• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
1 flag would should up and 45 people would be playing it. HaloGaf pls.

You mean if it were in MM?

I would disagree with that. There are a good amount of Asym's in game and also through Forge. Pick a few of the best and throw it into the playlists where it belongs

You mean if it were in MM?

I would disagree with that. There are a good amount of Asym's in game and also through Forge. Pick a few of the best and throw it into the playlists where it belongs

I second this. We have a CTF playlist, a bunch of asymmetrical maps, a completely revamped CTF gametype, but no one-flag? I'm not a huge fan of one-flag, but it seems like a strange thing to be lacking.

ZaneZavin

Neo Member
*I think they should also create power weapon spawns that are far away from the bases to provide more of an incentive to be active rather than passive.

This is the key to making Dominion great. If you hide in a base you will run out of power weapons. It makes Dominion about more than just bases, but pure map control.

"We've moved Dominion base resupplies to neutral locations to encourage a more visceral map control game. However, playtests revealed this made gunplay frustrating for players, so we've given you Personal Ordnance across the board. It's personally proved to be a vastly more cinematic experience compared to the original."

This is the key to making Dominion great. If you hide in a base you will run out of power weapons. It makes Dominion about more than just bases, but pure map control.

which still is a problem if they still adds rockets launchers and Incinerator cannons.

"We've moved Dominion base resupplies to neutral locations to encourage a more visceral map control game. However, playtests revealed this made gunplay frustrating for players, so we've given you Personal Ordnance across the board. It's personally proved to be a vastly more cinematic experience compared to the original."

Add a timer to pick up enemies ordinances and maybe we have a deal, it was frustating how the enemies just wait for our base to resupply power weapons then they take all of them.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
I haven't played Halo 4 MM in a long while but I did try the new weapon balance in customs and i must say 343i may be going in the right direction. I feel automatics shouldn't be so powerful but the SAW is just ridiculous.

The patch is still not enough to get me back online as Flinch is still there but I must say I'm amazed by the modding community. Promod is awesome, Gun Game is pure fun, we have infection, One-Flag and they are bringing back Race. I think 343i should support the incredible work of modders by adding new gametypes in MM (isn't mini-slayer in action-sack?).

I still don't get what is 343i approach to people that are modding or cheating in their game, I mean it seems like they don't really care about it. People have been modding commendations, weapon skins, armor, stances and there is no banhammer in place for that. It took months only to patch the headless Spartan mod (I think it's insta-ban now). Also the banhammer strikes on boosters but not on idlers. Now, considering how strict Bungie was with their bans (and how hard is to mod their games after Halo 2) why 343i seems so uninterested in protecting their game?

On a completely different topic, I don't really appreciate Davidge work for Halo 4 because it doesn't feel like Halo to me and it didn't work well with campaign IMO. So I want to ask how would you feel about a Halo game with music from Immediate Music or Two Steps From Hell?

Striker

If it would be a single playlist for it ? Probably but team objective could benefit of it because many maps are more suited for 1 flag
I still don't see what's built for it. You look at Wreckage, Complex, and Landfall - yeah they're asymmetric, but they just lack any defensive base setups, compared to other midsized maps like Zanzibar or Burial Mounds. Abandon would be awful like it is for anything else. Exile and Solace don't major differences in the middle of the map, but suffer from different base setups.

The main thing with these types of objectives, and any others in the game, falls with how poor the loadouts/AA's are under these scenarios. Say you're attacking a base, you sneak inches away from the door that holds the flag, but then one enemy shoots out a Promethean Vision signal and he instantly knows where you are. Or you can run in and get killed by a Camo player using the Boltshot (it's fixed, amirite?). There's no proper contesting, Sudden Death doesn't work right... I mean, it's just poorly setup to where things like flag or bomb can properly be fun. Reach and Halo 3 had poor issues themselves with equipment and AA's ruining CTF/Assault (same with contesting/sudden death), but Halo 4 has these issues only worse.

IHaveIce

Banned
I still don't see what's built for it. You look at Wreckage, Complex, and Landfall - yeah they're asymmetric, but they just lack any defensive base setups, compared to other midsized maps like Zanzibar or Burial Mounds. Abandon would be awful like it is for anything else. Exile and Solace don't major differences in the middle of the map, but suffer from different base setups.

The main thing with these types of objectives, and any others in the game, falls with how poor the loadouts/AA's are under these scenarios. Say you're attacking a base, you sneak inches away from the door that holds the flag, but then one enemy shoots out a Promethean Vision signal and he instantly knows where you are. Or you can run in and get killed by a Camo player using the Boltshot (it's fixed, amirite?). There's no proper contesting, Sudden Death doesn't work right... I mean, it's just poorly setup to where things like flag or bomb can properly be fun. Reach and Halo 3 had poor issues themselves with equipment and AA's ruining CTF/Assault (same with contesting/sudden death), but Halo 4 has these issues only worse.
Not built for it but I never said that, just more suited for 1flag than for 2flag

And I do think Complex would work pretty well with it.

And to your second paragraph, don't think anyone is going to defend AAs, hence why everybody wants personal loadouts to be gone.

Striker

Just putting it in there because it isn't symmetrical like Adrift - eh. It lacks significant landmarks and that large, central structure or building you would commonly see in a mid-size map used for these gametypes. In fact, I think it's said for all the maps, and not just Complex. But Complex specifically, as told by its own map designer, is effective for Infinity Slayer/Slayer, Flood, and (sigh), Oddball. I thought it was told prior to launch that we would be seeing more maps based on objective gametypes, but in reality what we got was lots of slayer varieties with flag being added later. These are our results.

They did ask about the Warthog on the map, and he mentioned it would get a bit messy for two. So it was probably their take to make things symmetrical from the get-go despite the layout being all over the place.

Some dude on Twitter allegedly leaked a Halo 5 multiplayer alpha screenshot. Couple of new medals got revealed:

4NP0VA4.jpg

Fuchsdh

True. Dominion is definitely a great new gametype 343 brought to the table, but it's also being held back by one or two issues that mess up the rest of the match.

FyreWulff

*I think they should also create power weapon spawns that are far away from the bases to provide more of an incentive to be active rather than passive.

Unfortunately the whole concept of personal ordnance destroys the idea of weapon loops to encourage activity and player movement risk/reward. At least it's fixable in Dominion, since it doesn't have it.

Fuchsdh

Unfortunately the whole concept of personal ordnance destroys the idea of weapon loops to encourage activity and player movement risk/reward. At least it's fixable in Dominion, since it doesn't have it.

Definitely, and I'm thankful that 343 at least recognized that objective gametypes would become essentially unplayable with ordnance.

Like a lot of the positive steps 343 took with moving the series forward, I think a lot more people would like them if they had been combined with the more classic multiplayer settings.

FyreWulff

So did random global ordnance, but that didn't stop them.

I like the concept of the weapons dropping down. This would have been a good solution to the previous issue of communicating weapon spawns to old and new players on even ground instead of the weapons *poit*ing into existence. The waypoints + description over it, okay.

But the completely random drop is like.. forget trying to hold an area, because you might get a bad roll or a good roll. You don't know. The map design itself no longer matters. It's just a background to the loot drops occuring on the map. Nobody would ever go back to the base to resupply in a H4 Blood Gulch, both teams would just hang out on the cliffs all game collecting drops. Or they'd just hang out at the flag spot on Relic getting their rockets resupplied without having to loop down to the beach. Froman on Zanzibar would be a ghost town. Nobody would ever leave the bases on Waterworks, nor would they have to expose themselves by going for Rockets or Snipe on Ascension, they'd just hang out in the top tower all day.

It's a shame because it feels like a few of the shipping disc maps of Halo 4 have notable amounts of unused area because there's frankly no reason to ever entertain the idea of using them. Exile and Longbow in particular. The cooperation between weapon placement and map design is gone.

Tashi

I remember when the game first came out I was trying to predict the spawns of the random ordnance drops. It was kinda crazy lol

Fuchsdh

I'd still like certain modes to have rotating weapon spawns. So rockets spawn on the map on timers like classic Halo but they could appear at two or three locations instead. It would force teams to lock down more zones instead of just sitting on a single spot to grab the weapon.

Booshka

I'd still like certain modes to have rotating weapon spawns. So rockets spawn on the map on timers like classic Halo but they could appear at two or three locations instead. It would force teams to lock down more zones instead of just sitting on a single spot to grab the weapon.

Rockets in Halo should always be centrally located, or in the most open and vulnerable part of a map so a team (or player) has to have enough map control to acquire them. Teams shouldn't want to control parts of the map because a power weapon may randomly spawn there. They should want to control that part because it offers great sightlines for team shooting, spawn trapping and objective control. Benefit of that is power weapon control, having less impactful but still strong weapons in those areas to encourage control and reward it. But, Rockets should always be Halo's premier Power Weapon, its BFG so to speak. It should be a game changer that requires overall map control to acquire.

Random Personal and Global Ordnance is just further example of 343's attempt to de-emphasize quality team play and overall donging. Allow random shit to happen so people can make plays when they have no business doing so. The thought of a crushing loss under the oppressive might of team work and skill might lead them to sell their game and not buy outsourced DLC.

I'm kind of the opposite. I'd prefer static spawns, but different weapons per location (like alternating Overshield / Camo / Speed Boost / Damage Boost) to let them use the goliath of a sandbox Halo's developed. As long as there are indicators of where the rockets would spawn in advance I wouldn't be completely adverse to it, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out I'm really good at mini slayer.

get shit on, mini spartans

Booshka

But its not fair because my opponent doesn't have that skill or knowlegde
Maybe they should be matchmade with other players that don't have that skill or knowledge. If they gets better they will be matchmade with other good players and learn Quality Halo.
Good matchmaking solves so many problems.
Nope, we're 343 let's dumb it down and give every bad kid a chance against good players.

Tashi

StarCraft 2 has a skill gap wider than planet Earth and yet somehow serves the scrubs as well as the best players in the world happily. Huge learning curve too

Matchmaking.

I like the concept of the weapons dropping down. This would have been a good solution to the previous issue of communicating weapon spawns to old and new players on even ground instead of the weapons *poit*ing into existence. The waypoints + description over it, okay.

But the completely random drop is like.. forget trying to hold an area, because you might get a bad roll or a good roll. You don't know. The map design itself no longer matters. It's just a background to the loot drops occuring on the map. Nobody would ever go back to the base to resupply in a H4 Blood Gulch, both teams would just hang out on the cliffs all game collecting drops. Or they'd just hang out at the flag spot on Relic getting their rockets resupplied without having to loop down to the beach. Froman on Zanzibar would be a ghost town. Nobody would ever leave the bases on Waterworks, nor would they have to expose themselves by going for Rockets or Snipe on Ascension, they'd just hang out in the top tower all day.

It's a shame because it feels like a few of the shipping disc maps of Halo 4 have notable amounts of unused area because there's frankly no reason to ever entertain the idea of using them. Exile and Longbow in particular. The cooperation between weapon placement and map design is gone.

Longbow is an especially egregious example of that. A game of Slayer (there is no BTB objective) is pretty much entirely fighting for the top structure simply because it is the top structure and there is nothing else to facilitate combat anywhere else.

Halo 4 suffers from a lack of design vision on a macro level, and nothing is a more telling example of that than throwing out the weapon spawning system that makes Halo multiplayer function.

Agreed that I have no issue with waypoints on weapon spawns.

Booshka

StarCraft 2 has a skill gap wider than planet Earth and yet somehow serves the scrubs as well as the best players in the world happily. Huge learning curve too

Matchmaking.

PC gamers have a different mindset toward competitive matchmaking. Sadly that mindset has not seeped into the minds of most console gamers.

Halo CE had a pretty large skill gap as well, but instead of taking that gameplay and applying it to stringent and comprehensive matchmaking, Bungie/343 just dumbed down the series to make it easier for everyone to play.

Tashi

PC gamers have a different mindset toward competitive matchmaking. Sadly that mindset has not seeped into the minds of most console gamers.

Halo CE had a pretty large skill gap as well, but instead of taking that gameplay and applying it to stringent and comprehensive matchmaking, Bungie/343 just dumbed down the series to make it easier for everyone to play.

That's very true.

And I agree, the game doesn't have to be made easier to play for players of all skill levels to enjoy it.

Top Bottom