• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Canonically it's the MKVI that he put on in Cairo Station. But I'm pretty sure it's one of those things that we're supposed to just ignore and chalk up to engine developments or whatever. Like how the armour changed between Halo 2 and 3. Just a lot more drastic

They touched on nano machines in Glasslands but that was on Naomi's MKVII, not the. MKVI (which begs to question why they brought it up in the first place)

Yeah its the MKVI that he got on Cairo Station. we are supposed to ignore the redesigned Covenant that look like locust.

i can understand changing things because of a 'better' iteration of the engine but those are drastic changes.

jem0208

Yeah its the MKVI that he got on Cairo Station. we are supposed to ignore the redesigned Covenant that look like locust.

i can understand changing things because of a 'better' iteration of the engine but those are drastic changes.

The redesigned Covenant is because they are a subspecies according to 343.

all of them being subspecies is just lazy imo. they should just admit that they redesigned the covenant to get away from bungie's designs. whilst making them all seem just generic different sized (elites, Grunts) and godzilla 2000's jackals.

and im pretty sure the "subspecies" thing only applies to the Grunts and Jackals. so that doesnt excuse the Elites.

Sordid

Canonically it's the MKVI that he put on in Cairo Station

Yeah its the MKVI that he got on Cairo Station.

Ugh. I really hope they don't use Halo 4 assets in H2A. Imagine this guy
3TyhH5T.jpg
saying these lines. It just wouldn't fit imo.

Doesn't that only apply to the jackals? I thought the grunts and elites were just redesigns.

Isn't the canon reason for the armor change that cortana made so improvements using nano machines while chief was in cryo.

What we never get an explanation of is how while aboard a forerunner ship he managers to get hold of some new gloves. I can headcanon this as nano machines now.

Early H3 models still had the Halo 2 gloves I believe.

Edit: Yup

IYiFQrO.jpg

Omni

Isn't the canon reason for the armor change that cortana made so improvements using nano machines while chief was in cryo.

What we never get an explanation of is how while aboard a forerunner ship he managers to get hold of some new gloves. I can headcanon this as nano machines now.

No. She updated his HUD. MKVI doesn't have nano-machines. That's the MKVII you're thinking of.

Change for the sake of change.

Haven't we already discussed our hatred for the illogical change in armour for the MC like 6 times. We need E3 fast we're in relapse.

El_Chino

IYiFQrO.jpg
I wish 343i did Bungie style vidocs :(

Mistel

Banned
So it's still MK VI but changed for reasons. I wonder if we will ever get something more akin to the older armors again? Or will it end up like all the ugly gen 2 stuff.

I just wish they would have said "We changed the armor. Artistic liberties were taken."

And I hope it happens again, at least to the shoulder pads and maybe the chest.

ElRenoRaven

I just wish they would have said "We changed the armor. Artistic liberties were taken."

And I hope it happens again, at least to the shoulder pads and maybe the chest.

Yup. That's what annoys me. The armor still had damage in spots the original had. There is nothing wrong with just saying we decided to take some liberties with the armor. I think people respect that over coming up with some insane reason that just doesn't make sense.

Now keep in mind I'm not saying nano machines could never make sense but they would only if it had been established beforehand with the armor. That or just have had him in the old armor until hooking back up with Infinity and then have them give him that armor with the Nanomachines being mentioned.

Now that all said I've actually grown to really like the armor except the shoulder thrusters like you. Reduce the size of those a bunch to be more inline with the original armor and you can keep the rest of the design.

Omni

Frank talks about Chiefs armor having Nanomachines here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjswoU39AOY

Can't watch but as far as I'm aware not once in any Halo fiction has it been stated that the MKVI has nanobots or whatever. If Frankie said it there then I just feel like they've pulled it out of their asses to try and please the people who wouldn't ever care to ask in the first place and to irritate those that have kept up with the universe previously.

Whatever the case, of all redesigns to complain about in Halo 4, Chief's armour is the least worrying as it still looks decent.

Why didn't they just say later models of the Hushed Casket contained Spartan-grade nanomachines?

"Starting in 2552, changes were made to particular cryostasis units to make emergency modifications after having to store damaged or otherwise medically destabilized Spartans and having several deaths due to untreated damages. This change was spearheaded by Spartan Linda."

Woorloog

Banned
Why didn't they just say later models of the Hushed Casket contained Spartan-grade nanomachines?

