• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Chettlar

Banned
Yea I just honestly don't know what everyone is expecting. It's as bad as ever too. It's like everyone expects the game to be some life changing game and it's not going to be. Same thing happened with Titanfall too. I just really don't know anymore.

The issue is bungie are really good and have this aura about them to promote extremely vague and starvation based teaser hype for their games. For an unproven unseen game like destiny this kind of hype backed by activision dollars creates a sense of unknown wonder and/or that destiny will re invent the wheel. Jason even said "were going to take the fps genre and turn it on its head again." But honestly that gameply looked very boring. Maybe I have just played too many fps. When someone says they are turning the genre on its head and hyping the game up to be the next god tier thing people go in expecting a lot more than whats already on the market.

I think some people have a right to be salty but the game doesn't look terrible. Its just not the innovative masterpiece some are hyping it up to be. Personally I am excited for the universe experience bungie is known for. It will be an interesting E3 seeing what kind of halo info will come out. Im still secretly over hyping myself for a halo this year to scratch my fave fps itch =)

Mix

Halo Wars was one of the most well controlling RTS on consoles, but I hate rts games and didn't really get into it.

I see Rod looking for feedback and other stuff on twitter for Gears. I have a good feeling about the future of Gears. Only if Halo was the same way. You can tell Black Tusk wants to do the right thing for Gears.

belushy

Banned
I just hope the next forge is innovative in something feature wise. Hell, Halo 4 forge as is with some sort of terrain editing or object coloring, it would be enough for me. Of course I'd want a lot more, but that would be a nice bare minimum for me.

Halo Wars was one of the most well controlling RTS on consoles, but I hate rts games and didn't really get into it.

The beautiful thing about Halo Wars is that it was promoted as having a similar impact for RTS's on consoles as Halo CE had for FPS's on consoles, but 5 years later and still no sequel.. I never play RTS's, but I got really involved with Halo Wars because it took place in a universe that I care about with characters that interest me.

spideydoesn'teven.jpg

Probably not worth the time and cost investment, considering that the Forge is somewhat niche thing (and for casuals it is good enough, probably).

Forge was an awesome tool back in Reach and Halo 3 which provided players with new contents to play, it had a great impact in the community hubs (see big sites like ForgeHub, Forge Cafe, HWM, THFE which are now basically dead) and the average life of the title (see H4's population).

I still can't believe Forge got zero attention in title updates

They definitely weren't paying much attention when developing Forge it seems.

Mistel

Banned
I just hope the next forge is innovative in something feature wise. Hell, Halo 4 forge as is with some sort of terrain editing or object coloring, it would be enough for me. Of course I'd want a lot more, but that would be a nice bare minimum for me.
As long as the magnets are replaced by precision editing then that's what I'd like to have too as a minimum.

As long as the magnets are replaced by precision editing then that's what I'd like to have too as a minimum.

Magnets can stay, bringing precision editing is a MUST too.

For magnets I'd recommend to make them so that you can toogle them on and off with a simple d-pad button press you know, instead of having the option hidden inside a submenu.

RoKKeR

Been listening to the Reach soundtrack while studying for finals this past week and it is so damn good...nostalgia'ing hard for that campaign. (not so much the MP) Might have to play through it when I get home.

Halo 4 comment: The soundtrack was a soundtrack I suppose. The song that the guy who isn't Davidge wrote was pretty damn good. There were a few standout tracks from Davidge but it lacked charm in my opinion.

Mistel

Banned
Magnets can stay, bringing precision editing is a MUST too.

For magnets I'd recommend to make them so that you can toogle them on and off with a simple d-pad button press you know, instead of having the option hidden inside a submenu.
If they were to be kept fixing the wonky ones would go a long way to appease my distaste for them.

willow ve

It's 2014, my xbox wireless N adapter can't figure out how to connect to a dual band router so I have to STUPIDLY run separate SSIDs for the 5GHz and 2.5Ghz bands.

Then I finally get on Live only to have lobby after fucking lobby vote for Infinity Slayer. Team slayer is one vote to the right you cunts.

daedalius

Game looks good graphic wise, still not seeing the hook. Maybe I'm just burnt out on playing Borderlands over the years.

