• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Havok

The following 8 vs. 8 game modes will be offered when the playlist [Big Team Skirmish] launches:

<snip>

Big Team King of the Hill - Exile, Longbow

Big Team Regicide - Complex, Settler

These are some of our favorite map and game type combinations.
Good lord.

Havok

Ughh Team Regicide is a Slayer gametype mangg

Extraction also doesn't get enough love. It's probably the best new thing to come to Halo with Halo 4
It fits with how they've crammed a Slayer gametype into every version of Objective they've touched - Flag Slayer in Reach, 4v4 and now 8v8 Team Regicide in Halo 4.

Cut Dominion. Big Team Skirmish is CTF, an unclusterfucked version of Dominion, and a 3 Site Extraction that gets rid of the 16 player choke point problem of 1 Site and the passive turtling of 2 Site. King is a 4v4 gametype, they should quit pretending otherwise. Put the faux-Slayer gametype in the Slayer playlists. Done, ship it.

In dream world, the CTF variant is unwaypointed, the loadouts are preset, and they roll back the asinine vehicle weapon buff bandaid.

Settler is among 343's favorite maps? Holy shit.

Looks like I'll be continuing my sabbatical until at least after the RTX details emerge.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It fits with how they've crammed a Slayer gametype into every version of Objective they've touched - Flag Slayer in Reach, 4v4 and now 8v8 Team Regicide in Halo 4.

Cut Dominion. Big Team Skirmish is a custom unwaypointed CTF, an unclusterfucked version of Dominion, and a 3 Site Extraction that gets rid of the 16 player choke point problem of 1 Site and the passive turtling of 2 Site. King is a 4v4 gametype, they should quit pretending otherwise. Put the faux-Slayer gametype in the Slayer playlists. Done, ship it.

Ahh yes, no waypoint CTF. I forgot that they can do that.

I think there has to be a way to make King work with 8's. It would just require the right map and settings. I'm actually surprised at the amount of maps going into this list. Seems kind of like a soft launch just to get some 8v8 objective out there.

Havok

Ahh yes, no waypoint CTF. I forgot that they can do that.

I think there has to be a way to make King work with 8's. It would just require the right map and settings. I'm actually surprised at the amount of maps going into this list. Seems kind of like a soft launch just to get some 8v8 objective out there.
I don't know if they can. I'm sure they won't. It's a pipe dream wish list.

Unless you make the hills huge and turn off contesting, King above 4v4 or maybe 5v5 is going to be a complete disaster without any rhyme or reason to it. Here's why: the primary action of a modern King game is "sprint towards hill, chuck grenades." Now with 16 people doing that on every respawn. Finding roughly symmetrical maps with enough cover to create enough potential hill zones? Might as well not even bother.

And considering how they were already using 6v6 Objective as a pilot program to placate people who wanted real big team objectives (ruining the previous Objective playlist in the process), this update just seems sad.

Tawpgun

What the hell are they doing? There are like no maps in this BTB Objective playlist. Complex for CTF? What about something a bit more symmetrical like Exile, Meltdown and the BTB DLC maps?

ZaneZavin

Neo Member
What the hell are they doing? There are like no maps in this BTB Objective playlist. Complex for CTF? What about something a bit more symmetrical like Exile, Meltdown and the BTB DLC maps?

It says to me that they don't understand BTB Objective. I believe there should be CTF on more maps. (Vortex, Meltdown) Also, BTB Extraction actually works quite well. I don't understand why they wouldn't at least have the DLC maps available. Sure, it'll be difficult to find that many people with the maps anyway. That said, glad to finally see BTB Objective. :)

TCKaos

It says to me that they don't understand BTB Objective. I believe there should be CTF on more maps. (Vortex, Meltdown) Also, BTB Extraction actually works quite well. I don't understand why they wouldn't at least have the DLC maps available. Sure, it'll be difficult to find that many people with the maps anyway. That said, glad to finally see BTB Objective. :)

Cut Dominion. Big Team Skirmish is CTF, an unclusterfucked version of Dominion, and a 3 Site Extraction that gets rid of the 16 player choke point problem of 1 Site and the passive turtling of 2 Site. King is a 4v4 gametype, they should quit pretending otherwise. Put the faux-Slayer gametype in the Slayer playlists. Done, ship it.

In dream world, the CTF variant is unwaypointed, the loadouts are preset, and they roll back the asinine vehicle weapon buff bandaid.

This, pretty much. They just don't seem to understand why people like certain things at all, conflating it with what they themselves liked. I mean, this happened to Bungie too (what do you mean you don't like Blackout?) but never anything to this extent. At this point it seems almost nonsensical.

This whole notion that people enjoy lol xD so randum gameplay with huge explosions and havoc and chaos everywhere is entirely incorrect. People enjoyed those moments because they happened organically instead of designed specifically to occur. This plays back in to a quote from last E3, I think, or maybe last RTX, when we saw CTF for the first time with waypoints. Someone from 343 was quoted as saying something like "We're not engineering those intense moments of action like other games," where that's specifically what they did. Add a waypoint and give the flag runner a gun so that you can create constantly more tense situations with more action and explosions - add a terrible sudden death mode ripped from the clutches of the MLG and implemented in an entirely non-competitive manner to artificially extend games - add some barely audible music when you carry the flag to make the situation more tense. These were all done in an effort to engineer tense situations, but all it does is create frustration while making it impossible to have the old situations organically.

You also see this with Grifball replacing Assault wholesale, as if they believed that Assault was some Griffball delivery system, and with Last Stand in Dominion (or just the concept of Dominion).

Havok

It says to me that they don't understand BTB Objective.
That's not limited to BTB. They have consistently mishandled Objective, no matter the player count. Unnecessarily upping the player count in Reach, forcing per-gametype voting slot placement which resulted in 2 Flag Slayer dominating the playlist, desperately trying to keep a one-gametype-per-playlist policy for Halo 4 when it was painfully obvious that neither King or Oddball could maintain a population on their own, then lumping them in a consolidated Objective playlist with...Team Regicide but not Extraction? Finally, they add Extraction...but move the playlist to 6v6 which breaks both Oddball and King of the Hill. Now they're once again putting 2 Flag on asymmetric maps, a problem that has made the CTF playlist a complete chore to play, they're once again miscategorizing Team Regicide as an objective gametype, and they're cramming 16 players into a King of the Hill match which will likely be nothing but a constant grenade shower.

That's not even going into the legion of problems the standalone CTF playlist has.

Having said that, Vortex has no viable base structures (and putting the flag in the middle of nowhere isn't a good idea with 16 players and a "kill me" waypoint), and Meltdown has the opposite problem where the base is extremely easy to turtle up in, so I don't know that either of them are necessarily a good fit. I'm shocked that they didn't put DLC in the mix. Shatter is actually a pretty decent CTF map judging from the few occasions I played CTF on it in the Crimson playlist, and Outcast would certainly be a better fit than Complex, of all things.

Isn't that the point of BTB heavies.. I mean Dominion?

Tons of power weapons, I mean.
No? It's still a 3 Plots knockoff with a silly scoring system, but at least now a single player can't lock down a base by himself with zero effort after getting a rocket launcher (or two. or three.) dropped at his feet every 45 seconds. Vanilla Dominion is a disaster. This is a step in the right direction.

EDIT: What would be insane is if 343 redid and included the E3 demo of Halo 2 that was shown and made it fully playable.
Not to be a Debbie downer here, but I'm pretty sure Bungie has said in an interview that the halo 2 E3 level is effectively gone forever. They came back from E3 and started over entirely, so any build they have of Halo 2 would not the E3 level since it is basically an entirely different game.

Rev3rb

Not to be a Debbie downer here, but I'm pretty sure Bungie has said in an interview that the halo 2 E3 level is effectively gone forever. They came back from E3 and started over entirely, so any build they have of Halo 2 would not the E3 level since it is basically an entirely different game.

Pretty sure Frankie said somewhere that they still have that build laying around.

Fuchsdh

No? It's still a 3 Plots knockoff with a silly scoring system, but at least now a single player can't lock down a base by himself with zero effort after getting a rocket launcher (or two. or three.) dropped at his feet every 45 seconds. Vanilla Dominion is a disaster. This is a step in the right direction.

Indeed. I love Dominion, but the massive amounts of power weapons meant it was far to easy to camp plots and turn the game into an attrition fest. Keeping it focused on less powerful weapons is a good thing.*

*I think they should also create power weapon spawns that are far away from the bases to provide more of an incentive to be active rather than passive.

Definitely a great update to Dominion.

Tashi

BTB Regicide on Settler and Complex doesn't sound like order to me...

I meant for BTB Slayer

Indeed. I love Dominion, but the massive amounts of power weapons meant it was far to easy to camp plots and turn the game into an attrition fest. Keeping it focused on less powerful weapons is a good thing.*

*I think they should also create power weapon spawns that are far away from the bases to provide more of an incentive to be active rather than passive.

Definitely a great update to Dominion.

I'm not Havok

PNut

Banned
Tashi is Shutout, Simplex or Onyx in Team Doubles? If they are I never see them. Got destroyed by some nerds on Abandon because the map is pure shit in dubs and it comes up all the time. Along with Solari and Scythe lol. The Pit and Gaurdian remakes work great for dubs btw.

DeadNames

Banned
Just stop playing it bro. That's what I did and my life is so much easier.

However that stuff with Megalo might be worth rebuying if they can make some killer custom games.

I really hate the fact that no one asked if spartan assualt will be ported to xbla

Pretty cool that they still update playlists so often - for some of the people who havent played in a while halo 4 will offer some totally fresh stuff

That said the people who design the flood gametype are a joke - 2 hits as zombie to kill - its like they Just want to farm kills - but they I saw they are usin the AR... Wtf. I don't play flood but it's weird

Madness

How has flood changed though? I've played it a lot and still have no clue what the point of it was. If you were a Spartan, were you supposed to kill as many flood or survive the longest?

If anything, I hated being flood, I'd barely get a kill before dying because they had shotty's. Sometimes I'd do amazing, but usually it's always easier to play as Spartans. Pick a good spot and use pistol to take them out, or just run and mow them down with shotgun.

As for spartan Assault, I think it's only windows 8 devices right now. Believe me, they know and understand just how much an XBLA version will sell, but MS probably wants to kickstart game sales on Win 8 devices.

Tashi

Tashi is Shutout, Simplex or Onyx in Team Doubles? If they are I never see them. Got destroyed by some nerds on Abandon because the map is pure shit in dubs and it comes up all the time. Along with Solari and Scythe lol. The Pit and Gaurdian remakes work great for dubs btw.

They are not. Doubles update is on the list. No time table as to when it's going to get the overhaul though.

FyreWulff

Please stop throwing the Slayer bone to Slayer players in an Objective playlist they're never going to play anyway.

It's sad that we haven't had a pure Objective playlist since Halo 3, on both 343 AND Bungie's part.

I really hate the fact that no one asked if spartan assualt will be ported to xbla

"No plans right now" - E3

Please stop throwing the Slayer bone to Slayer players in an Objective playlist they're never going to play anyway.

It's sad that we haven't had a pure Objective playlist since Halo 3, on both 343 AND Bungie's part.

"No plans right now" - E3

CTF and to a lesser extent the original extraction playlists are/were pure objective. Personally I just want a classic 1-flag, neutral flag, 2-flag, 1-bomb, neutral bomb and 2-bomb objective playlist. Make that ranked and you have me playing that Halo game everyday.

FyreWulff

CTF and to a lesser extent the original extraction playlists are/were pure objective. Personally I just want a classic 1-flag, neutral flag, 2-flag, 1-bomb, neutral bomb and 2-bomb objective playlist. Make that ranked and you have me playing that Halo game everyday.

I guess I should clarify 'permanent'

Slayer players always have a pure slayer playlist, Objective players get something thrown at them near launch and then you end up having to counter-vote Flag Slayer just to play Objective later on.

I guess I should clarify 'permanent'

Slayer players always have a pure slayer playlist, Objective players get something thrown at them near launch and then you end up having to counter-vote Flag Slayer just to play Objective later on.

Agreed I dislike slayer in my objective. I am sure slayers hate obj in their slayer too :)

Madness

Agreed I dislike slayer in my objective. I am sure slayers hate obj in their slayer too :)
But without ranks or any tangible benefits to playing, I'm pretty sure it's tolerable to them. For someone who loves Slayer, getting something like CTF on settler, is a good way to farm kills. they don't even help with the objective, just sit there getting kills.

It's something that the Halo games have struggled with for a while, to stop people from just flat out ignoring the objective part of the gameplay and just standing around camping or killing. Not that I have any issue, but kind of ruins the whole fun behind a great CTF game if no one wants to actually capture the flag.

Top Bottom