• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

arimanius

My wz req packs are poop most of the time. This time wasn't too bad, I've been really wanting to try out Void's Tear seems like a neat weapon. That helm is butt ugly though.

I'm tempted to buy the warzone req pack bundle. I just haven't decided if it's worth it.

Now if 343i adds this I would buy it in a heart beat and probably additional packs. *hint hint*

Warzone Firefight: 12 player squad defends center base (fortress, spire, garage) from an ever increasing onslaught of AI enemies. Wave based, REQ increases with wave. Players lose once they are eliminated.

Warzone Firefight Versus: Two teams spawn at their respective bases and defend the core against 10 waves of enemies, first to clear all waves wins. AI can destroy power core, instantly losing the match for the team who let's that happen

Archpath1

Team donging will still happen not matter what, i enjoy playing with large groups, rank or not

I run 12s for wz, scrubs get donged on, happens.

Circle of life.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You get (got, Halo 3 was full of them) teams of '8 dongers' in social lists too. Ranking is, if anything, more likely to avoid it. The main issue with Ranked is the stress of worrying about yer rank, for me.

I'm not saying Unranked playlists are dong-free paradises where scrubs roam carefree. You are significantly less likely to get a crushing defeat in social, unranked playlists. I've plenty of experience from all my time to inform me of the behaviour of other players, as anecdotal as that is. It's a consistency I've personally looked at and noticed. It still happens though, but unranked playlists are not intended to be a magical solution to that particular problem.

Heck, I would even advocate drop-in, drop-out for casual unranked playlists, with a penalty reduction for quitting. There's no reason to seriously sweat in a social bucket, and that is what, time and time again, the active Halo community has decided they want. It's no different now than it was with 4, Reach, 3 and 2.

IHaveIce

Banned
seems like I'm done with the game for a while. Still getting these weird Discconects that are not caused by my network but by the game.
Shitty maps, shitty teammates also play a role into this. Once I can play 3 games without being thrown out I will be back

E92 M3

I can sign that. I remember the release to this day. Had the awesome halo 2headset pre-ordered and the LE. Came home on friday and had a vacation day on monday..so well :D you know what I did. 72 hours of halo 2..only breaks for food and sleep.

also do we have a time when the update will hit? I really don't like it that we only know "today" ._. give me something like "8AM GMT" >>

Yeah and the price of the LE was only 10 bucks more if memory serves.

I mean. cheating was absolutely rampant in Halo 2, so ranking at a certain point was mostly moot.

Only in the high 30s and 40s, but mostly 40s.

The only thing I care about is a good game, dont care if folks are higher or lower rank than me, as long as the teams overall are balanced out.

Plenty of times in plenty of Halo across the sequels where you focus on one or two players or avoid specifically one or two.

I don't expect teams to have all equal ranks, as long as the two teams balance each other out is all good. We're never gonna have a perfect system unless we have millions and millions of players to pool from. Even then, something will come along.

The only thing I fundamentally disagree with in Halo 5 is making every bucket outside of Warzone ranked. Nobody wants an all ranked only set of playlists outside of some insane competitive feitishists. In every Halo game that had both ranked and unranked, Unranked was always the most popular. With many reason why.

Ranked BTB should not be a thing. Bungie learned that lesson with Halo 3. There are just not enough organised large, competitive groups to realise it. It's a casual game mode, not an Arena e-sport candidate. I don't believe Halo 5 cannot offer an alternative to Ranked only buckets, BTB should be the launch of Halo 5's unranked offerings. If not, players are not going to stick around to long enough to care or get obliterated by a team of 8+ champion dongsters.

I agree that they definitely need an unranked playlist so friends of all ranks can play together. Honestly shocked they don't have one yet and decided to make BTB ranked.

pieface

For fuck sakes I don't need four breakout games in a row.

It's absolutely mind boggling how Breakout is in the Arena playlist. It shouldn't be anywhere near it. I's not Halo, it will never be Halo, stop trying to force us to play it.

The fact that you have to suffer multiple games of Breakout just to get a game of CTF is baffling. Breakout has it's own playlist ffs, leave it there. Either give us a CTF/Objective playlist or remove Breakout from Arena.

