• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I would rather she just actually fight in SpOps. I mean, are you really a Spartan? You have armor and a bad attitude. And you're tall. Hardly heroic

Agreed, I am also not a fan of the mistreatment of Halsey.

Calling her a war criminal, come on now. She made you who you are, show some respect.

Gave you a career with purpose in which you get to be a bad ass.

exYle

Agreed, I am also not a fan of the mistreatment of Halsey.

Calling her a war criminal, come on now. She made you who you are, show some respect.

Gave you a career with purpose in which you get to be a bad ass.

The whole Halsey thing is because ONI's scapegoating her. In fact, I think Thorne will come to empathize with her in the next episode.

And as an NPC she can die, and it affects canon.

HAHAHA really? I figured she was just another invincible NPC. Or maybe like the Arbiter in Halo 3 - rush in, get "killed", and then just pick himself up after all the enemies are dead.

Sarah Palmer hate now? I will fucking cut you. All of you.

Halsey kidnapped kids and conducted invasive and at times fatal experiments on them, and then indoctrinated them to kill, before it was cool. Yeah, great lady there. Love Halsey though, and the way they're handling her character and providing contrast to Cortana.

But Palmer? She's strong, has those "yeah, I work out and could probably kill you 50 ways with my pinky toe" good looks (no monster rack popping out of her armor, no armor-as-g-string action, and no butt shots either), and has the job of keeping dozens of ego-augmented battle bros in line. I take it she's head of security aboard the ship, and not just the Spartans? Regardless, no she shouldn't be on the ground with you in Spartan Ops because those are specifically fireteam Crimson missions. She usually hangs out with Majestic, but leads the whole shindig from orbit.

My favorite thing about Sarah Palmer? When she's in doubt, she kicks things, hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HAHAHA really? I figured she was just another invincible NPC. Or maybe like the Arbiter in Halo 3 - rush in, get "killed", and then just pick himself up after all the enemies are dead.
Nah that's what I'm just hoping for. Let's get some innovation within Spartan Ops!

Tokubetsu

Sarah Palmer hate now? I will fucking cut you. All of you.

Halsey kidnapped kids and conducted invasive and at times fatal experiments on them, and then indoctrinated them to kill, before it was cool. Yeah, great lady there. Love Halsey though, and the way they're handling her character and providing contrast to Cortana.

But Palmer? She's strong, has those "yeah, I work out and could probably kill you 50 ways with my pinky toe" good looks (no monster rack popping out of her armor, no armor-as-g-string action, and no butt shots either), and has the job of keeping dozens of ego-augmented battle bros in line. I take it she's head of security aboard the ship, and not just the Spartans? Regardless, no she shouldn't be on the ground with you in Spartan Ops because those are specifically fireteam Crimson missions. She usually hangs out with Majestic, but leads the whole shindig from orbit.

My favorite thing about Sarah Palmer? When she's in doubt, she kicks things, hard.

Yup. Thing we have to keep in mind too is that a lot of the stuff we know (from expanded universe book stuff to even shit in a few of these campaigns) is stuff most of these characters like Sarah Palmer have no idea about. It's all highly classified shit. Sarah is ignorant, but you can't fault her. She just wants to bring Crimston team hope in one piece.

<3

So I played the game through, on Heroic, but never connected to Live. Played some co-op at someone elses house, and now that I finally connect to Live on my own system it syncs with THAT god damned system. So I've lost all cleared missions locally, the only one cleared is one mission I did in co-op.

What a stupid ass system.

Tzeentch

-- Palmer's lines during Spartan Ops are cringe-inducing. The worst was the Mantis mission with her "Don't bore me with facts."

-- She sounds like she's trying WAY too hard. Officers like her that talk tough but are just office jockeys just get laughed at behind their back., I mean really, why is she wearing her battle armor just to walk from the bridge to the comm station all day?

exYle

What a divisive topic.

Anyways, I followed someone's advice (it was more like a warning hidden in a complaint) and completed the monthly challenge right after midnight, so I wouldn't hit the XP cap. Turns out the monthly is worth just about what the XP cap is, and I gotta wait until midnight tonight to get more XP, hahahaha.

