• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Music Ranking
1. ODST
2. Halo 2 (volume 1 and 2)
3. Halo 3
4. Halo CE
6. Halo Reach
7. Halo 4
8. Halo Wars

There we go, a better list music wise. Although overall Halo 4 ranks high in the list as a game. ;)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
They want this season to take off if they want people to buy the next seasons... Which they do.

any word on what the ops are going to cost?

also, why can't I find games with legendary setting? it seems to default to heroic, which means if I want the legendary stuff I have to play solo (i think)

Daft_Cat

Music Ranking

HALO 3=ODST=HALO 4 > Halo 1> Halo 2> Halo Reach

4 had an amazing soundtrack that feels fresh and exciting. Felt like Halo mixed with some of the more orchestral tracks from Firefly/Serenity. I don't see how anyone can say it doesn't feel like Halo music, since it's full of Marty's themes. Hell, 4 feels more like a Halo soundtrack than Reach and ODST did.

I love the music that plays over the credits and after-credit-scene. Great arrangement of some familiar themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDv-E-crTKY

equil

I'm assuming that i just hit the xp cap? Because now its not going up and it doesnt even show the xp after any match. But theres no way i hit it in less than 2 hours...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you guys actively chase xp? As in look at challenges and then go specifically for them? I keep meaning to. Then I say 'one more game of multi' then I've lost a couple hours and girlfriend is mad.

TheOddOne

I imagine the reason they make SWAT and Snipers a limited time only thing is the same reason places like McDonalds only do the McRib every once in awhile. They announce and make a big deal "ITS BACK" and it drives up the servers and gets people to go back to the game for awhile just to play it.
Ding ding ding.

Risette

A Good Citizen
These Promethean enemies are all sorts of awful. I was starting to like the campaign until they showed up. Oh well. Don't think I'll bother going back to it.

Ding ding ding.

Yeah I understand the thinking as well but those are fairly niche/hardcore playlists. But a playlist like multi-team should've been included. It's a nice alternative when you just want to play in a laid back fashion with the "wifey" or a close friend or family member.

I can't stress how fun multi team was in Halo 3 and Reach especially Reach simply because the game launched with a 6x2 (six teams of two players) playlist. Also as I mentioned before the multi-team playlists are a great way to introduce casuals to the game who may initially feel comfortable just playing and learning alongside that special someone they know without worrying about what other teammates are saying or doing in the larger team playlists.

I'm just baffled as to why multi-team was not included. I know my girl/wifey was severely disappointed when I told her that no multi-team playlist was included. Seriously 343 please bring it back and please make it permanent. What were you guys thinking?

Dennis

Banned
Game completed.

Final verdict: 8/10

Not as good as Reach. The graphics were a step up but at too high a price. Smaller less open areas - which is pretty damn tragic as that was my favorite part of Halo.

New enemy types not very good. Especially the spamming of knights.

The loss of the high res and amazing skyboxes was not acceptable.

Sec0nd

The music in this game was good but totally forgettable, unlike other Halo games. However, the song played during the final mission was so incredible and awesome. Man, I felt like such a hero listening to that song.

Petrichor

I made a post about the soundtrack in the community thread if you're interested. Even though I will tell you all of the soundtracks are a good investment, Halo 4's is a great listen. If I were to rank the soundtracks, it would probably be:
1. ODST
2. Halo 4
3. Halo 2(volume 1 and 2)
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 3
6. Halo Reach
7. Halo Wars

And Halo Wars has quite a few stellar tracks as well.

The Halo:CE and Halo 2 soundtracks are infinitely better than everything else in the franchise. Every track in halo 2 is exceptional.

Monocle

Music Ranking

1. Halo CE - So many great themes. The sleeping grunty song and the synth drumbeats barely push this soundtrack above Halo 2's for me.

2. Halo 2 (both volumes) - Brilliant all around. I absolutely love Peril and the extended High Charity Suite from Volume 2. This score exemplifies the full depth and range of Marty's contribution to the Halo series. I say it surpasses most film scores.

3. ODST - Marty really shows his versatility here. Can't say enough good things about the way he evokes the somber mood of ODST's noir-ish setting. This soundtrack hasn't left my iPod since the day it was released.

4. Halo 4 - Doesn't even touch Marty at his best, but To Galaxy totally hits the spot as a theme for the Infinity, and the score impressed me throughout the campaign by almost always setting the appropriate tone. Overall, it's a bit too generically "cinematic." But still an impressive first effort from Davidge. I'm hoping he takes more cues from Marty's earlier work for Halo 5.

