• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Well, I still want to improve myself as a player, even if I only play BTB.

GamerSoul

I'm no pro, but the dmr is your friend in BTB. You will always have a couple shootouts with players across a portion of the map.You can easily pick off unexpected players who have wandered too far out. You should also have a loadout with the plasma pistol if you want to take out those vehicles a bit faster. Travel in groups and finding timely cover is important and will save you from a lot of random death. Don't be a hero, rambo, etc. And watch out for those damn ghosts that seem to appear right when you least expect it.

I just want to say that I love Team Regicide. I already enjoy Regicide fairly well as a time-waster, but Team Regicide is really great so far.

The Regicide modes also feature my favorite announcer clips. The "Reign of Terror" stuff is hilarious, and I love all the "We got a new king!" or "LOST THE CROWN" or whatever. Fuckin' great.

So the game said I hit level 59...I didn't, I was well into 59 and on my way to level 60. The game said I unlocked some armor and at least an emblem, I went to go check, nothing.

I hit level 60, went to go check if I got anything....nothing.

Anyone else have this happen to you? Is it a glitch? Did I miss out on some stuff I should have?

jediyoshi

So the game said I hit level 59...I didn't, I was well into 59 and on my way to level 60. The game said I unlocked some armor and at least an emblem, I went to go check, nothing.

Anyone else have this happen to you? Is it a glitch? Did I miss out on some stuff I should have?

Are you actually keeping track of what it's saying is unlocked and specifically checking for it? The way the star notifications work is that armor is previewed to you at a certain level on the list and a star shows up when it's first there. When you actually unlock it to use, there's no more indication on the list itself other than now being able to select it.

exYle

When you 'unlock' something and when you actually attain it are two separate things.
Unlocking something allows you to view it, but you can't actually use it. You attain it later, either via leveling up or by commendation.

When you unlock something, the Spartan Armor section has a very shiny "NEW!" notification on it. So, you can look at something new. However, when you attain it, there is no such notification.

Given that you were 9 levels into your Specialization, I doubt you would've actually unlocked anything, but rather, you attained it for personal usage without knowing exactly you got. (sorry if my terminology is confusing, maybe someone else can use better terms)

On a sidenote, I experimented with the Carbine tonight. I don't hate it... it's nice filling the air with so many bullets. But that 8sk really, really hurts.

Are you actually keeping track of what it's saying is unlocked and specifically checking for it? The way the star notifications work is that armor is previewed to you at a certain level on the list and a star shows up when it's first there. When you actually unlock it to use, there's no more indication on the list itself other than now being able to select it.

When you 'unlock' something and when you actually attain it are two separate things.
Unlocking something allows you to view it, but you can't actually use it. You attain it later, either via leveling up or by commendation.

When you unlock something, the Spartan Armor section has a very shiny "NEW!" notification on it. So, you can look at something new. However, when you attain it, there is no such notification.

Given that you were 9 levels into your Specialization, I doubt you would've actually unlocked anything, but rather, you attained it for personal usage without knowing exactly you got. (sorry if my terminology is confusing, maybe someone else can use better terms)

On a sidenote, I experimented with the Carbine tonight. I don't hate it... it's nice filling the air with so many bullets. But that 8sk really, really hurts.

I should be more clear, by "unlock" I mean the game said "Hey you revealed more shit you can't have yet!" I saw that on my post game screen, checked my armory and Spartan ID, no stars on anything. I thought it might've glitched and tried giving me Level 60 items even though I was Level 59, so I played until I actually hit Level 60...still nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the alternate Rogue armor set as well as the Rogue emblem, unless I get it for fully completing Rogue Level 10?

exYle

I should be more clear, by "unlock" I mean the game said "Hey you revealed more shit you can't have yet!" I saw that on my post game screen, checked my armory and Spartan ID, no stars on anything. I thought it might've glitched and tried giving me Level 60 items even though I was Level 59, so I played until I actually hit Level 60...still nothing.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing the alternate Rogue armor set as well as the Rogue emblem, unless I get it for fully completing Rogue Level 10?

I'm a little confused. If Rogue was your first specialization, and you're level 60, then you should've completed Rogue level 10 right there.

I'm a little confused. If Rogue was your first specialization, and you're level 60, then you should've completed Rogue level 10 right there.

Ah you're right, I was wondering if I had to get to level 61, but that wouldn't make sense.

In that case...I don't think the game rewarded me with anything for completing the Specialization, besides Stability, then, I'll check tomorrow to make sure.

Crazyorloco

Team Regicide is definitely the best new playlist out... Had a ton of fun with it last night. Looks like it's popular with a lot of people too. Team Regicide was 4th in amount of players yesterday so I think 343I is going to keep this playlist in.

