• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

MrBig

I stopped playing the first level a bit to play some multiplayer. I'm not feeling the solo campaign just yet. I'm a bit upset with the needler and the plasma pistol. The plasma pistol takes awhile before you can start shooting once you pick it up and both seem to contain so few shots that you have to toss the weapons after a few shots. Am I missing something here?

They're both much much more power than before so their capacity was appropriately reduced.

Anyone has survival tips for Banshee?
The only times I can last in a banshee is if I'm the least of the enemy's worries and I play it hit and run style. So if there's a friendly mech or tank on the field I can usually swoop in and mess people up without everybody on the other team taking shots at me.

Besides that? Prayer maybe?

MormaPope

Banned
Banshee's have to be flown in a very cautious matter, know what you're doing before you fly into enemy territory.

Also using a DMR and assault rifle together is bliss. You basically can survive any 1v1 encounter. The suppressor sucks huge ass in multiplayer, half a magazine or more and it doesn't drain a person's shield.

S1kkZ

They did something to that Banshee. It is lacking in maneuverability compared to older Halo titles.

they made it really shitty. i loved using the banshee in halos campaigns, but in h4? nope, that thing is not fun to use, at all.
why they didnt replace it with another, better controlling aerial vehicle, is beyond me.

Pooya

they made it really shitty. i loved using the banshee in halos campaigns, but in h4? nope, that thing is not fun to use, at all.
why they didnt replace it with another, better controlling aerial vehicle, is beyond me.

what happened to Hornets?

I really can't control this new Banshee, banshee dog fights seem impossible too.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Like the tanks, they can absolutely dominate when supported by infantry and skirmishing vehicles. Its the one-man-army mechs that get dropped quickly. Play conservatively, and only move when backed by your team which should try and keep the enemy off-balance and harried, keeping them from coordinating a decent ant-vehicle defense.

Pretty much this. You can't be out in the open and you have to be wary of enemy Rambos trying to spring on you from cover after they've been crouching for miles (lol).

Obviously the banshee is the main threat along with the other mech but it's easy to spot it. The ghosts are pretty useless but the warthog and chain gun can hurt you. I try to shoot my gun in bursts so it doesnt over heat. The mech itself is strong but you still have to stop moving occasionally to recharge your spartan's shield since that is the main weak point.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Got a coworker that just devours mtn dew on a daily basis. I got him giving me the caps! I havnt played much recently but I look forward to some double xp matches. Just unlocked firepower and thruster pack so I hope it works well.

Red

Banshee's have to be flown in a very cautious matter, know what you're doing before you fly into enemy territory.

Also using a DMR and assault rifle together is bliss. You basically can survive any 1v1 encounter. The suppressor sucks huge ass in multiplayer, half a magazine or more and it doesn't drain a person's shield.
The suppressor sucks in general. Its only positive is having a large clip... if you are fighting 1 v 1 you might get lucky with flinches and score a kill. Literally every other weapon is preferable.

I played multi the first time last night. Only did two matches. One was SWAT, which felt great, though it seems headshots in mp are just as easy as single player. Most battles turned into "who shot first." I did okay. I was doing really well for the first few minutes, but near the end the other team got much more coordinated, so every time I turned a hallway it seemed there were two or three dudes already waiting. I liked the map though I can't remember what it was called. Reminded me of Countdown from Reach, only with mancannons on the outside. The second was CTF on Ragnarok. I tried using the Mantis right away, and spent the first half of the match crab walking back and forth behind our base on defense. No one approached, but I didn't get any kills. As soon as I ditched the Mantis the other team swarmed on us and won handily. I did terrible that game. Like 5 kills and 15 deaths. I was amazed on killcam, where it seemed opponents never missed. I can't compete with these kids who've put so much time into the game already. SWAT was fine because I'm good with headshots, but if I miss a shot during a duel I'm already gone. Might as well stop trying.

I didn't like Ragnarok as much as the other map, but I was never a huge fan of Valhalla anyway. Not sure why.

the banshee has always been a stupid vehicle, it's not the least bit of fun to fly
If I had my way it'd be fast and maneuverable, with better plasma cannons, but the fuel rod would only work by lock-on to other vehicles (similar to how rockets lock on banshees, but without a dumb-fire mode).

LowParry

That feeling when you destroy a team with assault rifles and find various mlg avatars in their profiles. sogood

Dude. I've had a few games like this where it was a team of 4 and it was me and my friend and two randoms. Usually me and my friend will carry the team but after you see who you're up against with those mlg tags, it's like Christmas all over again. Completely agree on that good feeling man. So so good.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I just read this week's update, why didn't I realize these playlists were rotational? SWAT wasn't going to stay? Snipers isn't going to stay? What the fuck? I want to play these gametypes whenever I want.

Way to piss me off AGAIN.

Petrie

Banned
I just read this week's update, why didn't I realize these playlists were rotational? SWAT wasn't going to stay? Snipers isn't going to stay? What the fuck? I want to play these gametypes whenever I want.