5. Halo 3 - Too many reused tracks. Most of the original compositions have unappealing sounds that don't fit the musical profile established by the first two games. However, I do love the haunting vocals from Floodgate, as well as the opening track for The Ark.

6. Halo Reach - Sounds off for the most part. It's adequate for setting the mood, and I like the part after Noble Six lands back on Reach for the conclusion of Long Night of Solace, but none of it is especially memorable.

D6AMIA6N

These Promethean enemies are all sorts of awful. I was starting to like the campaign until they showed up. Oh well. Don't think I'll bother going back to it.

Couldn't agree more. I've played every Halo on legendary first time through, but this is just fucking ridiculous. The knights take way too much damage on legendary to kill. The shooting dog things just suck, I'd take the little baby flood swarmers over them any day. The Prometheans look like something out of Crysis. Worst addition to the franchise ever in my opinion. I have little desire to fight them, but at least the Elites are still fun to fight.

So far ODST and 4 are my two least favorite Halo games.

Thank god for join in progress. I know the purists bash it, but it just saved another match for me. My team kept quitting out and for about half the game it was 2v4 my team with 4. Half way through my team fills up and we win.

If not for that, it would have been the same shit as the last Halos. An unfun lopsided ass kicking.

I actually like Join in progress as well. Sure, you get dumped into half over games occasionally but it helps mitigate the leaving issues reach had.

rakka

I actually like Join in progress as well. Sure, you get dumped into half over games occasionally but it helps mitigate the leaving issues reach had.

JIP just makes up for being able to quit games even durin map vote. so many uneven starts, far more than reach, it's not funny

Game completed.

Final verdict: 8/10

Not as good as Reach. The graphics were a step up but at too high a price. Smaller less open areas - which is pretty damn tragic as that was my favorite part of Halo.

New enemy types not very good. Especially the spamming of knights.

The loss of the high res and amazing skyboxes was not acceptable.

Glad to know you still have good taste even when it comes to console games.

Striker

Surely by best you mean worst? Worst gametype in Halo 4 EASILY.
Kind of sad (for me anyways) the best playlist in H4 is Oddball. Dominion is a nice concept, but there's way too many power weapons always dropping. You and your whole group can be loaded up and down with explosives or sniper rifles. Curious if they ditch it altogether in Halo 5 or they introduce something else entirely new. Again.

Ezi0

Is all the music from the main menu on the soundtrack?

I completed Episode 1 of Spartan Ops yesterday with my friend. It was really good.

harmonize

Sad to see Pro with such a low population, but not surprised considering SWAT and Black Ops 2 probably ate up a good portion of its population.

Hopefully MLG releases whatever the hell they're doing soon, and have it replace Pro. Any word on if they'll use the 10 second time in lieu of an actual respawn timer?

Fuchsdh

Sad to see Pro with such a low population, but not surprised considering SWAT and Black Ops 2 probably ate up a good portion of its population.

Hopefully MLG releases whatever the hell they're doing soon, and have it replace Pro. Any word on if they'll use the 10 second time in lieu of an actual respawn timer?

I'll take Pro over MLG's crap any day.

TheOddOne

You should be voting for Longbow, or Exile (once they remove the over-abundant vehicle count). Better maps.
tumblr_lyisicyWQf1qkv1d3.gif

S1kkZ

Is all the music from the main menu on the soundtrack?

I completed Episode 1 of Spartan Ops yesterday with my friend. It was really good.

the music from the main menu (and the startscreen on waypoint) is not on the soundtrack (afaik), the music that appears when you select infinity is called "to galaxy" and is on the soundtrack.

Striker

Longbow sucks for Slayer, is pretty alright for Dominion. Exile is awful for everything and you should feel bad.
I'm not a fan of the tank and/or gauss. Pick one or the other. But there's more ways to attack teams in that map, whereas Ragnarok you sit mid and just pick your shots. It was like that in Halo 3 and it isn't changing. Now there's more vehicles to go nuts and it mostly ends with enemies torching the bases which is easy as shit to do.

WJD

So I've turned around on the game. I mean I always said it was an excellent game, but I had reservations about the fact that you have less health points and that my go-to armor abilities have been nerfed (shield and jetpack). Since I've mastered the use of the thrust pack though... I feel like I'm playing Reach again. It's getting me out of tough spots time and time again, just like the original shield used to.

Still feel like the grenades are too weak, and netcode needs some work, but I no longer miss Reach while playing Halo 4. I'm pretty much in love with the game now.

You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm running into more disturbing bits of lag in the last few days. anyone else? connection is usually good, then I see the same guy running across the same spot all of a sudden a bunch of times. Maddening in a duel.

Reach was not a good game IMO by Halo standards. But one thing that it provided along with Halo 3 was a nice variety of playlists for players to choose from. With Halo 4 we basically have a skeleton crew of Playlists.

It almost makes the whole MP experience not as fun as previous Halos when you don't have that nice hefty dose of playlists to choose from. Yes the core gameplay in mp is fun but where is multi-team? Where is basic FFA and a bunch of others? Not seeing 343's logic here.

All they're doing is risking long time fans leaving the game sooner because their old time favorite playlists are nowhere to be found. Doesn't seem to make sense to me *sigh*

Yes I know about the weekly playlist release but from what I'm hearing these will be on a rotational basis meaning temporary so it still doesn't make sense and in essence is a bad tease.

Why not just give us the whole smash? Is it a resource/memory issue. Sorry to be complaining but the whole thing is just annoying especially coming off of a wealth of playlists in Halo 3 and even Reach.

By the way I like the new playlists but can we get the classics in here too. What's the problem? Like I said if this is some sort of strategic move by 343 it doesn't make sense because you slowly risk losing your fanbase and again even when the playlists are released they will be temporary. So where is the logic?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Why not just give us the whole smash? Is it a resource/memory issue. Sorry to be complaining but the whole thing is just annoying especially coming off of a wealth of playlists in Halo 3 and even Reach.

I thought I read somewhere that they were trying to prevent overly fragmented playlists.

I would have thought they would have a shit load of data to refer to and drop the really unpopular ones, but FFA being left out is just a headscratcher. as a person that plays only with randoms, I really miss that one, because team play is ludicrously frustrating some days when playing solo.

Also, I've noticed almost nobody uses headsets or trys to talk these days. I think that's due to party play.

Question for tech support GAF. I have zero issues at all playing multiplayer with randoms and been having a blast. However last night when trying to play with a few friends it lagged horribly and I was dropped twice.

After the second time I got an invite to rejoin their game and after I accepted the game did nothing for 5 mins before giving me an error message saying something to the effect of: "The party may have an incompatible network setup. Your setting, OPEN NAT, is usually compatible"

Weird hiccup, something wrong with a buddies connection, or am I doing something wrong?

I thought I read somewhere that they were trying to prevent overly fragmented playlists.

But that's my point. Who cares if it's fragmented? This makes no sense! Is it not important to try to provide the fan base with playlists they recognize and love in addition to spicing it with the new stuff which by the way is awesome.

And the love affair with the new stuff will last only so long before people really start getting annoyed. Again why not just give us the whole smash? That fragmentation excuse is not even an excuse. It's just lame. Even if it's fragmented people WILL find that playlist they are craving for no matter how fragmented the playlists are. The whole thing is just stupid and MAKES ZERO SENSE.

So again was it a resource/memory issue?

Alright I'm going back on my previous statements regarding AR. AR's on Adrift is absolutely annoying as shit. Ended up getting a couple Regicide games on Adrift and it seemed like the default loadout was AR, Boltshot, and Invis or PV. It turned the entire game into a hide and seek camp fest.

As for dominion, I'm still loving it, but I see what people are saying in dominion more, when you get an organized team. The fix for it is fairly obvious.

1. Fewer total heavy weapon drops, fewer rockets/snipers/shotguns/scattershots, more needlers, speed boosts, grenade re-ups and rifles.
2. Each team gets the same total number of ordinance drops. IE, so if you control A+B you get one ordinance load split between the two bases, but the team controlling C gets the full load at C to keep it from being imbalanced. Vehicles stay the same, as they are needed to soak up the rocket/splaser shots.

I had a great base capture this morning, Sneak into the base, boltshot the shotgun guy, charge in with his shotgun (Which was a rocket launcher when I killed him?) get a double kill, but die to a from the grave grenade, but open up the path for my team to take the base. Unfortunately, by that point they only needed a final resupply at A to win.

I felt like Reach worked much better with a reduced AA and weapons set, but in Halo 4, having all the AAs and perks and shit adds so much to the game, giving you lots of crazy ways to take and defend bases and such. I just wish there wasn't the damn bar filling reward system, I hate having to wait to finish off my builds.

JB1981

why doesn't 343 just do what treyarch did with Blops and not let players vote for the same map more than once? i think nuketown caused that change lol

Top Bottom