• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Shield recharge could use a boost back to H2 speeds.

The first thing that stuck out, I FINALLY got a chance to play today. I have to say though, other than the Saw being way to OP this was a HUGE improvement to the game. First game I went 17-11-7, the next I went 10-5-11 but I didnt realize my team quit and it was just me for while.

I was so into it I didn't even notice.

Camo still sucks balls though. F Santuary too. Get the Pit into this game.

so guys is Halo brought back to life or what

need non-Deadly Cyclone opinions

Not yet, Its close. Better maps, a rebalanced of one or two power weapons and faster shield recharge and we would be good.

A playlist with AA's cut 1 loadout starts and no sprint with classic maps would get me playing this game every single night.

As it stands its way improved from launch. Get on and try it out.

JackHerer

Overall the game was much improved by the update. Infinity game modes still suck but Slayer Pro basically feels like throwdown settings because everyone picks BRs now and there is static weapon drops. So there's that.

I am a bit confused as to why there seems to be at least one mantis or a gauss hog on every BTB map now though. BTB is still kinda crap even with Pro. I would play it more if they put objective gametypes in.

BigShow36

It's an improvement simply because it brings a little more speed to the game. There's still the issue of the aim assists being too high for the slow strafe, which I guess isn't a problem if you're a fan of Halo 2. There's also a severe lack of good maps, and I'm certainly not going to pay for DLC so it's basically something that will never get fixed. Forge is nice and all, but nothing beats a good on-disk map. You also still need to deal with loadouts, lack of good playlists, horrendous UI and all that.

Basically, it's Halo 4, but a little faster. An improvement, but not a game changing one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

It's not quite there yet. Better, but it's still no classic Halo. Halo 5 built with these new changes in mind should be a hell of a lot closer. 343 still has a ways to go, but they're moving the right way.

Striker

Overall the game was much improved by the update. Infinity game modes still suck but Slayer Pro basically feels like throwdown settings because everyone picks BRs now and there is static weapon drops. So there's that.

I am a bit confused as to why there seems to be at least one mantis or a gauss hog on every BTB map now though. BTB is still kinda crap even with Pro. I would play it more if they put objective gametypes in.
You can play CTF on Meltdown, Ragnarok, and Exile in the CTF playlist. Mantis getting jammed in everything is crappy, and it had no reason to get buffed. The SAW is hilarious up close. Fuel Rod Gun is placed on maps and has no business being in the game. No tweaks to the Beam's aim assist. CTF is all but dead unless you do Throwdown/Simplex.

There's too many issues to keep it from being a game I'd like to play on a regular basis. Loadouts and AA's still suck (PV is probably the most annoying to fight) sure, but you still factor in crummy flinch, bad gametypes, bad map pool, and too many overpowered weapons.

Havok

Breaking news: Complex CTF (and hey, probably Abandon too though I haven't had the misfortune of playing it since the update) is still bad.

You just described a completely different Halo game...

I want new good maps. The last classic maps were in Halo 3.

The beauty of Halo is the custom options make gametypes like this possible (sprint maybe not on our end but 343 certainly can do it) Pushing a Classic playlist out like this could be what halo needs. People dropped Halo because it moved to far from the formula of the originals

The beauty of Halo is the custom options make gametypes like this possible (sprint maybe not on our end but 343 certainly can do it) Pushing a Classic playlist out like this could be what halo needs. People dropped Halo because it moved to far from the formula of the originals

Some people. Most of those imo are are in forums like this. The more casual crowds moved on cause other games were more fun or more accessible to them plain and simple. Now im not saying Halo isn't fun, im just saying that i believe that what most people in here think as a "fun" Halo game is exactly what those other people now find boring.

Adding ordinances to that (that didn't even do it as well as the competition does) just added insult to injury.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Need people to help test some SWAT. I'll be on for a long time so message TashiGAF if you wanna play at some point tonight.

Halo 2, really?

Why?

Yeah, seriously. Worst campaign in the series.

What, no? The cut off ending sucked big time and the story was a little convoluted. Also the Little Shop of Horrors Gravemind sucked. However when you look at missions like the following:

Cairo Station
Outskirts
The Oracle
Delta Halo
Regret

What isn't to like exactly? Delta Halo & Regret are two of the best campaign missions from the whole franchise. Delta Halo is simply god-tier Halo campaign IMO.

Tawpgun

So I've noticed a thing.

Maps like complex and settler and shit are constantly being voted, and yet everywhere I look (GAF, waypoint, online) everyone agrees they are shitty maps.

