• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

GrizzNKev

Banned
Don't worry, I've been playtesting the upcoming MLG settings. There's still hope for this game. Once the MLG playlist comes out and the ranking system drops everything will be ok.

We just have to hold on until then.

Yeah, I haven't given up on Halo 4 because I know how good it can be. I'm just frustrated that they seem to have made no effort to appeal to the people who liked the multiplayer of the previous games. It's not about getting over the changes when all it takes is flipping a few switches behind the scenes to bring that appeal back.

FyreWulff

Yeah no, I'd rather MLG be in direct control of the gametypes and settings.

So you want a playlist that's entirely controlled by one guy at the MLG offices and is only updated as long as MLG has an event coming up with Halo in it, and doesn't let their community actually contribute to it's content.

A company that gets their own playlist then throws the game aside for other games does not need a free advertisement in the Halo 4 online experience.

How about we have a neutral Team Hardcore playlist that MLG can be one of many consultants on, so it can receive updates regularly and won't be left to die. Instead of arbitrarily deciding that This Is Hardcore Halo settings, we can actually start with a base setting and see how things go and actually evolve/discuss the settings over the months.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The only incentive I have to continue playing is to watch a bar fill and numbers go up. Currently at SR54.

The only thing that will allow me to start having fun with this game is a playlist that
- removes sprint
- removes instant respawn
- removes ordinance
- fixes fast weapon despawn time
- removes loadouts
- adds map weapon spawns that are static and predictable

Normally I'd be ok with sprint but it is not limited enough and ruins the flow of the game. Make it like it was in Reach or remove it entirely.

Only then can we know that the winner of a game was truly the better team.

It was one of the key ingredients in turning the game from fun to frustrating.

Halo 3 is over 4 years old bruh.

MrDaravon

Halo 3 has serious population issues though; I went back to it a few months back and there was only a couple thousand people on, and it was quitters and blackscreens all over the place. Outside of probably CoD, previous entries in any series on XBL are pretty much dead.

nib95

Banned
No, I just want to play a skill-based, balanced multiplayer game.

Annoys me when people claim something lacks skill because they don't like it. Which usually implies they're bad at it. If you dislike pretty much all the fundamental new changes, why not just play one of the other Halo's?

TrounceX

So you want a playlist that's entirely controlled by one guy at the MLG offices and is only updated as long as MLG has an event coming up with Halo in it, and doesn't let their community actually contribute to it's content.

That's not how it works at all...

Whatever though, I'm not really interested in having this debate.

All I wanted to say here is that the settings being tested at MLG address most of the problems people are having with the game. I was pleasantly surprised and had a blast testing them out. That is all. Peace.

My #1 gripe with the multiplayer: Calling in ordnance and having to play hide and seek to find it. Either it pops up close to where I'm pointing as usual, otherwise it picks some random spot (sometimes even a decent ways behind me) , with no icon on the HUD to find it.

It sucks to call in an incinerator cannon, only to have the game pull one of these bugs, which more often then not ends up giving the other team a nice gift.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Annoys me when people claim something lacks skill because they don't like it. Which usually implies they're bad at it. If you dislike pretty much all the fundamental new changes, why not just play one of the other Halo's?

I think I explained pretty well the influence of randomness and skill. If the only way you can feel better about yourself is by calling me bad at the game then I'm sorry. The perfection I got in my first night ever of matchmaking and the +21 I got last night say otherwise.

I play Halo 4 rather than 3 because I want to play the game my entire friends list is playing, and because it is populated. It still has a chance to give me what I want from the game.

FyreWulff

That's not how it works at all...

Actually, that's exactly how it works. MLG submits their updates, and unless you're the person at MLG that has the ability to do so, no new content goes into the playlist.

This has resulted in tons of content created to expand the MLG playlist being ignored and the playlist stagnating because the tournaments for the game at their event is no more.

Yet you feel they deserve a playlist in yet another game under their complete control.

MLG can submit whatever settings they feel like - but they have to go under the same considerations every other playlist does. Let the smaller, more active, more actually cares about Halo leagues get a shot at contributing to a hardcore playlist.

MrDaravon

During Thanksgiving weekend? Not to make any excuses for Halo 4, but I figured people would be playing games a little less at this time. At least for those of us who aren't kids.

Thanksgiving weekend is usually busier because all the kids are out of school though. There was around 120k people on last night when I looked, but I have no idea what population on any other games was like so I don't know if it was down overall or not.

nib95

Banned
I think I explained pretty well the influence of randomness and skill. If the only way you can feel better about yourself is by calling me bad at the game then I'm sorry.

I play Halo 4 rather than 3 because I want to play the game my entire friends list is playing, and because it is populated. It still has a chance to give me what I want from the game.

So do they dislike the things you mentioned or are they all also video game masochists? If you all dislike such fundamental changes and want essentially more of the last, just play that instead. Nothing saying you and your buddies have to play this newest one.

