• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Overdoziz

Banned
There's always a balance to me made in terms of kill times and shield recharge rate, but to me Halo 4 seemed really slow before the rebalancing. At the moment it's 6 seconds until it starts recharging and another 2 seconds until your shields are completely full. In Reach it was even worse with a 6 seconds delay and 2.75 full recharge. I definitely liked Halo 2 and 3's 4.75 second delay and 1.75 second full recharge the best. Nothing is worse than waiting 6 seconds only to be hit ever so slightly by a grenade and having to wait another 6 seconds until your shields even start recharging. It just slows down the game to a crawl at times.

There's definitely a point where people get shields that recharge too quickly, but I think within their own sandboxes Halo 2 and 3 had it right.

This reminds me that we should play more Halo 3, Elzar!

Risen

There's always a balance to me made in terms of kill times and shield recharge rate, but to me Halo 4 seemed really slow before the rebalancing. At the moment it's 6 seconds until it starts recharging and another 2 seconds until your shields are completely full. In Reach it was even worse with a 6 seconds delay and 2.75 full recharge. I definitely liked Halo 2 and 3's 4.75 second delay and 1.75 second full recharge the best. Nothing is worse than waiting 6 seconds only to be hit ever so slightly by a grenade and having to wait another 6 seconds until your shields even start recharging. It just slows down the game to a crawl at times.

There's definitely a point where people get shields that recharge too quickly, but I think within their own sandboxes Halo 2 and 3 had it right.

Neither of those games had sprint where people could quickly gtfo of Dodge. Also - neither of those had a modifier that reduced the time to gain full shields.

Edit: Lunch break Halo anyone?

The black looks sexy and so does the idea of making the flag the OB so we can throw it. Hopefully they allow for messing with those traits like distance thrown, speed, etc.

While you could switch the flag for an oddball it'd just be the model, that means the oddball will still keep the flag properties. That doesn't mean these traits can't be modified by changing other values in the script.

You'll still be able to come up with some crazy things on your own, like changing the flag for a turret or a wraith (mortar still operable and all :D).

All of these will be usable on a retail xbox once the modders release the gametype editor.

Well said and Halo 4's increase in kill times should reflect a faster recharge delay. The reality of it is in the bolded; a frustrating experience when the rest of the game is made to play faster.

One thing you're overlooking Risen is how a long recharge delay changes player habits. It causes more players to run and hide from battles instead of staying in the action, resulting in a more defensive and campy playstyle. The problem is a combination of sprint + motion tracking radar and too many options to escape/hide from a fight (AA's on spawn, etc.), not a faster recharge.

While you could switch the flag for an oddball it'd just be the model, that means the oddball will still keep the flag properties. That doesn't mean these traits can't be modified by changing other values in the script.

You'll still be able to come up with some crazy things on your own, like changing the flag for a turret or a wraith (mortar still operable and all :D).

All of these will be usable on a retail xbox once the modders release the gametype editor.

Damn.. got me hyped. Stinkles, you guys should try out Murder the Flag in Murder Miners. It's pretty damn fun and has some gameplay elements that could work well with Halo (throwing the flag and killing enemies with it).

One of the best things about this weapon update is the shorter auto aim on the long range weapons, it makes the dmr not feel like an end all gun because they shot first from the other side of the map, and you can *gasp* dodge shots! amazing.

BigShow36

One of the best things about this weapon update is the shorter auto aim on the long range weapons, it makes the dmr not feel like an end all gun because they shot first from the other side of the map, and you can *gasp* dodge shots! amazing.

Amazing how a shooting skill gap, even a slight one, allows the game to function much better. Now if only they would extend the shooting skill gap to the rest of the game.

Nebula

Update is good. That said, the automatics need a range nerf IMO, and the shield recharge time should be reduced to accommodate the faster kill times.

Yeah I agree that the shield recharge delay needs shortening. It was noticeable pre WTU but now it has become a real issue.

Also I like the BR.

DeadNames

Banned
every time I don't play halo 4 for a while I get urges to play it...

but whenever I play it I always start hating the game.

c'est la vie.

4 shot BR is wildly inconsistent for me, but in true Halo fashion, everyone else 4 shots me perfectly.

Odd, I've had very little problem with any of it. Gui (i think) was complaining earlier about the 2shot melee not working which works for me also. I wonder what it could be. Might not actually be a thing and just your brain. If not then get some on film and post it, maybe it can get addressed quickly.

Ramirez

Game's still meh overall, the spawning system is the worst. Spawning in front of a charging scattershot on lockout is fun times.

Gui_PT

4 shot BR is wildly inconsistent for me, but in true Halo fashion, everyone else 4 shots me perfectly.

Odd, I've had very little problem with any of it. Gui (i think) was complaining earlier about the 2shot melee not working which works for me also. I wonder what it could be. Might not actually be a thing and just your brain. If not then get some on film and post it, maybe it can get addressed quickly.

Gotta have that godly internet connection, breh

Redford

aka Cabbie
Getting shit on in RP, can get one kill then a cleanup at most before dying most times. Real hard to get away, which is good and bad with the awfully slow recharge.

Top Bottom