• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Look what Marty O'Donnell uploaded!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAcvB-1hGs

Guize, support for 8 textures AT FULL SPEED!!

Show+us+the+back+1+_d152b6de04d1c9737200d594843c61bd.jpg

What a little gem Marty found, I want to see 343 recreate this.

Akai__

Yeah the inconsistent timing of everything isn't great. It'd be nice to have stuff scheduled so you know when to look forward to it.

I agree, I can understand shuffled timetables if tournaments are happening 343 is attending but a exact timepoint when we can expect things would be glorious

Bungie really did practice clear, consise, consistent communication. I do miss that. I don't miss Reach though.

I was kinda hoping Bravo would realize this, when he arrived in Germany last week and was up until 4am our time to post it.

And Trup1aya, nobody really misses Reach outside of Campaign and Firefight maybe. :p

Show+us+the+back+1+_d152b6de04d1c9737200d594843c61bd.jpg

What a little gem Marty found, I want to see 343 recreate this.

That Skybox though... yum

Wait, are we plats the new
trash.png
tier?

Why was I not notified?

mjcry1.png
mjcry1.png
mjcry1.png

I guess since i was in plat it was considered trash :( prob cause of the heat i got when we all were talking about halo 2 levels lulz.

G0SU setting the bar, to
make everyone's lives horrible
. So that means Diamond is trash tier now and they will only accept onyx clips.

DeanCrying.gif
?

Strider

I've submitted this to waypoint montages. Surely I'll get in... With no suicides involved this is an impressive amount of deaths in such a small time period if I do say so myself.

Part 1

Part 2

I'll git gud one day

BraXzy

I'd never seen this before haha. What an awesome lil' promo video.

I was kinda hoping Bravo would realize this, when he arrived in Germany last week and was up until 4am our time to post it.

And Trup1aya, nobody really misses Reach outside of Campaign and Firefight maybe. :p

Woah woah. Don't forget the UI and Challenges. Ahem. 343. Cough.

banned for 8 hours...... I only quit a match last night to join gaffers in warzone and I quit one right now because my team-mate raged and left during a doubles match

so much for having a halo day :(

The ranking system and the way it matches you with other players is absolute shit. Game won't let me get past gold 4 and its shit tier garbage. Whatever.

JackHerer

The ranking system and the way it matches you with other players is absolute shit. Game won't let me get past gold 4 and its shit tier garbage. Whatever.

I do think that the fact that your visible rank has little to do with who you are actually matched with is kind of weird and problematic in some ways. It is easily possible to get stuck at a rank you don't belong at this way. If you're plat 4 or something but the game decides you're as good as a diamond or even onyx players, that's who you'll play and it's gonna make it extremely difficult for you to get out of plat compared to if you where actually playing other plats (like in past ranked systems in which you were generally matched with people near your level).

I understand why: it leads to balanced matches more quickly than if everyone had to grind all the way up from scratch. The regular rank reset and repeating of placement matches somewhat counters the above issue though.

I will also say that the placement system is very inconsistent on a fresh account. I've placed on an alt account before to understand more how it works and on this account I ended with nearly a 4.0 k/d and had 100% win rate and the game put me in plat.... It was like the game just never increased the skill level of my opponents in response to my performance like it normally would. My main account placed Onyx in the same playlist. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Edit: to further demonstrate my point, on the alt I mentioned above, a few games in after my placement matches were over I started to be matched with Diamond and Onyx players...

Trup1aya

The cross hair still has to touch the opponent for the magnetism to take effect, but it doesn't have to be directly on them. You can have the edge of the cross hair on the opponent and the bullets will magnetize.

http://youtu.be/DG11BbBt05o

At the 2min mark... Looks to me like the cross hairs are the same size, but the h2br magnetizes when the H5 doesn't... The Spartan appears to be just outside of the crosshairs.

I do think that the fact that your visible rank has little to do with who you are actually matched with is kind of weird and problematic in some ways. It is easily possible to get stuck at a rank you don't belong at this way. If you're plat 4 or something but the game decides you're as good as a diamond or even onyx players, that's who you'll play and it's gonna make it extremely difficult for you to get out of plat compared to if you where actually playing other plats (like in past ranked systems in which you were generally matched with people near your level).

