• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

I'm loving the multiplayer and all, but can't help thinking Reach had MUCH better maps.

Disagree, Reach had some bad maps, but Halo 4's maps need more variety. Haven, Solace and Adrift feel unique, and the rest feel like weird, uninspired maps. They need to get some more variety and less open, rocky maps into this game. I want more small arena maps like Midship, or larger ones like Construct which also added some nice verticality into the mix. Also, I would love for some maps like Guardian or Lockout, built around fall hazards and good callouts, layouts and sightlines. There are too many awkwardly open maps in Halo 4, and even if they aren't awful, they aren't too special IMO. The DLC seems to be continuing this trend, and the DLC seems rather uninspired in terms of fresh art.

Reach was pretty good once the anniversary maps came out. The TU update was good for gameplay then they went and whacked the BTB anniversary playlist. Overall, Reach maps suffer from the same problems, they build them around AA's.

Halo 4's issue is they all looks boring (except for Haven). How many rocky backgrounds can you have and those UNSC building structures are just lifeless.

Disagree, Reach had some bad maps, but Halo 4's maps need more variety. Haven, Solace and Adrift feel unique, and the rest feel like weird, uninspired maps. They need to get some more variety and less open, rocky maps into this game. I want more small arena maps like Midship, or larger ones like Construct which also added some nice verticality into the mix. Also, I would love for some maps like Guardian or Lockout, built around fall hazards and good callouts, layouts and sightlines. There are too many awkwardly open maps in Halo 4, and even if they aren't awful, they aren't too special IMO. The DLC seems to be continuing this trend, and the DLC seems rather uninspired in terms of fresh art.

Construct was freaking awesome. Totally forgot about that map.

lionelhutz

I don't understand why old maps are never included with the game or with new maps. I really want to see the maps from previous games included with the new game. Imagine Halo 4 shipping with Halo 3 and Reach maps. MW3 shipping with maps from CoD4 and MW2. There would be so much variety and good maps that the gameplay would never get boring.

I'm tired of being bewildered, so let me try and empathize. Which maps did you like on Reach?
Zealot and Powerhouse were the only two maps that I could stomach. Pretty much hated everything else, and I imagine that if there's a hell, it would involve a team of jetpackers on The Cage/Uncaged.

You would have to replace dexterity, sorry. It is a "support upgrade," not a "tactical package."

Noooooooooooooo! I may never get to use a spec perk :(

Those of you that use Stability, is it really worth it? How much does it really help you? I just ask because Dexterity is very useful in any situation.

I don't understand why old maps are never included with the game or with new maps. I really want to see the maps from previous games included with the new game. Imagine Halo 4 shipping with Halo 3 and Reach maps. MW3 shipping with maps from CoD4 and MW2. There would be so much variety and good maps that the gameplay would never get boring.

I've been saying this for years.

After 11 years of Halo games, we have built a wealth of multiplayer maps. Ignoring all the community Forge maps, I count 102 maps, including remakes but not including upcoming Halo 4 DLC maps. Imagine the variety if there was a "super" Halo game that had them all...

Noooooooooooooo! I may never get to use a spec perk :(

Those of you that use Stability, is it really worth it? How much does it really help you? I just ask because Dexterity is very useful in any situation.

Dexterity is not useful at all if your primary weapon is the Storm Rifle :p

they need to bring back more Halo 2 maps but I suppose if they are doing halo 2 anniversary then they may wait until then. loved halo 1 & 2 maps

have they redone chiron? lol

couldn't play halo 3 and most of reach due to how bad they messed up the multiplayer.

for some reason i can get into halo 4 really well.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Carbine rips it up in closer battles but yeah a BTB load out with plasma pistol, stickies and DMR is required.
I had a feeling that might have been true, I definitely do better with it in close to medium range, but it is lacking long range. I'll give the DMR a shot tonight.

Is the Carbine on the same level as the Battle Rifle as far as range goes?

