• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

daedalius

The only thing I don't like is the fact the BR feels wildly inconsistent for me sometimes.

Maybe someone at 343 can confirm, but does the bullet that breaks the shield have bleedthrough or not?

I've had a ton of shields pop on (what I certainly think!) was a headshot, but no kill.

I can't help but get hyped for that, haha. I hope their E3 stuff isn't just Spartan Assault.

Halo Bootcamp was the codename for Spartan Assault.

I would think if all they had at E3 was SA then it wouldn't have been revealed prior to E3. I'm thinking there is something else going to get all the Halo limelight at E3...

Just for GAF reference here are the Halo 4 maps changes from the update early this week:

Abandon
Sniper Rifle moved above Gold Lift
Sniper Rifle moved next to red spawn by Back Cliff (Beach)
Overshield placed on first floor of center structure, equidistant from team spawns
Red flag moved to bottom of Gold Lift
Blue flag moved back closer to Back Cliff (Beach)

Adrift
Overshield placed in center of map below Mantis
Twin Sniper Rifles placed on the corners of the map
Needlers replaced the frags in the center room in the corners
Cover and line of sight adjusted in the top hallways to help attackers in objective modes

Complex
Spawns moved farther apart and in proper bases
Flags moved to their respective bases
Red team Sniper Rifle moved to the second floor of their base
Rocket Launcher replaced Sword in the courtyard

Exile
Mantis replaced Scorpion and placed equidistant from both team spawns
Spartan Laser spawns in center cave
Railgun replaced SAW in front of each team spawn
Removed Gauss Warthog and replaced with Rocket Hogs for each team

Exile CTF
Team spawns and flags pushed back into their respective bases
Sticky Detonator spawns in Banshee hangar (no Banshee)
No team Warthogs
Gauss Warthog spawns in the center of the map and is flipped onto its side
SAW placed in front of each team spawn
Beam Rifle spawns in the cave by the Scorpion Bay

Haven
Rotated team spawns 90 degrees to oppose each other on the opposite axis found currently in matchmaking
Sword spawns in the upper center
Concussion Rifle spawns next to closed ramp
Sniper Rifle spawns next to open ramp
Lifts moved to the drop-downs to allow more flow to the upper level
Colored lighting to distinguish player/map orientation
Miscellaneous grenades placed around the map

Landfall
Moved spawns and flags to opposite corners of the map (Blue flag in lift room and Red flag by Dock)
Shotgun, Sniper Rifle and Overshield spawn at start

Longbow
Gauss Hog and Banshee added at each team spawn
4x Shade Turrets placed at the center fort on the ridge
Overshield added in center cave
Beam Rifle and Rocket Launcher placed at each team spawn

Meltdown
Fuel Rod Cannon replaced Incineration Cannon at each team spawn
Gauss Hog added at each team spawn
Plasma Cannon Turrets placed inside each side bunker
Scattershot added at each side bunker

Meltdown (CTF)
Mantis added at center of map under bridge
Beam Rifles added on top of the side bunkers
Plasma Cannon Turrets added inside each side bunker

Ragnarok
Rocket Hog added to vehicle set

Ragnarok (CTF)
2x SAWs at each team spawn
Railgun placed in the field opposite Pelican crash site

Solace
Removed Incineration Cannon from low center
Sword now appears alone at low center
Fuel Rod Cannon spawns on the side of the map equidistant from the team spawns

Vortex
Gauss Hog and Mantis added at each team spawn
Banshee added low center equidistant from team spawns

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
While I wish him the best on his future endeavors, I am somewhat relieved he will not have any involvement with Halo 5's MP. Hopefully the next MP design lead can bring new things to Halo without cutting half of the old things in the process. Sorry Kynan, I am just really bitter about some of the changes.

Pretty sure he made the best maps in the game and then Forge Island.

DeadNames

Banned
And The Cage was based on Guardian. A spiritual successor can go either way. Onyx is gooooooood.