Turns out the monthly is worth just about what the XP cap is, and I gotta wait until midnight tonight to get more XP, hahahaha.
That is ludicrous. The daily cap is at least 120,000 XP, if not more. It took roughly 6 hours of continuous play for me to hit it with all my matches earning double XP, and I wasn't counting commendations (the game doesn't tally them in the postgame report).

exYle

That is ludicrous. The daily cap is at least 120,000 XP, if not more. It took roughly 6 hours of continuous play for me to hit it with all my matches earning double XP, and I wasn't counting commendations (the game doesn't tally them in the postgame report).

I dunno what to tell you! I got my monthly and then nothing after, and I played a couple of matches.

Fuchsdh

From my experience (SR46 or so now) the time in between matches is still minuscule. I'm in the post-game screen still and they're already voting for a map.

What's causing y'all to have so much difficulty? It's never taken me more than 30s to get into any lobby, on average faster than any other Halo game. What's your NAT?

No, no, you're doing it wrong. People's crappy multiplayer experiences are never the fault of their own poor networking settings. It's always the games.

I hope for Halo 5 they don't even bother with player models. Just Mantis all day, everyday.

3 Things I love About Halo 4:
1. Mantis
2. Mantis
3. Mantis'
4. Sarah Palmer

Halo 4 Cons:
Not enough Mantis
Why isn't the Mantis on every map?
People who blow up my mantis
Not enough Mantis in singleplayer

i'd go for a mantis themed game mode over christmas weekend, would be a laugh.

I'll post it again, as it was overlooked by bitching about Palmer:
I have a question. Hopefully it can be answered here. I tried to download some screenshots and Maps, but every time I get : No files found. Is there something I have to unlock in order to browse content or is there some restrictions on my game?
Is that file browsing only available for LE users? Do I need the Season Pass to use it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'll post it again, as it was overlooked by bitching about Palmer:
The devs dropped the ball super hard and the file browser is completely nonfunctional until an undisclosed date in December.

The only way to get files is to manually search for specific gamertags, or stuff your friends have selected to "recommend."

i'd go for a mantis themed game mode over christmas weekend, would be a laugh.
Hell yes. Give them little santa hats too ;P

I'm still trying to come to terms with the mantis. Its a beast at taking out vehicles and those rockets can obliterate spartans that bunch up in crevices between rocks, but the machinegun just doesn't satisfy except at dangerously close ranges (close enough to get EMP'd or jacked). But it can be useful for long range harassment fire and provided there are team members helping with your targets, its incredible for racking up assists.

Still haven't gotten natural with the rocket timing yet though.

Crazyorloco

I have a crappy internet provider (they have wireless modems only) and get awful ping and internet speeds during the day. I play late nights and during off peak hours when my ping is low and internet is faster and I have not had any major issues in matchmaking (other than occasional lag). I think 343 has done a good job in this regard.

I still love the game Weeks after launch. I like ordnances and feel they add to the gameplay rather than subtract. They make me more cautious when approaching opponents, I have to think a little more. I also feel they aren't over powered in the way Call of duty's killstreaks are. You're not going to get plus 10 kills for doing nothing. If I ever get tired of ordnances (and I haven't) ill play the other playlists.

I love how playlists don't force you to play objective based games like previous halos. I love the game. For those with issues, I would wait a bit for patches the game is still new. I'm having a great time with the game. I can't wait to play tonight.

Hell yes. Give them little santa hats too ;P

I'm still trying to come to terms with the mantis. Its a beast at taking out vehicles and those rockets can obliterate spartans that bunch up in crevices between rocks, but the machinegun just doesn't satisfy except at dangerously close ranges (close enough to get EMP'd or jacked). But it can be useful for long range harassment fire and provided there are team members helping with your targets, its incredible for racking up assists.

Still haven't gotten natural with the rocket timing yet though.

Same here I find the main cannon only good to scare people more then kill

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, you're doing it wrong. People's crappy multiplayer experiences are never the fault of their own poor networking settings. It's always the games.

