• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Shadders

Wow, $500k ..

I hope it's tiered again so BKs like me still have a chance. No mention of Virgin Gaming though, have they been booted?

Yes. Quinn should be the lead Multiplayer designer of Halo Xbox One. Or at least he should share the position with Kevin.

Sorry for double post. You're right. Kevin franklin is MP designer. So then level designer, that's something Ellis could probably get no? I mean I enjoyed the season part of Spartan Ops, great spaces to play. With Bravo there for matchmaking playlists etc. Quinn to help with overall multiplayer, I'm hopeful for the next game. Whoever gets Kynan's position should be made to play all Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 maps over and over until they understand why those maps worked best.
David Ellis was Mission designer in Spartan Ops. He did the encounters, but not the area.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So am I really not going to be able to play Halo 4 when the One comes out unless I keep my 360 hooked up? Bah. Both the 360 and PS3 are going in storage once the new consoles hit.

Fuchsdh

So am I really not going to be able to play Halo 4 when the One comes out unless I keep my 360 hooked up? Bah. Both the 360 and PS3 are going in storage once the new consoles hit.

I wanna know why they don't have backwards compatibility. I mean the OG Xbox was Pentium-based, not PowerPC, but they managed to get the vast majority of good titles on 360 anyhow. Doesn't seem like te difference in architecture is the deciding factor.

Madness

Why though? Just keep them hooked up. I understand storing the consoles when not in use, but if you actually still want to play Halo 4, keep it out.

For me backwards compatibility is such a non issue. I couldn't play my NES games on Super Nintendo, couldn't play SNES games on N64 etc. So I'm used to it now. I did wish my XBLA purchases like Shadow Complex, Trials, Street Fighter HD would transfer over though.

Risen

I wanna know why they don't have backwards compatibility. I mean the OG Xbox was Pentium-based, not PowerPC, but they managed to get the vast majority of good titles on 360 anyhow. Doesn't seem like te difference in architecture is the deciding factor.

I'd guess it all just depends in what kind of architecture you're talking about. If they want to provide an emulation environment, that works, as well as cloud based streaming - no matter the architecture. Certainly that's what Sony has put out their in interviews.

Naked Lunch

I wasnt the biggest of fan of Halo 4 when it released - and ive been a diehard Halo fan since the original - esp multiplayer. I came back to H4 in the past 2 weeks after news of the latest title update and I must say I am now (finally) enjoying the game. Its still no Halo 2 or 3 but it is fun. The animation in this game is just incredible - and I love all the movement options. I doubt I can play Halo now without the boost thruster. On the bad side, objective modes are simply not as good as the past games. I cant believe there is no 1 flag CTF or assault yet.

Questions:
-Why does the latest map pack never come up in matchmaking? and I mean never. I havent seen them once. I bought the limited edition way back when so thats how I have the DLC.

-Is there a CTF variant that doesnt show the flag carrier at all times? I really dislike that they completed dumbed down CTF with this "feature". The entire map is on you like a magnet when you grab the flag. Halo CTF is my favorite thing of the entire franchise - so its hard to see it dumbed down so much. I do like how there seems to be alot more maps used in CTF than when I initially played H4.

-Is there a BTB objective playlist? I didnt see one. 8v8 CTF on big maps is Halo at its best.

-Dominion is fun but it seems hard to make a comeback. We need assault back (unless its aready there somewhere).

-Why does the latest map pack never come up in matchmaking? and I mean never. I havent seen them once. I bought the limited edition way back when so thats how I have the DLC.

DLC has never been implemented well in a Halo game (besides 2). If you can get a full party of people that have the DLC you're more likely to get it

-Is there a CTF variant that doesnt show the flag carrier at all times? I really dislike that they completed dumbed down CTF with this "feature". The entire map is on you like a magnet when you grab the flag. Halo CTF is my favorite thing of the entire franchise - so its hard to see it dumbed down so much. I do like how there seems to be alot more maps used in CTF than when I initially played H4.

Nope. I don't know why it exists. Probably to help the people who are awful (like ordnance drops)

-Is there a BTB objective playlist? I didnt see one. 8v8 CTF on big maps is Halo at its best.

No, but it is coming soonTM. Normal objective is 6v6 and it's going to be changed to 8v8 next week I think.

-Dominion is fun but it seems hard to make a comeback. We need assault back (unless its aready there somewhere).

Assault isn't in the game. Don't know why they removed it.

Or any other Halo, at least until the xbone remastered trilogy comes out. Putting the 360 in storage makes no sense if you like to replay any 360 games.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why though? Just keep them hooked up. I understand storing the consoles when not in use, but if you actually still want to play Halo 4, keep it out.

For me backwards compatibility is such a non issue. I couldn't play my NES games on Super Nintendo, couldn't play SNES games on N64 etc. So I'm used to it now. I did wish my XBLA purchases like Shadow Complex, Trials, Street Fighter HD would transfer over though.

Space, lack of HDMI ports (my Onkyo has 6 and they are all filled), etc. Not worth keeping a system out so I can play one game.

I thought 343 would do a download version of the H4 multiplayer for XBO or something.

Fuchsdh

Space, lack of HDMI ports (my Onkyo has 6 and they are all filled), etc. Not worth keeping a system out so I can play one game.

I thought 343 would do a download version of the H4 multiplayer for XBO or something.
Well, still unlikely but there's plenty of time to make an announcement in the coming months before launch.

Madness

It's doubtful. It would just be money down the drain. How many people would rebuy Halo 4? Unlike a game like Minecraft, Halo 4 has limited replayability.

The millions who already bought and beat the campaign, beat Spartan Ops, they'd only really have the multiplayer. And if they are Halo fans or Xbox fans, they probably still play the 360 version or stopped playing it altogether.

Sure you can say the gameplay would be better, better graphics, framerate etc. But the potential audience would be limited as well. You're looking at what 1-4 million XbOne sales within a year. The majority of early buyers are gamers as well.

Would you guys really double dip and buy the game again?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Who would pay to have this? 343 wouldn't offer this work for free, and all it would achieve is to further splinter the meager player base.

They could give it to people with Halo 4 for free, and sell it to others for $15 or something. Hell, I'd pay $10 or something to have it on XBO with some work done to it.

They could give it to people with Halo 4 for free, and sell it to others for $15 or something. Hell, I'd pay $10 or something to have it on XBO with some work done to it.

I don't see how it would be worth it for them to do. Releasing it for XBO isn't that simple, there is a different processing architecture to the XBO, it would require significant work to port it to XBO.

Whether this is true or not depends on your perspective, but it made me laugh.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

It would be awesome if a big corporate exec literally talked like this.

x33HZjQ.jpg

Whether this is true or not depends on your perspective, but it made me laugh.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

It would be awesome if a big corporate exec literally talked like this.
It certainly would have won me over. Mattrick needs hire a speech writer who knows how to properly speak to human people, not board members.

I don't see how it would be worth it for them to do. Releasing it for XBO isn't that simple, there is a different processing architecture to the XBO, it would require significant work to port it to XBO.
Yep. Plus, people that bought Halo 4 don't necessarily get the DLC for 'free' so there would be a zero likelihood that this kind of work would be gratis for people that own the 360 version.

Holy shit. This is kinda true.

lol yep

MS: "People are using their 360's for entertainment more than for games, we should make sure the new console has cool new features for that."
Internet: "Nope! No one wants to use their console for TV!"
MS: "Well that's not true, plenty of people do, so we should have new features."
Internet: "NOPE FUCK YOU"

--------------

I wish that Don draft was real lol, so good.

Omni

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh my god - forerunner SWAT on Complex is remarkably different. I got brutalized on spawns last night till I adjusted.

gAg CruSh3r

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
what's the difference? I couldn't get any votes for anything other than regular SWAT last time I tried the playlist.

On Haven? You don't zoom as much (or at least I don't) because the rifle is more flexible unscoped and Pulse Grenades are in play as distractions and occasional killers. But on Complex - it becomes a kind of rapid fire sniper match, in feel at least. Grenades are basically unused.

Hard to describe but you end up with a lot of spawn activity - reactive and aggressive.

Top Bottom