Way to piss me off AGAIN.

Hasn't Halo always done this?

It's weird how Infection was like the rarest even for Halo 3 and now it's rightfully standard. Took 'em so many games to understand.

..and yet I don't understand why there's no BTB Objective.

Yep.

BTB and the BTB maps themselves are getting so under utilised.

I would prefer BTB to be 100 percent objective, that's what it thrives on.

Hopefully, 343 realise this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
"YOUR FLAG TAKEN"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"FLAG DEFENCE"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"

Give me a mute option, 343.

FyreWulff

Yes, but some of those temporary playlists have evolved into something now considered a constant in the multiplayer environment. SWAT and Snipers are a part of that. They should not be temporary.

If every playlist people wanted to be around permanently were actually be permanent, Halo would have like 50 playlists.

The rotational thing makes more sense if they wish to keep the game streamlined with playlist selection (and if it continues to be one playlist = one gametype). By treating as "something you've GOT to play while it's here", then more people will play it each time it's around rather than just becoming another slot and the population starts dwindling as it competes with an ever growing number of playlists.

It also allows more agile updates as a playlist takes time off, they can make changes and additions to it then bring it back with less pushback than if they let it linger for 5 months then finally come back around to it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
If every playlist people wanted to be around permanently were actually be permanent, Halo would have like 50 playlists.

The rotational thing makes more sense if they wish to keep the game streamlined with playlist selection (and if it continues to be one playlist = one gametype). By treating as "something you've GOT to play while it's here", then more people will play it each time it's around rather than just becoming another slot and the population starts dwindling as it competes with an ever growing number of playlists.

It also allows more agile updates as a playlist takes time off, they can make changes and additions to it then bring it back with less pushback than if they let it linger for 5 months then finally come back around to it.

I'm making an argument for SWAT and Snipers only. There's room in Halo for at least one specialized weapon playlist to remain present at all times when the standard sandbox / loadouts become tiresome. And Flood is not the answer.

"YOUR FLAG TAKEN"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"FLAG DEFENCE"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"
"KILL THEIR CARRIER"
"PROTECT YOUR FLAG"

Give me a mute option, 343.

..and people complained about "FLAG TAKEN" / "FLAG DROPPED" lol

So, Boltshot nerf is more or less guaranteed? I'm guessing that a lot of the community is complaining about it. Shame. It's one of the few things in the game that I'm pretty damn good with, but yeah, it probably is a tad overpowered; or is it? I don't even know anymore.

Petrie

Banned
So, Boltshot nerf is more or less guaranteed? I'm guessing that a lot of the community is complaining about it. Shame. It's one of the few things in the game that I'm pretty damn good with, but yeah, it probably is a tad overpowered; or is it? I don't even know anymore.

What's the deal with the bolt shot?

Hmm...I have every achievement possible in Halo 4 and Waypoint thinks I have done nothing for the game. And I did everything online as well...all the achievements have a time stamp. Is this is the same for other people?

Hasn't Halo always done this?

They've done it the past few games now. It makes no sense to me. 343/Bungie: "Whooaaaa! We're overwhelmed by the positive response to the sniper and SWAT playlists, so much so that we're making them permanent! Nevermind that this outcome was obvious simply by looking at the playlist population numbers of the previous games, it actually looks like we're listening to the community this way!"

SWAT and snipers have been huge since Halo 2. Dunno why they aren't regular playlists for each release by now.

GrizzNKev

Banned
They've done it the past few games now. It makes no sense to me. 343/Bungie: "Whooaaaa! We're overwhelmed by the positive response to the sniper and SWAT playlists, so much so that we're making them permanent! Nevermind that this outcome was obvious simply by looking at the playlist population numbers of the previous games, it actually looks like we're listening to the community this way!"

SWAT and snipers have been huge since Halo 2. Dunno why they aren't regular playlists for each release by now.

Exactly. They've always been extremely popular. Why aren't they permanent?

Petrie

Banned
Exactly. They've always been extremely popular. Why aren't they permanent?

Probably because if gives them things to add and play with to get continued interest.

I feel like this has been tested by Bungie long enough that they have a formula that works in that regard and stick to it.

Are the killicams going to be fixed anytime soon? They were ok the first day, but after that it seems like the person that killed me shot like 10 feet away from my body and kills me! Wtf! I want to see my movements and their shot placements to learn damn it!

FyreWulff

I'm making an argument for SWAT and Snipers only. There's room in Halo for at least one specialized weapon playlist to remain present at all times when the standard sandbox / loadouts become tiresome. And Flood is not the answer.

Let's just say I have a hunch they're going to prevent the playlist menu from having to scroll if they can help it. Under this new focusd approach, anything under the 'fold' is going to suffer.

Bungie actually had issues with their tree menu in 3 and Reach where people thought a playlist didn't exist because they just A -> A'd into Ranked and didn't see SWAT sitting in the Hardcore category.

Top Bottom