• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

So Halo CE running at 7680x4320 down sampled to 1080p
Beautiful. I'd love those textures for Forge maps ;]
ajrGL8x_460s_v3.jpg

why are halo players babbies
This is when that stigma was created. Halo 2 was a slower game, had some questionable design decisions like drastically increasing the aim assist unnecessarily which turned an already accessible game into something that felt watered down in terms of a skill gap, and similar trends continued with Halo 3 and Reach.

Halo 2 was a slower game, had some questionable design decisions like drastically increasing the aim assist unnecessarily which turned an already accessible game into something that felt watered down in terms of a skill gap, and similar trends continued with Halo 3 and Reach.
4s aim assist is a new level of ridiculousness. I know some consider 3 to be pretty bad, but after playing 3 then jumping on to 4 it felt like I could put down the controller and watch it play itself.

4s aim assist is a new level of ridiculousness. I know some consider 3 to be pretty bad, but after playing 3 then jumping on to 4 it felt like I could put down the controller and watch it play itself.

While Halo 4 is definitely more than Halo 3, no game in the series comes close to Halo 2. To rank aim assist from least to most, I'd say:

• CE
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 4
  • Reach
  • Halo Wars.
  • Duck Hunt
  • Counter Strike aimbots
  • Halo 2

daedalius

Other than Halo 3 feels like you have an anchor attached to your reticule the entire time you are playing.

Halo 4 by comparison feels amazing. BR aim assist is pretty high, but some of the other rifles aren't quite so much.

Chettlar

Banned
Other than Halo 3 feels like you have an anchor attached to your reticule the entire time you are playing.

Halo 4 by comparison feels amazing. BR aim assist is pretty high, but some of the other rifles aren't quite so much.

4's "handling" is amazing. It feels great, I thought.

3, by comparison, yeah, feels like you've got a brick on the end of your gun. And yet, wonder of wonders, it's significantly more fun. HMMMM. Wonder why.

wwm0nkey

>press X to play.

Bungie why. ;~; I'm still flabbergasted how Microsoft fucked up their relationship with Bungie to the point that Bungie went with Sony. I mean... even the pre-leaked contract between Bungie and Activision stated they had exclusive deals with Microsoft. Microsoft fucked up by letting Sony take Bungie.
Activision, not Bungie. Publishers gave a lot of power.

Havoc2049

>press X to play.

Bungie why. ;~; I'm still flabbergasted how Microsoft fucked up their relationship with Bungie to the point that Bungie went with Sony. I mean... even the pre-leaked contract between Bungie and Activision stated they had exclusive deals with Microsoft. Microsoft fucked up by letting Sony take Bungie.

Soooo true. From the Kinect-era to the Xbox One launch, so many head scratchers and wtf moves. Hopefully Spencer can get the Xbox division back to the OG Xbox and early X360 glory days.

Madness

>press X to play.

Sony didn't take Bungie. Activision signed a deal with Sony on behalf of Bungie since they are publishing Destiny. Just like they have a deal with Microsoft on Call of Duty games and DLC etc. Of course it sucks as longtime Xbox and Bungie fans, but it's nothing too bad. They still know most of their fans came from Xbox.

>press X to play.

I think it was for the best, Activion can be the greated cheap a** greedy company but hell when you earn their marketing support they can even make a celebrity show just for the game announcement

Vico

Since we're talking about the lore...
I really dislike what 343i's doing with Escalation. Half of the stuff that happens in the comics seem to be so important it would deserve to be in a game. It's already sad to know Halo 4 ended right before we got that big "Master Chief is back!!!"-moment (which should have already happened in the game with the Infinity, but it didn't) and we'll probably skip to what happens months/years later next.

They probably won't forget the non-reader with the next game, but man... (Hiding that since I don't know if it's a spoiler to some people here)
Spirit of Fire's comeback
? They're gonna have to explain all of this real well.

Edit: I finally bought Cryptum, though.

Since we're talking about the lore...
I really dislike what 343i's doing with Escalation. Half of the stuff that happens in the comics seem to be so important it would deserve to be in a game. It's already sad to know Halo 4 ended right before we got that big "Master Chief is back!!!"-moment and we'll probably skip to what happens months/years later next.

They probably won't forget the non-reader with the next game, but man... (Hiding that since I don't know if it's a spoiler to some people here)
Spirit of Fire's comeback
? They're gonna have to explain all of this real well.

Edit: I finally bought Cryptum, though.

Most of the novel stuff never make it to the game even FuD have some little mentions despite the huge marketing and the implementations of the terminals were so horrible.