And I think the reason is the same one why people voted swordbase for infection and such.

The map is broken, and they want to exploit it for an easy kill dongsesh.

Risen

So I've noticed a thing.

Maps like complex and settler and shit are constantly being voted, and yet everywhere I look (GAF, waypoint, online) everyone agrees they are shitty maps.

And I think the reason is the same one why people voted swordbase for infection and such.

Well... yeah!

FyreWulff

So I've noticed a thing.

People like maps that enable killgrinding. Probably the angriest feedback I ever got was those fixed versions of Infection maps in Reach matchmaking I made.

Or Red team intentionally voting for Ghost Town when Neutral Bomb Ghost Town was a thing

GhaleonEB

Had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Kynan during a pre-launch visit to 343. Really great guy. Wish him the best.

It is with a heavy heart that I’m here to let you know I’m leaving 343. This has been a difficult decision for me as I truly love Halo and I work with so many amazing people here in Kirkland. There are some family-related reasons which pushed us towards moving back to our old home in Texas. No worries though, I’ve got an amazing opportunity back in Austin that I will hopefully be able to share with you soon enough.
Wonder if he's going to work at CA and keep making Halo maps and content.

FyreWulff

Had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Kynan during a pre-launch visit to 343. Really great guy. Wish him the best.

My first thought was, he's going to work at CA and keep making Halo maps/content.

My thought is he's going back to Retro Studios.

But they're both in Austin.. so that doesn't help much for guessing.

willow ve

bulletin tonight?

I wonder what the feedback has been so far for the balance update over on Waypoint. Anyone have a rough reaction from that forum?

I feel like here on Halo/Hola GAF we're all pretty much pleased with the balancing (although there could be a few things tweaked).

DeadNames

Banned
I wonder what the feedback has been so far for the balance update over on Waypoint. Anyone have a rough reaction from that forum?

I feel like here on Halo/Hola GAF we're all pretty much pleased with the balancing (although there could be a few things tweaked).

some babbys at waypoint don't like it.

I'm not overlooking that at all.

Hmm, seemed like it.

4 shot BR is wildly inconsistent for me, but in true Halo fashion, everyone else 4 shots me perfectly.

The hell with burst fire weapons.

My thought is he's going back to Retro Studios.

But they're both in Austin.. so that doesn't help much for guessing.

OT but I can't wait to see what Retro's been working on.

For the most part it's been quite positive although there are some group elements with concerns about:

1. Some liked the old Infinity style ordnance.
2. The game is a bit too fast now.
3. Some of the spawns result in too many power weapons.
4. A sprinkling of plasma pistol & ammo on some maps for slayer pro.
5. Why no BTB objective?

Those seem to be the common negative reactions over the last few days. However there has been an influx of "I'm coming back to play Halo 4" or "Is it worth me coming back now?". The major consensus has been yes play again, bring your friends and many reply post that they agree and are happy they came back. It has been a nice change seeing Waypoint members rally to bring players back and those trying it out now posting positive reactions for the most part.

Same as usual a mixed bag response on the forums but overall more positive than negative, which says a lot really.

I'm not wanting to start another population flame war and I agree the launch lost population, the extent of which I don't have factual metrics, but here's some outside of XBL charts stats to think about:
Total xbox games currently is 952 games (multiplatform: 751; exclusive: 123; console exclusive: 78), source Wikipedia

I also think the drop off charts are similar in trends to other AAA releases. What is the issue with 6th place exactly? Sure I'd like more concurrent users and Halo at #1 but it's not exactly the end of the world for Halo. When you look at the popularity of COD, minecraft and the FIFA/NBA are some of the best sports games/reviews to date it's not all doom and gloom really. Halo was the king, it isn't the king, Halo 4 has been getting better since launch, it's retained 6th place since last month's Major Nelson chart and hopefully the next Halo title includes the ranked vs. social and a better cross section of classic, infinity, customs, features etc at launch. I wonder what that would do to the population retention?

Madness

That's just sad. But what's even more sad is Gears of War Judgment... Behind not only Gears 3 by a lot, but Doritos Crash Course.

And Halo 4 actually fell below NBA way before the playoffs started.

And it's sad. What's the excuse? People said oh it's all the Europeans playing fifa, oh it's still the second shooter, oh everyone loves Minecraft.

Halo 4 is behind two call of duty games, Minecraft, NBA, fifa etc. And it's only barely ahead of BF3 a game that is now almost two years old.

Here's hoping the update brings a lot of folks back. But at this point, you'll either play the game or you won't.

Top Bottom