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Cage is nothing like Guardian lol

In the wake of Reach's release I'm pretty sure Carney wrote that Guardian, Lockout, and The Cage were all based off of the same basic idea for a map that he had drawn.

My point was that taking a preexisting idea for a map, reworking it, then coming up with a new map that is still good is no small task.

In the wake of Reach's release I'm pretty sure Carney wrote that Guardian, Lockout, and The Cage were all based off of the same basic idea for a map that he had drawn.

My point was that taking a preexisting idea for a map, reworking it, then coming up with a new map that is still good is no small task.

I remember reading that, too. Like the Cage being rework of an old version of a pre-Lockout design. However, Onyx is basically Midship. It's good, yes, but it's pretty much the exact same map. It's closer to Midship than Onslaught or Simplex.

Also, wasn't Kynan pretty much solely responsible for Forge Island?

Karl2177

It happened in 3's Blackout, but I honestly don't remember the spawns being bad on Lockout. I assume it's forge related, I spawned within 10 feet of an enemy multiple times that match.

Could be the spawn zones on the map in Forge. It could also be the way Halo 4 decides to spawn people in. Bro weighting is insanely high and enemy proximity weights are too low.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
He also did Forge Island? Well, now I feel doubly guilty for sounding like an ass.

I redirect my hate towards whoever IS responsible for screwing everything up.

That would be Infinity Ward :p

Well he struck Gold with Lockout. Then hit silver with Guardian. Then he dug up some dog shit with The Cage.

FyreWulff

Could be the spawn zones on the map in Forge. It could also be the way Halo 4 decides to spawn people in. Bro weighting is insanely high and enemy proximity weights are too low.

It's Halo 4's spawn system.

If you position people correctly you can infinitely snipespawn someone on elbow. Even if they just died there.

Same reason you can spawn on the opposing team's flag on Skyline.

smerfy

Banned
Hello everyone! Long time halo player, first time posting here...but I've been lurking for years =P

Goes all the way back to when H1 released. Oh the LAN parties...good times.

I'm glad to finally get to converse with you all :)

Legendary slayer playable at E3?

What makes you say that?

It was just one of those thoughts that pops into your head and I wanted to see what others thought about the likeliness of it. I guess if there is no new title announced then they'd have SA & legendary slayer to fall back on for E3. 343i seems to have been quite mum about Legendary slayer too.

smerfy

Banned
GTA IV has CLIMBED in the charts the last two times Major has posted them.

Absolutely amazing.

Why on earth would Halo 4 be at E3?

Because they're obviously porting it up to Xbox One with improved environments, 1080p, increased IQ, better enemy AI and all of the map packs on disk.

I could actually see them doing that...

Legendary slayer playable at E3?

It was just one of those thoughts that pops into your head and I wanted to see what others thought about the likeliness of it. I guess if there is no new title announced then they'd have SA & legendary slayer to fall back on for E3. 343i seems to have been quite mum about Legendary slayer too.
lol. Yeah. Microsoft's big Halo thing is "HEY GUYS PLAY THE NEW HALO 4 GAMETYPE! OMG!"

I already see the previews: IGN "OMG. It makes the game perfect!" Polygon: "I am a fool for giving Halo 4 only a 9.8.". Gamespot "What am I doing? oh yeah this gametype rocks. Makes Halo even better! btw. 343i hire me, imma ex-Halo pro!"

lol. Yeah. Microsoft's big Halo thing is "HEY GUYS PLAY THE NEW HALO 4 GAMETYPE! OMG!"

I already see the previews: IGN "OMG. It makes the game perfect!" Polygon: "I am a fool for giving Halo 4 only a 9.8.". Gamespot "What am I doing? oh yeah this gametype rocks. Makes Halo even better! btw. 343i hire me, imma ex-Halo pro!"

