• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Nowise10

I don't believe the Halo OT should be unbanned a week after E3. I don't understand the reasoning behind that, as we all know it will just be talked about in this thread, if the Halo OT isn't up. If anything, it should be un-banned a week before E3, so we can discuss what we think we'll see for Halo, and how people will react.

Booshka

Halo OT shouldn't be unbanned until Halo 2 Anniversary has unmolested Halo 2 MP on XBL. 60 FPS would be a bonus, at least then it would be a thread full of people playing and talking about Halo, instead of just talking about it.

Halo OT shouldn't be unbanned until Halo 2 Anniversary has unmolested Halo 2 MP on XBL. 60 FPS would be a bonus, at least then it would be a thread full of people playing and talking about Halo, instead of just talking about it.

Halo OT should be unbanned before E3. that way those of us that want to talk about real halo arent under the Doom of Damocles in this thread.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

iSfnzKVad7P0c.gif

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yup. Bungie really doesn't have a personality anymore for the public. Activision (I am assuming) is making them into a "100% professional no fun allowed" company, in my opinion.

Pretty sure the last time we'll see something like old Bungie, is when DeeJ did those three "Bungie Community Theater" videos

The good old days. Obama was president. Next gen console had just hit. The Hobbit was in theaters.

Man, makes me feel so old!

Nowise10

The good old days. Obama was president. Next gen console had just hit. The Hobbit was in theaters.

Man, makes me feel so old!

You can't deny Bungie has changed from Its old self. It is my opinion though, that the personality is (mostly) gone. Which, I guess, has only happened recently. Time will tell if I'm wrong though, and if things change.

But I'll be sure to remember this as I'm watching live-streams on Bungie day of Playstation users playing Destiny, while I'll be waiting a week for it to release elsewhere :d

God damn.
Cold blooded / shameless.

But it would be real nice for both studios to get back in the podcasting chamber and assault my senses with knowledge and charm.

Would be beautiful if only for the sole reason we'd have a halo game releasing in 2014 sans sprint. I'm still sceptical that will happen. The way it's spoken of in the industry, you 'cant' release an FPS in the modern era without sprint.

After switching to halo 3 exclusively for my halo playtime, I'm wholly convinced that sprint, as much as anything introduced since Reach, is responsible for the decline in quality in multiplayer. It's harmed map design tremendously and balls'd up the balance in objective game types.

Mix

You can't deny Bungie has changed from Its old self. It is my opinion though, that the personality is (mostly) gone. Which, I guess, has only happened recently. Time will tell if I'm wrong though, and if things change.

But I'll be sure to remember this as I'm watching live-streams on Bungie day of Playstation users playing Destiny, while I'll be waiting a week for it to release elsewhere :d

Deej already said that Bungie day will be for both PS and XBOX fans. stop your assumptions and bitching.

Would be beautiful if only for the sole reason we'd have a halo game releasing in 2014 sans sprint. I'm still sceptical that will happen. The way it's spoken of in the industry, you 'cant' release an FPS in the modern era without sprint.

After switching to worst and factually slowest/most sluggish Halo game of the trilogy exclusively for my halo playtime, I'm wholly convinced that sprint, as much as anything introduced since Reach, is responsible for the decline in quality in multiplayer. It's harmed map design tremendously and balls'd up the balance in objective game types.

I find it so bizarre how people throw sprint in with AA's as ruining Halo multiplayer. How can people think sprint ruined this franchise as much as spawning with Jet Packs and Camo AA's off spawn? There's just no comparison, and if you compare the maps from Reach/H4 with past games there's no significant difference in size.

Henery, maybe you can explain to me how games like Murder Miners can have wall jumps, quick dashes and sprint that work well on small arena maps? I'm not trying to be annoying with this sprint argument, but I'm trying to put out there that if sprint is to appear in Halo 5, it's not automatically a bad thing for us to raise pitchforks over. A Camo AA on the other hand? ...

The main difference I see with map design + sprint involve jumps. For example, that jump on Powerhouse to get from the office roof to the Gravity Hammer roof, but that's not an issue because jumps have always been a part of Halo. So what am I missing? How is sprint terrible for Halo?

Again, let's not forget that I'm all for removing sprint and increasing the base player speed, but I'm also not fully opposed to sprint should it return.

I find it so bizarre how people throw sprint in with AA's as ruining Halo multiplayer. How can people think sprint ruined this franchise as much as spawning with Jet Packs and Camo AA's off spawn? There's just no comparison, and if you compare the maps from Reach/H4 with past games there's no significant difference in size.

Henery, maybe you can explain to me how games like Murder Miners can have wall jumps, quick dashes and sprint that work well on small arena maps? I'm not trying to be annoying with this sprint argument, but I'm trying to put out there that if sprint is to appear in Halo 5, it's not automatically a bad thing for us to raise pitchforks over. A Camo AA on the other hand? ...

The main difference I see with map design + sprint involve jumps. For example, that jump on Powerhouse to get from the office roof to the Gravity Hammer roof, but that's not an issue because jumps have always been a part of Halo. So what am I missing? How is sprint terrible for Halo?

