• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

GhaleonEB

To be honest the Needler has always been great. The perception of it has changed though. No one would use it in 3 or Reach so I would always grab it and get an automatic few kills. Now everyone wants it. :p

I like that they just recognized it as heavy ordnance and rolled with it. It's got target seeking needles that explode when they reach critical mass. So they juiced it up to super awesome levels.

In hindsight, embracing it as a power weapon seems like the obvious thing to do.

What's the consensus on the Carbine? I rocked it in a few BTB games yesterday and was very surprised with its performance. Much weaker than the DMR but with a comparatively big clip, insane rate of fire and next to no recoil. I heard people saying it's bad, and I'm surprised.

yodandy

Playing through this tonight with my same 4 man crew I have played through all campaigns with.

Normal, Heroic, or Legendary? All of us play about once a week on multiplayer for years now, and know our way around halo.

From what I've read this is the hardest one yet, so I thought we should do normal, then in a few months revisit on Legendary, but they want to start on Heroic as there is 4 of us, which got me thinking, should we just start on Legendary? Or will we get our asses handed to us?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like that they just recognized it as heavy ordnance and rolled with it. It's got target seeking needles that explode when they reach critical mass. So they juiced it up to super awesome levels.

In hindsight, embracing it as a power weapon seems like the obvious thing to do.

Agreed. I'm just sad I can't pick it up every time I spawn now since everyone wants it and it is rarely on maps.

Falagard

Love the Needler now :)

Tawpgun

It's awesome in MP but that shit is annoying in SP.

The Needler jackals are terrifying.

Andrew.

Banned
I love how the Needler has slowly transformed over the course of the series from shit, joke weapon to godly instrument of annihilation.

Yeah I was completely shocked when I unloaded not even a full clip into an Elite only to have them all burst and he came flipping forward in mid air. Since then I'm usually always on the prowl for a Needler. Never thought the day would come =P

Kind of off topic, but Cryosleep. How does the affect aging? Can people essentially "live" for centeries? If you're in cryo-sleep for 4 years, do you not age at all?

I know there isn't a real answer to this, but has the Halo universe ever answered this?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Playing through this tonight with my same 4 man crew I have played through all campaigns with.

Normal, Heroic, or Legendary? All of us play about once a week on multiplayer for years now, and know our way around halo.

From what I've read this is the hardest one yet, so I thought we should do normal, then in a few months revisit on Legendary, but they want to start on Heroic as there is 4 of us, which got me thinking, should we just start on Legendary? Or will we get our asses handed to us?
Go Legendary. I only had a little bit of trouble on Heroic, and I'm honestly not a very big console FPS guy. The game becomes a bit of a cakewalk once the Covenant are out of the picture.

harrytang

anyone not using Promethean Vision? it's incredibly useful and eliminates all creeping. i wish it wasnt in the game just for that reason, but if others using this AA then its best to be on the same level. also seems like a rip off from blacklight retribution mp. hoping they add or increase incentive to use other AA's.

Always loved the needler as well. Even if not the best choice at the moment, I would always love to plaster Elites or Brutes with the exact right amount of explosive needle spam. Halo 4 needler is just plain no-excuses excellent.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
anyone not using Promethean Vision? it's incredibly useful and eliminates all creeping. i wish it wasnt in the game just for that reason, but if others using this AA then its best to be on the same level. also seems like a rip off from blacklight retribution mp. hoping they add or increase incentive to use other AA's.
It's honestly pretty terrible and I'm not sure why you'd want to use it over the jetpack's mobility.

jediyoshi

with how easy it is to pick up people using it on the minimap, it's pretty silly on the smaller maps. i usually see them get picked off immediately after a ping.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't find Promethean Vision that bad. I used it a bit, and while it does help it doesn't give you an automatic win. It's hard to see with it on, and generally you just see that someone is 3 floors below you and you still have to get to them. I don't find myself dying a lot because someone saw me with it, since it shows on the radar when an enemy uses it and I can take off quickly.

I switched back to thrusters last night.

harrytang

It's honestly pretty terrible and I'm not sure why you'd want to use it over the jetpack's mobility.

terrible? i dont know, maybe its not great in every game mode. i play team slayer. being able to see enemy locations, sit and wait to watch them come around the corner, ect. is crucial. increasing your situational intel can never be a bad thing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
terrible? i dont know, maybe its not great in every game mode. i play team slayer. being able to see enemy locations, sit and wait to watch them come around the corner, ect. is crucial. increasing your situational intel can never be a bad thing.
The radar does all these things, barring letting you know where they're facing. It's really not that great of a boon.

Only in Flood/Zombies, outside of that it's pants.

No, if you know how to use it, thrusters is awesome. Use it to dash around a corner or over a wall while you're getting shot, and it'll save you a couple times per game. Evade vehicles with ease, shoot past a close opponent and throw off their aim completely. It is incredibly useful, people just need to think outside the box and get used to knowing when to use it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No, if you know how to use it, thrusters is awesome. Use it to dash around a corner or over a wall while you're getting shot, and it'll save you a couple per game. Evade vehicles with ease, shoot past a close opponent and throw off their aim completely. It is incredibly useful, people just need to think outside the box and get used to knowing when to use it.

+1

It also makes for some awesome film clips.

Gueras

Banned
The multiplayer is not so popular like it was...

Halo 3 on launch day had 700000 gamers online...

Halo 4 had 400000

I lot of people gave up from Halo multiplayer :(

Tawpgun

Why is the thrust pack physics so inconsistent. In zombies, if you thrust it carries you with your momentum. In regular matchmaking it does. In campaign I felt it thrusted you a lot further as well.

The distance/speed is already lame enough, and then put on top of it that it doesn't account for player momentum, meaning if you go off a mancannon and thrust, it will actually stop your mancannon momentum and just drop you. To your death if you do it on adrift.

PV is pretty good but I dont find it necesarry. Jetpack is my favorite.

Halo 4 had 400000

Guarantee you there's more unique users on Halo 4 launch than Halo 3.

Reach had this same issue. Their counting for players online is more accurate. On Halo 3 it would tally all the players that logged in for a longer period of time. So say both games had an equal amount of fan support. Halo 4 tallies up its players online every 20 minutes or so (dont know what it actually is) Halo 3 did an hour or more. So more players can accumulate in that hour than in 20 minutes.

The lack of anyone using a mic in MP is disappointing. Perhaps this is becoming more common in the time since I last bothered with a MP Live game?

Party chat kind of destroyed most of the sense of community I felt from Halo. Everyone just goes into party chat now, even when they're by themselves. It's like everyone hates each other.

Personally I liked to hear the trash talking and joking in the lobbies and stuff, or even better, overhearing an opponent's team talking about strategy while sneaking into their area, etc. It was great.

FyreWulff

Halo 4 had 400000

Halo 3 massively inflated it's numbers on the in-game counter because it didn't count population in the same way Reach and 4 do (assuming 4 counts the same way Reach did)

rakka

The radar does all these things, barring letting you know where they're facing. It's really not that great of a boon.
actually, if they're not moving or if they crouching, they won't show on your radar.

I use promethean vision but it's ridiculous, it was fun at first thats all. I hope it doesn't return in halo 5. fuckin everyone wall hacking pretty much, takes the reflexes and skill almost completely away from the game.

fuck it I might go back to playing reach /anniversary til the swat playlist is released at least.

Anyone else really not like how the new Marines, Pelicans,
Broadsword
or
Mammoth
look? The new vehicles don't fit in with the older UNSC vehicles at all, they are too curved and the edges are rounded whereas the other UNSC stuff has a lot of flat, straight sections with sharp edges and random angles. The colours don't match either.

The new marines just look completely generic and have no resemblance to the previous version at all.

Dirtbag

Forerunner grenades - useless
Needler - needs more ammo on pickup
Saw - needs smaller clip and less ammo
All maps need BR / DMR pickup locations on the map for ammo or a starting weapon ammo station.
Sticky Detonator - Wish it was the Grenade Launcher instead
AAs - feel much more balanced this time. I dont totally hate them yet, given the overall kill / movement speed, jetpack can be a death sentence pretty quickly
Thruster AA - useless, needs further range and speed. Only useful for closing gaps with shotgun / sword / etc. Still not worth using over other AA's.
CTF - we need a CTF pro variant with typical drop flag and no carrier waypoint setup. This new CTF works great for random matchmaking stuff, but not every gametype needs to move at lightning speed. I feel like every game type is rush rush rush rush

GhaleonEB

It's awesome in MP but that shit is annoying in SP.

The Needler jackals are terrifying.

I was so shocked the first time I got supercombined by one. I don't think you could ever actually get popped before? Or am I misrememering?

The Halo 1 Needler is still my favorite in Campaign, because there was this delay from when the number of needles would land until they popped. So you'd have Grunts and Elites experiencing that moment of panic, similar to when they get tagged with a plasma grenade, when they realize they're about to go boom. "Not again!"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
actually, if they're not moving or if they crouching, they won't show on your radar.
I honestly never found shotgun/sword crouching to be a common thing outside of killboxes like Reach's Sword Base gravlift. Predictable, and certainly not enough to make Promethean Vision a necessary defence.

Tawpgun

I was so shocked the first time I got supercombined by one. I don't think you could ever actually get popped before? Or am I misrememering?

The Halo 1 Needler is still my favorite in Campaign, because there was this delay from when the number of needles would land until they popped. So you'd have Grunts and Elites experiencing that moment of panic, similar to when they get tagged with a plasma grenade, when they realize they're about to go boom. "Not again!"

You could but it took CONSIDERABLY more needles.

Andrew.

Banned

LOL +1. Awesome. Know exactly what you mean.

It's rather tough to get a plasma to stick onto baddies now. They're either too quick and dodge out of the way or my throwing aim sucks. Probably a nice, healthy mix of both.

I've got to say that Autosentry is the best AA for me. It spots enemies for you from afar, and smart placements at key choke points makes encounters more controlled. Players are scared of it too, haha. Doesn't even do that much damage.

Checking out smartglass with halo 4, says I have played matchmaking for 10H 44M so far, more then I thought.

I've got to say that Autosentry is the best AA for me. It spots enemies for you from afar, and smart placements at key choke points makes encounters more controlled. Players are scared of it too, haha. Doesn't even do that much damage.

I love the sentry, it's not that strong but has it confused people so many times now. I use it to guard my back on some maps.

S1kkZ

is there any way to play spartan-ops on legendary in matchmaking?
i still cant play with my friends since my status is alsways on "not joinable".

btw: i think you dont get enough points for mp matches. i can get almost 6000 xp from the second spartan ops mission, a good mp match earns me about 2500-3000.

GloveSlap

with how easy it is to pick up people using it on the minimap, it's pretty silly on the smaller maps. i usually see them get picked off immediately after a ping.

Promethean vision tends to make users really predictable, so you know exactly when they are going to come and throw a grenade or just plan ahead. It sucks when Im trying to sneak up behind someone sometimes, but its not that bad.

Camo is still annoying though. Always hated that as an armor ability and always will. Hardlight shield is a little annoying, but still a a million times better than armor lock.

Someone's hologram got me good yesterday. He sent out a hologram that active camouflaged itself. Spent almost an entire clip shooting what I thought was a legitimate enemy. I also noticed how holograms reload now, too. Nice touch.

haikira

Am i missing something with Spartan Ops, or is there no penalty for dying in missions? Seems a little too easy, if that's the case.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Am i missing something with Spartan Ops, or is there no penalty for dying in missions? Seems a little too easy, if that's the case.
None. In fact, it has the benefit of giving you full ammo for your default load out.

Top Bottom