I understand why: it leads to balanced matches more quickly than if everyone had to grind all the way up from scratch. The regular rank reset and repeating of placement matches somewhat counters this issue though.

I will also say that the placement system is very inconsistent on a fresh account. I've placed on an alt account before to understand more how it works and one time I had a 4.0 k/d and 100% win rate and the game put me in plat.... It was like the game just never increased the skill level of my opponents in response to my performance like it normally would. My main account placed Onyx in the same playlist. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Yep. I can't get off these horrible teams. I might as well quit. Im stuck in a rank because other people suck. How is that fair?
Wow down to gold 2. Fuck this game already lol. It doesn't encourage you to play your best. It just shits on you instead.

Trup1aya

Yep. I can't get off these horrible teams. I might as well quit. Im stuck in a rank because other people suck. How is that fair?
Wow down to gold 2. Fuck this game already lol. It doesn't encourage you to play your best. It just shits on you instead.

In principle it works just like any other halo game. You get matched with and against players of similar skill. As you win, you rank up and get tougher opponents and better teamates...

If you were truly better than gold, you should be leading your teams to victory and ranking up.

JackHerer

Wow, just went on a roll. From 1500 to 1643. Also i've played Riptide 4 out of my last 8 games. :l

I've noticed a very dominant strategy forming on Riptide: grab the storm rifle and hide behind a one of the numerous blind corners staring at your radar. The tight hallways and cramped areas of the map make this extremely effective unfortunately. SR is hurting the meta overall IMO.

I have a feeling Riptide is weighted more. I looked at my last ten and five were Riptide or it could just be really bad luck!

Definitely feels that way. In Warzone I find Urban and Noctus come up about half the time as well.

I've noticed a very dominant strategy forming on Riptide: grab the storm rifle and hide behind a one of the numerous blind corners staring at your radar. The tight hallways and cramped areas of the map make this extremely effective unfortunately. SR is hurting the meta overall IMO.

That's pretty much the strat for every map! SR is pretty lol. It's weird though, I see it being abused so much in Arena. However, when I go to WZ hardly anyone uses it and it's only a level one req.

JackHerer

In principle it works just like any other halo game. You get matched with and against players of similar skill. As you win, you rank up and get tougher opponents and better teamates...

If you were truly better than gold, you should be leading your teams to victory and ranking up.

No this doesn't work like any other Halo game. In other Halo games if you were a level 10 you faced people at that level +- a couple levels. Generally the H5 system works as intended and is pretty good IMO but it has its flaws.

Love getting put against a team of onyx players. Thats fantastic.

If he's actually being matched against all Onyx teams as Gold then that's kind of messed up I guess. But what rank are your teammates in these types of games? They should be of similar skill to your opponents...

Only so much one can do...
jeLXGTL.jpg

Leyasu

Banned

I have also noticed that alot of people camp the room above the beam rifle.

The BR (halo 2) and SR combo is my fav on that map..

I've noticed a very dominant strategy forming on Riptide: grab the storm rifle and hide behind a one of the numerous blind corners staring at your radar. The tight hallways and cramped areas of the map make this extremely effective unfortunately. SR is hurting the meta overall IMO..
Yeah, it'd drive me crazy if I did the entire game though. I almost always pick it up though when I spawn next to it.
I have a feeling Riptide is weighted more. I looked at my last ten and five were Riptide or it could just be really bad luck!

At first I thought it was because I kept backing out after games. But i even let the intermission finish and I got it back to back one time in Slayer...

JackHerer

I have also noticed that alot of people camp the room above the beam rifle.

The BR (halo 2) and SR combo is my fav on that map..

Yup, that's one of the ideal spots for storm rifling. Especially if you catch people off guard coming down that hallway from top mid. There's no escape potential at all really.

That's just one game tho... What about all the other games. You put up stats like that every game you'd be out of gold quickly
Come on man no one puts up stats like that every game. But the fact that I can put up stats like that even if only on occasion is proof enough I can play the game just fine. If everyone wants to assume I'm right where I should be that's fine. I'm not even going to argue lol.

Strider

Come on man no one puts up stats like that every game. But the fact that I can put up stats like that even if only on occasion is proof enough I can play the game just fine. If everyone wants to assume I'm right where I should be that's fine. I'm not even going to argue lol.

