• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Caja 117

Whether this is true or not depends on your perspective, but it made me laugh.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

It would be awesome if a big corporate exec literally talked like this.

Yeah, I still would had wanted a SKU without kinect, i had one for my 360 and it felt less problematic to just use the controller,I ended up selling that kinect.

An SKU Xbone at 400 usd without Kinect and the Xbox One would've have been much better than dropping the DRM policy.

And, I doubt the internet was the real reason MS decided to drop that policy, MS, as I know how global corporations work, dont make decisions like this based on whims from the internet.

On Haven? You don't zoom as much (or at least I don't) because the rifle is more flexible unscoped and Pulse Grenades are in play as distractions and occasional killers. But on Complex - it becomes a kind of rapid fire sniper match, in feel at least. Grenades are basically unused.

Hard to describe but you end up with a lot of spawn activity - reactive and aggressive.

People used zoom on Haven SWAT? Ya'll doin' it wrong.

In any case, lightning flag has prepared me for this. If only there were auto-sentries...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
People used zoom on Haven SWAT? Ya'll doin' it wrong.

In any case, lightning flag has prepared me for this. If only there were auto-sentries...

I walk the halls zoomed, then zoom out at the corners. Same on Adrift, but not on any other maps. And only BR, not DMR.

I walk the halls zoomed, then zoom out at the corners. Same on Adrift, but not on any other maps. And only BR, not DMR.

Adrift I can see maybe forcing you into sightlines, but both maps it's all about dat magnum. Just run around in tight, irregular patterns (including fancy-pants jumps) and dominate. Unless it's Complex/Ragnarok/etc, pistol is where it's at in SWAT.

On Haven? You don't zoom as much (or at least I don't) because the rifle is more flexible unscoped and Pulse Grenades are in play as distractions and occasional killers. But on Complex - it becomes a kind of rapid fire sniper match, in feel at least. Grenades are basically unused.

Hard to describe but you end up with a lot of spawn activity - reactive and aggressive.
Interesting. Have the spawns been changed for SWAT on Complex? I ask because it's fairly common to snipe people before they're able to move from certain respawn points.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Interesting. Have the spawns been changed for SWAT on Complex? I ask because it's fairly common to snipe people before they're able to move from certain respawn points.

Apparently not, but there is plenty of cover. It's just hard to train yourself not to run straight out like Leroy Jenkins.

Whether this is true or not depends on your perspective, but it made me laugh.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

It would be awesome if a big corporate exec literally talked like this.

You know, for the most part its exactly how i feel. I pre-ordered the bone before all this crap. I was willing to give up trading in my games to have every game designed from the ground up using the cloud features and that game sharing thing. Honestly, all they needed to do was require you to "check-in" whenever you got a new game, but then allow you to go offline (even forever if you want) or until the next game you bought, if ever you bought one. Like on pc for activating. People wanted the ability to play offline for long periods, not a removal of everything that made One unique. Now its more of the same which i guess isnt bad, but isnt necessarily ground breaking either. I only thing i really had a problem with was the 24 hour check in. Other than that, i thought it had potential that way.

At first i was really angry, and as info was coming out it was growing on me. The big problem with MS wasnt necessarily the system but how no one seemed to know what the fuck was going on. You ask how something works, you get 3 different answers. Get your shit together MS.

edit: Oh, any news on a release date for Spartan Assault Frankie? Or did i miss that info at e3?

Madness

It'll certainly be inspired by Titanfall considering he was amazed by a private demonstration.

Was it Josh Holmes or Kevin Franklin?

I think TitanFall is going to influence a lot of shooters. Could be a good thing since the game is fast paced.

I still think 343 should scrap Armor Abilities. Make Camo, Speed Boost, Damage Boost and Overshield power ups to be picked up. Make Thruster standard for everyone. Make it recharge based. Add in a double jump. Increase movement and strafe speed, get rid of sprint. Want to get across the map fast? Use thrust when you have it, or use ghost, mongoose, warthog etc.

Make sentry, jetpack, hologram as part of special playlists. Not everything needs to be in multiplayer. Rock N Rail, Snipers with Hologram AA etc.

Proelite

New Mantis ordnance drops.

Vehicles droven by onboard AI that follows you around.

Spartan wall running and jumping.

Giant multiplayer maps with NPCs and story elements.

im-ok-with-this_zps1c4cb7e9.jpg

DeadNames

Banned
Was it Josh Holmes or Kevin Franklin?

I think TitanFall is going to influence a lot of shooters. Could be a good thing since the game is fast paced.

I still think 343 should scrap Armor Abilities. Make Camo, Speed Boost, Damage Boost and Overshield power ups to be picked up. Make Thruster standard for everyone. Make it recharge based. Add in a double jump. Increase movement and strafe speed, get rid of sprint. Want to get across the map fast? Use thrust when you have it, or use ghost, mongoose, warthog etc.

Make sentry, jetpack, hologram as part of special playlists. Not everything needs to be in multiplayer. Rock N Rail, Snipers with Hologram AA etc.

I literally made a gametype with universal thrusters. I called it halo evolved. I'd like to try it out sometime, but....

Madness

That Quinn guy seems too good to be true. Imagine what he could do with a good player base.

Well he is responsible for Gears 3 and Gears Judgment multiplayer and a lot of the fans of Gears 1 disagree with a lot of his design choices etc.

I read a few articles on Judgment and he basically, in so many words, wanted to lessen the skill gap, let anyone use whatever weapon they wanted etc. Sort of going against what Gears of War was. So far he's been good with Halo and I think it's more to do with the fact he played the hell out of CE and Halo 2 etc. before he was a dev and so knows what works. Just like Bravo.

I love how Spartans make the most sense out of any of the popular arena shooters to maximize mobility and we're stuck with moon jumps and sprint. Think about it: wallrunning can be handled by a mix of a specialized jump jet/magnet boots, Spartans are super-strong so they don't have to worry about conservation of energy when it comes to weird shit like parkour, etc.

Just replace the AA button with a dedicated "Parkour" button. Holding it alone will let you magnet-cling to surfaces. You can either jump off of them OR you can do Parkour + LS to wallrun. You could even do Crysis-style ledge hop-ups if you wanted.

It'd also make zero-G sections fun as shit if you were just flying around like a madman hopping from wall to wall.

Tawpgun

Wall jumping/wall running to a degree would be a perfect fit for Halo because it doesn't have ADS.

Titanfall as seemingly fast as shit kill times. Basically making wall running purely for traversal. Wall running/Double jump in Halo would be for traversal AND combat because you don't need to stop to aim your weapon.

I'm all for it.

I love how Spartans make the most sense out of any of the popular arena shooters to maximize mobility and we're stuck with moon jumps and sprint. Think about it: wallrunning can be handled by a mix of a specialized jump jet/magnet boots, Spartans are super-strong so they don't have to worry about conservation of energy when it comes to weird shit like parkour, etc.

Just replace the AA button with a dedicated "Parkour" button. Holding it alone will let you magnet-cling to surfaces. You can either jump off of them OR you can do Parkour + LS to wallrun. You could even do Crysis-style ledge hop-ups if you wanted.

It'd also make zero-G sections fun as shit if you were just flying around like a madman hopping from wall to wall.

The books always had the Spartan II's using foot magnets automatically or Chief's magnets controlled by Cortana etc. The same could go for the Halo game with wall running or even upside down combat, imagine the radar deceit with that.

Fuchsdh

Wall jumping/wall running to a degree would be a perfect fit for Halo because it doesn't have ADS.

Titanfall as seemingly fast as shit kill times. Basically making wall running purely for traversal. Wall running/Double jump in Halo would be for traversal AND combat because you don't need to stop to aim your weapon.

I'm all for it.

Walljumping and running is far more radical a gameplay change than anything else we've have, and would likely break map design far more. I can't see it being a good addition--that sort of stuff usually only works if it's part of the core experience, and I don't want Halo Parkour.

As for fictional rationalizations for stuff: you can rationalize it to hell and back, but at the end of the day we're never going to have true Spartans on the battlefield simply because it's an entire different game than Halo.

Tawpgun

Walljumping and running is far more radical a gameplay change than anything else we've have, and would likely break map design far more. I can't see it being a good addition--that sort of stuff usually only works if it's part of the core experience, and I don't want Halo Parkour.

As for fictional rationalizations for stuff: you can rationalize it to hell and back, but at the end of the day we're never going to have true Spartans on the battlefield simply because it's an entire different game than Halo.

Would it be a radical gameplay change? Yes. But its something I feel would fit Halo perfectly. Whereas I felt sprint/AA's/Loadouts didn't.

Obviously some map remakes might not work, but just design maps with interesting paths for these new methods of traversal.

And I'm not talking like crazy magnet boots on the walls. Wall jumps would allow you to get only a BIT higher than a normal jump. Just like regular parkour. Wall runs allow you to cross a gap a bit further than a normal jump. And they can be used in strafes, in getaways, etc.

Madness

How would wall running break maps as opposed to jetpack?

Obviously there would be limits on how it's used. But you're right, I don't want these drastic changes yet. Let's make a great Halo 5 for next gen, that goes back to its CE/2/3 roots.

If we use that Thruster idea I had though, you could have short bursts in any direction, a double jump with thrust. Or a possible wall run. Use it to traverse a map quicker, and removes a need for sprint.

I think an increase to movement and strafe would bring back fast paced Halo. I'm already used to Halo 4 Turbo now. If there was no damn horrendous flinch, I'd have a lot more fun.

TCKaos

This is why we need Halosidefieldfront.

Anyone donging right now?

Wall running is a dumb idea. Stop it.

Jesus christ.

BACK TO BASICS. EVERYTHING ELSE IS A WASTE.

This is why you need me 343! I'm going to shut everything down. Fuck your ideas.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Jesus christ.

I agree. The last thing Halo needs is more complication. Simple is better.

Although that's not to say it's a bad mechanic. It just shouldn't be in an arena shooter.

Madness

ibnrkBQ1PtgSGX.gif

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Just look at that GIF though lol.

I agree it needs to be back to basics. But you've now got a gaming populace who will be smothered with these games. You'll have games reviewers write:

"With changes to multiplayer with TitanFall, which brought wall running, mech play, or with Destiny that has redefined class based multiplayer, it's just disheartening to see Halo 5 take one step forward but two steps backwards. Gone is the frenzy that personal ordnance added, no more sprint either which has me shaking my head, why can't my Spartan move? No more armor Abilities. It's just basic walk and shoot gameplay. This is the same Halo we had 12 years ago, why play it now? "

And I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's what these people actually think about when they review. Someone had a great thread on gaming side about the disconnect between journos/reviewers and gamers. They get a game, probably rent a copy, play it for a week, a month and then move on. They don't understand the intricacies of how games are different or what the fan base wants. It's why they couldn't understand the Mass Effect ending controversy, why that guy from EGM wanted ADS in halo.

Does 343 want a 9.9/10 from IGN or do they want Juices and HaloGAF to be happy. It's a fine line to walk for them. But I think they understand what we want, which is why we got these great changes to Halo 4.

Its literally not about reviewers. Reviewers gave Halo 4 insane ratings (9.8) and the players disagreed. (92% MP dropoff) (8th? place on live now)

Everyones going to buy Halo regardless. If they want it to stay its gotta be Halo. People aren't as ADD dumb as you think. They want a good game again, they dont want CRAZY ACTION! EXPLOSIONS! RANDOMNESSS!

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just look at that GIF though lol.

I agree it needs to be back to basics. But you've now got a gaming populace who will be smothered with these games. You'll have games reviewers write:

"With changes to multiplayer with TitanFall, which brought wall running, mech play, or with Destiny that has redefined class based multiplayer, it's just disheartening to see Halo 5 take one step forward but two steps backwards. Gone is the frenzy that personal ordnance added, no more sprint either which has me shaking my head, why can't my Spartan move? No more armor Abilities. It's just basic walk and shoot gameplay. This is the same Halo we had 12 years ago, why play it now? "

And I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's what these people actually think about when they review. Someone had a great thread on gaming side about the disconnect between journos/reviewers and gamers. They get a game, probably rent a copy, play it for a week, a month and then move on. They don't understand the intricacies of how games are different or what the fan base wants. It's why they couldn't understand the Mass Effect ending controversy, why that guy from EGM wanted ADS in halo.

Does 343 want a 9.9/10 from IGN or do they want Juices and HaloGAF to be happy. It's a fine line to walk for them. But I think they understand what we want, which is why we got these great changes to Halo 4.

I don't think removing things is the way to go. I say keep everything, even if only for customs or a few playlists.

Fuchsdh

This is why we need Halosidefieldfront.

Anyone donging right now?

Precisely. I would love a Halosidefieldfront-ish game, but that would be a completely different game than the Halo FPS I know and love. Halo is a big franchise, and one that has room, thematically, for a lot of different genres.

And yeah, reviewers are a catch-22. After all, you look at all the complaints that Halo 4 wasn't enough change, or that Halo 3 was just Halo 2 with prettier graphics. Halo 4 could have been the second coming of Jesus, and reviewers would say that it was repetitive.

Jesus christ.

This is why you need me 343! I'm going to shut everything down. Fuck your ideas.

One playlist setting to rule them all confirmed ;)

I say fuck that, give me diversity in playlists. I'll pick what I feel like playing at any given moment thanks. Sometimes I want Halo 2 classic, other times I want swat, sometimes I want action sack fun but mostly I want classic CTF/objective. If I'm in a regular party then we'll play CTF or BTB but if I'm solo random playing I want to have different choices. I'd go 1 or 2 new playlists with Halo parkour for sure. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Precisely. I would love a Halosidefieldfront-ish game, but that would be a completely different game than the Halo FPS I know and love. Halo is a big franchise, and one that has room, thematically, for a lot of different genres.

I want a standalone multiplayer Halo game with tons of different gamemodes (regular arena Halo, "evolved" Halo, Halofallfrontfieldside Motorsport, etc) and mod support. 343 could then have a team dedicated to making the Campaign, perhaps with downloadable missions that tell stories from all over the Halo universe. There could be packs with a few missions each that you could download from the Xbox marketplace. Dammit, I want to play as an Elite. Maybe even have a Destiny/Borderlands style Halo game.

Halo 5 needs a new MP lead, that is the only thing we know for certain.

Agreed. Who was it this time around? Kevin Franklin or something? I don't know what other games' multiplayer he has worked on, but I'm not a huge fan of his ideals so far. He's not the only one to blame for taking Halo in the wrong direction, though. Everyone else in that company that approved of those ideas is partly responsible for encouraging Call of Halo 4.

Madness

Its literally not about reviewers. Reviewers gave Halo 4 insane ratings (9.8) and the players disagreed. (92% MP dropoff) (8th? place on live now)

Everyones going to buy Halo regardless. If they want it to stay its gotta be Halo. People aren't as ADD dumb as you think. They want a good game again, they dont want CRAZY ACTION! EXPLOSIONS! RANDOMNESSS!

I agree, but 343 is in the business to make money as well. They have to balance making current and longtime fans happy, whilst capturing new fans, especially away from other shooters.

I meant to say if Halo 5 removes a lot of these changes, no personal ordnance, back to basics, in sea of shooters like Destiny, TitanFall, Battlefield 4, they're going to definitely bring it up, especially in their reviews. How many games reviewers actually care enough about Halo to know how much sprint has broken the maps/gameplay?

Top Bottom