• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Sprint is shit if it's not in CE. Sprint is shit. I was being facetious because he altered my post when quoting it.
Wait, don't tell me you were upset with that? lol I'll just take it as you didn't have enough time to respond properly considering Halo 3 is the most sluggish of the trilogy ;]
Sprint was responsible for the ludicrous double beat down.
Did you forget about the AR/beatdown in Halo 3? Aren't there statistics that show how much beatdowns were used to kill people compared to the BR? Spoiler:
It's a lot.
Plus, sprint + double beatdown wasn't as bad in Halo 4 with stopping power.
You not having confidence in 343 is different than saying sprint is and always will be shit, regardless of how it's implemented. That being said, I pretty much agree with most of what you posted, but I just disagree with the extent to which people blame sprint for poor map design in later Halo games. This is all pointless anyway because sprint should be removed from Halo. Just be ready when you see Master Chief sprinting in Halo 5.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
misterchief.gif

This needs to happen....

Booshka

The way I see it is that Dash/Thrust is a good evolution of the classic arena shooter. Still have on map weapons/powers, everyone with same stats and weapon starts but with a big focus on out shooting and out maneuvering your opponent and thinking how you will use the limited thrusts you have before recharge.

Also want to experiment with double jump when we start working on things since I think you can get pretty cool vertical maps and crazy combat encounters when you combo a double jump and two thrusts to confuse your enemy.
Buy Wired and Gust in Shadowrun and workshop some of these ideas. You can do some really cool Dash, gust jumps and jukes with those two abilities in Shadowrun. Wired also counts as a boost to your jump height and length, so the combos get pretty crazy when you combo it with a Gust jump to start off.

The idea of dashing in any direction without having your movement tied to your player camera sounds great for a faster paced Arena shooter. Incorporating that into your shooting battles mid-fight can create quite the skill ceiling. Limiting this ability is crucial though, don't want it to be too spammy.

Wait, don't tell me you were upset with that? lol I'll just take it as you didn't have enough time to respond properly considering Halo 3 is the most sluggish of the trilogy ;]

Reach is the sluggiest. Much sluggier. Complete slug-fest.

Did you forget about the AR/beatdown in Halo 3? Aren't there statistics that show how much beatdowns were used to kill people compared to the BR? Spoiler:
It's a lot.

Me disliking sprint means I want to see AR beatdown return? Oh, and 343 patched a perk in to Halo 4 to nullify stopping power :)

You not having confidence in 343 is different than saying sprint is and always will be shit, regardless of how it's implemented. That being said, I pretty much agree with most of what you posted, but I just disagree with the extent to which people blame sprint for poor map design in later Halo games. This is all pointless anyway because sprint should be removed from Halo. Just be ready when you see Master Chief sprinting in Halo 5.

Not really when 343 are always going to be making Halo games. And I don't give a fig what Master Chief is doing in Halo 5. I'm 28 now and will be a few months from 30 when 5 releases. New Halo games probably aren't going to be for me and that's fine; why should they be when I don't have the time to invest? They probably should try loads of new wacky shit with the next installment seeing as it's a whole new generation of 10-25 year olds they've got to capture for the future of the franchise on XBO. It's why I said I'll be grateful if they release a Halo 2 remake shorn of nouveau BS. Fans of older Halo could consider themselves lucky if that was the case.

Karl2177

It's a lot.

I would post the numbers, but it's pretty clear that if statistics don't match your agenda, you'll just ignore them. Spoiler:
The BR was by far the highest used weapon in Halo 3 for HaloGAF, and the general population had more BR kills than melee kills by about 2 billion.

Regarding sprint, Henery made a great point a few OTs ago about sprint. "It also leads to a lot encounters where one player accidently sprints into another. The guy not sprinting gets 3 or 4 shots off before the sprinter starts shooting. There's not going to be too many variable outcomes in that situation. So what's the solution for the player? Sprint less. But this is problematic because Halo now has larger maps to accomodate sprint. Nothing is added in pure gameplay terms."

Next Gen Hardware I expect forge to be a complete terrain editor this time around with firefight map's being possible

Firefight will return with a plethora of customization options and with the addition forge maps players will be able to place their own objectives and set complex goals.