GrizzNKev

Banned
So do they dislike the things you mentioned or are they all also video game masochists? If you all dislike such fundamental changes and want essentially more of the last, just play that instead. Nothing saying you and your buddies have to play this newest one.

Can you chill out with the accusations?

I think there's room for Halo 4 to accommodate both the new and the old. Some people like what I like and some people don't. If we could separate it between playlists, which is kind of the point of them existing, then I can enjoy all of the nice graphics and audio of the new game while still playing what I like to play.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can someone tell me what this 'teammate' thing is? I have heard of them yet i have yet to see one.

its pretty illusive, but i tend to see teammates when i get double teamed 2 on 1. i have heard rumors that teammates can be on your side too though.

def sim

Thanksgiving weekend is usually busier because all the kids are out of school though. There was around 120k people on last night when I looked, but I have no idea what population on any other games was like so I don't know if it was down overall or not.

Yeah, I probably do have it backwards. Since party chat, I just assume everyone online is in their 20's.

Tzeentch

-- Population is looking pretty bad this soon after game release. Not that I'm terribly surprised, what with the rather .... dubious design decisions. As long as Spartan Ops groups fill though, I'm good :)
-- I really can't help but feel the game was crunched out just to try and beat BLOPS2.

def sim

Halo is at 170k population right now. I haven't a clue if that's low in comparison to BLOPS 2, but isn't that par for the course for a Halo game? I seriously doubt the design changes are detrimental to that considering the competitive scene is a complete minority in a major game like Halo.

Why does this game keep erasing my loadout?This is about the fifth time I get in game and the only thing that's actually not erased is my primary weapon. WTF?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-- Population is looking pretty bad this soon after game release. Not that I'm terribly surprised, what with the rather .... dubious design decisions. As long as Spartan Ops groups fill though, I'm good :)
-- I really can't help but feel the game was crunched out just to try and beat BLOPS2.

Worry less about the population unless it's causing you issues and more about playing a game you prefer.

I'm anti Sarah Palmer and Paransky because I'm a Halsey/spartan II fan. I cringe every time I hear "war criminal" coments about Halsey. I truely hope that the story turns around in Halseys favor soon.

You know, if you think about it Halsey is no different from the didact,
forcibly stealing the humanity from a group of unwilling participants in order to make a more efficient war machine. Master Chief is functionally not much different from a promethian knight.

CyReN

TrounceX, FyreWulff is correct. No control = problem. If the game isn't picked up the playlist will either get removed since it's outdated or population goes down because of that reason.

forcibly stealing the humanity from a group of unwilling participants in order to make a more efficient war machine. Master Chief is functionally not much different from a promethian knight.

But they villainize her and make it out like she ALONE did it... there were plenty involved in the kidnapping and stuff.

Tokubetsu

But they villainous her and make it out like she ALONE did it... there were plenty involved in the kidnapping and stuff.

But Sarah Palmer or no one else there know that/the others involved and Halsey is the only one ONI is scapegoating. Like I said earlier, most of the stuff we know is classified for all these other characters. Which is probably exactly why Halsey isn't all pissed all the time when they mouth off. They're ignorant.

Stat!

I'm starting to tire of War Games.

They need to go back to Halo 3/Reach of vetoing once. Right now, I play Ragnarok and Exile 95% of the time with Haven being the other 5%. It's painful at this point. Even if I stay in a game, they vote for Ragnarok again. I'm not even sure if I've seen any of the other maps, maybe more than once. Maybe twice?

None of the new maps, IMO, are as memorable or as good as Halo 3. Even Reach had many great maps while I think 3 had fantastic maps (Save for Isolation). None of these are great or memorable. There's just something about it. I wonder if it has to do with non-static ordinance. I mean, Im not a fan of ordinance but I don't hate. Would I prefer static weapon spawns? Probably. Something to be said about rocket spawn or laser being up.

I also got my loadouts erased. I guess I'm looking forward to party playlists/grifball though to mix things up as I just dislike the" let's go Ragnarok." To me, I'm enjoying it, but its certainly not the best Halo I've played. It's a very solid game and a few minor tweaks (no we don't have to be MLG but people can't spawn with a shotgun (boltshot)).

exYle

They need to go back to Halo 3/Reach of vetoing once. Right now, I play Ragnarok and Exile 95% of the time with Haven being the other 5%. It's painful at this point. Even if I stay in a game, they vote for Ragnarok again. I'm not even sure if I've seen any of the other maps, maybe more than once. Maybe twice?

None of the new maps, IMO, are as memorable or as good as Halo 3. Even Reach had many great maps while I think 3 had fantastic maps (Save for Isolation). None of these are great or memorable. There's just something about it. I wonder if it has to do with non-static ordinance. I mean, Im not a fan of ordinance but I don't hate. Would I prefer static weapon spawns? Probably. Something to be said about rocket spawn or laser being up.