Well, in between 3 and 4 my connection only improved. Quite drastically so even, and still 3 and Reach had much lesser instances of extreme lag popping up in games. It had its fair share of black screens but not much crazy teleporting at all.

Marco1

I thought it was my console but I've narrowed it down to disc one of my H4 limited edition.
Does anyone have an issue with disc one causing their console to vibrate and be extremely loud when loading?

The devs dropped the ball super hard and the file browser is completely nonfunctional until an undisclosed date in December.

The only way to get files is to manually search for specific gamertags, or stuff your friends have selected to "recommend."

How did they manage to fuck that up? Thanks for the information.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Mine does that as well. It's only at the start, after that it's quiet.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I installed the disc after the first time it happened, but to no avail.

The more I use the carbine (to get ranks up for that weapon) the more it sucks, no matter what range it's the weakest rifle by far, still it makes a change from using the DMR all the damn time.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I haven't been playing since before launch (long story), but I loved what I played of H4. I'm now finally able to get on and play, and came here to read some current impressions... and man, it sounds like we'd be great friends, lol. How you feel about Halo is exactly the sentiment I share when I discuss why I enjoyed Halo 2 so much online.

Halo has never been about a random UAV in the air or a perk or a care package. It's never been about unlocking a better weapon. It's never been about the oodles of other variables. Instead, each team was given the exact same batch of tools for their disposal, and at the beginning of each round everyone had to work together and rush for the same power weapons in the same locations from the same distance.

Put two great teams against each other, and you could almost always count on an intense several minutes of sudden death at the end. Capture the Flag often came down to careful hiding to pause the clock and immense teamwork to just ever so slightly out-play the opposing team.

I look forward to playing online; but from your impressions, it sounds like you liked the series for the same reason I did, and I'm sad to hear that's been changed.

The only incentive I have to continue playing is to watch a bar fill and numbers go up. Currently at SR54.

The only thing that will allow me to start having fun with this game is a playlist that
- removes sprint
- removes instant respawn
- removes ordinance
- fixes fast weapon despawn time
- removes loadouts
- adds map weapon spawns that are static and predictable

Normally I'd be ok with sprint but it is not limited enough and ruins the flow of the game. Make it like it was in Reach or remove it entirely.

Only then can we know that the winner of a game was truly the better team.

Man you Halo diehards must have played with very communicative players because I have NEVER, ever in all my years playing Halo MP, played with people who communicated and valued teamwork

It was one of the key ingredients in turning the game from fun to frustrating.

Crazyorloco

The only thing that will allow me to start having fun with this game is
a playlist that
- removes sprint
- removes ordinance
- removes loadouts
Damn...you haven't started having any fun yet? And you're at SR54? I would've given up a long time ago. The older halos fit your style of play. I love this game.

exYle

The only incentive I have to continue playing is to watch a bar fill and numbers go up. Currently at SR54.

The only thing that will allow me to start having fun with this game is a playlist that
- removes sprint
- removes ordinance
- removes loadouts

Normally I'd be ok with sprint but it is not limited enough and ruins the flow of the game. Make it like it was in Reach or remove it entirely.

Only then can we know that the winner of a game was truly the better team.

Are you a masochist?

stktt

Banned
The more I use the carbine (to get ranks up for that weapon) the more it sucks, no matter what range it's the weakest rifle by far, still it makes a change from using the DMR all the damn time.

Use the Light Rifle!

And if I brought it to school with me I'd be playing it. I just don't understand why Halo 4, the sequel to Halo 3, can't exist with the same concept of balance. At least in one playlist. Just one.

What about if Slayer Pro was modified to include traditional spawning and weapon placement?

TrounceX

And if I brought it to school with me I'd be playing it. I just don't understand why Halo 4, the sequel to Halo 3, can't exist with the same concept of balance. At least in one playlist. Just one.

Don't worry, I've been playtesting the upcoming MLG settings. There's still hope for this game. Once the MLG playlist comes out and the ranking system drops everything will be ok.

We just have to hold on until then.

Top Bottom