Spartan Op's with much more campaign style gameplay. This time you will play as the ODST squad from Halo 3 ODST it's going to bridge the gap between ODST and ODST 2

Multiplayer will launch with clan support, skill ranks, back to basics gameplay and a Legends map pack that includes 10 fan favorite maps from Halo's past.

and then HaloGAF woke up and we got Halo 4.5

Me disliking sprint means I want to see AR beatdown return? Oh, and 343 patched a perk in to Halo 4 to nullify stopping power :)
I don't know where I said you want AR beatdowns to return.. I was just pointing out that melees were always annoying, especially with Halo 3's massive lunge. My point is that melees in Reach and Halo 4 were far less problematic than Halo 3.

Not really when 343 are always going to be making Halo games.
So a studio can't improve?
I would post the numbers, but it's pretty clear that if statistics don't match your agenda, you'll just ignore them.
Funny, many others called you out for this too by the way. Whatever though, guess you'll just ignore them as I'm part of your agenda. But wait, am I playing the victim or just telling the truth? I guess that depends on how you look at it..

IRegarding sprint, Henery made a great point a few OTs ago about sprint. "It also leads to a lot encounters where one player accidently sprints into another. The guy not sprinting gets 3 or 4 shots off before the sprinter starts shooting.
Yes, most of us already agree that sprint should not be in Halo for many reasons.

Striker

Sprint was responsible for the ludicrous double beat down. Sprint slows down base speed to justify itself.
Double beatdowns were occurring very often in Halo 3. Instead of people shooting guns, it became a melee fest (often times with both players getting simultaneous kills) in close quarters. AR rush melee is another travesty that started in that time because they buffed the melee strength after Halo 2.

And the base speed was also painfully slow in Halo 3 when it wasn't bumped from MLG settings.

Karl2177

Funny, many others called you out for this too by the way. Whatever though, guess you'll just ignore them as I'm part of your agenda. But wait, am I playing the victim or just telling the truth? I guess that depends on how you look at it..

Then what did I miss that is a reliable, quantifiable data point? Numbers of vehicles EMP'ed? Not reliable. Amount of fun? Not quantifiable. And it's not like I didn't acknowledge that there were errors, because I did.

I'll ask again, please provide evidence for your statements. "Did you forget about the AR/beatdown in Halo 3? Aren't there statistics that show how much beatdowns were used to kill people compared to the BR? Spoiler: It's a lot." This heavily insinuates that there were more melee kills than BR kills and that there is data to back it up, when that isn't the truth. Bungie's own data shows that the BR was the most used weapon by approximately 2 billion kills(I wish I could be more exact, but when dealing on an order of magnitude of billions and only having 2 sigfigs it's pretty ehhh).

Homeboyd

Next Gen Hardware I expect forge to be a complete terrain editor this time around with firefight map's being possible

Firefight will return with a plethora of customization options and with the addition forge maps players will be able to place their own objectives and set complex goals.

Spartan Op's with much more campaign style gameplay. This time you will play as the ODST squad from Halo 3 ODST it's going to bridge the gap between ODST and ODST 2

Multiplayer will launch with clan support, skill ranks, back to basics gameplay and a Legends map pack that includes 10 fan favorite maps from Halo's past.

and then HaloGAF woke up and we got Halo 4.5
I mean, there it is. Id get an xbone for that.

This heavily insinuates that there were more melee kills than BR kills and that there is data to back it up, when that isn't the truth. Bungie's own data shows that the BR was the most used weapon by approximately 2 billion kills(I wish I could be more exact, but when dealing on an order of magnitude of billions and only having 2 sigfigs it's pretty ehhh).
Man, biggy was right. You are an "idiot."

BR: 15.4 billion
Beatdown: 13.4 billion
AR: 10.4 billion
Sniper (next closest): 6.2 billion
Everything else..

If you want to take me saying, and I quote, "Spoiler: It's a lot." as me implying there were more beatdowns than BR kills, then that's your issue. I knew BR had the most kills.. To each his own I suppose.

And for the record, in a game about SHOOTING, 13.4 billion fucking beatdowns IN A GAME WITHOUT SPRINT and SLOW walking speed is a lot. What world am I living in?
Double beatdowns were occurring very often in Halo 3. Instead of people shooting guns, it became a melee fest (often times with both players getting simultaneous kills) in close quarters. AR rush melee is another travesty that started in that time because they buffed the melee strength after Halo 2.

And the base speed was also painfully slow in Halo 3 when it wasn't bumped from MLG settings.
image.php

Mix

Honestly, if Halo 2 Anniversary is announced at E3, and it has everything we've ever wanted (true Halo 2 multiplayer) How many of you who do not already own an Xbox One will buy one?

Woorloog

Banned
Honestly, if Halo 2 Anniversary is announced at E3, and it has everything we've ever wanted (true Halo 2 multiplayer) How many of you who do not already own an Xbox One will buy one?

If MS will have something interesting (and new, none of their existing IPs, released or revealed, aside from Halo is interesting to me), other than Halo, it will be a nice bonus game. Primary? Meh. Won't sell me Live Gold either, i'm not that keen on playing Halo 2 MP (though if they fix the goddamn glitches from MM, then perhaps...).

I don't think the game will be a system mover though, Xbone becoming more available in B Tier countries alone will help more.
It will be a filler Halo game, MP or no, i think. Now i wouldn't be surprised if it will sell well for an Xbone game but it sure as hell won't sell the same numbers original Halo 2 did.
And i doubt it will have full Halo 2 multiplayer, if it even will have any kind of MP at all. Halo 5 alpha/beta multiplayer on the other hand... you know, something they patch and constantly get feedback for the final Halo 5 MP, with servers closing when Halo 5 is released...

Chettlar

Banned

Not that Halo 3 was good in this respect, and it's certainly something that should have been fixed, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actively likes CQC.

Nice man. Thread will probably remain open for a long time!

I think Ghaleon/other mods will understand my first half-insult around here.
If MS will have something interesting (and new, none of their existing IPs, released or revealed, aside from Halo is interesting to me), other than Halo, it will be a nice bonus game. Primary? Meh. Won't sell me Live Gold either, i'm not that keen on playing Halo 2 MP (though if they fix the goddamn glitches from MM, then perhaps...).
You're going to buy H2A and you're going to love it.

I would post the numbers, but it's pretty clear that if statistics don't match your agenda, you'll just ignore them. Spoiler:
The BR was by far the highest used weapon in Halo 3 for HaloGAF, and the general population had more BR kills than melee kills by about 2 billion.

Nice

I was just pointing out that melees were always annoying, especially with Halo 3's massive lunge. My point is that melees in Reach and Halo 4 were far less problematic than Halo 3.

Never miss a chance to shit on Halo 3 even when it's not being discussed whatsoever lol.

In case it wasn't contextually clear, I was obviously talking about sprint double beat down. You know, the one where the opponent accelerates towards you but you can't back peddle at the same speed. So yes, melees were always annoying but sprint compounds that problem. Of course the solution is to move to a 3 beat down kill but that won't happen.

And yes, base speed in Halo 3 was slow. What does that have to do with sprint slowing the default speed to justify itself? Reach's default movement speed was SLOWER than Halo 3's. To 343's credit they increased the base speed in Halo 4 for the turbo update and it improved the game a lot.

Nice

Never miss a chance to shit on Halo 3 even when it's not being discussed whatsoever lol.

In case it wasn't contextually clear, I was obviously talking about sprint double beat down. You know, the one where the opponent accelerates towards you but you can't back peddle at the same speed. So yes, melees were always annoying but sprint compounds that problem. Of course the solution is to move to a 3 beat down kill but that won't happen.

And yes, base speed in Halo 3 was slow. What does that have to do with sprint slowing the default speed to justify itself? Reach's default movement speed was SLOWER than Halo 3's. To 343's credit they increased the base speed in Halo 4 for the turbo update and it improved the game a lot.

