• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
The regular jump is no longer super floaty and high. I remember in other games you could jump alot higher. Am i taking crazy pills? Is there no double jump?

Forgive me, im not a huge halo guy.

Standard jumps are probably not quite as high as in Halo 3 (can't remember Reach)? You can clamber up things now though, just hold A when jumping towards a ledge. You also have a thruster which you can use every ~3 seconds to perform longer/trickier jumps. You can also hover mid-air for a little while.

It's absolutely mind boggling how Breakout is in the Arena playlist. It shouldn't be anywhere near it. I's not Halo, it will never be Halo, stop trying to force us to play it.

The fact that you have to suffer multiple games of Breakout just to get a game of CTF is baffling. Breakout has it's own playlist ffs, leave it there. Either give us a CTF/Objective playlist or remove Breakout from Arena.

I'm a huge Breakout fan (probably my favorite mode) but I completely agree with this. As you said it has its own playlist. CTF should too.

Gurrry

its all good. It was just a funny comment...

I don't think jump height has changed much. You've always been able to comfortably jump over another Spartan.

I think the hang time has changed with each game, so in not sure which one you are channeling.

Last one I played seriously was 3. It seems like this is a regular jump and I dont have a jetpack sort of jump. Is there something I can equip to get that?

Last one I played seriously was 3. It seems like this is a regular jump and I dont have a jetpack sort of jump. Is there something I can equip to get that?

I don't think so. There's armor mods for moving faster in Warzone (which you can stack for hilarity) but I don't think you can jump higher.

BraXzy

I'm a huge Breakout fan (probably my favorite mode) but I completely agree with this. As you said it has its own playlist. CTF should too.

Yeah it does feel pretty out of place. If it didn't have it's own playlist it'd maybe make sense, but then I'd argue it needed to be put in its own. Team Arena should be like 75% objective and 25% slayer.

In 3 you had equipment and you could drop a grav lift. In Reach you could pick loadouts or whatever with abilities and one was a jet pack which was universally hated for breaking level design.

Everything in 5 is just your core movement abilities accessible to everyone. Thrust, clamber, stabilise, slide and spartan charge.

Demise

I just read some of the complaign about the "short" campaign, but Halo 3's campaign was as short as Halo 5's one, if not shorter. It has not begun with the 343i era.

Trup1aya

There is nothing to increase your jump height, but if you hold the jump button, you'll grab onto nearby ledges and pull yourself up.

Alternatively, you can crouch at the apex of your jump, to get an extra foot or two. This is useful for jumping onto things without clambering (climbing), which allows you to have your gun ready to shoot at all times. It's tricky to pull off for beginners though.

Also, there is a "thruster pack" which allows you to extend the horizontal potential of your jump. You don't have to equip anything to utilize it.

Also, if you zoom in while airborne, you'll temporarily hover.

These are all basic moves in Halo 5. You don't equip anything.

I just read some of the complaign about the "short" campaign, but Halo 3's campaign was as short as Halo 5's one, if not shorter. It has not begun with the 343i era.

Halo 5 was one of the longer games in the series on my first playthrough. Halo 2 in particular is way shorter. There's a fair complaint to be made about lack of content (which I assume was a strategic decision which will be rectified through regular updates in order to keep the population stable, still sucks though) but campaign length is just not.

Jinaar

Is that Simon Pegg playing? :)

OuXuhzZ.jpg

Can I have this edition please? :)

http://imgur.com/a/G6xdJ

BraXzy

No one from 343 said this lol. It's always been "the week of nov 16th". Good possibility of tomorrow.

I think the fact we never got a solid date in the lead up to this week is why people took the only date given as fact. Even though we're getting the odd community update here and there I don't feel like there's enough communication with us all atm.

I wouldn't blame them though with the amount of crap some people throw at them for no reason.

Is that Simon Pegg playing? :)

Yup, it's from Mission Impossible if I'm remembering rightly.

I think the fact we never got a solid date in the lead up to this week is why people took the only date given as fact. Even though we're getting the odd community update here and there I don't feel like there's enough communication with us all atm.

I wouldn't blame them though with the amount of crap some people throw at them for no reason.
True. But why give a random date that could change at any time if you don't have one locked down in the first place? Week of the 16th is pretty dang clear. :p

BraXzy

True. But why give a random date that could change at any time if you don't have one locked down in the first place? Week of the 16th is pretty dang clear. :p

I'd have just left it at end of November to be vague so peeps couldn't complain but unless they had something set in stone I guess anything is going to be moaned at. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later this week.