"Starting in 2552, changes were made to particular cryostasis units to make emergency modifications after having to store damaged or otherwise medically destabilized Spartans and having several deaths due to untreated damages. This change was spearheaded by Spartan Linda."

That would have worked perfectly.

Cortana in Reach looked like the Halo 2 one. At least from my memory.

edit:

http://www.gamingangels.com/wp-cont...alo-Reach-the-Package-26-Halsey-_-Cortana.jpg

Looks like they made a Reach specific version of Cortana. She has elements of H2 Cortana and H3 Cortana.
I don't know exactly, but the Reach Cortana in the retcon part of the lore is basically the Ancilla half of the two Cortana fragments while the other original half with the personalities and ONI Intel was aboard the ship PoA.

Oh in halo CE, Cortana would change colors from pink, to blue, and purple along with little green, red, blue, and yellow lines or her eyes would change at different cutscenes based on the mood bungie was portraying her with chief.

In Halo CEA, you don't see any of that in the remastered version.

In Halo 4 cutscenes, due to rampancy, cortana would glitch red indicating her condition. Annnnnd then we see the crazy white eyes along with the yelling and threats inside Infinitys bridge room.

Chettlar

Banned

IYiFQrO.jpg

I never could stand those gloves. They always remind me of this.

dice1.gif

ElRenoRaven

BTW for anyone that is having the nvidia graphics bug with Halo 2 vista a user in this thread has said Nvidia has found the bug and a fix should be coming in a future driver update.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst237222_Halo-2-PC-graphics-issue-on-Windows-8-1.aspx

NVIDIA recently updated my support call with them, as far as I understand they have identified the bug that they fixed in the prior drivers and should be reintroducing the fix into upcoming drivers.

Keep an eye out for new drivers and then test.

Tzeentch

Now keep in mind I'm not saying nano machines could never make sense but they would only if it had been established beforehand with the armor.
We know very little about the mechanisms of a MJOLNIR suit. To add a shade of canonical doubt as to the source of the aesthetic changes, Cortana doesn't outright say she rebuilt the suit in Halo 4 IIRC, her line is:

Cortana: I rewrote your suits firmware while you were out.
Chief: You've been busy.

In my headcanon: The tubes contain access ports for medical intervention. Cortana could have utilized the minifacturing capabilities remaining on the FUD to piecewise assemble new components and used those access ports and medical systems to replace elements of the Chief's armor.

The alternate explanation is that the design simply changed due to art considerations without any particular need to reference rebuilding the armor while in stasis, much like the FUD itself did.

Winter Soldier Slayer?

haha not really, I don't think I'll be releasing any Slayer variant anymore, only new objective based gametypes ;)

I loved the whole hellcarriers fyring at eachother thing and wanted an excuse to have an aircraft shooting missiles and gauss shots from above.

I found a way to spawn rocket/gauss turrets without the warthog attached, so in a way you can have stationary turrets.

wwm0nkey

haha not really, I don't think I'll be releasing any Slayer variant anymore, only new objective based gametypes ;)

I loved the whole hellcarriers fyring at eachother thing and wanted an excuse to have an aircraft shooting missiles and gauss shots from above.

I found a way to spawn rocket/gauss turrets without the warthog attached, so in a way you can have stationary turrets.
.... You have my attention with this

I was thinking, if H2A is real and if it has the real mp remade, MS is going to have to advertise the crap out of that fact. They really pissed a lot of people off with their mistakes regarding Halo CEA MP and I think a lot of casuals will assume the same was done with H2A unless it's thrown in their face.

II SHABUTIE II

Neo Member
Holy shit Halo 4 split-screen is a horrible experience.

It really is.... I've had friends over on several occasions and we end up playing Reach classic or Halo 3, because of how unplayable Halo 4 is, over split-screen. My brother and I both have 360's and Halo 4. We would never play split on that game. I really hope they don't mess that up for future titles.

Nowise10

I kind of see what you're saying. May be an unfortunate side effect of a 400+ team and Activision marketing.

Yup. Bungie really doesn't have a personality anymore for the public. Activision (I am assuming) is making them into a "100% professional no fun allowed" company, in my opinion.

Pretty sure the last time we'll see something like old Bungie, is when DeeJ did those three "Bungie Community Theater" videos

Top Bottom