Recall

The more I play Dominion the more I really, really like it. I think its the only playlist where armour abilities can make a huge difference and even if you are not a skilled player, defending a base and helping to fortify it is a worthy contribution to the match.

Also having to wait that 5 seconds to respawn and everyone having focused objectives makes it pretty intense at times too.

link1201

Team Regicide is definitely the best new playlist out... Had a ton of fun with it last night. Looks like it's popular with a lot of people too. Team Regicide was 4th in amount of players yesterday so I think 343I is going to keep this playlist in.

I think it has a lot to do with the lack of Personal Ordinance. 4v4 doesn't play that well with it. I am ok with it in BTB.

Dreaver

Could someone just tell me the 'ultimate' load out agreed upon?

I really don't care about this customizable load out crap. I just want to play some Slayer on Halo.
DMR
Boltshot
Prometheus vision
Frans
Shielding
Dexterity or mobility depending on map.

Easily the best loadout in my opinion.

link1201

yeah it's more of a standard halo team slayer than the infinity playlist is.

I agree. I hope it remains popular so I can continue to enjoy it. I would play Slayer Pro but the group I play with likes radar and aren't the greatest so we get stomped on in that playlist.

abadguy

Banned
My goodness in terms of multiplayer Reach was bad compared to the fun I had in Halo 3. With Halo 4 I'm getting that joyful feeling again I had in halo 3. Armor lock made me wanna puke in Reach. The shield here in Halo 4 is perfectly balanced! Useful but not impossible to beat!

Come to think of it the whole MP experience seems incredibly balanced. Well done 343.

I will never understand how Bungie though armor lock was a good idea in MP. If they had just left it in single player, things would have been a bit different. Nothing like being in close quarters combat with an enemy, blasting off his shields then going in for a melee kill, only to have him armor lock at the last second, emp, then melee you. Or when whole teams would have armor lock equipped at one time.

There was no real counter to it, unless the player was just using it wrong. Like armor locking while he is a few feet from you, and you simply wait until it's just about to pop and through a grenade at him.

Campaign wise i give Reach the edge on 4, but it's still quite good though.

pringles

Just finished the campaign (solo legendary).

My feeling right now is 'shitty campaign' but that's probably colored by the last level being so fucking terrible and tedious. Arming those promethean bullet sponges with binary rifles is just straight up bad game design.

Overall I guess the campaign had it's moments. Usually when fighting the covenant.
I got pretty tired of activating/destroying 3 things by the end though.

JB1981

You won't improve your skills much in BTB. BTB is my go-to playlist when I want to play more casually and get a lot of easy kills. Play Team Slayer if you want to get your skills up.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Does NO ONE in this game no how to drive a warthog? Feels like everytime I'm in the gunner seat, the guy drives it straight into the center of a group of enemies and does everything in his power to park in there. Talking like literally, rests up against a rock and calls it a day as we get crushed. it's insane. It happens 9/10, I don't get how this keeps happening.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Was just in a BTB game so bad that our team had to spawn AT THE OTHER TEAM'S BASE. 630 points, jesus fucking christ Never had a game so bad in Halo 4 before, it's like none of them knew how to shoot.

Fuchsdh

You won't improve your skills much in BTB. BTB is my go-to playlist when I want to play more casually and get a lot of easy kills. Play Team Slayer if you want to get your skills up.
If you warn to get good at Halo I'd recommend playing in a lot of the hoppers. SWAT helps me get my aiming and twitch down, I play KOTH or objective games to work on taking on multiple enemies at once. Slayer is Slayer.

Tournament looks interesting, and I'm definitely interested in the Spartan Ops stuff. I still think they should talk more about the change logs before they go live though; I understand the exploit stuff, but I hope the TU gets a lot of explanation backed up by numbers and comments.

UraMallas

The other thing I noticed about the team modes is it doesn't encourage team play at all. Your only real motivation for player until the end is the XP. Winning really does not give you that much XP neither does your score. In Halo 3 the ranking system kept people wanting to win. People were frequently wearing mics because if you died a lot there was consequence.

When you look at the team stats its not uncommon for the higher scoring players to actually be negative on their k/d ratio. They should change the XP given to be more balanced for winning teams.

Like Halo 3 there should be a penalty, XP or otherwise for being negative. This applies to the spammers I keep complaining about and would encourage more team play.

In their defense though its not like there is a Rumble Pit playlist so its not a shock that there are so many lone wolves.

I don't agree with that at all. You're giving to much precedent to k/d ratio. There is a lot more that goes on in a CtF or other cooperative game types than your k/d ratio. I would argue the more team-oriented your play, the worse your k/d ratio is. The people that have 20 kills and 2 deaths are typically the ones that are basically playing the team objective games like Team Slayer, which is annoying.