I was only raising the idea as a backup in case there isn't some new Halo title at E3. Anyhow at least I know where the discussion lies, not likely is the consensus.

Because they're obviously porting it up to Xbox One with improved environments, 1080p, increased IQ, better enemy AI and all of the map packs on disk.

I could actually see them doing that...

These sorts of ideas still make me wonder if the next gen Halo title(s) are using a different build version all together or if they built Halo 4 on a next gen/current gen hybrid engine...

The most likely answer is they're two separate branches of engine development. However the feature parity, hiccups and changes to Halo in areas such as graphics or gametypes or animation all seem to point towards Halo 4 using some mid-next-gen build.

It certainly would be an interesting comparison to have a next gen Halo 4 polished and refined using all the Xbox One bells and whistles to have it as a direct comparison to 360 based Halo 4. Especially giving the potential of Azure to be dedicated server based in place of P2P.

smerfy

Banned
These sorts of ideas still make me wonder if the next gen Halo title(s) are using a different build version all together or if they built Halo 4 on a next gen/current gen hybrid engine...

The most likely answer is they're two separate branches of engine development. However the feature parity, hiccups and changes to Halo in areas such as graphics or gametypes or animation all seem to point towards Halo 4 using some mid-next-gen build.

It certainly would be an interesting comparison to have a next gen Halo 4 polished and refined using all the Xbox One bells and whistles to have it as a direct comparison to 360 based Halo 4. Especially giving the potential of Azure to be dedicated server based in place of P2P.

I think they overhauled the engine, most likely, to ease the transition to new hardware. The engine itself seems like it's more than flexible enough to work with more powerful hardware.

I would very much like to see the transition to dedicated servers. P2P is...well...P2P. I'd like to experience what halo would be like without worrying about hosting issues lol

Halo 4 had established a 92 percent larger user base than Halo: Reach at launch
Wow.

You have to remember the article is based on raptr statistics and NOT actual xbox live or 343i statistics. So Halo 4 did $220mil and Reach did $200mil first day but how does that translate to 92% more at launch? It's raptr's userbase at launch of those titles, not unique Halo players on xbox live.

Sure Reach may have retained players longer, I'm not sure to be honest but the trends reflect each other fairly similarly. I'm sure the Halo 4 launch configuration did contribute to population loss more than population gain, granted.

However until XBL or major nelson or 343i give us the actual UU's per day/month for each games in a directly comparable method these statistics are skewed and unreliable at best. The games themselves even report concurrent players differently.

I think they overhauled the engine, most likely, to ease the transition to new hardware. The engine itself seems like it's more than flexible enough to work with more powerful hardware.

I would very much like to see the transition to dedicated servers. P2P is...well...P2P. I'd like to experience what halo would be like without worrying about hosting issues lol

Firstly a late welcome to you mate. I just hope Xbox One doesn't leave matchmaking as P2P and Azure is just for processing. Please X1/343i make the best use of those servers with regional dedicated servers. I am interested in Halo and Azure but not at the peril of sticking with P2P.

New BR feels GOOD, carbine too. Loving it but the SAW is brooooken

not sure how I feel about movement increase

Saw is a little too good now, same with the AR, that was one weapon which did not need a damage boost but I figure it had one so it was better then the BR up close and boosting it's accuracy would turn it into a mini pocket saw.

I'm about to go baby sit this lunch time and my sister has a nice 48" tv, it's halo time.

I think I'll play some Halo.

What's the best playlist at the moment? Is there flinch in Team Snipers?

No castle map-pack playlist?

I hate map packs, they never work in play lists I want to enjoy, example all last night I was in big team battle and never saw a single new map. :/

Ghazi

He's talking about the changes made to Reach before 4 came out. People thought it was a good sign of what was to come for Halo 4

Yeah, probably because some of them were really good changes. Only shit playlist management decisions really, most people who still played the game with me liked the reduced Bloom and other changes.

Top Bottom