I guess the hook is supposed to be persistent borderlands + some pvp.

I certainly don't think it is going to turn the genre on its head, but I think the whole thing sounds pretty great.

A pseudo-mmo fps with tons of loot/guns/gear and some (hopefully not completely unbalanced) pvp is something we haven't really had before.

FyreWulff

They definitely weren't paying much attention when developing Forge it seems.

I think they were paying attention. The issue is they tried to insert too much of themselves into the canvases instead of stepping aside and letting people make maps. Forge Island was an acknowledgement of doing this.

Bungie had to learn it the hard way too with Foundry, they arted too much and then stepped back with Sandbox.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
I think they were paying attention. The issue is they tried to insert too much of themselves into the canvases instead of stepping aside and letting people make maps. Forge Island was an acknowledgement of doing this.

Bungie had to learn it the hard way too with Foundry, they arted too much and then stepped back with Sandbox.

You also have to consider 343's first mistake..... Outsourcing forge to Certain Affinity. I'm not saying CA is bad, as they've created some pretty amazing maps. I'm just saying that 343 should have focused on forge and not let an outside dev work on it.

You also have to consider 343's first mistake..... Outsourcing forge to Certain Affinity. I'm not saying CA is bad, as they've created some pretty amazing maps. I'm just saying that 343 should have focused on forge and not let an outside dev work on it.

How come they outsourced it and not work on it themselves?

I just want the next forge to be a full blown map editor. Something on the scale of the Far Cry editor, with Covy, Human, and Forerunner textured geometry. I get real tired of seeing the same textures over and over. Either way, I hope the next forge is at least better than Halo 4's forge.
I think developers for these blockbuster titles will always have this similar problem of balancing out their investments in creating these games with so much content per modes in every installment.

We fans will want more of Forge. More of Campaign. Firefight. And then MP.

But I do agree a more better forge is needed.

Chettlar

Banned
I see Rod looking for feedback and other stuff on twitter for Gears. I have a good feeling about the future of Gears. Only if Halo was the same way. You can tell Black Tusk wants to do the right thing for Gears.

I agree. I'm really, really excited for more Gears.

Heck, I want to try out Gears of War: Judgement because I am just in love with the series right now. Is it worth getting? At least on the cheap?

Woorloog

Banned
Forge was an awesome tool back in Reach and Halo 3 which provided players with new contents to play, it had a great impact in the community hubs (see big sites like ForgeHub, Forge Cafe, HWM, THFE which are now basically dead) and the average life of the title (see H4's population).

Doesn't mean it is worth touching post-launch. Business-wise that is. Adding to it post-launch would be great for dev-community relations but... well, how do you pitch that for your bosses?

Random17

Quick question for Frankie: You know when the Master Chief manages to stay on the Lich by using his knife at the end of Shutdown?

Did he jam it in-between two polygons or did he somehow manage to cut through the armor?

Either way that's a pretty strong knife!

-Candidates must bring a burning passion for and deep knowledge of the Halo universe, especially competitive multiplayer

-Halo fan - be prepared to demonstrate that you've played and thought a lot about the game

bugsjpg.png

Woorloog

Banned
"- At least two AAA title shipped that features your work on multiplayer"
Hmm. How old titles are accepted? Just wondering, because most AAA titles with multiplayer do not have particularly deep multiplayer modes. Of course, one doesn't have to be responsible for those MPs for this job. Luckily, probably.

I agree. I'm really, really excited for more Gears.

Heck, I want to try out Gears of War: Judgement because I am just in love with the series right now. Is it worth getting? At least on the cheap?

How much cheap are we talking? I didnt even bother finishing the campaign.....its just a bunch of mini misions instead of chapters

Didnt the last guy in charge ragequit nearly in the end of the game development?

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Hell yeah.

I see they're starting hire people that have a love for Halo, rather than a hatred..... I'm sorry, but I can't possibly see any sense made in that. I could see if Halo was a near dead franchise, that never really picked up any momentum. That isn't the case though, it already had a very much established fanbase. Has anyone from 343 ever admitted that hiring people that hate Halo was a bad idea?

Top Bottom