Again, let's not forget that I'm all for removing sprint and increasing the base player speed, but I'm also not fully opposed to sprint should it return.

Does CE have sprint? No? Then it's shit then isn't it

wwm0nkey

As much as I like murder miners I do believe it would be A LOT better if it just had fast movement speed and ditched sprint.

One idea I am going to test out on a FPS I'm working on with some people is the idea some of us around here had about limited Dashing/Thrusting being a cool mechanic that wouldn't break maps and lead to more interesting combat encounters.

As much as I like murder miners I do believe it would be A LOT better if it just had fast movement speed and ditched sprint.

Yeah I agree, it would probably play better. Point is though, it still works very well as long as the game has fast kill times and skill-based weapons, on top of fluid animations that don't feel janky like Reach's sprint.
One idea I am going to test out on a FPS I'm working on with some people is the idea some of us around here had about limited Dashing/Thrusting being a cool mechanic that wouldn't break maps and lead to more interesting combat encounters.
Faster movement speed + dashing/thrusting > sprint in every way possible

EDIT:
The way I see it is that Dash/Thrust is a good evolution of the classic arena shooter. Still have on map weapons/powers, everyone with same stats and weapon starts but with a big focus on out shooting and out maneuvering your opponent and thinking how you will use the limited thrusts you have before recharge.

Also want to experiment with double jump when we start working on things since I think you can get pretty cool vertical maps and crazy combat encounters when you combo a double jump and two thrusts to confuse your enemy.
Proof that it's still wanted is in how players welcomed Titanfall's change in movement to CoD style of gameplay. Players are ready for this movement, literally and figuratively lol

wwm0nkey

Yeah I agree, it would probably play better. Point is though, it still works very well as long as the game has fast kill times and skill-based weapons, on top of fluid animations that don't feel janky like Reach's sprint.

Faster movement speed + dashing/thrusting > sprint in every way possible
The way I see it is that Dash/Thrust is a good evolution of the classic arena shooter. Still have on map weapons/powers, everyone with same stats and weapon starts but with a big focus on out shooting and out maneuvering your opponent and thinking how you will use the limited thrusts you have before recharge.

Also want to experiment with double jump when we start working on things since I think you can get pretty cool vertical maps and crazy combat encounters when you combo a double jump and two thrusts to confuse your enemy.

Chettlar

Banned

I don't think anybody said that it's as bad as jet pack and those others. But's it's still bad.

Hey Frankie, when are we going to get news on the next set of Halo books? Isn't one supposed to come out this fall?

That's not really something you announce at E3 so it probably isn't that, right?

You gave me Glimmer

You gave me loot

You gave me Supers in the Traveler's name

I'm every Guardian

You need to be

BU-UN

GI-IE

LO-OST

THEI-IR

PER-ER

SAH-AH

NA-AH LI-TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Sprint is shit if it's not in CE. Sprint is shit. I was being facetious because he altered my post when quoting it.

Sure, camo AA is worse than sprint, but camo isn't universal and sprint is. Sprint completely changes the ebb and pace of Halo, to a point where it feels hurried and frenetic in a cheap sort of way. Go back to playing a Halo without sprint on a regular basis; sprint just feels tacky afterwards.

I think the decline in map quality has been unarguable since Reach. Tellingly, nobody pines for remakes of Reach maps as DLC (and I doubt they will for Halo 4 maps). There was a shift in mentality from the map creators during Reach/4. Instead of focusing on taut, lean, fast moving arena maps or maps with a specific game type in mind ala Zanzibar/Terminal/High Ground they created bloated, sprawling maps to accommodate sprint or to focus on a specific AA ( jet pack on Sword Base). Sure, Halo had big maps before (hello Avalanche) but it just necessitated vehicular transit. Sprint all but renders the mongoose obsolete. Basically, I don't see 343 designers creating Chill Out, Wizard, Middy, Lockout or even Narrows when sprint is in the game. There's been a pretty explicit shift in the baseline gameplay moving from 4v4 centric design to 5v5/8v8 and sprint is part of that. No way consumers would accept that many big maps without sprint to mitigate the pain.

Sprint was responsible for the ludicrous double beat down. Sprint slows down base speed to justify itself. Sprint creates an animation where one cannot shoot in an FPS game. Sprint let's players get away with bad decisions. Sprint is responsible for that hideous panting noise in your ear.

Sprint makes balancing objective game types harder for the playlist managers than they already evidently find it. Let's be honest here, the custodians of Halo's mainstream MM objective gametypes haven't been up to scratch for about 7 years now. Return times have always been too long in standard obj. The amount of games in Reach and 4 where the game just devolved into players getting the flag halfway across the map, dying, then sprinting to get a touch on the flag and capping it death by death was honestly pathetic.

So, yeah, that's why I don't like sprint in Halo. If we do indeed get a straight remake of Halo 2 I'll be grateful. It means fans of standard Halo gameplay get a 'safe' Halo game they find playable for the entirety of the new generation regardless of what happens with Halo 5, which is better than having to rely on the nichce MLG playlist on the 7 year old Halo 3 as is the case now.

Top Bottom