• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Just got around to watching the Destiny footage and shitttt..... I was thrown off by how slow the gameplay looked. After playing so much PvZ and Titanfall, this game looks sluggish. Throwing grenades is going to hurt my soul, I already know it. Couple that with aiming down the sights and those health bars (I much prefer solely having the visual feedback through enemy shields and movements to indicate the enemy's health).. I don't know.

I'm sure I'll play a lot of it, but now that puts more pressure on Halo 2 Anniversary coming through lol

Omni

I've never been particularly excited about Destiny. From the get go I've been unconvinced. Footage today hasn't changed my opinion... but I guess the beta will decide whether or not I bother to buy the game.

Madness

I see they're starting hire people that have a love for Halo, rather than a hatred..... I'm sorry, but I can't possibly see any sense made in that. I could see if Halo was a near dead franchise, that never really picked up any momentum. That isn't the case though, it already had a very much established fanbase. Has anyone from 343 ever admitted that hiring people that hate Halo was a bad idea?

When did anyone at 343 ever say they hate Halo? I mean I can understand that a lot of them may not be as passionate as we are on forums and in communities, but I don't think anyone hated Halo or what it represents. Also, not every dev needs to completely like what they make.

Omni

When did anyone at 343 ever say they hate Halo? I mean I can understand that a lot of them may not be as passionate as we are on forums and in communities, but I don't think anyone hated Halo or what it represents. Also, not every dev needs to completely like what they make.
I think I remember a quote or something saying they hired people who disliked Halo so that they could improve it? IDK

I think I remember a quote or something saying they hired people who disliked Halo so that they could improve it? IDK

I thought they hired a ton of devs, including "even people who hate Halo." It wasn't a conscious decision to seek them out, it was more that they happened to hire people who didn't like the series but could explain why and be constructive about it IIRC.

I thought they hired a ton of devs, including "even people who hate Halo." It wasn't a conscious decision to seek them out, it was more that they happened to hire people who didn't like the series but could explain why and be constructive about it IIRC.

"not enough cinematic setpieces"
"covenant don't look enough like locusts"
"battlefields are too big"

Chettlar

Banned

Can't find it for some reason but there was a thread about a guy (some lead something designer or whatever) who is quoted as proudly saying he does not like Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Quick question for Frankie: You know when the Master Chief manages to stay on the Lich by using his knife at the end of Shutdown?

Did he jam it in-between two polygons or did he somehow manage to cut through the armor?

Either way that's a pretty strong knife!

He put a grenade on the end, and that stuck in the textures.

Omni

Of course. It would be silly to assume that's all they were doing! Plus I wasn't the one making the argument haha

Destiny probably won't turn the FPS genre "on it's head" but I'm still convinced it'll be a pretty big hit. Probably more so than Titanfall.

Something something Halo 4 related: I'm confused as to how the ejector perk works, sometimes you eject other times you just die. What's up with that?

Chettlar

Banned
89IVLL5.png

I just...what?

Depends. Definitely not $60. $30 is way too much.

Maybe $15? $10?

How long is it compared to the other campaigns?

I bought it at $30 its fun for a while but you get bored pretty fast online, campaign is ..... I never finished it to be honest, one of the grinders stuck on a wall and couldnt advance... so yeah.. the true campaign is in the settings the locked out on the sidequests they put on the walls so is messy

Chettlar

Banned
Frankie, perhaps you could answer this? Or at least part of it? Would be really helpful pls thnks.

Link

---

Thanks, Orochinagis. :) I'll wait for a bit. I did enjoy what I played of the demo.

Would be great if it was a Games with Gold title. I'd get gold immediately for that.

Pathos

Banned
Depends. Definitely not $60. $30 is way too much.

Maybe $15? $10?

How long is it compared to the other campaigns?

The campaign is pretty decent in terms of length and sort of explains some things that happened in Gears 1 (though I felt they just jammed some info there). In terms of multiplayer, it was probably the most aggressive out of all of them, but the cons just weigh it down. Not enough maps, the whole weapon system changes, no locust, jumping off buildings, etc. But I did love overrun, an amazing game type. Hopefully it's in the next gears. But yeah, it is definitely worth the ~$20.

@Sub-Zero

If the initial global ordnance or on map spawns were fixed and fair with the Infinity style random weapon selection removed, drop recon always on for all players with a 10-20 second nav point indicator and continued global ordnance drops as random between 2-4 global locations (not random weapons) we could really have something great.

There's always been this default vs. MLG style battle about weapon spawns, weapon farming, spawn killing and timing spawns etc.

To me this takes the best from across many games and delivers skill with predicability and forced map movement e.g. everyone knows the when and where of incoming weapons. Initial spawn remains classic arena Halo, random GO after that ensures no spawn killing for the rest of the game and relies heavily on team work to secure the next one. None of the random outcomes and none of the debate about default vs. MLG.

It creates a base game across many modes.

Random17

He put a grenade on the end, and that stuck in the textures.
Hehe.

Serious answer? :). It keeps bothering me, for some reason.

Also, did the Mantle's Approach give the Phantoms/Liches shields during the same cutscene, similar to an Engineer? Or do Phantoms have special shields they only use when traversing through slipspace?

Madness

Quick question for Frankie: You know when the Master Chief manages to stay on the Lich by using his knife at the end of Shutdown?

Did he jam it in-between two polygons or did he somehow manage to cut through the armor?

xf70wVW.png

daedalius

Well you made again a snarky driveby comment, what did you expect.

And the Destiny thread is mostly correct, game looks super boring for now

Well and of course, I'm the only one who ever says such things. I ought to be called out for it. We need to keep that kind of snark out of this thread.

jelly

Speaking of that section in the game, I was looking forward to that part being actual game play. What a disappointment when it changed to a cutscene. Battlefield can manage free fall jumps well enough. Would have been cool in Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of that section in the game, I was looking forward to that part being actual game play. What a disappointment when it changed to a cutscene. Battlefield can manage free fall jumps well enough. Would have been cool in Halo 4.

Unless they were going to introduce the mechanic earlier I would rather not have had it playable. I dislike game sections where you flail around trying to figure out what to do and then never use that skill again.

Unless they were going to introduce the mechanic earlier I would rather not have had it playable.I dislike game sections where you flail around trying to figure out what to do and then never use that skill again.
Like in 4 when you fly along the Didacts ship for the first and last time, whilst dodging moving parts that look as if it's been ripped straight from a ratchet and clank level. Did you dislike that?

Slightly OT but this is what H2A and Halo 5 need to do:
Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.
Thread. This is going to be huge on so many levels.. Finally Nintendo is stepping up and taking advantage of their massively popular franchises.

Slightly OT but this is what H2A and Halo 5 need to do:

Thread. This is going to be huge on so many levels.. Finally Nintendo is stepping up and taking advantage of their massively popular franchises.

You make me remember Nintendo reaction about SSB being in EVO, they are pretty assholes about someone using their IPs but thank god they are working out to a competitive level finally.

You make me remember Nintendo reaction about SSB being in EVO, they are pretty assholes about someone using their IPs but thank god they are working out to a competitive level finally.

I loved it when so many Brawl apologists would say how tournaments and streams don't have a significant impact on the popularity of a game to downplay the impact of Brawl being taken out of many competitive scenes. When you have a deliberately sluggish and inconsistent game that doesn't appeal to fans who play your games for years on end, you're drastically limiting the potential for growth, especially if the game design didn't initially hurt the noncompetitive audience in the first place (ie: CE aim assist, movement, etc. compared to Halo 2, Smash 64/Melee hitstun, speed, combo potential, etc. compared to Brawl).

Top Bottom