Fuchsdh

I don't agree with that at all. You're giving to much precedent to k/d ratio. There is a lot more that goes on in a CtF or other cooperative game types than your k/d ratio. I would argue the more team-oriented your play, the worse your k/d ratio is. The people that have 20 kills and 2 deaths are typically the ones that are basically playing the team objective games like Team Slayer, which is annoying.

Going positive in a CTF game usually means my team lost. I'd say that's generally true in matchmade games

IHaveIce

Banned
you can play the objective without dieing constantly.. of course the k/d isn't everything .. but exceot you are the flag runner you shouldn't end up as cannonfodder

UraMallas

you can play the objective without dieing constantly.. of course the k/d isn't everything .. but exceot you are the flag runner you shouldn't end up as cannonfodder

You shouldn't be 10 kills negative but I find that if I'm around the 3+/- range, I'm usually playing the game the way it's intended and actively pursing team cooperation. When I'm positive by 7-10 kills, my team typically loses because I'm essentially not playing the game the way it's intended.

Going positive in a CTF game usually means my team lost. I'd say that's generally true in matchmade games

This.

Talon

I feel like on a winning CTF team, you usually have one guy (the defender) that will be up +10 or so and everyone should be around +/- 5 with the exception of a runner, potentially.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Some updates for those of you that don't venture to the Halo OT in Community via David Ellis:

About the TU:
Except you need it to be out of cert before anything is confirmed. Something could get caught in that process that would change the TU. And the exploits we don't want to draw more attention to pre TU aren't map items. Take that as you will.

About Spartan Ops:
lybertyboy said:
Oh, and for those asking about SpOps locations in the second half of the season. None of them are repeats from the first half of the season.

About downloading the second half of season 1 of Ops:

[Download] All of it. You'll get a very brief sneak peak on Friday night.

Shatter looks like a good map.

I actually agree...I just wish there was more variety in the art across the multiplayer maps. For an example, if you look at Halo 1-3 maps, you've got a snowy map, a desert map, an urban map, a forerunner map, a covenant map, a swamp map etc etc etc.

In Reach and Halo 4 you have a bunch of areas lifted from the campaign that are all very similar, either taking place on Reach or Requiem.

Seriously, 343 - I'd like at least one map that takes place on a traditional Halo. You even removed the Halo setting of Valhalla for some unknown reason.

I am not talking about objective playlists. I am talking slayer.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm no pro, but the dmr is your friend in BTB. You will always have a couple shootouts with players across a portion of the map.You can easily pick off unexpected players who have wandered too far out. You should also have a loadout with the plasma pistol if you want to take out those vehicles a bit faster. Travel in groups and finding timely cover is important and will save you from a lot of random death. Don't be a hero, rambo, etc. And watch out for those damn ghosts that seem to appear right when you least expect it.
Sadly the only reason I don't use the DMR is because everyone else uses it :p

Pretty shitty rule to have I'll admit, I'll try it out tonight. I've been using the Carbine mostly.

I'll consider this too, thanks.

Fuchsdh

Sadly the only reason I don't use the DMR is because everyone else uses it :p

Pretty shitty rule to have I'll admit, I'll try it out tonight. I've been using the Carbine mostly.

I'll consider this too, thanks.
Carbine rips it up in closer battles but yeah a BTB load out with plasma pistol, stickies and DMR is required.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have 2 default loadouts depending on the playlist:

DMR
PP
Stickies
Promethean Vision
Mobility
Explosives (will be changed to the Rogue specialization when I reach level 60 tonight)

AR
Magnum
Stickies
Promethean Vision
Mobility
Explosives (will be changed to the Rogue specialization when I reach level 60 tonight)

I tried Shielding out, but I guess I'm horrible because it didn't really make a difference for me. I use Sprint far more.

I also have a loadout for Spartan Ops that has the regenerating field ability.

S1kkZ

Some updates for those of you that don't venture to the Halo OT in Community via David Ellis:

About the TU:

About Spartan Ops:

About downloading the second half of season 1 of Ops:

sounds good. lets hope they have more than 6 settings/levels for the rest of the season.

I'm loving the multiplayer and all, but can't help thinking Reach had MUCH better maps.

Most people, including myself, will disagree. Reach had the worst maps in the series.

Bland art design and not designed for multiplayer because they were areas lifted directly from the campaign. Plus, when you play Reach online nowadays, it's all Forge World crap.

For those that have Stability, what category is it under? We'll I be able to use Dexterity and Stability at the same time? (please say yes).

Top Bottom