A really good player would put up stats like that in eveyr game against gold players tho. thats the point.

It's a team game. Yea you will have bad teammates sometimes but if you are truly better than your rank you will do better than average and climb.

Is it the SR hurting the meta or the motion tracker? Is it the H3 BR hurting the meta or are the rest of the weapons not good enough? Is the CE Pistol really OP or was it just the only mid range weapon in that sandbox? My point is, perhaps the problem isn't with what's most immediately apparent, rather an inherent issue with motion tracker and it allowing for camping/heavy defensive play with relative ease.

Without motion tracker:
  • Mind games ^
  • Creativity ^
  • Power as an individual player ^ (will help with party matching -- solo players have more of a chance when their every move isn't easily being read by a communicating team)
  • Freedom of movement ^
All while camping and stalls become less prevalent.

BraXzy

Is it the SR hurting the meta or the motion tracker? Is it the H3 BR hurting the meta or are the rest of the weapons not good enough? Is the CE Pistol really OP or was it just the only mid range weapon in that sandbox? My point is, perhaps the problem isn't with what's most immediately apparent, rather an inherent issue with motion tracker and it allowing for camping/heavy defensive play with relative ease.

Honestly, I need to play some customs with radar off. I feel like it could potentially make people more campy, since there's no longer that safety buffer in the bottom left corner. Or maybe people will sprint around spartan charging like crazy with no penalty for doing so.

That guy camping round a corner with SR no longer has a radar to stare at sure, but does that make him start moving, or get even more nervous and tuck harder into the corner? What changed for the guy running into that situation?

At competitive play maybe? In normal arena? Idk.

JackHerer

Without motion tracker:
  • Mind games ^
  • Creativity ^
  • Power as an individual player ^ (will help with party matching -- solo players have more of a chance when their every move isn't easily being read by a communicating team)
  • Freedom of movement ^
All while camping and stalls become less prevalent.

I mentioned that the motion tracker contributes to the problem. It's central to it actually in this case. There's multiple ways you could fix this. Removing radar would solve this problem for the most part but I have no idea if that is something 343 would be willing to do. Casuals feel naked without motion tracker IME.

Edit: That's a good point about removing radar potentially causing a practical buff to spartan charge. Could be other negative consequences to the H5 sandbox as well. Would be cool of them to turn off radar in certain playlists for a week or something as an experiment so we can compare and see how it would really pan out.

Honestly, I need to play some customs with radar off. I feel like it could potentially make people more campy, since there's no longer that safety buffer in the bottom left corner. Or maybe people will sprint around spartan charging like crazy with no penalty for doing so.
Spartan Charge is already balanced in its design, in my opinion. It's the nerf sprint+melee needed since Reach by locking people into that animation, and it should be fairly easy to win a battle against someone who Spartan Charges you while you're paying attention.
That guy camping round a corner with SR no longer has a radar to stare at sure, but does that make him start moving, or get even more nervous and tuck harder into the corner? What changed for the guy running into that situation?

At competitive play maybe? In normal arena? Idk.
Competitive play = normal arena, first off. Let's not trick ourselves into thinking Halo 5 isn't currently 90% of people playing to win like their lives are on the line in these ranked Arena playlists lol

The guy who tucks further into a corner (whatever that really means lol, because you can't physically hide any more on these maps unless you break out of them) is not really doing anything beneficial. In fact, they could be hurting their team more than anything. What benefit is there to sitting in one spot when the enemy team can't see your movement without directly seeing you?

None, really. It would force players to be more active in their movement and creative in their approaches as time progresses. Currently, bad players stay bad by relying on these crutches instead of being pushed onto a bike and letting them fall a few times until they learn. Tons of games in general, and even gametypes in Halo don't have motion tracker, but you don't see people complaining there. Who complains that SWAT doesn't have motion tracker? No one, and it has been one of the most popular playlists for years now.

EDIT: Mind you, I'm talking about motion tracker, so if they want to test sound-based radar (ie: Advanced Sensors Armor Mod we currently have in H5) as default then I'd be excited to try it out.

Magwik

Banned
Apparently trying to play Halo with a band-aid on my right thumb isn't the best idea. Why did I have to accidentally cut my thumb yesterday >.>

Top Bottom