JB1981

If you warn to get good at Halo I'd recommend playing in a lot of the hoppers. SWAT helps me get my aiming and twitch down, I play KOTH or objective games to work on taking on multiple enemies at once. Slayer is Slayer.

Tournament looks interesting, and I'm definitely interested in the Spartan Ops stuff. I still think they should talk more about the change logs before they go live though; I understand the exploit stuff, but I hope the TU gets a lot of explanation backed up by numbers and comments.

I agree. I usually switch between Infinity Slayer, Koth, and Team Regicide lately. I need to try a little FFA.

I use it in KOTH and Spartan Ops (when fighting Covenant).

It tears through shields and is a great way to get assists!

Assists are never a problem for me in this game, it's crazy how many I get. I'll max that commendation out in no time. One easy way to get it is when a teammate is assassinating someone, shoot them in the body a time or two and instant assist!

GloveSlap

I really like the game. The only two things that really stand out as completely broken are Camo and the range of the charged Boltshot. Oh, and the Gauss Hog on Exile.

How come the 343-made Forge maps aren't in matchmaking yet? I remember checking one out in customs that seemed really cool and perfect for 4v4. The game could use some crossover maps between 4v4 and Big Team as well, such as adding Complex to Big Team.

stktt

Banned
I really like the game. The only two things that really stand out as completely broken are Camo and the range of the charged Boltshot. Oh, and the Gauss Hog on Exile.

How come the 343-made Forge maps aren't in matchmaking yet? I remember checking one out in customs that seemed really cool and perfect for 4v4. The game could use some crossover maps between 4v4 and Big Team as well, such as adding Complex to Big Team.

Relay is supposed to be added to matchmaking "soon".

Fry

I'm tired of being bewildered, so let me try and empathize. Which maps did you like on Reach?

There's no need to be bewildered, it's just an opinion. Maybe I was more used to Reach's maps and maybe I'll end up enjoying these better with time, but I do think Halo 4 lacks smaller and smarter maps, like Heaven. I liked Boardwalk, Countdown, Reflection, Zealot, and Sword Base which was the best one.

I wish all the Forge maps had been included in Halo 4. They were the most fun.

lionelhutz

I've been saying this for years.

After 11 years of Halo games, we have built a wealth of multiplayer maps. Ignoring all the community Forge maps, I count 102 maps, including remakes but not including upcoming Halo 4 DLC maps. Imagine the variety if there was a "super" Halo game that had them all...

I would buy it just for the MP variety.

exYle

Such a player exists??? haha

I like the Storm Rifle. I don't use it as a primary, it's my secondary on my LR class, but it does surprisingly good.

There's no need to be bewildered, it's just an opinion. Maybe I was more used to Reach's maps and maybe I'll end up enjoying these better with time, but I do think Halo 4 lacks smaller and smarter maps, like Heaven. I liked Boardwalk, Countdown, Reflection, Zealot, and Sword Base which was the best one.

I wish all the Forge maps had been included in Halo 4. They were the most fun.

You see, I'm bewildered because Reach's (initial) maps were strongly criticized by a majority of the Halo population, myself included.

What do you mean by "smarter" maps?

I liked the maps you listed that I didn't bold, but for the others:
Reflection: I don't know how to voice this exactly, but it just didn't work. I think the Jetpack was crucial in ruining the flow of the map. I'd say, generally speaking, remaking maps did not work for Reach.

Zealot: I will never forget or forgive the no-gravity zone debacle this map shipped with. And then Bungie made the top area a soft-killzone, neutering a play space of their map, because they lacked the insight to see the possible exploit? Aside from that, the lower levels, I found, only made for mediocre-to-competent gunplay, nothing memorable.

Sword Base: There is an irony somewhere here, as I think Sword Base has taken the most flak (second only to The Cage) from the player population, yet it is your favorite map. There should never be a map where the only effective traversal method is by jetpack.

S1kkZ

damn. Would be SO awesome. great idea :)

GTA+Skyrim+Halo

should technically be possible, since the ring is pretty narrow and you could hide the lod pop-ups/fade-in in the curve of the ring. just one level like this in halo 5 or 6 would be fucking amazing. a whole game? i dont know, since there is not much going on (no villages, cities) on a halo ring.

S1kkZ

Halo 4 was such a tease in that regard. I guess it probably is asking for a bit much in a spin-off type project, however, it has been three games now since the last experience and it was a rather short endgame level.

when you come out of the cave/tunnel in the second level and look at that panorama (together with the fantastic music): thats what i want from halo 5. i just wanted to go down there and explore these weird "towers" and structures. and dont want there to be anything going on just be able to get there and explore would be enough.

@The Lamonster: thats no what i meant. it should be easy to hide a lot of the typical problems (pop ups, draw in, fog, fitting a whole world into the memory) when it takes place on a halo ring.

HaloGAf I owe you all an apology. Today..I voted for complex.
I like complex. Its not my favorite but its good for variety. I know people hate it when the rooftops get camped, but its not like those are impregnable positions. My only gripe is whenever I spawn in the garage - that place is a deathtrap.

I like complex. Its not my favorite but its good for variety. I know people hate it when the rooftops get camped, but its not like those are impregnable positions. My only gripe is whenever I spawn in the garage - that place is a deathtrap.

Ya that map is great, depending on the gametype of course. But anything objective on that is foking great.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Honestly i vote for it now just for the sake of variety..haven and solace are really getting old fast.

Petrichor

when you come out of the cave/tunnel in the second level and look at that panorama (together with the fantastic music): thats what i want from halo 5. i just wanted to go down there and explore these weird "towers" and structures. and dont want there to be anything going on just be able to get there and explore would be enough.

Everyone praises that moment but to me it typifies everything that's wrong with Halo 4's campaign - they show you this massive impressive vista that you just want to explore like this:

original.jpg

But instead you're funneled along a linear corridor overlooking it (albeit in a warthog)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FU!

Well, better than nothing.
Hopefully earlier. They've acknowledged the lack of small maps for stuff like KotH.

...but then they just removed KotH so god knows.

The first title update is out and none of the biggest issues (JiP, File Share, etc.) have been fixed. I am now worried if it's even in their power.

Everyone praises that moment but to me it typifies everything that's wrong with Halo 4's campaign - they show you this massive impressive vista that you just want to explore like this:

But instead you're funneled along a linear corridor overlooking it (albeit in a warthog)

Ya but in the end this is still an xbox 360. I think peoples expectations might have been slightly exaggerated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The gunplay is so damn good in this game, it's the biggest reason I keep coming back. I felt good about Reach's gunplay too initially, but not this good.

Everything is so.. smooth.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The gunplay is so damn good in this game, it's the biggest reason I keep coming back. I felt good about Reach's gunplay too initially, but not this good.

Everything is so.. smooth.

Enzo..come on bruh. As an fgc aficionado you know that Reach was a fucking mess. H4 poops all over it. Guns actually hit their targets. Crazy right?

Fry

Enzo..come on bruh. As an fgc aficionado you know that Reach was a fucking mess. H4 poops all over it. Guns actually hit their targets. Crazy right?

It is a much better game than Reach. I'm just a little disappointed at the lack of smaller maps, but I'll be a happy camper when we get Forge maps.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It is a much better game than Reach. I'm just a little disappointed at the lack of smaller maps, but I'll be a happy camper when we get Forge maps.

I agree..reach was seriously a turd of hit detection. If anyone prefaces their argument of H4 with 'well reach did this better' i stop reading.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier to get a video of the ridiculous aim assist if the file share worked.

If you can't tell, then good for you. Ignorance is bliss.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It'd probably be a hell of a lot easier to get a video of the ridiculous aim assist if the file share worked.

If you can't tell, then good for you. Ignorance is bliss.

Aim assist is prevalent in all console shooters..what is your argument?
*edit* I do enjoy the predisposition that apparently only YOU are aware of the aforementioned fact. I consider myself in bliss.

Top Bottom