I think part of the problem is the fact this is set in stone, or at least I assume it is. Ahh well, we will get it soon enough. Fingers crossed the Sprints do arrive today though, craving my behind the scenes fix.

Trup1aya

Better to just provide a date. It limits the amount of uncertainly and keeps rumors from spreading. A little clarity would go a long way.

They should also learn to underpromise and over deliver. The exact opposite of the confusion and dissapointment they caused with the map count communications.

week of the 16th means sometime between 11/16 and 11/22, right? If they aren't sure of the exact day, why not just say 11/22? No one will be dissapointed at 343i if they end up releasing it earlier than that.

Instead, they are dealing with the confusion and disappointment that comes with nebulous information.

I don't know why they can't grasp these concepts.

Akai__

I won 2/10 in FFA and got Onyx.

Not sure how the ranking in FFA exactly works, but this should never happen. Wished they would do the ranking system win based, like I described in this post. Obviously it needs more tweaking for things like FFA, because I haven't thought about that mode when I wrote it.

I was put into onyx matches after one or 2 matches of SWAT, it's like the system had already decided I was Onyx after going 23 and 4 or something my first game. I probably lost 6 out of 10 matches by the end but I still got Onyx somehow.

I dislike the whole "placement" thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting off everyone at the same rank a la Halo 3.

I won 8/10 and was placed Diamond. That also shouldn't happen as I think Diamond is the only thing that should be awwarded if you win all 10 placement matches. I don't really have a problem with the placement matches, but they don't really work yet.

I mean you never know maybe I'm not at Diamond level myself, but that game was just atrocious. My entire team would die and I'd be left to 1v4 or 1v3 for half the rounds. Ranking definitely needs tweaking and I agree Onyx shouldn't necessarily be given after the first 10. I guess some people are at that level from the off though. I got Onyx in FFA with 0 wins technically since I never landed first place.

I think after the reset it should work better perhaps, because people will have gotten a lot better or turned out a lot worse and will hopefully place more accurately this time around? Idk.

I believe it was Frankie who said that they need to collect more data in order to tweak it. Hope they have enough data soon.

I'd have just left it at end of November to be vague so peeps couldn't complain but unless they had something set in stone I guess anything is going to be moaned at. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later this week.

I think part of the problem is the fact this is set in stone, or at least I assume it is. Ahh well, we will get it soon enough. Fingers crossed the Sprints do arrive today though, craving my behind the scenes fix.
They'd still complain anyway lol.

Definitely stoked for the new Sprint episodes.

BraXzy

I won 8/10 and was placed Diamond. That also shouldn't happen as I think Diamond is the only thing that should be awwarded if you win all 10 placement matches. I don't really have a problem with the placement matches, but they don't really work yet.

I think my biggest problem with ranks at the moment is, they don't really feel earned.

In Halo 3, when I wasn't exactly amazing at shooters, getting up to the next rank whether it was Captain or Colonel, it felt amazing. I'd finally done well enough to get a bit higher. Sure, there were flaws with that ranking system but it felt like more of an accomplishment.

In this I have Diamonds and Onyx's and I don't really feel like I necessarily deserve them. They feel hollow.

For fuck sakes I don't need four breakout games in a row.

The only thing I fundamentally disagree with in Halo 5 is making every bucket outside of Warzone ranked. Nobody wants an all ranked only set of playlists outside of some insane competitive feitishists. In every Halo game that had both ranked and unranked, Unranked was always the most popular. With many reason why.

Ranked BTB should not be a thing. Bungie learned that lesson with Halo 3. There are just not enough organised large, competitive groups to realise it. It's a casual game mode, not an Arena e-sport candidate. I don't believe Halo 5 cannot offer an alternative to Ranked only buckets, BTB should be the launch of Halo 5's unranked offerings. If not, players are not going to stick around to long enough to care or get obliterated by a team of 8+ champion dongsters.

I agree that they definitely need an unranked playlist so friends of all ranks can play together. Honestly shocked they don't have one yet and decided to make BTB ranked.

It's absolutely mind boggling how Breakout is in the Arena playlist. It shouldn't be anywhere near it. I's not Halo, it will never be Halo, stop trying to force us to play it.

The fact that you have to suffer multiple games of Breakout just to get a game of CTF is baffling. Breakout has it's own playlist ffs, leave it there. Either give us a CTF/Objective playlist or remove Breakout from Arena.

Reposting this from end of OT1

I'd really like to see a team objective playlist somewhere down the line (social?)

CTF 2 flag (flag NOT required to be at home to score, save that for HCS and "pro" Halo)
Strongholds
King Of The Hill
Assault (neutral bomb or maybe single bomb)
VIP (to scratch the Team Slayer itch, while still having an objective to focus on)

I don't mind Breakout and SWAT but I don't think they should be in an objective list. They have their own dedicated lists but could actually work best as a "Hyper Lethal?"
There's only one other Spartan with that rating
playlist. Team Slayer can remain its own thing because it normally always gets the bulk of players anyway.

EDIT: this could leave us with

Team Arena (for HCS / competitive play)
Warzone (for REQs)
Warzone Firefight (for co-op)
Objective (social, includes BTB rotations)
Team Slayer (includes BTB rotations)
Breakout
SWAT
Weekend Specials (Oddball, Infection, Doubles, etc)
Customs

Thoughts?

I think my biggest problem with ranks at the moment is, they don't really feel earned.

In Halo 3, when I wasn't exactly amazing at shooters, getting up to the next rank whether it was Captain or Colonel, it felt amazing. I'd finally done well enough to get a bit higher. Sure, there were flaws with that ranking system but it felt like more of an accomplishment.

In this I have Diamonds and Onyx's and I don't really feel like I necessarily deserve them. They feel hollow.

Definitely agree. I'm a diamond in SWAT and platinums in two other playlists and I definitely should not be ranked that high. I'm not a high skill MP player and getting placed high has been quite humbling lolll

Defect

Getting rid of the placement matches and starting everyone at Bronze 1 would make me happy. Or if anything, the highest rank you should be able to get is Gold after the placement matches.

Bessy67

Having spent a considerable amount of time playing warzone this weekend I'm mixed on the req pack thing. I had no problem calling in power weapons and vehicles at will but I have acquired enough good certifications over my 30+ hours of arena that it wasn't an issue, would I have loved to call in a banshee? Sure but all I have is scorpions, gun gooser, warthogs, and banshees so I guess one of these will have to do until I get some wraith/banshee certifications.

Personally I enjoy collecting skins and certifications.
It would be nice if they gave you one of each of the lowest tier of each weapon and vehicle daily if you don't already have that card. Maybe not the phaeton though.

BraXzy

Thoughts?

For the Arena side of things I'd like to see:

Team Arena - How it is now, without Breakout. Less Slayer.
Team Slayer
Team Objective - Add in Oddball, KotH etc.
Team Doubles
Team SWAT
Breakout

Social Slayer
Social Objective
BTB

Maybe consolidate Arena and Objective into one overall Objective playlist if it is getting lengthy. And Social Slayer could purely be BTB if needed. I can see why the playlists are why they are though, at least for launch. Depending on the player population, some of these might get really stretched to match competitive fair games.

On the Warzone side of things:

Warzone
Warzone Assault
Warzone Firefight

Maybe throw in a Fiesta playlist in Warzone too where all Reqs are available? Something a bit more daft for funsies idk.

Getting rid of the placement matches and starting everyone at Bronze 1 would make me happy. Or if anything, the highest rank you should be able to get is Gold after the placement matches.

I don't think that'd work tbh, without them completely rethinking their ranking system. Since that just wouldn't work with monthly resets. You wouldn't want to grind all month to lose it the day after hitting Onyx.

RobNBanks

Banned
I actually think it's one of the better rank systems. outside of people being AFK/quitting like this is CSGO everyone in my matches seems like they belong here for the most part.

I have no desire starting out at bronze. I'll then play with legit bronze players while the other team is onyx/champion level players.

Team Objective playlist would be nice. Getting bored of Team ArenaSlayer/Breakout

BraXzy

I think the problem with ranks in Halo 5 is a lot of us want one thing while really they have been created for a specific purpose. Personally I want it to show how good/bad I am, be something to work on and be proud of achieving to show off basically. Like the good ole' days.

Whereas the system has been designed more as a... "Right people want a shiny symbol next to their name, lets create a system that attributes their behind the scenes skill level with a shiny symbol so they don't moan". It's less of an achievement and more just a here is my current category. Which is why the placement matches can put you in Champion if you're the first to hit Onyx. It's not meant to be a big flashy achievement, it literally is just matter of fact, here I am.

The same reason why Champion is a thing in general. It's just to attribute the current highest people with their own distinguished rank so it is easily identifiable. It's not meant to be some super crazy rare thing you work months towards, it's just a matter of fact. This guy is 33rd in the world right now, sorted, get over it.

Or maybe I'm rambling and need more sleep ;D

Anyone know when the SPRINTS will be dropping today?!

Can't wait to see what these are about. Hopefully something that directly ties into today's update. LIke some awesome secret announcement that'll blow our minds into the next galaxy.

BraXzy

Anyone know when the SPRINTS will be dropping today?!

Can't wait to see what these are about. Hopefully something that directly ties into today's update. LIke some awesome secret announcement that'll blow our minds into the next galaxy.

I think the last ones went up roughly 8pm UTC so maybe in two hours?

JackHerer

Team Slayer
Team Doubles
Team SWAT
Breakout

Social Slayer
Social Objective
BTB

Maybe consolidate Arena and Objective into one overall Objective playlist if it is getting lengthy. And Social Slayer could purely be BTB if needed. I can see why the playlists are why they are though, at least for launch. Depending on the player population, some of these might get really stretched to match competitive fair games.

Warzone
Warzone Assault
Warzone Firefight

Maybe throw in a Fiesta playlist in Warzone too where all Reqs are available? Something a bit more daft for funsies idk.

I don't think that'd work tbh, without them completely rethinking their ranking system. Since that just wouldn't work with monthly resets. You wouldn't want to grind all month to lose it the day after hitting Onyx.

That's too many playlists. Not one, but two objective-only playlists? I doubt they would ever do that. Better off to have both social modes combined or have Arena objective folded into regular Arena like it is now.

Above all this game needs at least one social playlist before they add anything else IMO. I guess BTB will scratch some of that itch for me because people tend to take it less seriously in general and I certainly won't care about my rank in that playlist. I actually would prefer BTB to be unranked.

Team Slayer
Team Doubles
Team SWAT
Breakout

Social Slayer
Social Objective
BTB

Warzone
Warzone Assault
Warzone Firefight

I had thought about separating this but I'm wary of having too many playlists due to dividing up the population. Ideally I would have even combined Breakout + Swat into "Hyper Lethal".

Also I considered how straightforward it is for people who don't follow this stuff to understand the differences. Too many playlists also hurts that as well.

BraXzy

That's too many playlists. Not one, but two objective-only playlists? I doubt they would ever do that. Better off to have both social modes combined or have Arena objective folded into regular Arena like it is now.

Above all this game needs at least one social playlist before they add anything else IMO. I guess BTB will scratch some of that itch for me because people tend to take it less seriously in general and I certainly won't care about my rank in that playlist. I actually would prefer BTB to be unranked.

My list did grow pretty long. You could just take out the two socials and class BTB social or do like you said and have Social Arena or something.

I had thought about separating this but I'm wary of having too many playlists due to dividing up the population. Ideally I would have even combined Breakout + Swat into "Hyper Lethal".

Also I considered how straightforward it is for people who don't follow this stuff to understand the differences. Too many playlists also hurts that as well.

I think SWAT is still pretty popular so it should keep its own seperate playlist

blakep267

Team Slayer
Team Doubles
Team SWAT
Breakout

Social Slayer
Social Objective
BTB

Warzone
Warzone Assault
Warzone Firefight

As somebody already said, that's too many lists.

- team arena( take out slayer and breakout. Add oddball etc)
- team slayer
- BTB
- Swat
-Breakout

-Warzone
- war zone assault
- Firefight

I don't see social coming anytime soon. They want people to play war zone for that

Welfare

My playlists would look like

Arena
Team Arena - Slayer, CTF, Strongholds, any other objective gametype they hopefully add in. No Breakout.
Team Slayer
Breakout
FFA
Team Doubles
Swat
Snipers
BTB

Social
Squad Slayer - 5v5 Team Slayer + Objective
Action Sack
BTB Heavies
Grifball
Infection

This is like the bare minimum to make sure everyone gets to play what they, with weekend playlists filling even more niche gametypes.

BraXzy

My playlists would look like

Arena
Team Arena - Slayer, CTF, Strongholds, any other objective gametype they hopefully add in. No Breakout.
Team Slayer
Breakout
FFA
Team Doubles
Swat
Snipers
BTB

Social
Squad Slayer - 5v5 Team Slayer + Objective
Action Sack
BTB Heavies
Grifball
Infection

That'd probably be my list in an ideal world but the population would be spread too thin. I was being pretty wishful with my own list tbf.

Trup1aya

I think the problem with ranks in Halo 5 is a lot of us want one thing while really they have been created for a specific purpose. Personally I want it to show how good/bad I am, be something to work on and be proud of achieving to show off basically. Like the good ole' days.

Whereas the system has been designed more as a... "Right people want a shiny symbol next to their name, lets create a system that attributes their behind the scenes skill level with a shiny symbol so they don't moan". It's less of an achievement and more just a here is my current category. Which is why the placement matches can put you in Champion if you're the first to hit Onyx. It's not meant to be a big flashy achievement, it literally is just matter of fact, here I am.

The same reason why Champion is a thing in general. It's just to attribute the current highest people with their own distinguished rank so it is easily identifiable. It's not meant to be some super crazy rare thing you work months towards, it's just a matter of fact. This guy is 33rd in the world right now, sorted, get over it.

Or maybe I'm rambling and need more sleep ;D

I am having a hard time following you.

The current ranking system has the same goals as the previous systems: providing an indication of your skill level, motivating you to improve, and providing even matches.

The placement matches serve to get you immediately into evenly skilled matches, as opposed to grinding through weak opponents simply because you have a new account. Instead of your ranking being a show of time commitment and skill like the 1-50 rank. It's purely a show of skill.

Y'all posting waaaaay too many playlists. I doubt they're ever going to want to top 10 regular playlists.

-Team Arena (no breakout pls)
-Team Slayer
-Team SWAT
-Breakout
-FFA
-Mercenary Arena (solo queuing only)
-BTB
-Social BTB
-Social Arena
-Social Slayer

And that's pushing it. Probably would drop Mercenary Arena and one of the BTBs if I had to pick in terms of likelihood.

Then up the weekend playlist count to 2 or maybe 3. Expand the selection process to "pick your top 2/3 of 9 available," which would actually solve a lot of problems now that I stop and think about it.

I'd love a regular Objective playlist too, but it's never ever gonna happen. Not enough interest.

Also, game really needs more modes, Frankles pls.

Competitive Ranked
Team Arena (for HCS / competitive play)
Team Slayer (includes BTB rotations)
Hyperlethal (Breakout, SWAT)

Social Unranked
Warzone (for REQs)
Objective (social, includes BTB rotations)
Rotating Specials (Oddball, Infection, Doubles, etc)
Custom Games

Cooperative
Warzone Firefight (for co-op)

This keeps the number of playlists low (9) as well as provides variety in each list. It makes it easy to understand where you want to go if you want to play pro or just have some fun for the evening, and even provides a cooperative play option. 343 can still make money on REQ pack usage here and with less players (say 8-12 on a team) they could even use larger BTB maps for Warzone Firefight. Weekend specials changed to rotating so they can last more than a weekend, and for the times when they aren't "active" — people can play them in custom games

I agree with you BraXzy, SWAT is popular but I'm just trying to keep the number of playlists down. SWAT & Breakout could probably still be their own lists but sublists of Hyper Lethal though to keep to simple for people looking at this and thinking "What do I want to play tonight?" or someone who buys on Xmas and thinks "Ok so what they hell do i do now?".
Also while a game is loading it should give tips on what you are actually supposed to be doing — I've played way too many Warzone game where it feels like my team are doing the absolute opposite of what they should be...

Ignore me, it was mainly a rambling continuing on my opinion on why ranks feel hollow atm.

It's because of a lack of visible rank mobility, is what I'm getting? You keep getting placed in Onyx and staying there, so the sense of having "earned" your rank is lessened. Rather, it's just a statement of "you should be Onyx, so here you are," vs having to claw your way up there.

My advice is to start sucking in placement matches so you can be proud of killing your way up the ladder.

Are we really at the point in the game's life cycle that 10 playlists is already pushing it?

Maybe? They seem to really want to keep things consolidated. Could be that they've got the population to support more than 10, but I really don't think they want to.

BraXzy

I really wouldn't want Breakout and SWAT in the same playlist. I feel like they are such different feeling modes and should stay seperate.

Meh, played 1 game and I am done. Game is laggy as shit. I can't spawn with reqs because it keeps saying 'retrieving data'. Teleporting as well.

Can we just get the option to opt for local only with longer wait times if needed?

Also, loving the spawns. Seems like the game deduces the shittiest spawn for you if you just equipped a good power weapon, zero shots fired from my sniper or lawgiver because I get fusilladed on spawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom