• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

FPS Fan

Neo Member
Played Spartan Ops Epi 2 last night. I'm slightly disappointed they reused so many levels, but honestly, I enjoyed the different encounter set ups. Halo 4's got a good sandbox, and I like watching 343i paint the same scene different ways with the enemy types and weapon selections.

As a side note, I was able to assassinate a Watcher during Epi 2 Chapter 1. Didn't think it was possible, but it's a nifty animation, and I definitely was not expecting it to happen.

Louis Wu

I don't understand medals.

I had a game today where I got two Wingman medals (assist spree) - but only 8 assists, total.

I had another game where I got a smooth moves medal (triple kill with an oddball), but no triple kills.

How do these work? (In previous Halos, if you got a sniper spree, you also got a killing spree, and so on.)

Grisby

Do the maps Ravine, Erosion, and...er Impact ever show up in MP? Or are they just there for Forge?

Haven't gotten to play on meltdown yet either. Having a blast though but my internet is out tonight so no MP, :(

MrBig

Do the maps Ravine, Erosion, and...er Impact ever show up in MP? Or are they just there for Forge?

Haven't gotten to play on meltdown yet either. Having a blast though but my internet is out tonight so no MP, :(

They are purely forge canvases.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So any word on Grifball or Regular FFA Slayer playlists comming? I see they just added SWAT.
Grifball is definitely coming — it already has its own section on Waypoint. No word on when, though, but probably sooner than later.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Let's just say I have a hunch they're going to prevent the playlist menu from having to scroll if they can help it. Under this new focusd approach, anything under the 'fold' is going to suffer.

Bungie actually had issues with their tree menu in 3 and Reach where people thought a playlist didn't exist because they just A -> A'd into Ranked and didn't see SWAT sitting in the Hardcore category.

Then they can take out the terrible Infinity Slayer and Infinity BTB. That'll solve our problems.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Dominion is the best new thing in Halo 4. I love it!

I wish it worked like territories (land grab), though.

Stand in the base to trigger capture, this forces you to stay in the base. Instead of triggering and running away.

The button part is just added annoyance (basically every damn button in the game is)

Petrie

Banned
Is there a thread for those looking for groups? I'm not amazing but damn am I sick of RANDOMS who don't work together at all.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Then they can take out the terrible Infinity Slayer and Infinity BTB. That'll solve our problems.
It wont, Infinity Slayer is the new Team Slayer because:

1) It sits at the top of the list

2) Because the only alternative to it is Team Slayer Pro

I imagine the reason they make SWAT and Snipers a limited time only thing is the same reason places like McDonalds only do the McRib every once in awhile. They announce and make a big deal "ITS BACK" and it drives up the servers and gets people to go back to the game for awhile just to play it.

rakka

alright, how much they've fucked over splitscreen players is getting ridiculous. now you don't need it all the time, but you don't get a killcam in splitscreen. ever. now if you've just been sniped at least in reach the camera swung towards the direction of whoever killed you. not the case in halo 4 splitscreen. no cam, and no camera focus on your killer.

if you're going to add kill cams 343, at least make sure it's fucking there for split screen players too.

on top of that, shitty framerate on many mp maps, tiny ass all caps unreadable text for killfeed and scoreboard, the radars elevation indicators with enemies being diamonds with arrows below or above are hard to see (should've kept them as faded circles and triangles), etc.

fuck, maybe I've been spoiled by bungie but hey at least they put some consideration into making splitscreen as enjoyable as full screen playrrs

and wait for it, someone like catfish is going to get their panties in a bunch because I expressed perfectly valid concerns and reply tellin me not to play the game if it's such a problem. save your bullshit, I don't want to hear it. I have every right to ask for issues like this to be addressed. I bought the damn game didnt i?

IHaveIce

Banned
alright, how much they've fucked over splitscreen players is getting ridiculous. now you don't need it all the time, but you don't get a killcam in splitscreen. ever. now if you've just been sniped at least in reach the camera swung towards the direction of whoever killed you. not the case in halo 4 splitscreen. no cam, and no camera focus on your killer.

if you're going to add kill cams 343, at least make sure it's fucking there for split screen players too.

on top of that, shitty framerate on many mp maps, tiny ass all caps unreadable text for killfeed and scoreboard, the radars elevation indicators with enemies being diamonds with arrows below or above are hard to see (should've kept them as faded circles and triangles), etc.

fuck, maybe I've been spoiled by bungie but hey at least they put some consideration into making splitscreen as enjoyable as full screen playrrs

Lol yeah splitscreen in Reach was blast right? the killfeed getting constantly in your reticule and awesome maps couldn't get into matchmaking because in splitscreen they didn't work visually?

come on.

Scarecrow

Fuck sabotage happy team mates who constantly PP you while you're in the Mantis. 343, please remove EMP friendly fire on vehicles :(

Also, are the kill cams not in BTB? I'd like to learn what I'm dying from.

rakka

Lol yeah splitscreen in Reach was blast right? the killfeed getting constantly in your reticule and awesome maps couldn't get into matchmaking because in splitscreen they didn't work visually?

come on.
it was a blast in CE, 2, 3 and Reach, yes.

and in 4 too, aside from the issues I mentioned above. I never said its not fun.

Petrie

Banned

and wait for it, someone like catfish is going to get their panties in a bunch because I expressed perfectly valid concerns and reply tellin me not to play the game if it's such a problem. save your bullshit, I don't want to hear it. I have every right to ask for issues like this to be addressed. I bought the damn game didnt i?

I'm glad they didn't hold back on the rest of the experience to make it more viable split screen. Sucks for those going that route, but it's quite the minority.

IHaveIce

Banned
it was a blast in CE, 2, 3 and Reach, yes.

and in 4 too, aside from the issues I mentioned above. I never said its not fun.

Yeah I know what you meant, but I think splitscreen had everytime some huge missing things or thigns that ruined the HUD, I gladly take a missing killcam in splitscreen over lagging or performance issues.

The most outrageous thing till today is that when player 1 presses "start" the menu goes all over the screen, not just for player 1 :(

rakka

Yeah I know what you meant, but I think splitscreen had everytime some huge missing things or thigns that ruined the HUD, I gladly take a missing killcam in splitscreen over lagging or performance issues.

The most outrageous thing till today is that when player 1 presses "start" the menu goes all over the screen, not just for player 1 :(
thing is, performance issues still exist and are maybe even worse in halo 4 splitscreen. have you played complex in splitscreen? single digit framerate nearly all the time. they should have toned the amazing lighting down for better fps.

oh and yeah, start menu going full screen during splitscreen has always been annoying.

Why is Relay never showing up in anything? I haven't seen it in ffa, koth, ctf, or team slayer. I saw it a ton in that MLG tournament before the game came out and it looked like foundation 2.0.

Is it me or is SWAT the easiest mode? Maybe it's just that I had a lot more practice with that mode, because I've been going barely positive in Slayer but I can easily be top of scoreboard in SWAT

IHaveIce

Banned
Why is Relay never showing up in anything? I haven't seen it in ffa, koth, ctf, or team slayer. I saw it a ton in that MLG tournament before the game came out and it looked like foundation 2.0.

Sadly forge maps aren't in MM yet :(
It's a shame because Relay is probably the best map in the game with Haven

Sadly forge maps aren't in MM yet :(
It's a shame because Relay is probably the best map in the game with Haven

Oh weird I didn't notice those other forge maps too. Was there a reason why, seems nuts to have multiple maps just hidden away when the map selection is already pretty sparse.

The music was good but it just didn't feel like Halo music. It felt like music from a Hollywood movie.

I think it sounds like a bit of both, although I'm not one of those people who say "it sounds like Hollywood music" as some kind of negative thing. IMO that's some high praise as film composers are some of the best musicians in the world.

People seem to hear high-quality scoring and automatically write it off as "movie music." That, and I've only heard a handful (at best) of videogame scores that are actually up there with quality film scores.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thank god for join in progress. I know the purists bash it, but it just saved another match for me. My team kept quitting out and for about half the game it was 2v4 my team with 4. Half way through my team fills up and we win.

If not for that, it would have been the same shit as the last Halos. An unfun lopsided ass kicking.

exYle

The music was good but it just didn't feel like Halo music. It felt like music from a Hollywood movie.

I found a lot of typical Halo leitmotifs in the actual game (they tend to appear around the reall high strokes) that don't seem to be present in the released soundtrack, which strikes me as strange.

The lack of kill cam is a bummer but not a deal breaker. The performance in my experience is just fine.

Was worried about how it would play based off day 1 complaints but it's been fine for my gaming group.

exYle

Hahaha, considering how awful the killcams are, this sounds a bit like a blessing in disguise. The only times I watch them is on modes where I can't respawn instantly, and I'd rather watch my killer shoot a wall that was kind of near me than my motionless corpse.

So I've turned around on the game. I mean I always said it was an excellent game, but I had reservations about the fact that you have less health points and that my go-to armor abilities have been nerfed (shield and jetpack). Since I've mastered the use of the thrust pack though... I feel like I'm playing Reach again. It's getting me out of tough spots time and time again, just like the original shield used to.

Still feel like the grenades are too weak, and netcode needs some work, but I no longer miss Reach while playing Halo 4. I'm pretty much in love with the game now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

damn dude, you really developing quite the problem with me aren't you? You might have perfectly valid concerns, I dunno, but it sounds a lot like bitch whining 4x per page and I can't really tell the difference anymore.

perhaps you should put down the controller and just wait a bit. I'm sure some of your perfectly valid concerns will be addressed in a title update. Like every other multiplayer game ever in existence that is worth the disc it's printed on tends to get. The ones that don't get addressed though, bad news, those might be design decisions and it might be time for you to find another game to play if you don't agree.

Or you know, you can continue like 343 ran over your dog I guess.

Since I've mastered the use of the thrust pack though...

never really understood the thrust pack, didn't buy it yet and nobody used it well against me. Is it really useful for escaping?

Still feel like the grenades are too weak, and netcode needs some work, but I no longer miss Reach while playing Halo 4.

lately I've been running around with the explosives and grenadier perks. having 3 grenades I managed to pull off my first kill the other day, threw 2 grenades, guy comes charging around the corner, right onto my 3rd frag grenade I was holding. glorious.

this one I don't really get.... I haven't purchased it yet, but I haven't seen anyone use it well yet against me. Might have to try it out.

loving the adrift map now. I love being the invisible douchebag hiding in a hallway with a shotgun, or better, a saw.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So I've turned around on the game. I mean I always said it was an excellent game, but I had reservations about the fact that you have less health points and that my go-to armor abilities have been nerfed (shield and jetpack). Since I've mastered the use of the thrust pack though... I feel like I'm playing Reach again. It's getting me out of tough spots time and time again, just like the original shield used to.

Still feel like the grenades are too weak, and netcode needs some work, but I no longer miss Reach while playing Halo 4. I'm pretty much in love with the game now.

I've fallen in love with regen field. It really is a great armor ability, and a great way to accelerate your reentry into a fight. Also, it's a great ability for defense in groups.

Karl2177

Some of the music was great. I want a soundtrack now.

I made a post about the soundtrack in the community thread if you're interested. Even though I will tell you all of the soundtracks are a good investment, Halo 4's is a great listen. If I were to rank the soundtracks, it would probably be:
1. ODST
2. Halo 4
3. Halo 2(volume 1 and 2)
4. Halo CE
5. Halo 3
6. Halo Reach
7. Halo Wars

And Halo Wars has quite a few stellar tracks as well.

exYle

never really understood the thrust pack, didn't buy it yet and nobody used it well against me. Is it really useful for escaping?

It's great for that last leg around the corner which you're sprinting to, and for dodging vehicles. I think there's a couple of invincibility frames in the beginning (or the purple flare really throws people off), as I've only ever been killed mid-thrust towards the end of the animation.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
What's the likelihood that 343 will be recycling more maps within the next few Spartan Ops missions?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

Bummer. Having played the 5 same maps for each individual episode (10 chapters, 5 maps) my girlfriend is losing interest and doesn't enjoy playing competitive multiplayer. Hopefully they can showcase at least 2 new maps for the next episode or else I fear I will have to find a new game to play cooperatively with her.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I don't see SpOpS being that important a thing for them to make entirely new maps for.

Although I can see them sectioning off more areas from the SP for use in SO...

They want this season to take off if they want people to buy the next seasons... Which they do.

Top Bottom