EDIT: I enjoyed reading the Thursday War .it really needed at least mention of Jul Uldama motives in the game, thanks again Duncan.

Vico

Most of the novel stuff never make it to the game even FuD have some little mentions despite the huge marketing and the implementations of the terminals were so horrible.

EDIT: I enjoyed reading the Thursday War .it really needed at least mention of Jul Uldama motives in the game, thanks again Duncan.

I'd be surprised if really nothing from Escalation made it to the games.

When it comes to video content (like FuD), it would seem more logical for it to be linked to the games than books. Since this is a video format, it's close to a videogame format, And more accessible for fans. They could definitely have deepened Master Chief and Lasky's relationship in 4 since a lot of people knew about that guy (more than if FuD's story had been told in a book).

Maybe I'll get proven wrong with numbers, but what I'm saying is that it seems to me more "direct" fans watched FuD than read Cryptum.

I dunno, I've played Halo 2...
I haven't played 2 since I finished it on legendary a bit over a year ago. So only speaking 3 vs 4 aim assist, as it's more recent.

Haven't touched the X1 in two weeks, Titanfall got boring fast. Really need my Halo fix to appreciate the X1 as it is.

I haven't played 2 since I finished it on legendary a bit over a year ago. So only speaking 3 vs 4 aim assist, as it's more recent.

Haven't touched the X1 in two weeks, Titanfall got boring fast. Really need my Halo fix to appreciate the X1 as it is.

I'm much the same on Titanfall, played the beta about a dozen games and played on a handful since the release, bought it digital. I think I'm over progression systems TBH.

I return to Halo 4 a few nights a week still, it controls very nicely, gunplay is damn nice too and the host selection for a group of Aussies is about the best we're getting these days. Hopefully HX1 has a mode with progression and a mode without.

I think I have found my biggest gripe with Halo 4 though, no playlists without guests. I'm all for having playlists that allow them to play but there simply isn't any H4 playlists where no guests are guaranteed. Honestly it completely diminishes ranks, skill/party matching, host fairness and most likely quit/AFK bans too.

TL;DR - ranked and no guests in game in some playlists please. Between having dedis and playlists with no guests in HX1 I'll be in Halo heaven right there. Please no progression system required all the time.

daedalius

4's "handling" is amazing. It feels great, I thought.

3, by comparison, yeah, feels like you've got a brick on the end of your gun. And yet, wonder of wonders, it's significantly more fun. HMMMM. Wonder why.

I'd rather play legendary settings halo 4 tho.

So no, not more fun, at least for me.

I'm much the same on Titanfall, played the beta about a dozen games and played on a handful since the release, bought it digital. I think I'm over progression systems TBH.

I return to Halo 4 a few nights a week still, it controls very nicely, gunplay is damn nice too and the host selection for a group of Aussies is about the best we're getting these days. Hopefully HX1 has a mode with progression and a mode without.

I think I have found my biggest gripe with Halo 4 though, no playlists without guests. I'm all for having playlists that allow them to play but there simply isn't any H4 playlists where no guests are guaranteed.Honestly it completely diminishes ranks, skill/party matching, host fairness and most likely quit/AFK bans too.
I think I'm Gen 3 now? Just lost interest, however it's still a big step up over COD though IMO.
I'm also Aussie. 4 is generally good for me, maybe 1 in 10 games is bad enough to quit.

Guests always garner a groan from everyone if they get put on your team (if you get stuck with 3 guests and one has the voice of a 12 year old and is trash talking, I don't blame you for quitting.)
My main annoyance however is teams. I usually play by myself as most of my friends dislike 4. I unfortunately get paired with randoms who can't hold their own and play against a well organised team that stomps us.

As far as progression systems go I think a system between 3 and 4/Reach could be met.
You have you're true skill or whatever for ranked playlists, but you also have a levelling system where you must win a certain amount of games (3) but also gain enough experience to gain a rank (experience by doing stuff like assassinations, killing sprees aka 4/Reach).
Everyone's happy

Not really an update, but kinda an update on Halo TV and Digital feature.

Other committed-to series include a Halo digital feature from 343 Industries and Scott Free Productions that is expected to debut later this year and the live-action Halo adaptation from executive producer Steven Spielberg. Tellem had no updates on the high-profile Halo project but teased that XES could soon make some announcements about progress on the series.

Via THR.

ElRenoRaven

Well I thought the new Destiny vid was pretty cool, but damn if gaf isn't salty about everything.

Yea I just honestly don't know what everyone is expecting. It's as bad as ever too. It's like everyone expects the game to be some life changing game and it's not going to be. Same thing happened with Titanfall too. I just really don't know anymore.

Top Bottom