BraXzy

Regardless of what mode it is, a social playlist is just needed overall. Even if it's just a single all inclusive list. I like trying to be competitive and get my rank up and call out and all that jazz, but sometimes I just want to chill and dong on people without worrying about a win. Or I've not played for a few days and I want a warm up without having to play Warzone.

Computer

I dont know if anyone else has had a warzone game this close before but I lost 999 to 1000. It was the most insane game ever. We were about 2 seconds from capturing a base and getting the extra point to win. A enemy got into the base at the last second to stop the capture. I think we would have tied if he did not stop it.

Demise

Just one question : When the introduction video of Halo 5 hit the net, a lot of people said here and there "finally, that's how spartan should be portrayed like : Tankish with some agility". So I guess they was a problem back then with the way they were portrayed. What was the problem and when did come out ?

Leyasu

Banned
Damn weekly packs are beyond shit again. I've had better from silver reqs. I was gonna buy a second one when this runs out, but after three weeks of turds, fuck that.

pieface

Regardless of what mode it is, a social playlist is just needed overall. Even if it's just a single all inclusive list. I like trying to be competitive and get my rank up and call out and all that jazz, but sometimes I just want to chill and dong on people without worrying about a win. Or I've not played for a few days and I want a warm up without having to play Warzone.

Agree completely. Me and my mate are very different skill sets. When we go into the Arena we can't enjoy it because he get's absolutely spanked because i'm a diamond. So the only playlist we can play is Warzone, which is great, if you like the same 3 maps over and over and over and over again. It's getting a little boring now. Plus the fact it's so difficult to work as a team.

Trup1aya

I'm not saying Unranked playlists are dong-free paradises where scrubs roam carefree. You are significantly less likely to get a crushing defeat in social, unranked playlists. I've plenty of experience from all my time to inform me of the behaviour of other players, as anecdotal as that is. It's a consistency I've personally looked at and noticed. It still happens though, but unranked playlists are not intended to be a magical solution to that particular problem.

Heck, I would even advocate drop-in, drop-out for casual unranked playlists, with a penalty reduction for quitting. There's no reason to seriously sweat in a social bucket, and that is what, time and time again, the active Halo community has decided they want. It's no different now than it was with 4, Reach, 3 and 2.

I think we should wait and see how the ranking system plays out in BTB...

I think most people want to have even teams, even if winning/losing isn't a top priority...

In the social BTB playlists, players are thrown together, seemingly at random, but who cares if it's fun, right? But occasionally, full parties join the mix just to shit on everyone else.

I think in an ideal situation, MM will still allow people of all skill levels to join matches together, but the ranking system will allow both teams to have a similar mix of skill levels.

Ofcourse W/L really wouldn't be an indication of skill in this mode. It would have to be individual performance.

BraXzy

I dont know if anyone else has had a warzone game this close before but I lost 999 to 1000. It was the most insane game ever. We were about 2 seconds from capturing a base and getting the extra point to win. A enemy got into the base at the last second to stop the capture. I think we would have tied if he did not stop it.

I've had a couple losses/wins that close, it's crazy.

Also saw a screenshot of someone who had a match that drew at 1000-1000 somehow :|

Yeah and the price of the LE was only 10 bucks more if memory serves.

Only in the high 30s and 40s, but mostly 40s.

I agree that they definitely need an unranked playlist so friends of all ranks can play together. Honestly shocked they don't have one yet and decided to make BTB ranked.

I ran into cheaters at all levels, but I hit a wall at 36, and it was absolutely impossible to get anywhere. Standbyers and modders every other game, if not worse at times. It didn't take long for me to stop caring.

BraXzy

Agree completely. Me and my mate are very different skill sets. When we go into the Arena we can't enjoy it because he get's absolutely spanked because i'm a diamond. So the only playlist we can play is Warzone, which is great, if you like the same 3 maps over and over and over and over again. It's getting a little boring now. Plus the fact it's so difficult to work as a team.

That's a good point I always forget about since I often solo queue. I don't really team up with peeps online since without checking their service record first, either they are better than me and I'll be dragging them down, or they will be a lower rank and will struggle at my level and then it becomes unfun for everyone.

Looking forward to some BTB when it hits, but it also reminds me I need to buy some xbox live time as it runs out either this week or next.

BraXzy

Just one question : When the introduction video of Halo 5 hit the net, a lot of people said here and there "finally, that's how spartan should be portrayed like : Tankish with some agility". So I guess they was a problem back then with the way they were portrayed. What was the problem and when did come out ?

I'm a bit tired.. I don't quite get the question, can you rephrase this? :3

Trey

People would look at the shit Spartans did in the books and contrast that with the floaty controls of Halo CE. Then sprint became a defacto feature in shooters, and people would complain that Spartans should be able to run in Halo.

There wasn't anything wrong with them in a functional sense, but the fiction clashed with the gameplay to some people. Now Spartans can run forever and functionally fly, and those same folks express joy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think we should wait and see how the ranking system plays out in BTB...

I think most people want to have even teams, even if winning/losing isn't a top priority...

In the social BTB playlists, players are thrown together, seemingly at random, but who cares if it's fun, right? But occasionally, full parties join the mix just to shit on everyone else.

I think in an ideal situation, MM will still allow people of all skill levels to join matches together, but the ranking system will allow both teams to have a similar mix of skill levels.

Players are not thrown together in any playlist. Everyone has a hidden skill value, and playlists use a defined range in values - something like BTB would have a larger range that say Arena, Warzone should have the biggest. Parties are matched up with other parties if possible, etc.

Anyone that plays a game with larger player counts accepts that the skill matching will be looser due to the higher required number of players. I think Halo 5 has slightly larger ranges than past Halo games due to the shockingly fast search times alone - traditionally the smaller the ranger, the longer the wait times to find players.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
For some reason, I've never opened a thread and thought "this thread needs more dongs". Thanks for showing me why, HaloGaf. Keep your dongs to yourself, please. Please?

Also, how the hell does anyone here reach Diamond in something like Team Slayer (other than only playing with friends)? Makes sense that it would partially be luck-based depending on who you got teamed up with. Ranking really needs some re-working.

Exactly.

I don't really care if I win or lose but I want close games.

Something which Halo does better than just about any other FPS when the matchmaking is good.

How do I change the colour of my UI? I've seen people online with orange, blue and other colours.

What do you mean, change the color of the UI? If you mean Spectator Mode, then I believe you press 'B' and it enables highlights around players (Red and Blue). That is only thing I know of.

If you mean Campaign, then that is from Co-Op. Everyone but the Party Leader can select which character they play as. And each character have different HUD's.

Trup1aya

Players are not thrown together in any playlist. Everyone has a hidden skill value, and playlists use a defined range in values - something like BTB would have a larger range that say Arena, Warzone should have the biggest. Parties are matched up with other parties if possible, etc.

Anyone that plays a game with larger player counts accepts that the skill matching will be looser due to the higher required number of players. I think Halo 5 has slightly larger ranges than past Halo games due to the shockingly fast search times alone - traditionally the smaller the ranger, the longer the wait times to find players.

Yeah I get all that, but in the old halo's there are so many factors to consider when matchmaking, that it's impossible to discern the weights of each parameter. What if that party or 8 has players ranging from level 1 to level 50? Do you try to match them against a similarly distributed party, or do you focus on skill levels? What if finding parties takes to long? What about ping? What about all the guest accounts that have no skill data? At the end of the day, the matchup will "seemingly" be random.

What I'm saying is that H5's ranking system could allow finer and more transparent control of team balancing. A highly skilled player can play with his Noobish buddy and have fun knowing that the other team appears to be made up in a similar fashion.

I'm sure BTB will cast a pretty wide net in terms of skill levels in MM. For that reason, I doubt there will be much movement after placement matches (individuals won't have much control over outcomes) That said, there should be enough opponent data to compare to give even better placement than it does in Arena.

link1201

I thought I read somewhere that the ranking does try and match teams skill. So that an onyx and a silver would get matched with something similar, not two onyx players for example.

I will try and find a source this evening.

BraXzy

How do I change the colour of my UI? I've seen people online with orange, blue and other colours.

UI in game or your Xbox Dash?

The only thing I can think of is when playing co-op campaign, the different characters have a few varying colours for the HUD.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
For some reason, I've never opened a thread and thought "this thread needs more dongs". Thanks for showing me why, HaloGaf. Keep your dongs to yourself, please. Please?

It's not literal or abusive, or even used with offensive intent. Like someone else said, it's definitely a community relic round these parts.

asslands.jpg

Not particularly original or unique to here. :)

wu43o9.jpg

Also, how the hell does anyone here reach Diamond in something like Team Slayer (other than only playing with friends)? Makes sense that it would partially be luck-based depending on who you got teamed up with. Ranking really needs some re-working.

Some of it is luck, depending on the teammates you get, but if you're good enough you should be able to carry most of them. I've been playing solo since launch, game started me out at Gold 1 in TS and I've moved up to Platinum 6 since then. (Also solo Onyx in other playlist). I haven't played TS recently, but I'm fairly confident in my skill that I could get to Onyx soloing.

All you can do is give your best and hope your teammates do the same!

Gurrry

Hey guys, quick question. I havent had time to play much of Halo 5 yet (blops and fallout keeping me away), but when I did play, I noticed the classic halo hover/double jump wasnt there. Did they remove it?

BraXzy

Hey guys, quick question. I havent had time to play much of Halo 5 yet (blops and fallout keeping me away), but when I did play, I noticed the classic halo hover/double jump wasnt there. Did they remove it?

Double jump? Whaa? You mean by dropping equipment in H3?

Or do you mean the stabilise from in the beta? It's still in, you have to scope and it should do it automatically unless you've tinkered with settings.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yeah I get all that, but in the old halo's there are so many factors to consider when matchmaking, that it's impossible to discern the weights of each parameter. What if that party or 8 has players ranging from level 1 to level 50? Do you try to match them against a similarly distributed party, or do you focus on skill levels? What if finding parties takes to long? What about ping? What about all the guest accounts that have no skill data? At the end of the day, the matchup will "seemingly" be random.

What I'm saying is that H5's ranking system could allow finer and more transparent control of team balancing. A highly skilled player can play with his Noobish buddy and have fun knowing that the other team appears to be made up in a similar fashion.

I'm sure BTB will cast a pretty wide net in terms of skill levels in MM. For that reason, I doubt there will be much movement after placement matches (individuals won't have much control over outcomes) That said, there should be enough opponent data to compare to give even better placement than it does in Arena.

I think you are correct, but the Ranking system is not the system that matches you, that's the matchmaking system with the hidden values it uses.

My argument is that an experience like BTB is better off without having the addition ranking system on top of it.

the classic halo hover/double jump

Mixing up Halo with modern 3D Sonic?

Trup1aya

Hahaha I have no idea what you are talking about?!?!?

I think you are correct, but the Ranking system is not the system that matches you, that's the matchmaking system with the hidden values it uses.

My argument is that an experience like BTB is better off without having the addition ranking system on top of it.

I guess I don't understand how ranking really effects anything. It just provides a visual to users about who they are playing with/against.

Leyasu

Banned

I got gold 1 after my 10 placements. I ranked up to diamond Saturday pretty much... With the exception of a few games here and there.

It's all luck with team mates and server location. I've had great/average/terrible games.

Gurrry

Hahaha I have no idea what you are talking about?

The regular jump is no longer super floaty and high. I remember in other games you could jump alot higher. Am i taking crazy pills? Is there no double jump?

Forgive me, im not a huge halo guy.

BraXzy

The regular jump is no longer super floaty and high. I remember in other games you could jump alot higher. Am i taking crazy pills? Is there no double jump?

There's never been an actual double jump. Jumps in past games have probably been a bit higher and more floaty.

You have clamber now though, so holding jump on any ledge that is within reach you'll climb up onto.

Trup1aya

The regular jump is no longer super floaty and high. I remember in other games you could jump alot higher. Am i taking crazy pills?

its all good. It was just a funny comment...

I don't think jump height has changed much. You've always been able to comfortably jump over another Spartan. You can still tap the crouch button at the end of your jump to get an extra boost.

I think the hang time has changed with each game, so in not sure which one you are channeling.

There IS an ability to hover, but it's unique to Halo5.

Halo reach did allow you the option to use a jet pack, however.

You might being thinking of the jetpack that were in Reach and H4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom