and no weapons to fill up with.

deopped weapons last like 20 seconds otherwise you would probably find a ton everywhere, I do sort of prefer running dry though it means others have the same problems, but it can suck.

AR is actually decent in this game, it's accuracy isn't shit so it can actually hit things from mid-range, it's got great damage so if you manage to close in on a BR user you can easily maul him down with minimum aiming, it's the getting close part that's hard.

It's actually interesting because I'm pretty sure AR was originally intended to be the go-to weapon for new players because of its high damage and lack of aiming, but it has become a much more demanding weapon to use since the user needs to have great movement and awareness to get close to the enemy with everyone running around with DMR these days.

Started it up last night, stopped partway through the
forest area on way to Infinity
. Heroic difficulty, seems right on the money in terms of challenge. Some stages stopped me for a retry or two but nothing excessive.

Visuals are simply splendid. And the added aural punch of all the weapons is awesome, the shotgun felt like I was blowing a hole in my wall every time I shot it. And though I've seen reaction to this being mixed, I think the warthog has an appropriate overworked industrial-v sound. Music was initially a bit underwhelming, but then at times it seemed appropriate while locked down in a protracted fight that the music be less bombastic. So it is growing on me.

Other middling notes would be that level design is a bit less expansive so far; and it does indeed seem that some sounds are compromised by compression during cutscenes.

Returning to major positives for me include the new enemies and their weapons (awesome suppressor), and of course Master Chief having more to say is very welcome, as is his interaction with Cortana.

Really enjoying it and looking forward to digging in some more.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
AR is actually decent in this game, it's accuracy isn't shit so it can actually hit things from mid-range, it's got great damage so if you manage to close in on a BR user you can easily maul him down with minimum aiming, it's the getting close part that's hard.

It's actually interesting because I'm pretty sure AR was originally intended to be the go-to weapon for new players because of its high damage and lack of aiming, but it has become a much more demanding weapon to use since the user needs to have great movement and awareness to get close to the enemy with everyone running around with DMR these days.

That's absolutely true. Radar really makes AR a difficult weapon to start with.

m23

Has a date been set yet for map pack 1?

First map pack is in December, second in February and third in April.

To be honest the Needler has always been great. The perception of it has changed though. No one would use it in 3 or Reach so I would always grab it and get an automatic few kills. Now everyone wants it. :p

Same, I've always loved the needler, nothing more satisfying than that supercombine. Actually, those one shot grenade launcher kills were pretty awesome...sad to see it gone.

Oddly enough, I don't think they should. They've balanced out starting weapons with load out mods. You can carry extra ammo and choose to carry two primary weapons (i.e. DMR & BR) into battle. That's a potent combination and you're sure to not have worry about ammo.

Schmitty

deopped weapons last like 20 seconds otherwise you would probably find a ton everywhere, I do sort of prefer running dry though it means others have the same problems, but it can suck.
20 seconds is just not enough though.

Edit: but you could always do that in past games. Having a BR and AR is a typical halo loadout. I don't think putting them on the map would change much. It could also encourage people trying other weapons.

I didn't like no power weapon drops at first but it seems to fit in well.

Top Bottom