• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

I need to play Arena Breakout with a team to really get a feel for it. Playing with folks who are all in parties makes for frustrating and random feeling matches. With the Breakout maps, you both start either side and with the symettry you can't really miss where they could come from.

It feels a lot less structured since there are so many routes and avenues in these maps. And like I said, no communication = no idea where they are.

SCREW GRIEFERS!

God how is this still a thing.. Every round at the start of the match this shithead shot us all on our team to the point we'd be a one shot/made kill.. So frustrating.

On the flipside, I dropped a tasty +14 in BTB yesterday

392_zpsldvz0upr.jpg

And this happened right at the end of the match

http://xboxclips.com/The+Henery/4e5776a7-ddb7-4084-ba38-32789695796d

I don't recall so much as brushing a team mate's shoulder the entire match. I laughed but lamented the lost req points. That came after the preceding game pulled me out of the server in the final few seconds of the match. Could do with a compensatory req pack for that 343.

Welfare

I'm glad 343 are letting me adjust dead zones because that could help fix my controllers drifting problems.

More control over how I can play the game is a bonus.

blakep267

I had a question about the war zone req bundle. If I buy it now, do the past packs then show at the same time, or do I start from the beginning. Example: I buy it and I look in my open packs and its 6 packs since its been 6 weeks or is it I buy it and I get 1 pack this week and 1 new week etc

Flag needs to stay. Otherwise folks will camp when they are down.

But then most makes break down to whoever can grab the flag first and sneak it to the base. At least make it a stronghold capture point so you cant just end a round in 5 seconds.

I want arena breakout that switches sides like CSGO. I have so much fun on this gametype.

Flag needs to stay. Keeps a point of interest and maintains focus.

I don't like regular breakout. I don't like the maps, the aesthetics, or the shield system.

How about if the Flag only appears when a certain number of players are killed?

Just make the flag not spawn until 30 seconds into a match, that stops flag rushing at the very beginning.

Or this could work. I like this a lot. I've seen matches where the flag just gets rushed at the start and it kinda defeats the intent of the mode. This is a pretty simple but awesome solution.

Fuchsdh

I'm liking Arena Breakout. I'd be fine with them just swapping out the normal breakout and arena and replacing it with this, since there's not the weird disconnect in terms of HP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm liking Arena Breakout. I'd be fine with them just swapping out the normal breakout and arena and replacing it with this, since there's not the weird disconnect in terms of HP.

It would probably make more sense for them to put Arena Breakout in the Team Arena playlist and remove normal Breakout from that list.

Trup1aya

How about if the Flag only appears when a certain number of players are killed?

Or this could work. I like this a lot. I've seen matches where the flag just gets rushed at the start and it kinda defeats the intent of the mode. This is a pretty simple but awesome solution.

I think these 'solutions' undermine the 'intent' of the mode.

You seem to be of the opinion that the flag should be treated as a 'secondary' objective.

I'm of the opinion that capping the flag and eliminating the other team should both be treated as equal in terms of priority. That makes the mode unique.

Cranster

Banned
I honestly don't understand why friendly fire being disabled still allows teammates to splatter one another with vehicles. Just possible lost a match of Warxone assault because an idiot teammate splattered a bunch of us on the Ghost while trying to capture Fortress.

Noobcraft

I can't connect to Warzone games, but arena is working for me. I got a super crappy daily reward from arena tho :/ (100 Req Points and a few boosts)

Edit: Warzone is back

TCKaos

Here's a neat table my friend sent me:

All things considered the newer one has actually grown on me a fair bit, but I'd still like a smaller chin and longer brim.

Wow Bungie has become very petty. Giving options to players is bad now...man

They've always had the issue of not trusting their playerbase, though. Even as far back as Halo 2 and 3. At least modern 343 is listening to the playerbase and responding. It doesn't completely make up for shit like the MCC and the 14 Day Try and Play, but at least it's better than them holding you in a form of contempt.

Madness

Wow Bungie has become very petty. Giving options to players is bad now...man

It's one dev giving his opinion on something game development related, ffs. He's part of the industry and offered his thoughts. How that translates to Bungie becoming petty I don't know.

Sory if this is an old question.

The new forge looks like it has a lot of features that were not used in the current BTB maps that could potentially make them a lot less ugly. Are they going to be updating them at any point on the future to take advantage of these?

And do the new BTB maps use these features or are they still plain as hell?

I thought it was fairly constructive criticism.

I can't really see what 343i are meant to take away from it. Halo 5 controls better than past Halo games for me now because I've gotten used to the controls and going back everything feels jittery and inexact. Regardless of your opinion on the controls it's pretty clear they put a lot of time into them, so it's obviously not a case of them not putting in enough effort. Some people are struggling to adapt so they give them the choice to make the controls more like they used to be. The only other option would be to force everyone to go back to standard controls which again would upset me and many others that do like the new controls. If this entire saga should teach developers anything it is that how you want your controls to feel is very subjective and down to the individual, which is the complete opposite of what he is trying to preach.

To me this is exactly the kind of "we know best" attitude towards players that made me stop playing Reach MP.

The new forge looks like it has a lot of features that were not used in the current BTB maps that could potentially make them a lot less ugly. Are they going to be updating them at any point on the future to take advantage of these?

Current maps will be updated, yeah. NOKYARD has said he's consulted some top men to improve the spawn situation as well.

Magwik

Banned

From what it sounds like they only had a week to make the BTB maps so even if they had all the tools they still would have had not much time to throw the map together

Strider

Yea it's not just Halo 5 that's messed up for me (couldn't connecto to lobby). Can't find matches in other games too and getting party errors.

I think these 'solutions' undermine the 'intent' of the mode.

You seem to be of the opinion that the flag should be treated as a 'secondary' objective.

I'm of the opinion that capping the flag and eliminating the other team should both be treated as equal in terms of priority. That makes the mode unique.

The intent of the flag was to stop people hiding or camping when most of their team was killed though. I don't remember when they said it but it was a change they made based on data from the beta.

The flag was added to stop those types of matches dragging out. The original intent of the game has always been tactical elimination of the other team. Flag running *was* a secondary priority. The Flag rush you see in some games was never intentional. Its just an example of the community exploiting the metagame, like some recent vids floating around that show how to roast Wamik and Lochagos in WZ real quick.

(we really need randomised boss timers for that IMO)

It's one dev giving his opinion on something game development related, ffs. He's part of the industry and offered his thoughts. How that translates to Bungie becoming petty I don't know.
It's just the way he framed it came off that way. Saying they "gave up" and "pro tip" is definitely a dickish way to word it.

Trup1aya

Nah it didn't just give an opinion. He served his opinion On a platter of condescending 'advice' to other developers. He stated it as if it were a FACT that providing options is a bad thing.

Strider

Flag spawns after the first kill?

Nah it didn't just give an opinion. He served his opinion On a platter of condescending 'advice' to other developers. He stated it as if it were a FACT that providing options is a bad thing.

Yep. He straight up said it's a bad decision and "Don't give up and do this" ... That's the part that bothers me. All kinda shade was thrown at 343 in that statement. He implied they are giving us the options because they couldn't "solve input to intent issues for the player" themselves.

Nah. They are giving us the options because we asked for them.

Trup1aya

The intent of the flag was to stop people hiding or camping when most of their team was killed though. I don't remember when they said it but it was a change they made based on data from the beta.

The flag was added to stop those types of matches dragging out. The original intent of the game has always been tactical elimination of the other team. Flag running *was* a second priority. The Flag rush you see in some games was never intentional. Its just an example of the community exploiting the metagame, like some recent vids floating around that show how to roast Wamik and Lochagos in WZ real quick.

(we really need randomised boss timers for that IMO)

Yes that was the intention of the original breakout. But one mans 'exploit' is another mans "happy accident".

The current "Dual objective" nature of Arena Breakout is a lot of fun, and true to the dynamism that is present in most Halo gametypes, even if that wasn't the intention of the original breakout.

pieface

How frustrating, been waiting for my buddy all day to get home to play some halo. Start to play at 8pm, and Xbox Live is gone. Arrrgghh. Please come back, I want my halos

Welfare

Arena Breakout is the better of the two. This needs to replace Breakout in Team Arena and in HCS. Regular Breakout stays in its own playlist.

Arena Breakout is the better of the two. This needs to replace Breakout in Team Arena and in HCS. Regular Breakout stays in its own playlist.

Yup, everyone wins. People who don't like vanilla Breakout don't have to play it and people who do can still do so in a dedicated playlist. I suppose people who don't like either still lose out, but it seems to be a small minority.

Current maps will be updated, yeah. NOKYARD has said he's consulted some top men to improve the spawn situation as well.

Oh good!
New forge seems to be capable of some half decent looking stuff as opposed to the current forge maps which are like needles in the eyes.

From what it sounds like they only had a week to make the BTB maps so even if they had all the tools they still would have had not much time to throw the map together

I want that ship good looking maps, not excuses!

Y3rRp6g.jpg

Strider

This needs to replace Breakout in Team Arena

Agreed.

and in HCS

That'd probably be a bad move tbh. Game types and settings have been announced already, teams have been preparing and qualifiers have already started.

It's probably too late for a change at this point. I could imagine the players competing getting upset if they've spent a bunch of time practicing Breakout only for it to be removed from play.

Welfare

They play breakout in HCS?
Yes they do.
That'd probably be a bad move tbh. Game types and settings have been announced already, teams have been preparing and qualifiers have already started.

It's probably too late for a change at this point. I could imagine the players competing getting upset if they've spent a bunch of time practicing Breakout only for it to be removed from play.

It's like an upgrade though, and plays more like regular Halo 5 than normal Breakout.

This is also another example of how this game is so fucking barebones in gametypes. Arena Breakout logically should've been an alternative from the beginning and the pro's would have decided which one is better.

Random17

Comments of an employee tend to reflect a company, especially if that employee is the person responsible for responding to feedback (which may or may not be the case with this guy, idk).

It's a symptom of an underlying change in the Bungie mentality. Reach was rich with player options; to the point that every 343i and Bungie game post Reach has been disappointing in this regard.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
From Bungie's Lead Sandbox Engineer.

While this came off as kinda douchey, I can see his point. You know, aside from the fact that players are not expected to fiddle with settings as it works out of the box just fine.

IHaveIce

Banned
To be fair Destiny is one of the best controlling FPS games I have ever played. Controls become natural. Halo 5 isn't as natural.
As someone who also played a lot of Destiny I wholeheartly disagree. Slow sensitivity, autoaim to the max, ads necessary in most cases and hover jumps.
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom