• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

First match of Breakout Arena:

G7Iw3EJ.png

1 Immortal
1 Bifecta
2 Extinctions
etc.

I only played it to get the daily win fast. Worked out better than I thought. Rocket Launcher is way too OP for this mode. Got 8 kills with it. lol

HaloGAF how do you feel about Arena Breakout vs regular Breakout?

Do you like it? Dislike It?

Is your view influenced by your preference/dislike of the way Breakout normally plays?

Do you see regular Breakout being the competitive list while Arena Breakout being in social?

Trup1aya

Is your view influenced by your preference/dislike of the way Breakout normally plays?

Do you see regular Breakout being the competitive list while Arena Breakout being in social?

Breakout is more fun to watch Pros play.
Arena Breakout is more fun for me to play.

Trup1aya

Finally got to watch the stream all the way through. I was compelled to say that Forge looks simply amazing, and the new lighting and effects will give Forgers the ability to give their maps and element of "soul" that rivals what 343 devs have been able to do...

That was until I saw Overgrowth. That map is simply gorgeous. The natural lighting, the merger of artificial and organic materials, that's how Halo maps are supposed to look. They've done a great job aesthetically. I can't wait to see how it plays.

Forge needs all classic gametypes, a way to apply textures, the ability to spawn AI, and access to all req weapons, and it will go down in history as the greatest thing ever.

Arena Breakout is more fun/less tense. It belongs as a variant in the Arena playlist, I think. And the flag doesn't belong since the maps are smaller but I understand it's to deter camping. Regular Breakout is also fun but it's more tense. The way the shields works is confusing though. It isn't clear when Spartans should/will die.

Was fun playing a few games again. Pretty amazed how quickly I got back in the flow after having played Fallout for so long. Game still feels really good.

Totally dominated during my Warzone game, I still really like that mode. BTB game went well, too, and the map I played was pretty cool! The Headlong remake, didn't look too hot but played pretty much exactly how I remembered it. Well done.

The daily win packages are kinda disappointing, contained 90% extra RP/XP cards I don't need. I just want to unlock me some more cosmetic items.

Warzone is cool, but after a few games of idiotic teammates you lose the urge to play rather quickly. Honestly 343, if you're reading this, get me a dedicated PvE mode and I'll probably start playing this game daily again. Catering to the pro PvP circuit is all well gand good, but I really don't care enough about PvP for it to be the reason to return every day. Just get me a insanely customizable and fun REQ-infused Firefight mode I can jump into alone or with friends, and I'm yours. Have it give some good rewards, so PvE players don't feel cheated when compared to PvP players.

Also, make some more types of REQ packs for god's sakes. Cosmetic REQ Packs, Weapon REQ Packs. Have 'em cost the same as silvers or golds but contain one or two items less.

I want arena breakout that switches sides like CSGO. I have so much fun on this gametype.

Flag needs to stay. Keeps a point of interest and maintains focus.

I don't like regular breakout. I don't like the maps, the aesthetics, or the shield system.

Trup1aya

But then most makes break down to whoever can grab the flag first and sneak it to the base. At least make it a stronghold capture point so you cant just end a round in 5 seconds.

Rounds can end quickly if people die quickly...

That's kind of the deal with this game type. You never no how a match will play out. Gotta keep an eye on the flag, and everyone's whereabouts...

If folks sneak the flag in, your strategy failed, especially when shooting the carrier marks it. Also, you know exactly where they are taking it...

maximrace

amount of content in these updates is impressive. Really looking forward to Forge and what the community will bring. I love those crazy custom gametypes on usermade maps, spent days in Halo 3 playing infection on forged maps :p

Deception

Rounds can end quickly if people die quickly...

That's kind of the deal with this game type. You never no how a match will play out. Gotta keep an eye on the flag, and everyone's whereabouts...

If folks sneak the flag in, your strategy failed, especially when shooting the carrier marks it. Also, you know exactly where they are taking it...

At least it needs to 2 flag. Rounds ending in sub 10 seconds is no fun at all.

Trup1aya

At least it needs to 2 flag. Rounds ending in sub 10 seconds is no fun at all.

Nah, you (or the people you are playing against) just need to stop letting people cap the flag so quickly... Play the objective. Granted, it just dropped an many people haven't had a chance to formulate strategies.

The round can end that quickly even if there is no flag. It's an elimination gametype.

Just make the flag not spawn until 30 seconds into a match, that stops flag rushing at the very beginning.

Nah, flag rushing is a legitimate strategy, but isn't without its own risks. I had a round yesterday where the whole team decided to push the flag. A single grenade later and they were all one-shot away from death.

The point of this game is that there are two ways to win. Remove that and all of the unique strategical implications go out of the window.

I've had rounds where the flag was untouched. I've had rounds where a team was inches away from scoring the flag, only to be stopped at the goal line. I've had rounds where the flag was used as a decoy to simply draw the other team out of hiding. I've had rounds where the flag was capped in seconds. I've had rounds where it was used as a last resort towards the end. All that and I haven't even finished my placement matches.

What makes this gametype awesome is that there are a million ways it can play out.

BraXzy

Not feeling Arena Breakout. First game mind, but that was no where near as fun or tense as normal Breakout. The start feels weird just running from spawn. People were just bum rushing the flag into the opposite base since they could tank a few shots.. Ehhh idk.

BraXzy

The other issue I feel with this is the fact a 1 vs X situation is nigh impossible, whereas part of the fun of Breakout for me was being last man down and pulling a clutch.

But I suppose it's not intending to have that kind of gameplay. It's not really Breakout, its Team Elimination. So the name needs a change. This mode would definitely be more appropriate in Team Arena.

Didn't watch last nights video.... Did they announce when Forge is being released?

Closest we've got is next week.

Trup1aya

The other issue I feel with this is the fact a 1 vs X situation is nigh impossible, whereas part of the fun of Breakout for me was being last man down and pulling a clutch.

But I suppose it's not intending to have that kind of gameplay. It's not really Breakout, its Team Elimination. So the name needs a change. This mode would definitely be more appropriate in Team Arena.

Closest we've got is next week.

Yeah, breakout style comebacks are damn near impossible... That's why this mode wouldn't be as fun to watch competitively. There's WAY less tension.

Comeback potential is essentially limited to winning multiple rounds in a row. But comebacks during a round will be very rare.

Strider

Yeah, breakout style comebacks are damn near impossible... That's why this mode wouldn't be as fun to watch competitively. There's WAY less tension.

Comeback potential is essentially limited to winning multiple rounds in a row. But comebacks during a round will be very rare.

I agree with the bolded... Even though I don't think I'll be a big fan of watching breakout either way.

Arena Breakout is much more fun to actually play though.

BraXzy

Breakout is more tense and unpredictable with insane clutches, but has issues like insta made deaths. Whereas this is more of a competitive, who can work as a team better? Without the crazy plays.

BraXzy

One thing I can already tell, Breakout OG is way more fun as a solo player... I can carry a team better without communication.

Strider

From Bungie's Lead Sandbox Engineer.

Fuck that. If I could get advanced aiming options in every game like what we're about to get in this upcoming update I'd be thrilled.

Let every player tune it how they want.

What is his proposed "fix" anyway? Just for them to switch it back to the beta aiming? What about those that like the new system better?

Do you think halo FFA could work with a gungame style setup? start with basic weapons and work your way over a bunch of req weapons until you get 20 kills or something?

One thing I can already tell, Breakout OG is way more fun as a solo player... I can carry a team better without communication.

It's just nice to be able to react in a firefight instead of pop oh i'm dead. It would be nice to see if regular breakout could work with full shields as I love the design and look of those maps, reminds me of space themed quake maps and I LOVE quake 3.

Trup1aya

Fuck that, I feel like that comment is pretty rude. Yeah the game should ship with default controls, and players shouldn't be "expected" to do it,

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving power users more options.

Also, their current game is as far from competitive as it gets, so when their solution is throw a shit ton of autoaim on everything, i don't think they should be giving 'pro tips'

Fucking disrespectful.

Trup1aya

Breakout is more tense and unpredictable with insane clutches, but has issues like insta made deaths. Whereas this is more of a competitive, who can work as a team better? Without the crazy plays.

Nah, I can't say one is more competiive or rewards team play better than the other.... They are just competitive in different ways.

OG breakout is certainly far less forgiving of mistakes though.

Fuchsdh

Not giving players options in Competitive shooters is a failure

Yeah I don't get this. The vast majority of players probably don't have issues with aiming (I don't) and won't care about the update; but it's there for the people who do and are willing to tweak. Outside of dev time, I see absolutely no downsides.

I mean, sure, if you could come up with a control scheme that works for absolutely everyone that would be awesome and there would be no need to allow customisation. Destiny is not even close though, and I'd quite like to see similar options added to it. Kind of surprised by how rude he comes across as lol.

BraXzy

What a joke. Why throw a dig at 343? Like has been said, pretty rude of him. I can understand concern overloading players with options but err.. Hello? It's optional. The defaults will be there for people who aren't interested.

What a daft and close minded response. We aren't all idiots running around like headless chickens with no clue.

Watching the Overgrowth gameplay. I like the map from what is shown here but one thing got me worried a tiny bit: at the 7 min mark, there is a spawn kill.

I know they're playing agaisnt a 343 pro team but I'm worried to see this happening after a week of playing it.

Edit: another one at 11:18

Edit 2: map looks a bit too small for Stronghold... no?

Strider

Anyway.,.. 343i did good with this aiming update.

I'm happy they are listening to the fans and givng people the options they are asking for.

People from Bungie need to stop throwing shade and start listening to their own fans instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom