• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Insaniac

You do realize the game has only been out for three weeks, right?

Whats your point? I invested my time into earning that challenge so why should I be punished just because one of those days I hit the EXP cap? Especially for the fact that the game NEVER notified me that I had hit that cap

GamerSoul

Whats your point? I invested my time into earning that challenge so why should I be punished just because one of those days I hit the EXP cap? Especially for the fact that the game NEVER notified me that I had hit that cap

Yea they should atleast notify you if you hit the cap.

And I like Palmer. She IS in command of Crimson so I dont get all the hate when she gives you orders.

it has been mentioned that 343I/MS sends out codes for additional specializations to all players who have been active in the last weeks.

hmm, that's different. thanks for the reply

Ricker

Getting pretty sick of solo campaigns not adjusting the number of ennemies,making seem like you are playiing co-op or something...this game is a huge make it to next checkpoint to push this button will killing less as you can because they just keep coming like the fucking COD closets...I'm in chapter 7 now and I have to reach the shield button but there is no many ennemies to kill it's ridiculous...oh and the clone power is useless and thats the one I am stuck with now...am I missing something or are you able to choose which one of those to use? the Sentry would be so much better where I am now...anyway gave up for the night after countless deaths trying to reach that activate Shield portion...

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yea they should atleast notify you if you hit the cap.

And I like Palmer. She IS in command of Crimson so I dont get all the hate when she gives you orders.

hmm, that's different. thanks for the reply

I don't mind her saying Crimson. But for a prominent character she has no depth or personality. She is an annoyance in my ear.

GamerSoul

I don't mind her saying Crimson. But for a prominent character she has no depth or personality. She is an annoyance in my ear.

Maybe we'll see more from her in the episodes to come, after all it did take Chief awhile. I do understand how she seems a bit one dimensional right now, but I wouldn't expect anything else for a soldier who has been through as much as she has been, iirc. I can definitely see them making her more dynamic down the line with her scenarios with Hasley or something.

This.

I hate all of these so called Spartan IVs. They are not Spartans, but I think they were written to be dislikeable to show what it means to be the real thing and not a wannabe.

Hah I thought I was only one.

Ive read all novels.

Despise these "spartans" (they really arent). Spartan IVs are a joke. Palmer needs to die swiftly.

stktt

Banned
Is there a way to navigate Solace that doesn't involve running against crates and pillars that cover half the map?

Vehicle combat is dead :(

I haven't had any issues with getting kills with vehicles. You're no longer able to dominate an entire game with a banshee or get 20+ kills with one warthog, but they work fine as a supplement to your team. The wheelman mod also helps out tremendously.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Maybe we'll see more from her in the episodes to come, after all it did take Chief awhile. I do understand how she seems a bit one dimensional right now, but I wouldn't expect anything else for a soldier who has been through as much as she has been, iirc. I can definitely see them making her more dynamic down the line with her scenarios with Hasley or something.
Well they better do it soon or add some adversity that actually affects her. Not sure how much longer a personality-less stereotypical hardass woman in power I can take before I fall asleep. Being high ranking in a military structure restricts things a bit I understand, but it would've been better if she was a complete dick and withheld info from you or made things harder for you OR she had a humorous element to it all.

GrizzNKev

Banned
After watching that episode of Social Skirmish it's so incredibly clear how broken this game is. I had so many complaints and they covered things I wasn't even aware of. 343 fix your game please.

GamerSoul

Well they better do it soon or add some adversity that actually affects her. Not sure how much longer a personality-less stereotypical hardass woman in power I can take before I fall asleep. Being high ranking in a military structure restricts things a bit I understand, but it would've been better if she was a complete dick and withheld info from you or made things harder for you OR she had a humorous element to it all.

Imo, I think her laidback attitude about taking out hoards and hoards of enemies adds a bit of humor to it all but I do agree she is, at this point, very cut and dry. I also think there will very well be some adversity that affects her. They are just starting to realize what they are getting themselves into on Requiem, and the only person that might have a good chance of helping them is a war criminal in her eyes.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Imo, I think her laidback attitude about taking out hoards and hoards of enemies adds a bit of humor to it all but I do agree she is, at this point, very cut and dry. I also think there will very well be some adversity that affects her. They are just starting to realize what they are getting themselves into on Requiem, and the only person that might have a good chance of helping them is a war criminal in her eyes.

She's not, it's just a combination of bad writing and bad mission design. Her character doesn't seem to have any awareness of what's actually going on.

FyreWulff

So the most popular game type at the moment has 4 maps. 4 MAPS! Jesus every Halo, big team gets fucked.

That's almost half the maps the game has on-disc.

Halo 1 - 2 (Blood Gulch, Sidewinder)

Halo 2 - 3 (Coagulation, Waterworks, Headlong)

Halo 3 - 2 (Sandtrap, Valhalla)

Reach - 2 (Boneyard, Spire)

Halo 4 - 4 (Vortex, Complex, Longbow, Ragnarok)

BTB support shows up in DLC and that's partly because BTB maps tend to be less flexible for use in other team sizes, so it'd be a poor choice to load up the disc with mostly BTB maps.

stktt

Banned
That's almost half the maps the game has on-disc.

Halo 1 - 2 (Blood Gulch, Sidewinder)

Halo 3 - 2 (Sandtrap, Valhalla)

Reach - 2 (Boneyard, Spire)

Halo 4 - 4 (Vortex, Complex, Longbow, Ragnarok)

BTB support shows up in DLC and that's partly because BTB maps tend to be less flexible for use in other team sizes, so it'd be a poor choice to load up the disc with mostly BTB maps.

What about Exile?

It's just not enough to keep me around. Never mind there is only one game type. Argh! I'm angry because I love the mode so much but I feel it gets shafted.

Sean

Banned

I'm fairly certain Halo 2 had more maps in BTB. There was Colossus and Burial Mounds and Zanzibar at launch (with Terminal, Containment, etc via DLC).

After that it seems like they stopped caring about BTB.

GamerSoul

I'm personally surprised BTB is getting so much love. It's not that popular around my circle so I usually play it myself and I usually have fun. It could use 1 Flag capture or something though.

She's not, it's just a combination of bad writing and bad mission design. Her character doesn't seem to have any awareness of what's actually going on.

Heh, I see your point but I don't take it that way. The writing could be better but I've learned to work with what they give us. In what sense does she not know what's going on? In the actual battles Crimson is a part of? I think she knows what's going on but her personality is just nonchalant about it.

Hey You said:
Why isn't she out in the field with Crimson? Like Carter with Noble

lol good question. I guess she relays messages back and fourth to all the teams on Requiem so she needs to stay at command to make sure troops go where there needed, where to bring reinforcments, ammo, and what not.

Well, it seemed like maybe she was more concerned about Lasky getting disintegrated by the artifact than you would expect. Probably has a thing for him. So she has some characterization.

Pooya

King of the Hill games in Haven are pretty intense. Complex? man, this map sucks for King, really, same goes for Ragnarok. small maps work much better.

nbraun80

Cross posting from the other thread but we The Halo Council recently did a episode of "Social Skirmish" going over a lot of the issues in Halo 4.
eh, didn't listen to it all, it got way too whiny for me. Honestly I think the UI is just fine, and if you want to see a bad one go try BO2. Also, some guns are too powerful, but the mech, it's weak and would be better off if it was overpowered. Yeah ok, then it'd just be on your list of complaints.

The part about the spawns is pretty dumb too. Sorry the game doesn't spawn people right in front of you when you push into their spawn? What if you were on the other end of that spawn trap, it's way better to be spawned away from the people raining death on you then spawned back into that.

Oh and the DMR is too powerful at range, and shoots like a laser, but the flinch that makes you not shoot like a laser, that should be removed. nice!

Mik2121

Man... this fucking game surely knows how to piss you off sometimes... which is something that, surprisingly, has barely happened to me in other games like COD...

Anyway, decided to play some CTF and the game threw me into this game that was already 4-0... with my team losing. Oh well, big deal right? I try to play and almost get some flags, half my team is idle... whatever, par for the course in this game.

I leave the room after the game is over because, well, my team is fucking idle, and decide to enter another game... 4-0, my team losing AGAIN.

Yep, as soon as I saw that, I said "FUCK YOU" out loud and left the room, lol. Fucking Halo 4, goddamn...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuck me, I thought 'let's do some campaign challenges' and I needed to do both something with tilt on heroic or harder and the level which name I forget but it's the first time you meet promethean nights on legendary. Thought I would be awesome and just do the legendary run with tilt on.

Well it turns out with a full magazine for both the AR and the magnum, you can't use both of those to take down 1 promethean night with that setup. Best I did was kill all the crawlers and that stupid fucking flying thing, then got weapons empty on the promethean night. Best I could do was then scavenge a boltshot and try to full charge bolt shot him to death, which also results in weapons empty.

I gave up a tilt legendary run after that. my god it was impossible

eso76

I love starting a game of regicide and discover everyone left and it's just me versus another guy.

Actually this can make for incredibly exciting moments; I'm not too strong in head to head confrontation so I'd just stay in the shadow and wait for the right time to strike, not revealing my position with a less than lethal attack.

Too bad I get a huge red arrow on my head after the first attack :/

Roq12

Neo Member
fuck me, I thought 'let's do some campaign challenges' and I needed to do both something with tilt on heroic or harder and the level which name I forget but it's the first time you meet promethean nights on legendary. Thought I would be awesome and just do the legendary run with tilt on.

Well it turns out with a full magazine for both the AR and the magnum, you can't use both of those to take down 1 promethean night with that setup. Best I did was kill all the crawlers and that stupid fucking flying thing, then got weapons empty on the promethean night. Best I could do was then scavenge a boltshot and try to full charge bolt shot him to death, which also results in weapons empty.

Just try the Mythic/LASO (Legendary, All Skulls On) difficulty setting. That, good sir, is the pure definition of impossible.

I finished it, added in the IWHBYD and GBP skulls to unlock that "Skullduggery" achievement, too. Best weapon against Prometheans quickly turned out to be Suppressor + Headshot. Even a Scattershot didn't do anything against them, which was really weird.

Why does the game go by a points system to win instead of kills? You need 60 kills in team slayer to win. All the +5 for assists or whatever don't count towards your team score. Is there a purpose for having it be 600 points to win vs. 60 kills or is it just another thing they copied from CoD?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Why does the game go by a points system to win instead of kills? You need 60 kills in team slayer to win. All the +5 for assists or whatever don't count towards your team score. Is there a purpose for having it be 600 points to win vs. 60 kills or is it just another thing they copied from CoD?

You answered your own question. Surely you knew that multiplayer games are only fun if you get ENEMY KILLED +10 in the middle of your screen.

You answered your own question. Surely you knew that multiplayer games are only fun if you get ENEMY KILLED +10 in the middle of your screen.

Ugh, so annoying. Basically all the changes to multiplayer were ripped shamelessly from CoD. You can't really blame them since CoD is far and away the most popular multiplayer game but it stripped out so much of what made Halo, Halo.

Kill cam. Load outs. A stupid leveling system with prestige classes. You only get 2 grenades and can't pick up from dead people unless you have a special perk. Melee seems to have been weakened. Give you access to all weapons and buff the assault rifle. Kill streaks. The points system. Larger levels which weakens melee and grenades even more. Removed the health bars.

Is there a way to navigate Solace that doesn't involve running against crates and pillars that cover half the map?

I haven't had any issues with getting kills with vehicles. You're no longer able to dominate an entire game with a banshee or get 20+ kills with one warthog, but they work fine as a supplement to your team. The wheelman mod also helps out tremendously.

I have to disagree. Two people can dmr a ghost in one clip from farther away than the range of a ghost. Every big team map has incredibly narrow driving corridors that essentially send vehicles to die if there is anyone with a plasma pistol and plasma grenades.

To be honest I'm not even talking about the banshee. Not only that, warthogs, ghosts, and mongooses can't even traverse the default terrain without flipping wildly.

I have no problem with killing the people in the vehicles themselves, its when the vehicles are essentially devoid or any armor plating despite being in the future and super high tech is really frustrating.

nbraun80

Ugh, so annoying. Basically all the changes to multiplayer were ripped shamelessly from CoD. You can't really blame them since CoD is far and away the most popular multiplayer game but it stripped out so much of what made Halo, Halo.

Kill cam. Load outs. A stupid leveling system with prestige classes. You only get 2 grenades and can't pick up from dead people unless you have a special perk. Melee seems to have been weakened. Give you access to all weapons and buff the assault rifle. Kill streaks. The points system. Larger levels which weakens melee and grenades even more. Removed the health bars.

melee is not weaken, ite back to halo 3 style, taking away the health bar helps your melee complaint as well. It takes so many points to get your ordinance, the +10 and plus 5 is just letting you know what you're getting. I'm not going to tackle all of your complaints, but ill just say the apecialsations are like prestiges, and the 'perks' are only slight adjustments and letd you tailor to your playstyle so I don't see it as a big deal. Things change.

I love starting a game of regicide and discover everyone left and it's just me versus another guy.

Actually this can make for incredibly exciting moments; I'm not too strong in head to head confrontation so I'd just stay in the shadow and wait for the right time to strike, not revealing my position with a less than lethal attack.

Too bad I get a huge red arrow on my head after the first attack :/

We definitely need a proper Lone Wolves FFA playlist.

mostly for the worse in the case of halo 4
I think the only thing that really irritates me at this point is that I often stay alive long enough to run out of ammo and am required to scavenge for DMR ammo. Sure, I usually stumble upon ammo or a replacement weapon, but it still doesn't make it any less irritating. I've had a handful of deaths where I wasn't able to fend off enemies simply because I was completely out of ammo. The fishy changes certainly make the game different, but it still feels like Halo to me.

EDIT: Another thing I dislike is the killcam. 90% of the time it doesn't even show an accurate kill. Makes it really pointless to have, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
∀ Narayan;44688344 said:
EDIT: Another thing I dislike is the killcam. 90% of the time it doesn't even show an accurate kill. Makes it really pointless to have, in my opinion.

I never watch it as I have some kind of mental condition where I have to immediately respawn even I wanted to see how I got killed, it's like reaction to hit respawn. I watched a few though and it seems like it doesn't interpret latency or something, most of the kills seem to show the guy shooting where you're not, noticably beside your head etc.

Not too worried about it though, that's probably something they should be able to correct with a patch.

Random games are starting to get me sad a little bit, got into a game and I was doing great on solace, managed to go 18 kills with only a +3 at the end, however I would have done better without the -18 and -9 on my team :( really really noticeable how hard the game is when 2 of your team members are pinatas.

GrizzNKev

Banned
melee is not weaken, ite back to halo 3 style, taking away the health bar helps your melee complaint as well. It takes so many points to get your ordinance, the +10 and plus 5 is just letting you know what you're getting. I'm not going to tackle all of your complaints, but ill just say the apecialsations are like prestiges, and the 'perks' are only slight adjustments and letd you tailor to your playstyle so I don't see it as a big deal. Things change.

Halo isn't about tailoring your playstyle, it's about being better than other people on an even playing field. Halo is dead. This is New Halo.

Fuchsdh

My point is maybe you should not give a crap about arbitrary numbers.

nbraun80

Halo isn't about tailoring your playstyle, it's about being better than other people on an even playing field. Halo is dead. This is New Halo.
Is it really that bad to be able to customize a little? Is it really that bad to have some change? And its never really been an even playing field with other guns like rocketd laying around. Its still Halo.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Is it really that bad to be able to customize a little? Is it really that bad to have some change? And its never really been an even playing field with other guns like rocketd laying around. Its still Halo.

Yeah, it really is that bad. I loved Halo because it was balanced. Everyone had the same opportunity for success at the start of each match. That is now permanently gone. Reach started to steer us from that path. 343 promised to fix the issues. They made everything much, much worse by ripping every new feature from the franchise I hate the most. I'm just glad I'm into Halo for the story, and used to be into it for the music.

Top Bottom