3 beat downs sounds problematic. Would the first or second pop the shield? Also you will have people exchanging 5 beatdowns, Which is awful. Also the current strength of a beatdown means you know when you can go in for the close quaters kill, weaker beatdowns extend that time to a fraction of a second before a headshot would kill you.

Basically 3 beat downs remove beat downs being even remotely useful.

Funions was talking about Halo was a SHOOTING game earlier and I disagree with that. Halo has 3 pillars. Shooting, Nades, Beatdowns. These all work well together. If it was really a Shooting game it would be like Killzone where the only valid thing to do is shoot. Halo isn't that.

They should experiment with low-grade counters as a defense against melee spammers. Successfully block and parry a charging melee and lob one back that does double damage, etc.

Fuchsdh

They should experiment with low-grade counters as a defense against melee spammers. Successfully block and parry a charging melee and lob one back that does double damage, etc.

So essentially sword clangs for melee?

Speaking of which, Halo Reach is the only game where you can block a sword with a melee, right? I miss having a counter to the sword in 4.

Funions was talking about Halo was a SHOOTING game earlier and I disagree with that. Halo has 3 pillars. Shooting, Nades, Beatdowns. These all work well together. If it was really a Shooting game it would be like Killzone where the only valid thing to do is shoot. Halo isn't that.

Except Killzone never had the movement options of Halo, amongst many other things like vehicles.. You guys say the golden triangle of Halo, yet you like Halo 3 grenades. If you REALLY liked that triangle then you would want powerful grenades in Halo.. not what we've seen from Halo 2 and 3.

One minute people want less melees, weaker grenades and more emphasis on shooting, and another minute people want to believe in this equal distribution of a golden triangle. Happens all the time; people throw that golden triangle of harmony around a lot. And to be honest, duh. Many shooters are all about shooting, grenades, and melees. Bungie just made it all pretty.

Woorloog

Banned
Was there any particular reason Bungie upped melee damage so dramatically for Halo 3 compared to Halo CE and 2?

You're going to buy H2A and you're going to love it.

If it will be on 360 (or PC), sure. Campaign i love even without better graphics. MP, meh, was never that keen on Halo 2 MP when it wasn't a real small scale local game (3-4 players). Never felt the same on Live.
It is all down to Microsoft and whether they can deliver something truly interesting for Xbox One. Something like Mass Effect would do (ie epic scale scifi. Not going to play any more Mass Effect even if it were Xbone exclusive though). Or a fantasy game with world building rivaling the Elder Scrolls (preferably with splitscreen co-op, such a game would become likely my game of the forever instantly).
As i've said, Halo alone doesn't interest me.
Of course, the same applies to Sony, PS4 ain't got anything interesting either really (though Planetside 2 (don't like playing shooters on PC) and The Order are interesting, they're merely "bonus").

Except Killzone never had the movement options of Halo, amongst many other things like vehicles.. You guys say the golden triangle of Halo, yet you like Halo 3 grenades. If you REALLY liked that triangle then you would want powerful grenades in Halo.. not what we've seen from Halo 2 and 3.

One minute people want less melees, weaker grenades and more emphasis on shooting, and another minute people want to believe in this equal distribution of a golden triangle. Happens all the time; people throw that golden triangle of harmony around a lot. And to be honest, duh. Many shooters are all about shooting, grenades, and melees. Bungie just made it all pretty.

For the vast majority of shooters Melee is useless and grenades are slow and worthless unless the person is going to be stood around for 6 seconds while they explode.

Halo 2 and 3 grenades are fine, They do what they should. Strip shield or mop up a kill round a corner. Having wide blast powerful "nuke" grenades lessens the requirement of skillful placement and throws players off because what previous titles taught them was a safe radius no longer is.

The vast majority of stuff like this is entirely personal.

If we look at sprint for example even HaloGAF comprised of about 50 members is split. We have people who love it, People who HATE it and people who are indifferent.

Chettlar

Banned

What kind of jump in logic is that? We like the triangle balanced. The triangle does not mean, EVERYTHING IS SUPER POWERFUL. It means that everything works together, and nothing is over powered.

I've always thought CE's grenades were overpowered. When I finally played Reach, 3, and then 2 (at which point I also played CE and 3's multiplayer), they just felt so much better. CE's frags especially are just way to powerful.

Having wide blast powerful "nuke" grenades lessens the requirement of skillful placement and throws players off because what previous titles taught them was a safe radius no longer is.
Let's not forget there are other factors to grenades like bounciness and fuse time. So I'm not sure if you're implying that CE doesn't require as much skill as later Halo games, but that would be false, especially if you remember how the double melee worked and that you could grenade weapons to you. If there's any Halo game that bleeds skill in its grenade usage, it's CE.

EDIT:
What kind of jump in logic is that? We like the triangle balanced. The triangle does not mean, EVERYTHING IS SUPER POWERFUL. It means that everything works together, and nothing is over powered.
Melees in Halo 3 were overpowered and grenades in Reach were overpowered because of the terrible jump height, slower walking speed and subpar strafe (combined with shorter fuse times and how they would instaplode by getting stuck in geometry). The golden triangle was at its best in CE and Halo 4, if we have to compare/list.

I've always thought CE's grenades were overpowered. When I finally played Reach, 3, and then 2 (at which point I also played CE and 3's multiplayer), they just felt so much better. CE's frags especially are just way to powerful.
Look above. This is one of those things where you need the experience Chettar. Not to sound elitist, but you've openly said you have little experience with CE, so maybe you shouldn't be making such claims.

When looking at the entire package, CE's grenades were not overpowered. The only mistake Bungie made with them was putting so damn many on the map and allowing players to spawn with 4 of each.

Havoc2049

Was there any particular reason Bungie upped melee damage so dramatically for Halo 3 compared to Halo CE and 2?

If it will be on 360 (or PC), sure. Campaign i love even without better graphics. MP, meh, was never that keen on Halo 2 MP when it wasn't a real small scale local game (3-4 players). Never felt the same on Live.
It is all down to Microsoft and whether they can deliver something truly interesting for Xbox One. Something like Mass Effect would do (ie epic scale scifi. Not going to play any more Mass Effect even if it were Xbone exclusive though). Or a fantasy game with world building rivaling the Elder Scrolls (preferably with splitscreen co-op, such a game would become likely my game of the forever instantly).
As i've said, Halo alone doesn't interest me.
Of course, the same applies to Sony, PS4 ain't got anything interesting either really (though Planetside 2 (don't like playing shooters on PC) and The Order are interesting, they're merely "bonus").

What about Halo 2A, Halo 5, Halo Wars 2 or Age of Empires or MechCommander RTS, D4, Fable Legends, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark and Quantum Break?

Ghazi

Last night ExWife, Prinz, Daedelus, and I were playing H4 and I spent the first few matches trying to wallrun and double jump. It's insane how well you'd think those things would fit into the universe.

Such a shame 343/Bungie didn't think of them first.

Last night ExWife, , Prinz, Daedelus, and I were playing H4 and I spent the first few matches trying to wallrun and double jump. It's insane how well you'd think those things would fit into the universe.

Halo 3 had all sorts of geometry hops.

Last night ExWife, Prinz, Daedelus, and I were playing H4 and I spent the first few matches trying to wallrun and double jump. It's insane how well you'd think those things would fit into the universe.

I remember before Halo 4 came out I thought that the thruster pack was going to be a double jump.

Chettlar

Banned

I'm telling you guys. It's a good idea.

But no, nobody agrees when I suggest it.

wwm0nkey

EDIT:
Proof that it's still wanted is in how players welcomed Titanfall's change in movement to CoD style of gameplay. Players are ready for this movement, literally and figuratively lol
TitanFall, Zone of the Enders, Halo, and Quake are all things we are taking ques from right now and all of these franchises either do or did have really nice movement. I believe movement was something that was massively under looked when it came to this generation of shooters and it's still a under looked aspect but seems like the idea of it being important is finally getting out there and I want to make it a big focus of what I'm doing and I hope Halo 5 does as well.

Hell movement improves just about any game out there really.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Question:

What were the numbers earlier in Halo 3's life?

I'd love to see the stats of kills per weapon at the 3 month mark, the 6, and the 12.

Top Bottom