I also got my loadouts erased. I guess I'm looking forward to party playlists/grifball though to mix things up as I just dislike the" let's go Ragnarok." To me, I'm enjoying it, but its certainly not the best Halo I've played. It's a very solid game and a few minor tweaks (no we don't have to be MLG but people can't spawn with a shotgun (boltshot)).

Wat

Really? I thought Reach easily had the WEAKEST levels by far. And the whole forge world stuff as filler ticked me off.

This game has some good maps... solace, adrift, and abandon are all top notch in my books. Only one i hate is Complex - way too many buildings.

FyreWulff

Speed boost is so weird. I don't even remember it being discussed pre-launch. It's just kind of there, wasn't in a previous Halo in any form, and after trying it a couple of times, not really interested in choosing it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

That's an interesting thought. In reality, the morals of Halsey are essentially whatever must be done for the greater goods, the ends justify the means. I don't agree with what Halsey has done and she should be tried for her efforts eventually. She manages to be one of my favorite characters because she did heinous experiments on children, because she still cares for those children, and because her character isn't a strictly good or evil character. She has debth. Unlike Palmer.

Also, Halo 4 really needs ranked and unranked. The leveling system is nice and all but the ranked games should have a leveling system based on true skill like Halo 3.

I love mostly all of Halo 3s maps. I still remember them all fondly. I played Reach just as much and remember 2...

I feel like 4 has some 3 levels and some Reach levels. More 3 than Reach so I am having a great time.

It is harder to love the levels as much with there not breing any weapon spawns. No more, "They're at rocks!!!", or, "Check invis!". It gave the maps so much more personality? I can't think of the word I want at 2 AM.

Dirtbag

It is harder to love the levels as much with there not breing any weapon spawns. No more, "They're at rocks!!!", or, "Check invis!". It gave the maps so much more personality? I can't think of the word I want at 2 AM.

Yeah, callouts are hurting badly and the removal of "1-shot on my X" is yet another aspect.
I like the maps we have, but not having choke points and I really miss things like 1-flag on High Ground / Zanzibar. I guess the x is removed now that you instantly respawn.

I really can't wait to see how MLG plays out, as I love the gunplay in 4, but the gameplay just feels casual for me and lacks excitement. No tension.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yeah, callouts are hurting badly and the removal of "1-shot on my X" is yet another aspect.
I like the maps we have, but not having choke points and I really miss things like 1-flag on High Ground / Zanzibar. I guess the x is removed now that you instantly respawn.

I really can't wait to see how MLG plays out, as I love the gunplay in 4, but the gameplay just feels casual for me and lacks excitement. No tension.

I've used these exact words to describe the game before. Here's to hoping for better playlists soon.

Pooya

played Halo 3 a bit to see how I feel now; after 3 years or so. last time I played was around ODST release.

played the Ark and the Covenant. still really awesome, graphics are really bad now though and cutscenes are bad too but the game plays like a dream, makes me even more disappointed in Halo 4 campaign. There isn't even a single remotely as exciting area in Halo 4. and there are so many enemies on the huge levels, lots of different weapons scattered on map, much better enemy variety, very good vehicle encounters. 4 had none of these unfortunately. I didn't played Reach much, didn't like that game at all, don't care about it to go back and compare. 4 is really better than that in pretty much everything.

played a match, there were like 10k people online :\ . Multiplayer maps look really really ugly now :x Halo 4 is like a generation ahead. Not having sprint feels weird >.>

menus and UI look really outdated too but functionality is still more than Halo 4 somewhat. Obviously it plays very differently. Really guns feel a lot better in 4 but the matches play more strategically and you can actually observe and think even. Halo 4 is very chaotic in comparison.

I'm pretty bored of maps in Halo 4 already, had enough I think. The game isn't bad but feels a bit undercooked with some missing features and questionable design choices. I actually like all the new additions from load outs to ordnance. The thing that really bothered me was weapons disappearing very very fast and spawning, specially in SWAT sometimes, really bad spawning and instant spawns so much that I killed the same guy twice in a very short time or got killed by the guy I just killed. :\

Will get back to the game when I get map packs I think, maybe things are different then, had enough fun for now.

TheOddOne

I'm pretty bored of maps in Halo 4 already, had enough I think. The game isn't bad but feels a bit undercooked with some missing features and questionable design choices. I actually like all the new additions from load outs to ordnance. The thing that really bothered me was weapons disappearing very very fast and spawning, specially in SWAT sometimes, really bad spawning and instant spawns so much that I killed the same guy twice in a very short time or got killed by the guy I just killed. :\
Yeah, I can totally see why people would be bored by the map selection so far. Mostly down to users who keep picking the same maps over and over. Some maps never get enough time to shine, recently discoverd this with Vortex. I really like it and wish people would vote for it more. Thanks god that Exile and Longbow still get decent play, such fantastic maps.

New map pack save us! Still don't know how much a dent 3 new maps will make.

Top Bottom